New to Chyoo

NoHoKitten

Really Experienced
Hi guys. I want to try my hand at writing some Chyoo stories. Any advice from popular writers or readers with taste?

General writing advice can be found anywhere on the web, but for collaborative writing, I'd recommend practicing on FoldingStory.com (it's non-erotic). If there's any "rule" presented to me as being foremost, it's to keep writing, even when you have writer's block. If writer's block is an issue, having multiple stories to work on can help, whether in different genres or different styles, in order to exercise your mind.

There's simply too much ground to cover to answer such a question. While creative expression should first and foremost be something organically driven from a person's own voice, there are definitely some guidelines to cover without becoming too engrossed in how other people /think/ people should write.

Grammar will help for the whole side of the site that involves interacting with other writers, but it has another crucial purpose. Clarity of mind will aid clarity of narrative.

Personally, I entertain notions of "What if the character did this? But what if they made this choice instead?" which help in branching storylines. If you've ever played a video game or a tabletop, the concept of choices being presented to you shouldn't be too foreign.

I'd rather not go on and on about this. The worst thing that could happen is this could become a debate, and what's important is you find advice that works for yourself as a person. A lot of times I find advice online from people who have the money and resources to go gallivanting off to places like Fiji--and that's just impossible to relate to. This is just my opinion, but a person should try and stay true to themselves, but not be afraid of new ideas.

It's probably also a good idea to avoid brackets such as "taste". Particularly in the realm of fetishes, every person has their own cup of tea. Of course, I'm neither popular nor tasteful, so take this with a grain of salt.

Oh, and sticky threads are generally informative. And as of this writing, the Chyoo site is undergoing a major overhaul (as is my understanding).

Last edited:
Back