Pure Moonlight (closed)

Mako nodded excitedly, hugging his brother's waist before he turned to run towards Ghell. The small cub was raring to go as they left the garden and he instantly took off at a run towards the market.

Ghell trotted after the boy, his long stride making it a little easier to keep up. "Don't get too far ahead," he called as Mako hurried down the road.

Mako did his best to stay within distance of Ghell. He was soon running on all fours, his speed even better than on his still thin legs. By the time that they made it to the market, he was panting. The little cub was incredibly happy at being able to run to his heart's content.

Ghell snatched Mako up as they entered the marketplace, just in time for Hara to see them. "Mako!" She called. "Hello, sweetheart. Hi, Ghell."

Ghell carried Mako over to the little woman as she sorted through produce with her workers. "Keeping busy, love?" Ghell asked with a smile.

"As ever. A few more of my little ones are joining me here and Gavros is still tending to the others. I see Mako's thriving."

"Selena does her best. We gave her a break today, though, and this cub needed to get some energy out."

"We ran!" Mako exclaimed as Ghell scooped him up and showed him to Hara. "I gotted beans too."

Mako's little tail seemed to wag non stop as Ghell held him, his excitement almost contagious.

"I think you found your place, little cub," Hara ruffled his fur before welcoming them both to sit down and have a snack in exchange for help shucking a few ears of corn which Ghell was all too happy to teach Mako to do. It'd give him a head start for later on when Ghell picked his own.

"I love Mama. And dad." Mako announced as Hara told him that he had found his place. "And Ru. And Luna. And Jan. And Gran..."

He was listening all of the people that he knew and loved, shucking the corn and talking Ghell's ear off with his boundless energy.

Ghell let him talk all he liked, giving him all the attention he wanted. Mako was so good about behaving when he was asked that he was given all the freedom to talk and run when he liked.

When Mako grew tired, it seemed that the only thing that drooped was his ever wagging tail. His eyes were still bright, if not slightly weary, but his tail had slowed to a crawl. When Ghell picked him up, he instantly curled against the older wolf's chest, yawned, and went to sleep without hesitation.

When Ghell returned with Mako, he gave a smile to Katina as he passed her and went to put Mako in their bed to sleep. Ghell always thrived with children around, much like Selena who took after him in so many ways.

When Selena returned later that afternoon to pick Mako up, she was surprised to find him still asleep. The little cub was thoroughly worn out after his day with Ghell.

"You'll have to teach me your secret." Selena murmured as she held Mako against her shoulder, the little boy waking once before falling back to sleep. "Kreston runs with him all over the village."

"As long as he's good when I ask, I let him do anything he likes otherwise. That's all," Ghell told her with a shrug. "Gardening and running. That's pretty much all we did."

"He has boundless energy." Selena said, kissing Mako's soft brown fur. "Volgo will send him on short errands when he doesn't feel up to them. I think Mako might have found his calling in life."

"If he has, then he's a lucky cub, finding it so young." Ghell drew Selena into his embrace and kissed her cheek. "I hope you know how immensely proud I am of you. I talk about you almost as much my own children."

"You will always be my uvore." Selena said as she wrapped her free arm around his waist and held him tightly. "You kept Ma going when she wanted to give up. You taught me to speak languages I would never have gotten the chance to know. It's because of you that I survived to find Kreston and have two beautiful Cubs."

"Three now, even if he is a little out of place with that brown fur," Ghell chuckled warmly and nuzzled Selena's cheek like he had when she was young. Such marking had made werefolk approach her much more freely as a young woman, and she'd become known around Inverness as a sort of human champion for the abused group who suffered constantly at the hands of hunters.

"He's the perfect fit to this family." Selena said with a grin as she cuddle Mako a little tighter, smiling as Ghell marked her as he had been doing since the day that he had come into her life. "You know, I don't think Da ever really minded what we had with each other. He just wanted someone to love his children in a way that he couldn't."

"He kept me around for all of you children, but even as I started to resist him and get on his nerves, he wouldn't get rid of me because he remembered what you were like when I was ill. He never struck back at me beyond the usual. It was Oliver who was out to get me." Ghell sighed. "But... It was worth it."

"I'm glad that you never gave up on us." Selena said softly as she pressed her cheek against Ghell's warm chest. "That you never thought about leaving us. We wouldn't have survived. Not even Ma would have made it through any of that."

"It was my pleasure, love. Especially because back then, I never believed I'd have a family. You and your siblings were just a little piece of a life that was out of my reach. And I loved your mother. I still do. I would've done anything for her."

"She always loved you too." She said softly as Ghell admitted that he loved Kitty. "If Papa hadn't come into our lives, she very well could have found happiness with you. You protected her through the worst of her life and made sure that the children she loved so dearly were safe so she could focus on other things."

"I don't know if things really would've worked that way... not after Cole and Ciaran's father. But it's better this way. Kitty has a husband who can take care of her better than I could ever have hoped to, and I have a little family of my own. Though I think Telma and Arin know you were my first little girl."

"Well, thankfully they have never held any ill will against me." Selena said with a smile towards Ghell as he mentioned that she was his first little girl. "Telma and Arin have always been very willing to share their uvore with me."

"It makes for an odd family. You ought to be their sister, but your son is Telma's mate," Ghell chuckled. "That's what I get, I suppose, for choosing a mate not even half my age." He had hardly chosen. Things between he and Katina had been so smooth that they hardly realized it until Arin and Norr were born.

"I've never seen a wolf so surprised by two babies before in my life." Selena said with a laugh as she remembered Katina telling him that she was pregnant. "She was so serene when she announced that and you looked as if you had been hit between the eyes with a hammer."

Back