One Story, Dual Time Line

jaF0

Watcher
There have been a number of threads about time travel, real or imagined, and others about people living dual lives, or alternate lives. Some have referenced various TV shows, either dramas or SciFi.

I just stumbled on a TV movie I'd never heard of based on one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes, 'A Stop At Willoughby'.

In 'For All Time' (Mark Harmon, Catherine Hicks, Mary McDonough), a man finds a watch that he discovers can alter his timeline. He has experiences in both with two different women. Towards the end the watch malfunctions and he has to decide which timeline to remain in.

It would take a pretty experienced writer here to pull that kind of Lit story off.

It's an interesting idea. You mean like a fellow has the opportunity to see what his life would have been like if he had stayed with the ex, versus leaving and marrying her best friend.

You're right, it would be quite a challenge to write it successfully.

Sounds like the main thesis of the TV semi-sitcom "Goodnight Sweetheart" starring Nicholas Lyndhurst which the BBC aired in the 90s. About a man (Gary Sparrow) who could revisit Blitz-era London through a time portal. A girl in each era. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodnight_Sweetheart_(TV_series)

I was a great fan at the time. Wouldn't however see this scenario as lending anything particularly useful to the erotic or vice-versa.

The age-old idea of sailors having "a girl in every port" has been put into film more than once. Alec Guinness starred in "Captain's Paradise" way back in the '50s.

An SF take on it hardly adds much to the basic premise.

There was a very popular book a few years ago called The Time Traveler's Wife. I never read it and don't know the details, but it might be a good template for a time-traveling sex story.

I think the closest I had to that, was a man who seemed to live a different life while he dreamed. He met a woman and they fell in love, but awake was completely different. He started to look for the woman. I thought of this a few years ago and couldn't make it work.

Not too long ago, I saw a short film on I think Max about a person who invented vr googles. A black dude. He used them to escape the pain of his wife killed in a ransom situation. In the vr he was a white female lesbian cop played by Anna Paquin. Her wife was supposedly his wife. She would use this bed setup that was VR, and she started questioning if she was real. His physchiatrist friend kept telling him the vr goggles were destroying his mind, he was having memory issues that were supposedly due to the trauma. For some reason she was feeling real guilty about her life, and thought she should suffer.

You don't know who's real. He keeps having scattered memories that seem to be hers. It seems that she's his avatar. Her wife tells her to stop going in vr, it shows him looking lost, then he goes home and his friend took his googles to stop him, he gets angry and she gives them back and convinced him he needs to live for his health. So he stomps them.
Then the bed shows her essentially brain dead, trapped in the sim with her wife crying. Turns out she was real and he was the sim. I forgot who played the guy.

Back