Punk rock, Hardcore, Oi!, Metal, Ska, Indie (and whatever else) Discussion and Anarchy thread

Thirty five years ago (1989), Operation Ivy released their first album, Energy.

Was the start of the second wave of ska and punk IMO.

And of course, Matt and Tim became the nucleus of Rancid.

The day they released that album, they dissolved, which is a shame because it's a damn good album.

I think Matt took it on himself to keep Tim from completely self destructing. If you look at Tim's projects between '89 and 2002, Matt is always on bass. I don't think that's an accident any way you slice it.

Absolutely wouldn't have it any other way because Matt is an insanely underrated and overlooked bassist.

Funny fact is that Tim asked Billie Joe to be the second guitarist for Rancid. Billie saying no and focusing on Green Day allowed Lars to correctly fill the role.

Tim, Billie, and their sons did a project together, I think it was creatively called The Armstrongs or something like that.

Omg yes. That solo on 'Maxwell Murder' is just mind blowing.
I'm still working on Ruby Soho, Journey to the End of East Bay, and Time Bomb. I remember straining my fingers in high school trying to figure out that solo. I'm 41 now and will probably be 45 before I tackle that one again.

One of the YouTube channels I follow broke this track down

Last edited:
Wow, that was really amazing! I totally know the song, and always liked it, but never really dove into it that deep.

I wasnt expecting much, but that was a great 13 minutes well spent!

Wow, that was really amazing! I totally know the song, and always liked it, but never really dove into it that deep.

He has been doing a lot of punk lately and it's really interesting. I didn't know music theory and I'm really envious of his ability to play by ear.

The New England/New York scene in the 80's and 90's was where it was at. The shows were amazing, hardcore oi punk and ska shows were the norm and you could most likely catch any genere any day of the week between The Elvis Room and CBGB's.

He has been doing a lot of punk lately and it's really interesting. I didn't know music theory and I'm really envious of his ability to play by ear.
I had never even heard that song that way before. It was very cool.

The New England/New York scene in the 80's and 90's was where it was at. The shows were amazing, hardcore oi punk and ska shows were the norm and you could most likely catch any genere any day of the week between The Elvis Room and CBGB's.
I hear ya. I was in the army from 89-93 so I missed a good amount.

I was (and still am) from NJ. Youth of Today, Agnostic Fromt, Cro-Mags, Vision, Madball, Adrenaline OD. Great times!

Fun times…

@NRJLIVES4ever

If you guys liked the Low End University video, Matt started his own channel called Matt Freeman's Bass Bunker where he plays through some of his favorites. Sort of if started during the lockdowns when Fender did an "artist check in" series.

This one, you can kind of see him go back to 924 Gilman St when he was playing this as a teenager.

I had no idea Anti-Nowhere League and Buzzcocks were still playing, that is awesome
Yeah, Pete Shelley died but Steve Diggle has been carrying the torch. Glad I saw em a bunch of times. One of the best bands ever, imo.

And yeah, animal still has ANL going.

Yeah, Pete Shelley died but Steve Diggle has been carrying the torch. Glad I saw em a bunch of times. One of the best bands ever, imo.

And yeah, animal still has ANL going.
My first taste of ANL was looking up the original versions of the songs on Metallica's Garage Days Inc.

I like the original version better. It just sounds grimy which fits.

I remember hearing “I hate people” on a the local college radio station. We used to tape the shows with a cassette recorder, to listen to later.

There was no internet then! It was prolly 1983/4! 😀

Back