Praise for some Halloween contest entries

I think if they were published with their category and/or story tags then people would gravitate towards those that the cite them. If I’m going through a contest list and fine one that is obviously incest I tend to just tune out.

Of course they'd gravitate to things that they like and that's fine.

Maybe I misunderstood the proposal. It's pretty well accepted that there are trolls who deliberately seek out works of certain authors and one-bomb them. The concept of posting contest stories without identifying the authors until the contest ends would undercut that. The day the contest ends, all names would be revealed. There would be some confidence that the stories' ratings were less biased.

Having had time to think about it, there would be a downside, of course. One of the big advantages of entering a contest is that readers are drawn to not only the story in question, but also all the others. People put you on their favourite story list, begin following you. I suspect anonymous stories would defeat that.

Maybe I misunderstood the proposal. It's pretty well accepted that there are trolls who deliberately seek out works of certain authors and one-bomb them. The concept of posting contest stories without identifying the authors until the contest ends would undercut that. The day the contest ends, all names would be revealed. There would be some confidence that the stories' ratings were less biased.

Having had time to think about it, there would be a downside, of course. One of the big advantages of entering a contest is that readers are drawn to not only the story in question, but also all the others. People put you on their favourite story list, begin following you. I suspect anonymous stories would defeat that.

As I pointed out earlier, that pro of foiling the trolls is likely outweighed by the con of not attracting your loyal readers.

That’s true and could be a downside for established au5ors, but it is very rare for newer authors to win these competitions and in the end it could level out the playing field.

Back