Psychological pressure in (BDSM) relationships

Primalex

Literotica Guru
Disclaimer: This post is written from my perspective of a heterosexual, dominant male. It does not infer that certain activities, roles, behaviors etc. are locked to a certain gender.

BDSM has the tendency to clash with regular cultural expectations. Today I would like to write about one of it - pressure.
We can categorize pressure into these three categories:

Category 1 - Immoral and illegal

This method of pressure is widely known under it's legal term "coercion". It is when you threaten with violence or other dire consequences. It is so immoral, that society decided to outlaw this. The stereotypical example is the:"We are alone at night in winter in the forest, far away from a populated area, you better suck my cock if you don't want to walk home alone." This has hardly any place in BDSM, except in prearranged CNC roleplaying.

Category 2 - Dire consequences without immorality

I nickname this kind of pressure the "dead bedroom" pressure. It is where pressure is applied onto the partner, but it is not really seen as immoral. One example is the "dead bedroom". When one partner lets the other partner know that "it isn't working anymore" due to lack of sex and it has to change. Another variation is "hard limit meeting hard requirement". One of my personal hard requirements is oral sex. I wouldn't enter a relationship or maintain one with a submissive that would refuse giving oral sex. Some people believe that this is immoral, too, and it's just that the patriarchy prevented that it got put into category 1. Nicely worded - I don't share this ideology.

Category 3 - Regular consequences

This one is interesting, because immorality is shifting from one person to the other in my opinion and so we can create two sub-categories.

The first subcategory is defined by pressure against valid resistance. Sounds complicated, but it's likely the most common occurrence in relationships. It's when the partner denies sexual advances with a valid reason. "I don't feel well.", "I'm sick.", "I'm not in the mood.", "I'm stressed.", "The kids are here.", .... The most common form of pressure against this resistance is "nagging" - repeatedly insisting on it. This is considered immoral. This is where the BDSM "Free Use" concept primarily hooks into. Unfortunately though, the above mentioned some people have managed to make the world believe that this is coercion. You literally find plenty of websites that will claim that this is coercion. It's not in my world. This is as much coercion as a battery is a nuclear power plant. Calling this coercion comes from an ideology that believes you are entitled to never feel negative emotions and need to be punished for making someone else feel uncomfortable. Nicely worded again - I don't share this ideology. I agree it's wrong (outside a premeditated free use relationship). It definitely is a red flag if it's persistent, but you don't become the devil if your first reaction to "No, I'm too busy." is a one-time "Awwe, come on. Seriously? It'll be fun."

It's just not feasible to have a relationship that is devoid of uncomfortable emotions 100% of the time.

Well, if the first subcategory is defined by pressure against valid resistance, the second subcategory can be guessed - pressure against questionable resistance. Is there such a thing as a questionable "No" in a "No is no!" world? This sounds like heresy. Well, in my world, there is, so I'm a heretic. These are the variations where withholding sex is used as mere tool to punish or control. It is:"He didn't buy me flowers at all this year, he can suck his cock this week himself.", the "He disagreed with me in front of the kids, I'm teaching him a lesson.", the "less sex will be better for our relationship, as we then have more emotional instead of physical intimacy.". Pushing back against these resistances (if you are lucky and actually manage to find out the real motivation of refusing) is not immoral in my book. It does not allow you to turn it into a category 1 situation. But it is valid to call this manipulation out and go:"Seriously? I think I'm spending the night on the couch, we can cool down and then we should have a talk about it tomorrow."

So, it is a questionable resistance - the appropriate behavior would have been to talk about the issue beforehand and find an amicable solution - and not use it as a joker during sexy time for maximum impact.

It is also the category where the dominant is pushing the boundaries of the submissive, an activity that is widely expected by submissives and where the dominant enters another minefield and only has his gut-feeling available, which is not a perfect tool - except in BDSM stories, where he reads the mind and knows exactly when to push which boundary and how and where it's always met with reluctant enthusiasm. Again, this is also not feasible to expect that this works out 100% of the time in a relationship and that you will never feel uncomfortable. If you want to be a submissive, then feeling uncomfortable once in awhile is part of the experience in my book; very much like stubbing your toe is part of the experience of owning furniture. You might curse a lot about the furniture, but you are not throwing it out of the apartment, because you inherently know - you can't have the cake and eat it, too.

So, here are my 2 cents.

Another variation is "hard limit meeting hard requirement". One of my personal hard requirements is oral sex. I wouldn't enter a relationship or maintain one with a submissive that would refuse giving oral sex. Some people believe that this is immoral, too, and it's just that the patriarchy prevented that it got put into category 1. Nicely worded - I don't share this ideology.

Me neither.
I’ve called it, with a slight tinge of cynicism, the ”It’s ok when I do it”- cathegory in a discussion.

These are the variations where withholding sex is used as mere tool to punish or control.
It is:"He didn't buy me flowers at all this year, he can suck his cock this week himself.", the "He disagreed with me in front of the kids, I'm teaching him a lesson.", the "less sex will be better for our relationship, as we then have more emotional instead of physical intimacy.". Pushing back against these resistances (if you are lucky and actually manage to find out the real motivation of refusing) is not immoral in my book. It does not allow you to turn it into a category 1 situation. But it is valid to call this manipulation out and go:"Seriously? I think I'm spending the night on the couch, we can cool down and then we should have a talk about it tomorrow."

Using sex as a weapon or to barter is rather shitty relationship behavior.
Your suggestion for handling the situation sounds lika a very mature and reasonable way to handle it.

I was going to say something about nagging too, but I’ll have to think about it.

I like that you wrote (BDSM) because this here is in my opinion the only part that is only(?) relecant in that context:

It is also the category where the dominant is pushing the boundaries of the submissive, an activity that is widely expected by submissives and where the dominant enters another minefield and only has his gut-feeling available, which is not a perfect tool - except in BDSM stories, where he reads the mind and knows exactly when to push which boundary and how and where it's always met with reluctant enthusiasm. Again, this is also not feasible to expect that this works out 100% of the time in a relationship and that you will never feel uncomfortable.

This is a bit of what I was after but couldn’t quite put words to, when I posted the communication thread.
This is where you need to learn to read each other and yes, still expect that it will be a bit hit and miss.
Saying that this never happens or never should happen though, seems less than honest to me though.

Using sex as a weapon or to barter is rather shitty relationship behavior.
Your suggestion for handling the situation sounds lika a very mature and reasonable way to handle it.

I was going to say something about nagging too, but I’ll have to think about it.

Well, I'm curious about it. I would expect the Swedish culture to have a much stronger stance on the immorality of this behavior.

Well, I'm curious about it. I would expect the Swedish culture to have a much stronger stance on the immorality of this behavior.

Yes, or at least parts of Swedish culture.
It was discussed a lot in the time while the Consent Act was prepared and it was very polarizing in the online circles I used to hang out in at the time. It is also one of the things that keep coming up in the wake of it.

I’m still thinking about what I wanted to say. I may get back to you in some form.

It was discussed a lot in the time while the Consent Act was prepared and it was very polarizing in the online circles I used to hang out in at the time. It is also one of the things that keep coming up in the wake of it.

This is interesting in itself, because media here always gives the impression that these things are like an unanimous decision of the Swedish population.

This is interesting in itself, because media here always gives the impression that these things are like an unanimous decision of the Swedish population.

There were long and bitter debates and there was ample critique when it was presented from for example the judicial review(lagrådet).

I'm not sure what you're saying, Primalex. Could you shorten what you're saying down to one paragraph? I'm not a fan of psychological pressure, but realize there are those who are. Thx.

I'm not sure what you're saying, Primalex. Could you shorten what you're saying down to one paragraph? I'm not a fan of psychological pressure, but realize there are those who are. Thx.

tl;dr: Some kind of psychological pressure is in most circumstances a normal part of a relationship and not as abusive as online communities tend to make it.

So, I thought about what I want to say publicly.

The most common form of pressure against this resistance is "nagging" - repeatedly insisting on it

I deeply dislike nagging in most situations in life. My kids will probably tell their future psychologists about how I pretended that my hearing didn’t work with whining nor nagging…

Unfortunately though, the above mentioned some people have managed to make the world believe that this is coercion. You literally find plenty of websites that will claim that this is coercion.

This though is problematic for me.
The law is not meant to handle every kind of asshattery that is out there.
Frankly I think some of the reasoning I’ve heard about this and similar things is relativizing by comparing things that are apples and oranges in my mind.

I agree it's wrong (outside a premeditated free use relationship). It definitely is a red flag if it's persistent, but you don't become the devil if your first reaction to "No, I'm too busy." is a one-time "Awwe, come on. Seriously? It'll be fun."

Yes, systematically used it can definitely be part of abusive behaviour in a relationship. Still not comparable to actually ignoring lack of consent, threatening etc.

I do think we should work to better teach kids that it is impossible to avoid disappointing others and that in almost every case both you and the person you disappointed will survive just fine.
Because honestly, if a ”Aww, come on!” or ”Sure you don’t want to?” is too much to handle, life will get difficult and possibly dangerous.

These are the variations where withholding sex is used as mere tool to punish or control.

Synchronicity again:
When looking for some quotes to show someone why they should read Chandler, I found this:
There is the blonde who gives you the up-from-under look and smells lovely and shimmers and hangs on your arm and is always very tired when you take her home. She makes that helpless gesture and has that goddamned headache and you would like to slug her except that you are glad you found out about the headache before you invested too much time and money and hope in her. Because the headache will always be there, a weapon that never wears out and is as deadly as the bravo’s rapier or Lucrezia’s poison vial.

People do not 'own' people.

People do not have 'owners'.

Period.

People do not 'own' people.

People do not have 'owners'.

Period.

What are you talking about? There is not a single instance of "owner" or "owning" a person anywhere here in this thread.

Back