Punk rock, Hardcore, Oi!, Metal, Ska, Indie (and whatever else) Discussion and Anarchy thread

Thanks to my recent tweak to my Rancid station, I'm hearing a lot more ska than what I did previously. Thanks to The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Goldfinger, and Less Than Jake, I had always thought ska was just the blend of the big band brass sound. But now I'm hearing it a lot differently. Though I prefer it when it leans more on the punk side of the sound than the reggae side.

Kind of wish I had been hearing this stuff when it was new, not 14 years old.

Better late than never, brother.

Although I always liked ska, it wasn’t till late 2000s I got really interested in original, ska, rocksteady, and skinhead reggae. Mostly all from Jamaica.

I wouldn’t consider myself a connoisseur of it. But I got a lot of Trojan CD compilations. Then I started buying a lot of old 45s. I really appreciate the soulfulness of some of the original ska/rocksteady and reggae.

although they are a little bit slower, maybe more like the original, bands like the Aggrolites, The slackers and the pietasters are all quite good.

As for more upbeat, punkier style our local band, also, good friends, are the Hub City Stompers.

40 years ago today (March 1984)

Minor threat released a mashup of their first two 7” EPs, Minor Threat and In My Eyes.

Still got my copy. It’s pretty scratchy so when CDs came out I grabbed one of those too. Favorite songs??

Steppin stone

Minor Threat

I was thinking of minor threat, and other DC bands that were not part of the whole discord scene. Two of my favorites.

Black Market Baby - Downward Chritian Soldiers

Government Issue - Blending In

40 years ago today (March 1984)

Minor threat released a mashup of their first two 7” EPs, Minor Threat and In My Eyes.

Still got my copy. It’s pretty scratchy so when CDs came out I grabbed one of those too. Favorite songs??

Steppin stone

Minor Threat
The Stepping Stone cover is pretty great. I Don't Wanna Hear It is kinda my fave. There really are no bad songs overall. Great stuff.

A lot of bands were tougher, a lot were more punk looking, but no band sums up punk rock to me like the UK Subs.

44 years ago today, Stiff Little Fingers released their second album, “Nobody's Heroes.”

my favorite song of that album, Gotya Get Away

For international women’s day.. Although she was not the singer, poison ivy was the shit! Always had a crush on her.

Last edited:
Thirty five years ago (1989), Operation Ivy released their first album, Energy.

Was the start of the second wave of ska and punk IMO.

And of course, Matt and Tim became the nucleus of Rancid.

Thirty five years ago (1989), Operation Ivy released their first album, Energy.

Was the start of the second wave of ska and punk IMO.

And of course, Matt and Tim became the nucleus of Rancid.

Nice! Did you ever listen to any of OpIvy Jesse Michaels’ Common Rider stuff?

I have now!

Thanks for the tip, I’m gonna have to look them up. That was a great song.

One of my fave punk shows was Against Me! in this super tiny club but the energy was through the roof. I got swept up in this energy and ended up in the pit with my high heeled leopard print booties (not recommended, btw) and just jumped around and moved with the sway of the crowd. When Laura Jane Grace sang the encore, she did it in it’s entirety while body surfing the crowd.

It was dank, it was sweaty, it was loud, I looked a mess when it was all done but it was one hell of a night.

One of my fave punk shows was Against Me! in this super tiny club but the energy was through the roof. I got swept up in this energy and ended up in the pit with my high heeled leopard print booties (not recommended, btw) and just jumped around and moved with the sway of the crowd. When Laura Jane Grace sang the encore, she did it in it’s entirety while body surfing the crowd.

It was dank, it was sweaty, it was loud, I looked a mess when it was all done but it was one hell of a night.
I’m a Talking Heads fan

Love that. All clubs and halls that host shows should be
It was dank, it was sweaty, it was loud,

Im 56 and still jump in the pit. I’m that old dude who doesn’t give a fuck.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Back