ORP anouncements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zircon said:
Hi Firesprite,

I'm doing OK, not great, but OK...and yourself? Which part of NZ are you from?

Z

I'm in Auckland, North Island... (they got really creative with the names of our islands!)

I'm ok.. kinda on edge for some reason... not sure why, I have been all day.

Hy, I thought it might be a reason why your punctuation and capitalization isn't always right. Didn't mean to offend, don't look so angry at me :(

Firesprite,

Think you can teach me the..umm..don't what it is called...war dance for the All Blacks?

Z

That'll be the haka. Haka is actually a genre of a type of song & dance, but this is the one you are talking about.

Ka mate Ka mate
It is death It is death

Ka ora Ka ora
It is life It is life

Ka mate Ka mate
It is death It is death

Ka ora Ka ora
It is life It is life

Tenei Te Tangata Puhuruhuru
This is the hairy man

Nana i tiki mai whakawhiti te ra
Who caused the sun to shine again for me

Upane Upane
Up the ladder Up the ladder

Upane Kaupane
Up to the top

Whiti te ra
The sun shines!

The haka is a war dance. The words are chanted loudly (shouted) in a menacing way accompanied by arm actions and foot stamping. A haka was traditionally performed before charging into battle.

The Maori pronunciation is basically one vowel per syllable, with the vowels having the European rather than English sound. The `wh' is aspirated almost like an `f' (f is good enough for most people).

As for what it all means, about 140 years ago, a particularly notorious warlike chief named Te Rauparaha of the Ngati Toa tribe (based just North of present day Wellington), was being chased by his enemies. He hid in a kumara pit (the local sweet potato, only much better) and waited in the dark for his pursuers to find him. He heard sounds above and thought he was done for when the top of the pit was opened up and sunshine flooded in. He was blinded and struggled to see those about to slay him, when his sight cleared and he instead saw the hairy legs of the local chief (reputed to have been exceptionally hirsute) who had hid him. Te Rauparaha is said to have jumped from the pit and performed this haka on the spot, so happy was he to have escaped. Undoubtedly, he also had in his mind to do a little pursuing of his own --- Te Rauparaha being that way inclined was he.

If you want I can give you phonetic translations of the words :D

Hmmmmmmm That's two threads in which you've avoided saying where you're from hybird... so what'cha hiding? You in some top secret bunker somewhere? No, you're some wacked-out alien observing us from orbit aren't you?! Pft, thought we wouldn't figure it out eh? Stupid aliens!

Hi Crysede.

Firesprite, thanks. The All Blacks were represented in the World Sevens here recently. Got the chance to watch them. The Haka had everybody in the stands trying to follow...LOL...one of the funniest things I'd ever seen...

Z

.....first i'm from cali......(california)second the reson i beat around the bush is not because of i'm aa aliens just that some relly strange things had been going on around my home...

and sorry if I hurt your fellings fire sometimes my hood living can get me edgy

hybirdx said:
.....first i'm from cali......(california)second the reson i beat around the bush is not because of i'm aa aliens just that some relly strange things had been going on around my home...
Are you sure your not from Cali, Colombia and under the influence of something right now?

oh and with that Maori pronunciation it can cause people no end of trouble keeping a straight face.. "wh" pronounced "f" is VERY common... take the word "whakapapa" for example.. its loose translation is "genealogy" (and is also a place name), and pronounced "fuck-a-papa"
Or place names like Waipu... "why-poo"

We are sometimes credited with one of the longest place names in the world.. I've seen the road sign. It is Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu
This Maori mouthful translates into English as "the place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as 'landeater,' played his flute to his loved one."

ROFL, Firesprite...that would make the answer to the question, where are you from? difficult to answer...

Hi PM, do you have an answer for me that I asked about the keyboard?

Z

Firesprite said:
I've seen the road sign. It is Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu
This Maori mouthful translates into English as "the place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as 'landeater,' played his flute to his loved one."
I want to move! God I want that as my return address!!

I'm much better, thank you, Pm

Expect 100% recovery within hours :)

Yay, Firesprite! Way to go! That thread is going to kick ass!

Return address?
I have enough trouble writing my city and province on the corner of an envelope, can you imagine trying to fit that monstrosity up there!?! Jeez!

Blaze

crysede said:

I want to move! God I want that as my return address!!

I've always thought it was quite romantic.. except for the big knees part..

Can you imagine learning to spell it? I can say it so long as I am reading it at the same time.. my memory is a.. what're they called? those things with holes in them?

Zircon said:
ROFL, Firesprite...that would make the answer to the question, where are you from? difficult to answer...

Z

Z what was your question? I think I missed it.

Zircon said:

Z
I've posted this once before, but it seemed pertinent to your question so I'm posting it again. Here's a nice simplified keyboard Microsoft's developed for use with windows:
ms-keyboard.jpg

Previous Page, PM and Blaze, when Blaze asked about the lack of ghosts in the threads today...hehehe...

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back