New Poem Recommendations

Here are two poems, both chronicles of heartbreak.

Taking Chances-by stickygirl

The poem features a simple rhyme scheme that wonderfully expresses the pain and sadness of a relationship ended. Though the tone of the poem is consistent, it ends with a strange sense of hope.

https://literotica.com/beta/p/taking-chances-11

Before Breakfast- by Cassandra_shaw

A submission about the painful reality of a morning following the "one night stand". The poem varies in rhythm and tone, but clearly displays the complex and often contradictory emotions involved.

https://www.literotica.com/beta/p/before-breakfast

Here are my recommendations for today.

Was this 2020?- by oldtruck

A simple poem reflecting on a year that will live in infamy. It ponders the question of if we will move forward with 2021 or will it be more of the same.

https://www.literotica.com/beta/p/was-this-2020

From Juliet.- by PinkFiction

A beautiful sonnet written in Juliet's (William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet) perspective. It is well written in iambic pentameter and true to the source material.

https://www.literotica.com/beta/p/from-juliet-a-sonnet

My recommendations for today. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

A Walk with Death- by Cirkle7

The poem is deep, striking an emotional chord with the reader. It was clearly and intentionally executed so that you can feel the pain and anguish of the narrator.

https://www.literotica.com/beta/p/a-walk-with-death

THE TREMBLING- by MorpheusLunar

A hot and erotic journey into one exciting sexual encounter. The poem is filled with clear descriptive imagery that leaves little to the imagination.

https://www.literotica.com/beta/p/the-trembling

Lots of good poems on the New Poems page, but the two that jump out at me are:

Lyricalli's The Sun Knows it's Hot, which as a sort of prelude to a desire driven bad decision, has more than enough heat of its own.

And whowrotethisshit's The Ghost, a vulnerable dead of night haunting which somehow manages to balance lonely, longing, and plaintive, with a playful turn at the end.

Erotic Poems:

I'll second Levitating Bed's endorsement of Lyricalli's The Sun Know's it's Hot which now has an audio recitation,

MorpheusLunar's The Sins in My Inbox is a rambling but ultimatley engaging examination of the pressures of work, family, infedelity and guilt.

Non-Erotic Poems

The Journey Back by River Maya is an intense exploration of the trials of dipping the pen back in the inkwell.

In Wallow, Ms.Natalie explores the depths of middleness and unrequited love.

Illustrated Poems:

There are several laudable works by 29wordsfor snow in the "New" category

The End is a witch's blend of art, shape and words with a cutting edge.

Lovers is an epic invocation of freedom, lost love and shattered dreams in a divided/united country.

I'm sorry. I know it's not my place, but I wanted to recommend a poem.

How Many Times- by AlexBailey

The poem explores feelings of loneliness and self worth, while speaking to the need to be recognized as is. It is well written and clear in its messages.

https://literotica.com/beta/p/how-many-times-1

There's a slew of New Poems and so I may have missed some of them, but these are the ones that didn't miss me.

Piscator's Ifquistion brought me in with the title's clever wordplay but he had me at Pascal's Wager. It's a darkly playful examination of human vulnerability and frailty around life's biggest questions which somehow reduces itself down to the calculus that goes into deciding on a tinder profile.

Senna Jawa's in the thin air is a short and sparse and beautiful piece that reminds me not to take front doors for granted, and that I hate the ignorance of a world where not everyone can.

Annaswirls' Donny's viral photos of wild horses is so smart and sharp that I forgot to breathe for a second or two. And that happened again each time I re-read it. I guess Donny is a better photographer than he is a sailor because he sure did miss the boat on Prom night.

I was getting ready to post my recommendations for the week today and discovered that Lev (I hope you don't mind if I call you Lev) and Todd had beaten me to the punch and covered most of my list. :)

So, I've got just a couple more to recommend:

The first is More by ElorraButler. I think this is a nice vignette of longing and desire.

And the next is It Isn't Springtime Yet by gnomelander. I appreciated the imagery in this piece and the path that it led me down.

It's been a calm week, but still, there are gems to read:

Don't miss out on any of Indiebabydoll's publications of this week. My favorites among the bouquet of emotional poems:

Within Your Arms

about the glowing first moments of new love that look so promising and different from before.
Very light-hearted in spirit and making, some rhymes that complement the free form. A joy to read.​

and to keep the balance, a contrast:

The pain of love
Don't we all want to stop the time and maybe turn it back to the days everything seemed easier? An elegy about sweet days gone in very picturesque sad words.

A very different kind of romance:

The Treatment - My Submissive Male by ElorraButler
It seems to start quite innocent, but it soon gains drive and strength, and probably some literal twists. Very sexy!​

Though we've had a bit of fun with this poem in PF&D, it's new to submissions, so I'm recommending it for a reread and for new eyes to see.

I'd Burn it All to the Ground for a Night with You by todski28

This one is inspired by the Pistol Annie's song, I Feel a Sin Coming On, and I think it will resonate with anyone who's ever grabbed someone and gone over a fucking cliff.

Easter Egg Hunt

There are any number of sweet surprises to be found in our NaPoWriMo Challenge - April 1 - April 30

In the Non-erotic Poetry I liked LAdy Amethyst's Love Bites, a meandering "eyes wide open" examination of the the D/s paradox - must love hurt

The other reviewers will be adding their picks as their busy NaPoMo challenge schedule permits.

Easter Egg Hunt

I second Piscator's recommending the NaPoWriMo Challenge - April 1 - April 30 thread, but as far as the New Poems page goes, I really like CeVin_ChienElle's Spectrums. It reminds us that the edges and borders we think are proprietary, bump into and overlap and connect with everything else.

I second Piscator's recommending the NaPoWriMo Challenge - April 1 - April 30 thread, but as far as the New Poems page goes, I really like CeVin_ChienElle's Spectrums. It reminds us that the edges and borders we think are proprietary, bump into and overlap and connect with everything else.

This one seemed promising -- it tickles the brain in a non-prosaic way -- but it seems unfinished, like it could use a few re-writes more.

Last edited:
Hole in the Wall by whowrotethisshit

This is very much not shit. It's a compelling slice of life with a strong narrative, and I think it's damn fine reading if you like some dysfunction with your lust.

Pink Fiction's The Timid Knight is an engaging saga of 28 - 4 line paired couplets is well worth the read. My hats off to anyone who rhymes owls with bowels.

Back