Of the Fells

Theo just rolled his eyes, making Alex giggle quietly. It was rare to hear the boy laugh. Not that he wasn't happy, simply not comfortable showing much emotion yet after having gone through such emotional trauma so young. It was their last night before reaching the port that they'd camped out in the highlands, the town a little too far to make it for a room at an inn. Alex was half-dozing in the firelight as he looked at a book he'd gotten from his Uncle Brogan. A wolf-howl in the distance made him look up quickly and scurry away to Theo who was closest to him. "Da!" He cried, clinging to Theo's side. Theo's instant reaction, more instinct than anything, was to scoop Alex up and hug him close.

Valentina glanced up from writing in her journal as she heard Alex scurry from his blankets at the sound of the wolf's howl. She smiled at Theo as he scooped Alex up tightly and the little boy called him Da. It seemed that he was finally claiming them as his parents and Theo took on the role without hesitation.

"It's just the wolves saying hello, bambino." Valentina said with a smile. "If you howl back, they might answer in return."

Alex shook his head as more howls answered the others. "Those ain' just wolves, Alex," Theo told him. "Those're werewolves. Out huntin' I bet. They're talkin'. Sounds like they probably got somethin'. They call each other fer help when they can't bring back all the food on their own. They hunt for the whole village, and the village pays them back with anything they need. Wolves're the best hunters out o' most werefolk, thanks t'their pack hunting an' this howling."

That had Alex enchanted and slowly his fear melted away at the back and forth howls, though he jumped ever so slightly at the rustle of leaves and froze when two black werewolves paused outside either campsite. Theo raised a hand in silent greeting with a smile, and the wolves returned the gesture before continuing on their way.

"Your cousin Ruben is part wolf." Valentina said softly, laughing as Alex seemed enchanted by everything that was going on around him in the dark highlands. "I bet Anna has a little bit of were in her as well. Do you think that she's being good for Nonna right now?"

"I promised Nonna she would," Alex assured her. He slowly began to grow tired again, and fell asleep in Theo's arms telling of his trust for the man. Theo's heart absolutely melted and he smiled to Valentina. He was clearly in his element.

"I know this is all a bit unorthodox, but I'm very happy with our little boy." Valentina said with a smile towards Theo as he held a slumbering Alex. "And I know that you have a lot to think over. I hope that he gives you some kind of closure."

"I already foun' my closure with you, love. And you an' Alex're openin' up a new future now." Theo laid Alex in his nest of blankets once more, covering him up with care.

"He's opening up which is important. He definitely makes me excited for our future together." Valentina said as she closed her journal and took a seat next to Theo, snuggling up against his warm side with a content sigh.

Theo let his head rest against her own, watching over Alex for some time until deciding to turn in himself. They were up early the next morning to catch the earliest ferry across the sea to Ireland, and Alex was immediately wary of the ship. It was clear very quickly that sailing wasn't going to be a passion of his, but he thankfully didn't suffer from seasickness.

Valentina stood at the railing with Alex, bracing him so that he could see everything around the ship. She answered his curious questions as he pointed towards things in the water like the seagulls and the large waves.

"Look, bambino." She said, pointing to the green land they could just barely spot. "There it is. That's where the green dragon from your books lives."

Alex's eyes were already wide at all the new sights, but when Valentina pointed out the green on the horizon, she saw him, perhaps for the first time, go from his usual curious and shy self to the excited little boy he ought to have been all along. He slipped from her side to scamper across the deck to Theo who was busy mending a broken belt from his saddle. "Da, look!" Alex called, and Theo looked up with a smile.

"There's th'emerald isle," Theo said with a glad sigh before scooping Alex up and coming back to Valentina's side. Alex was always the most content huddled between them, and he happily watched then land grow nearer and the port of Downpatrick grow from the horizon.

"I got to come here one time before. When Brogan married Cassie. I was a small little thing, not much bigger than Alex." Valentina said as she leaned in and kissed her little boy as he watched the land grow larger with a look of wonder on his face. "And I know that Alex's imagination will be capture while we're here. He's already so much more responsive."

"That's because 'is Ma's always givin' 'im somethin' new t'be curious about." Theo smiled to his love and lifted Alex up high on his shoulder where he could see everything a little better.

Their journey onward once they docked was only delayed briefly while Theo fixed his saddle and then they were off again. Monaghan wasn't terribly far now. Their arrival was welcomed by some of Sarah's werefolk guard. Two centaurs led them onward and Alex, who'd never seen more than a werewolf, was immensely intrigued.

Valentina laughed softly at her son's reaction to everything that they saw. He seemed intrigued by the centaurs. He could hardly turn his gaze away as they acted as a guard for the small family as they made their way into Monaghan. Once they entered the gate of the keep, Valentina's demeanor turned towards business. She was there to save a life and she would take that job very seriously.

"My lord." She called as they entered the courtyard and found Ian waiting there for them. "We came as quickly as we could. I hope that we are not too late."

Ian looked absolutely relieved to see them, coming to take Raul's reins for Valentina so she didn't have to worry about looking after him before getting to work. "I think you're jus' in time, actually, Valentina. Shia's in th' east wing with Sarin. Sarah's ordered no expense t' be spared. You 'ave anythin' y'need, jus' ask for it."

Theo slid from his own saddle with Alex, and the boy knew right away he needed to stay close to Theo but keep out of the way. He'd started to grow accustomed to his new mother's work and knew her work meant staying by Theo. Theo took their saddlebags and let Ian and the guards take their horses. "Let's go, love," he told Valentina. "No time t'waste."

Everyone stayed out of their way as they entered, and Alex dutifully waited aside as they came to see Shia. Shia was in terrible condition, his breathing horribly labored and ragged. His mate Sarin sat on the bed with him, his head in her lap while she whispered softly to him. Sarah was there too, pacing nervously til Valentina stepped in.

Valentina didn't even pause when she stepped into the room. She quickly laid out her tools, glancing to those gathered before she focused on the task at hand. His breathing was labored, but his throat felt firm under her hand. It would be a mystery, she thought to herself. The wolf plague would some times cause labored breathing, but his mate seemed to not be effected.

"He's been like this for almost two weeks." Sarah said finally as she watched Brogan's youngest sister work quietly. "We thought it was just a cold. Then it got worse."

"A few werefoxes in the Hirim village were struck with it as well... The centaurs are immune, but the werefolk have been quarantining the infected and putting immune healers to work with them," Sarin murmured softly. "I would be helping them too, but I can't leave him." She stroked Shia's head gently. It seemed she too was immune, a sign of a Were who had either been born on the mainland or encountered the sickness in the past and survived.

"How did it get here?" Theo asked quickly. If there was a source, he could track it down and add it to the quarantine before it spread across the country.

"A group of cubs arrived from the Empire. Lady Sarah bought their freedom when a letter from their parents came to the King, begging for Ireland to take the children away from slavery," Sarin answered. "Shia and I were helping to find them good homes when the first Fox fell ill."

"They an' their families need t'be quarantined too," Theo said quickly. "Val, I'm gonna go see tha's done an' check on th'other villagers before this gets out o' hand." He kissed her cheek and turned to see Alex looking rather lost. "Al, lad, I need you t'stay here, alright?" Theo kissed his forehead and hurried off.

"I can look after him if you can look after Shia," Sarin offered quietly.

"It's complicated." Valentina said as she turned to look at Alex looking stressed and confused. "He's very shy."

She wanted to stop what she was doing and cuddle her boy until the worried look on his face went away, but she had a job to do. She excused herself for a moment and walked towards Alex, kneeling down in front of him and smoothing his hair back from his forehead.

"Would you like to play with Sarin, bambino? We can get your horse and dragon from the saddle bag or you could show her your book." She was struggling to soothe the little boy the best way that she knew how.

"I'm okay," Alex assured her quietly. "You have to work. And she has to stay," he said nodding to Sarin.

"I don't want you to be on your own, sweetheart," Sarin told him. Then an idea came to her. "Ian could care for him. Ian's very good with children." She rose from Shia's side then. "I'll take him and I'll be back, love," she murmured to Shia and he nodded slightly before she came to offer Alex her hand.

Valentina watched as Alex took Sarin's hand, trying to be brave as she led him from the room. Glancing back towards Sarah and then at Shia, she knew that she had to get to work. Once all of her tools were laid out and she decided what she needed, she got to work. She asked Shia simple questions, watching as he responded to each of them.

"I will need you to tell me if breathing becomes too much. I will insert a tube to help." She murmured as she mixed up the bitter herbs with a healthy dose of honey and mint.

Shia nodded slowly, murmuring to Sarah, "Sweetheart... I don't know if you should be here for this." Not only for her sake, but for the sake of his own image to her, he hated for her to see him weak and vulnerable. He'd been the very soul of strength and constancy for her all her young life, not even allowing sickness to slow him down. Only when he'd first found her again after the trouble in Scotland and over the past two weeks had he allowed any weakness.

"I'm not leaving." Sarah said firmly as she took a seat at his side. "Through thick and thin. You cared for me at my lowest and I'm not going to leave you now."

Valentina struggled to remain in the background as the both of them had their moment. It was deeply personal and she felt as if she were intruding

Shia simply reached out for Sarah's hand at that. Valentina had often been in the middle of such moments between parents and children, lovers, siblings, and so on. Sarah's relationship with Shia was special, one that she didn't have with her father. Perhaps the only other man who really understood it was her uncle the King of Ireland as he shared something similar, but not quite as deep with her.

"I need you to drink this." Valentina said as she offered him the herbal mixture. "It might not taste good, but every little bit I get into you will help you rest. It will give your body more time to heal if you can get rest."

Valentina helped Shia to drink the paste with Sarah's help. Once the last of the mixture was finished, she helped him to drink as much water as he possibly could.

"Do you think you could handle some broth? It would help soothe the pain in your throat." Valentina murmured.

"I don't know if I can swallow much more," Shia murmured. It had been hard enough to drink down the herbs and water. His throat just didn't want to work anymore.

Back