On what do you write?

I write almost exclusively on my desktop computer using MS Word. I dislike trying to write on a phone and am impressed that some can do that. I'm fortunate, I suppose, in that I'm an empty nester so it's easy to find lots of time to be uninterrupted at my computer.

On an old crappy laptop. I hate doing just about anything on my phone. The screen's too small, the 'keys' are too small. It's mostly a repository for spam calls and the occasional text.

Lol... how, at 45, am I the only one who composes on the oldest-school version, pen and paper? 😂

Desktop. The screen is bigger. I can feel the keys. Have Grammerly helping and fixing my typos.

I can't imagine punching in a 10K word story on my Android. My fingers are too big and keeps hitting the adjacent key instead of the letter i want. It takes me forever just to type in a 20 word text message.

But then... I'm old.

Scribed with blood on the inner side of the skin of a ram, then burned under the light of the new moon with appropriate mantras. Admittedly, editing post-submission is challenging.

Lady, a word of advice from an oldster with neuropathy. Take better care of your hands. All that iddity-bitty finger business, including thumbs, will give you some major life-long issues down the road. Regular keyboards are my bane these days - pins and needles on every keystroke.
We will be the arthritic generation…

I am a bit embarrassed to admit I don't even own a working computer anymore and write my stories on my phone which is quite laborious and a bit annoying at times. Anyone else?
I write on a laptop but I use my iPhone for writing all the time. Waiting in a doctor’s office, far too long after my appointment time, I popped out a scene with dialogue. I needed an annoyed tone for one of my characters and my doctor put me in the perfect state of mind to write a bitchy character venting.

If I get an inspiration and need to write it quickly before I lose it, my phone is there to preserve the moment for later use.

gedit on Linux Mint desktop, blue switch clicky keyboard, git repo on another machine for near real-time backup and in case I ever need versioning.

Lately, it's been on my phone since I've been feeling more productive early in the morning and I would prefer not to wake up the spouse.

Editing and uploading are done on the laptop. I use Google Docs, although I have issues with random capitalization and occasionally deleting the entire word instead of just the wrong characters when using the phone.

Word on an ancient Dell laptop. I can't imagine writing a whole story on a smart phone! Just beyond conception.

It would be crippling to not be able to use a full size keyboard to write.

I type so fast it sounds like paper tearing, someone said to me once. I do not consider the slowness of a phone keyboard to be any sort of boon or advantage, or positive in any way at all.

I can't imagine not being able to write as fast as I think. Ideas would evaporate, I'd lose the thread. the process would be slowed down by a factor far greater than the difference in typing speed.

Levono laptop and desktop computers. I use MS Word, Grammarly for spelling and punctuation, and Jo as a proofreader before I send stories to my editor/publisher.

Levono laptop and desktop computers. I use MS Word, Grammarly for spelling and punctuation, and Jo as a proofreader before I send stories to my editor/publisher.
I'm in a parallel universe here. I peck away on a MacBook Pro, using an outdated version of MS Word that Microsoft no longer supports. Grammarly Pro helps with spelling, punctuation, and some sub/verb agreements. I send my work to Kenjisato, a Lit grammarian, who makes me look more like a fair seventh-grade-level speller/writer.

Among other programs, he edits on a PC with MS Word. There are compatibility issues with our versions. I get back things that I must retype to fix problems with apostrophes and problems using quotes with Italic fonts. It takes a couple of hours to review his edits, make corrections, proof them, etc., before they reach the final stage for posting on Lit.

My work usually goes up for sale for a few months before it's uploaded here. These days, we go back through the stories and check for anything that smacks of AI. I don't normally have an issue with that, but I fix all those software flags.
I'm in a parallel universe here. I peck away on a MacBook Pro, using an outdated version of MS Word that Microsoft no longer supports. Grammarly Pro helps with spelling, punctuation, and some sub/verb agreements. I send my work to Kenjisato, a Lit grammarian, who makes me look more like a fair seventh-grade-level speller/writer.

Among other programs, he edits on a PC with MS Word. There are compatibility issues with our versions. I get back things that I must retype to fix problems with apostrophes and problems using quotes with Italic fonts. It takes a couple of hours to review his edits, make corrections, proof them, etc., before they reach the final stage for posting on Lit.

I am old. My paternal grandparents bequeathed me gout. And I'm going blind. So a phone is for phone calls and three-word text messages. For everything else, I rely on a full-sized keyboard and a 60cm VDU hooked up to a high-powered laptop. Not exactly portable, but it works. :)

My work usually goes up for sale for a few months before it's uploaded here. These days, we go back through the stories and check for anything that smacks of AI. I don't normally have an issue with that, but I fix all those software flags.
Crossing what few fingers I have left, my work must be sufficiently "AI-deprived" that Lit doesn't honor me with rejecting it for such an attribute.:whistle::rolleyes:

Scrivener on an M1 16” MacBook Pro.

I became an expert touch typist long ago because I have dysgraphia (I can read fine, but I have trouble writing by hand— my penmanship is horrible). I can type as fast as I can talk. I often write with my eyes closed and just let the words flow out.

I use my iPhone and iPad to write down notes as I come up with ideas and they’ll be waiting for me when I get back to my laptop. But they’re way too slow for actual writing.

Back