North to the Future

I've got a question-

I know some Alaskans, ( like Todd Palin) are commercial salmon fishermen, others in the interior catch salmon to power their dog teams. I get the impression that most of the rest of the year-round Alaskans catch salmon with rods to help feed themselves. I was wondering what these average people do with the byproducts of their fish. Do they eat the roe? ( I like salmon roe, but it's too salty to eat much or it) Do they spread it in the gravel? Do they filet the salmon and let the head, skin, and roe on the shore for the bears and ravens?

I've got a question-

I know some Alaskans, ( like Todd Palin) are commercial salmon fishermen, others in the interior catch salmon to power their dog teams. I get the impression that most of the rest of the year-round Alaskans catch salmon with rods to help feed themselves. I was wondering what these average people do with the byproducts of their fish. Do they eat the roe? ( I like salmon roe, but it's too salty to eat much or it) Do they spread it in the gravel? Do they filet the salmon and let the head, skin, and roe on the shore for the bears and ravens?
My family has been in the commercial fishing business in Alaska since about 1900. My opinion of salmon catching may not be the appreciated by other people who happen to have been here just long enough to get a PFD or two.

Commercial fishing for salmon is work, good work. That work feeds your family and you provide good food (hopefully at reasonable prices) to others. It's a livelihood, not recreation. I honest doubt that there are more than a handful of dog teams that are actually used for a real subsistence lifestyle in Alaska. Dog teams are a hobby because you like dogs or a business because you race or breed for racers. Hobby and race teams have no business eating subsistence salmon. You are welcome to buy commercial salmon for them.

The state has personal use salmon fishing where you can use nets (dip or sometimes otherwise) to catch salmon. The typical head of a household can get 25 fish with 10 more for each household member. People go out in droves to do this, but before they do, they throw out last year's catch from their freezer. While the fishery is a good one for some, many abuse it and waste a lot of fish because people just get too fucking greedy. And, most people process their own and do a shit job of it. There's at least enough meat left on a single carcass for a two person meal when it's pitched, or more!

The waste goes to the dump or is buried. Some assholes throw it back in the river and it makes a mess on the beaches. Roe is often saved for other fishing. Most people don't know how to properly cure salmon roe. At a cannery, it used to be salted and packed for the Japanese market. Now, people just pitch it. Because there will be more next year and they are entitled to it.

This is what people do. Not as altruistic as a gift for the bears and ravens. Don't forget the gulls and bald eagles!

Thanks, Thor. When I was talking about dog teams, I guess I was thinking about trappers. I knew that the commercial fisheries went to some trouble to save and fertilize eggs so that they wouldn't run low on fish in future years. I've also seen that the big bears only catch females and eat the heads, skin, and roe. As somebody who likes to make chowders and soups, I'd want to take the whole carcass home. The more I thought about it, the more curious I was as to whether most of the civilians tried to sustain the resource, share with the bears, or eats the treats themselves. Forgot about bait. When I lived in PA a number of people bought jars of salmon roe for bait when fishing for trout.

If the waste goes to the dump, don't the eagles still get it?

Thanks, Thor. When I was talking about dog teams, I guess I was thinking about trappers. I knew that the commercial fisheries went to some trouble to save and fertilize eggs so that they wouldn't run low on fish in future years. I've also seen that the big bears only catch females and eat the heads, skin, and roe. As somebody who likes to make chowders and soups, I'd want to take the whole carcass home. The more I thought about it, the more curious I was as to whether most of the civilians tried to sustain the resource, share with the bears, or eats the treats themselves. Forgot about bait. When I lived in PA a number of people bought jars of salmon roe for bait when fishing for trout.

If the waste goes to the dump, don't the eagles still get it?
Trappers use Skidoo Tundras or the like. Dogs are a lot of work. I remember talking with the village president in Ekwok out on the Nushagak River back in about 1977. He told me that once the 'machines got good enough to get him around, he shot all his dogs.

Depends on the dump. There's nets and lines to control birds at the Anchorage landfill.

What are "Tramways"?
Really?

2016-alyeska-tramway-summer0_30ffd629-5056-a36a-0ab5c562af50a38c.jpg

In high school I was in the path of a total eclipse. When I had time to go out, it was partial. At totality, I was in class.

Back