Of the Fells

Little Alex tucked his head against her shoulder without an answer, holding onto her tightly like he feared she'd leave him again. Raul made his own way toward his stall and Theo came in to offer some help seeing as Alex didn't want to let go of Valentina. "Poor lad thought ye'd left 'im fer good. I tried t'explain to 'im but I don' think 'e understands yet," Theo told her while unbuckling Raul's saddle.

"It'll take some time." Valentina said as Theo helped her with Raul. "He has had a rough life so far. We just need to be there for him no matter what."

Valentina helped where she could, taking the bridle from Theo and hanging it on the hook as Alex continued to cling to her.

"Shall we take a nap, Bambino? We can go and cuddle with Anna." She murmured, brushing his hair back off his face.

Alex nodded slightly. Worrying all morning had left him tired. Theo offered his love a smile. "Go 'head. I've got Raul." Kitty was also waiting to see if Alex was alright, standing just outside the stable.

"He's fine, Ma." Valentina said as she saw Kitty waiting for them. "We're going to take a nap now. He's tired from all of his worrying."

"The poor fear's been staring out the window all morning," Kitty told her softly. It seemed Valentina was still the only one who offered Alex any comfort. For the others of his newfound family, it would take time to gain their places in his trust. By the time Valentina reached her room, Alex was fast asleep, clutching his fox to his chest.

Valentina tucked Alex into his bed and covered him with his blue blanket. He was hugging the fox tightly, sucking his thumb to soothe himself. She felt her heart ache for the little boy that had lost so much in his short life. She brushed his thick hair aside and kissed his forehead, leaving him to slumber as she went to spend some time with Theo.

Theo was just coming inside when Valentina found him, and he greeted her with a kiss. "Hiya, love," he murmured with a soft smile. "Alex alright?"

"He's asleep. Thankfully." Valentina said as she wrapped her arms around Theo and hugged him tightly. "How are you doing, amore?"

"I'm jus' fine. Little worried fer th'lad but I think 'e'll be okay once 'e's used to a routine." Wrapping his arms around her in turn, Theo relaxed as he held her with a contented sigh. "Y'know yer Ma's been pesterin' me about you," he muttered with a smile.

"And what has she been saying?" Valentina asked as Theo wrapped his arms around her waist. "Because I can have another talk with her if you would like."

"Y'know I love yer Ma's teasin'. She's been askin' me what my plan is now tha' you have Alex. I told 'er nothin's really changed."

"I hear you talking about me," Kitty called as she passed by with Vincenzo. "You should marry that man, Val."

"In time, Ma." Valentina said simply as she hugged Theo with a grin. "We have a lot of things we need to talk about."

"Like what?" Theo asked as his smile grew warmer. "Because I know I'm already pretty sure myself." Regardless of her work and the fact that she now had a young child to care for, Theo was still glad to join her side.

Valentina paused and looked up at Theo as he told her that he was very certain about their future together. She gave him a soft smile and pressed her cheek against his chest and held him tightly.

"Perhaps we should talk about building a home in that case." She said softly. "And maybe a nice little ceremony."

"Your mother'll probably take over on tha' end," Theo mused with a smile. "But I've been givin' a house a lot o' thought. Something jus' outside o' town where we 'ave space fer a big garden, but close enough t'reach anyone quickly."

"If you're ready to have a family again, I'm ready to be your family." She said softly as he mentioned thinking about a house and leaving the wedding to her mother. "And Alex too. He's been a good little boy so far. I think he'll make you a proud father."

"Then let me do this properly," Theo told her as he took her hands and knelt down before her. "Val. Will ya marry me, love?" His smile was so warm and inviting and his gentle hands held her own with a light, hopeful grip. Even though they'd already decided to be together, he wanted to treat her like a lady, like she deserved, and do things right.

"Yes, I will, Theo Irons." Valentina said with a smile as Theo got down on one knee and asked her properly to be his wife. "We will be very happy together."

Theo rose once more as she accepted, and he swept her up in his arms with a kiss. Theo was always gentle and took his time, but the hint of giddy joy was unmistakable in his kiss and his racing heart. Meeting her gaze, he chuckled softly and just held her a little tighter.

"Mi amore." She whispered as he laughed with glee. She was smiling as he held her tightly, loving her like he always had.

When Alex was awake, they made the announcement to the entire family, bracing themselves for the questions and comments that were sure to come their way.

The Ghis family's reaction seemed to be fairly evenly split. Valentina's brothers, including Cole, seemed surprised and a tad wary that things had happened so fast. But to his credit, Brogan was as happy and supportive as could be for them. On the other side, their wives and Selena, Kitty, and Vincenzo were practically asking what took so long. Of course Theo was in for another long talk with the men and Valentina was about to be swept up into wedding plans under the experienced eye of her mother and sisters-in-law. But whatever all the excitement was, Alex wanted nothing to do with it so he got Valentina and Theo's attention first when clung to Valentina's side. He wasn't used to the big family yet and they of course quieted down a bit for him while he got comfortable again.

Valentina whispered words of encouragement to Alex as he clung to her. It was sad to know that the little boy was so painfully shy that he couldn't interact with his new aunts and uncles. Pressing a kiss against his cheek, he shyly watched everyone around him, unsure of why there was such an uproar at the moment.

"Would you like to go with Theo, bambino? There is a flock of geese in the garden that need to be fed." She murmured.

Alex looked at Theo for a moment, but he decided not to let go of Valentina. Theo placed a gentle hand on the boy's back, reassuring him that everything was fine, and Alex seemed to relax as he was safely tucked between the woman who'd taken him in and the man who'd taken care of him. Then Boar approached, but Alex didn't draw back like he normally would, knowing the two adults that held him could protect him.

"Y'know... I can't say I'm thrilled about th'idea," Boar told his sister honestly. "But then again... Yer happy, so what can I say?" He offered them a smile, and with it, it seemed he was finally accepting Theo. "An' I'm sure this little lad'll be all th'better for it," Boar said in a softer tone as his smile turned to Alex, who looked up at him now with a little more curiosity than nerves.

Valentina looked at Boar as he came up to the three of them, telling them that he was alright with her being happy. She gave him a soft smile as she noticed Alex looking at him with curiosity. It meant a lot that her most stubborn brother was ready to give her a chance at a life outside of the one that she had always had.

Leaning forward, she kissed his cheek and glanced at Theo. "Perhaps the two of you can watch Alex and keep him occupied while I go and have a talk with Cole."

"We can do tha'. An' don' forget Warwick, when y'have th'time t'write. Yer as much his girl as Vincenzo's," Boar reminded her as Alex finally allowed Theo to take him. Warwick had loved Valentina like his own from the moment Ashelin had brought her home to save her from Tamblin, so Valentina had grown up knowing two adoring fathers. Since Ashelin's death, Warwick had tried despite all his heartache and lack of will to live to stay in contact with Ciaran, Cole, and Valentina. But after Ciaran died too, Warwick's spirit had been firmly crushed again and he couldn't even bring himself to visit Inverness for Cole and Valentina or for Ciaran and Ashelin's graves.

Back