Nothing but jazz...

Hmmm

Yea see, that's the kind of music I can't wrap my head around.

Being as it is a remake / cover of "Hey Joe," I would have thought you have enjoyed. Of course, my assumption is that you enjoy rock and blues

I spend a lot of time in our public library. Just checked some Donovan because I was stuck in a '60s groove. Also checked some Mahler. So no, man doesn't live by jazz alone

If convenient, let me know what you're into

Being as it is a remake / cover of "Hey Joe," I would have thought you have enjoyed. Of course, my assumption is that you enjoy rock and blues

I spend a lot of time in our public library. Just checked some Donovan because I was stuck in a '60s groove. Also checked some Mahler. So no, man doesn't live by jazz alone

If convenient, let me know what you're into
hmmm...I didn't catch that. I'll have to give a more intent listen then. I do like rock & blues, along with some country, big bands, swing, classical, "soul", some rap...

I swear, every time I see this thread title, I think it says "Nothing but jizz..." lol

I love a tenor sax blowing so fast it feels like your hard-top is a convertible (Bird).

Heard Art Tatum on the way into work today (KKJZ - L.A.), and You Tubed him for a couple hours. Amazing. Like water running rapidly over smooth rocks.

I am digging on Anouar Brahem "Blue Maqams"

Featuring Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette and Django Bates

I quite liked that. The composition was great, that kind of seemingly meandering theme, like a thought slowly coming into focus - personally I loved the drum track.

Have you heard this? It's old - 1973. Peter Trunk, the bassist and composer, died in a car crash on New Year's Eve the same year it came out. The first two tunes are my favorites (a little more mainstream), but they venture into territory akin to Anouar Brahem (only in execution, not necessarily thematically - that rambling, gathering thought that takes shape and identifies itself as it progresses), but that relationship is only suggested on the later tracks.

I SO love this album: 'Sincerely P.T.' Remember, it was 1973, a very early excursion into jazz fusion. The first tune, 'Fresh Air, Where?' always stirs my blood, but the second tune "I Will Give You All My Love' produces what for me, is the closest thing to a swooning, musical orgasm: After the electric piano solo, when the horns come in, lazy and dissonant, ambling their way toward resolution. I hope you listen, and I hope you like it (if you're not already familiar with it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQc-D9ty15E

Last edited:
One of the things I love about coming here...

I quite liked that. The composition was great, that kind of seemingly meandering theme, like a thought slowly coming into focus - personally I loved the drum track.

Have you heard this? It's old - 1973. Peter Trunk, the bassist and composer, died in a car crash on New Year's Eve the same year it came out. The first two tunes are my favorites (a little more mainstream), but they venture into territory akin to Anouar Brahem (only in execution, not necessarily thematically - that rambling, gathering thought that takes shape and identifies itself as it progresses), but that relationship is only suggested on the later tracks.

I SO love this album: 'Sincerely P.T.' Remember, it was 1973, a very early excursion into jazz fusion. The first tune, 'Fresh Air, Where?' always stirs my blood, but the second tune "I Will Give You All My Love' produces what for me, is the closest thing to a swooning, musical orgasm: After the electric piano solo, when the horns come in, lazy and dissonant, ambling their way toward resolution. I hope you listen, and I hope you like it (if you're not already familiar with it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQc-D9ty15E

...is that I get turned on to new stuff - and old stuff that's new - like this. Minny thanx, I liked it a lot.
His stuff reminded me of another guy from the period, Eumir Deodato, and this is one of my all-time favorites of his. Never get tired of it. See what'cha think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cuhPbhzMzQ

And now for something completely different!

I've never been much of a fan of jazz, to me being what I call too "discordant". But this song by Jeff Beck from the tremendous album Blow By Blow, what they call a jazz fusion, is one of my favourites;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFi94V3jIUg

Well to each his own, but I'm betting there are a whole lot of us here who can change your mind - on that particular conception, at least.
While there is mos' def' a lot of jazz that's like fingernails on a blackboard to me, and I've been a lifelong fan, there is just sooo very much that will take you to such beautiful places that you'll wonder how you missed it for so long.
Here's an album that has been one of my all-time-all-times since I first heard it. If you can hear the first cut and then bag it, you're a better man than I, Gunga Din. I'm always all in from the first to the last. Ain't no discord here. These boys came to play some of the sweetest jazz you'll ever hear, and they're just the guys to do it.
I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cuhPbhzMzQ

Now here's a pair you don't see (or hear) every day

0001179887.jpg

Paul Desmond and Jim Hall

"Easy Living"

Thanx. Hadn't heard this album before. Desmond is always so consummately cool, and he sounds great with Hall, to say nothing of the section from MJQ on the gig. What a crew!
I've always loved Hall's rendition of "Concierto for Aranjuez," and sometimes prefer it to Miles' classic when the mood is right.
Cheers!

Back