New Literotica Story Page Feedback & Comments

Manu

Just A Test Title OK
Please share your feedback on the new Literotica Story Page in this thread.

You can turn the new story page on or off at any time by using this option in your member control panel:
Options > My Options > Participate in early site feature versions beta-testing?
(Remember to click "Save" after updating.)

If you have a bug or issue to report, please share as much information as possible, including what browser you are using.

If you'd rather send information privately, you can use the Literotica Feedback Form anytime.

While we may not reply to every comment individually, we will read every single one.

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback, bug reports, and suggestions! :D

I changed my option to accept beta testing and tried saving... Alas it would not save after repeated attempts.

I like this feedback forum and the options you offered.

Missing features

There are two features I need to know before reading a story !) Have I read it before and 2) How long is it.
To resolve 1) maybe put 'MY' rating up on the opening page. I may read it again but knowing I have read it before is useful (and it might encourage others to rate stories)
For 2) it is annoying to get to the end of page 1 only to find the story is 43 pages long. I'll still read it, but when I have a long break. If I have that info then I might be motivated to use your bookmark scheme to avoid leaving the story open for a couple of days.
It would be nice 3) to have the date posted posted on page 1.
You seem to have destroyed the read more of this series feature: not convinced by the flip straight to the author's profile. Though I will concede that having the next part right there is good, and been requested. Have you found ways around the cases where the author mucks up the title breaking the 'is this a series story' logic? Typically broken by inconsistent spelling, punctuation and numbering: My Story Part 1. My story Part 2. My Story, Part 3. My story Part O4 etc.

Favouriting

I notice you are automatically adding an Author to Favorites if we Favorite a story. Please don't do this. Favoriting authors willy nilly will clutter up my Activity list with stories I don't want to see. Selecting one story doesn't mean I like all their stories, in fact, for example, an author writes mainly Celebrity or BDSM stories but happens to write one romance which I favorite, I sure as heck don't want my activity list to be inundated with Celebrity or BDSM stories. It is complex enough to manage now without having to unfavorite the Author every time then worry about whether I have unfavorited an Author I normally kept in Favorites.
Better still if you provided a mechanism to tag story series so that the next part automatically appeared in the activity list. Then I could stop favoriting stories almost completely.

I notice you are automatically adding an Author to Favorites if we Favorite a story. Please don't do this. Favoriting authors willy nilly will clutter up my Activity list with stories I don't want to see. Selecting one story doesn't mean I like all their stories, in fact, for example, an author writes mainly Celebrity or BDSM stories but happens to write one romance which I favorite, I sure as heck don't want my activity list to be inundated with Celebrity or BDSM stories. It is complex enough to manage now without having to unfavorite the Author every time then worry about whether I have unfavorited an Author I normally kept in Favorites.
Better still if you provided a mechanism to tag story series so that the next part automatically appeared in the activity list. Then I could stop favoriting stories almost completely.

Can you let me know where you are seeing this behavior and in what browser?

I just tested the two main bookmark links on the new story page and I did not see the author added to my Followed list. Your browser and usage is probably different from mine, so any additional information you can share (what link you are clicking, when you see the author added to your Followed list, browser, etc.) would be appreciated.

Thank you! :D

I like the new look

Nice layout. Bigger fonts (I use a MS Surface to read).
The only thing I really miss, is story tags on story overwievs. We can select a categori, like Loving Wifes. But I really don't want to read stories about bestiality. To avoid this I have to open the story and then go to the buttom of the last page to find the story tags. Show them on the stories overview as well.

There are two features I need to know before reading a story !) Have I read it before and 2) How long is it.
To resolve 1) maybe put 'MY' rating up on the opening page. I may read it again but knowing I have read it before is useful (and it might encourage others to rate stories)
For 2) it is annoying to get to the end of page 1 only to find the story is 43 pages long. I'll still read it, but when I have a long break. If I have that info then I might be motivated to use your bookmark scheme to avoid leaving the story open for a couple of days.
You seem to have destroyed the read more of this series feature: not convinced by the flip straight to the author's profile. Though I will concede that having the next part right there is good, and been requested. Have you found ways around the cases where the author mucks up the title breaking the 'is this a series story' logic? Typically broken by inconsistent spelling, punctuation and numbering: My Story Part 1. My story Part 2. My Story, Part 3. My story Part O4 etc.

Agreed, but I’d also like to see the average score. The score often tells me whether I’ll enjoy a story, or be disappointed. I won’t generally read stories with scores below 3, especially older stories.

Thank you for the feedback. :D

The idea of putting some kind of confirmation that you have rated a story into the Story Info Box at the start of the story is a good one. I'll look into that idea.

The story length is shown in the new Story Info Block. We currently show read time, but we are going to change that to word count instead to make it simpler. If you look just above the stats line in the Story Info Block on the first page of each story, you'll see the little timer icon. The read time (soon to be word count) is next to the icon.

As far as the Also In This Series block, it should show you the next part, the previous part, and a link to the series page. Right now there is no series page, but there will soon be a dedicated page for each series with the author's description, listing of all parts, etc. At the same time as the series page, we'll finally be rolling out manual series management for authors. You will be able to give series parts any names you want once that feature is released. How would you like to see the series block on the new story page improved?

Thank you again for the suggestions and please let me know if you have more to add as you use the new page.

My suggestions and thanks for asking.

I would like to keep the heading box for comments as it was in the past and I would like to be able to preview the comment before posting as we do in the old form. I appreciate that you are working to improve your site. Handing out monthly prizes for stories from a couple years ago is senseless. You have no idea what the story's score was back in that month. I suggest you simply start fresh with the new year, or admit it is too much trouble and end it. I would like only registered users be allowed to vote. We have people voting numerous times. I also dislike how you sweep votes. Some stories deserve low score. Again, one vote per registered user makes sense. An action/adventure category would be nice. You could drop the fringe categories few people read.

Nice layout. Bigger fonts (I use a MS Surface to read).
The only thing I really miss, is story tags on story overwievs. We can select a categori, like Loving Wifes. But I really don't want to read stories about bestiality. To avoid this I have to open the story and then go to the buttom of the last page to find the story tags. Show them on the stories overview as well.

Thank you for the feedback. :D The new Story Info Block has a tab for Tags. We don't show them by default since that might be a "spoiler" for some readers.

Here is where the tags are located at the start of each story:

attachment.php

Let me know if that's what you were looking for or if you had another way you'd like to see tags.

Thank you again.

Attachments

• 2019-12-12-Story-Tags-Story-Info-Block-001.jpg
    2019-12-12-Story-Tags-Story-Info-Block-001.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 282
I would like to keep the heading box for comments as it was in the past and I would like to be able to preview the comment before posting as we do in the old form.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Do you mean the comment titles? With the new system, we will eventually allow markup so that you can add bold if you want. That means you can add a "title" if you want by simply bolding the first line of your comment. For example, one user might do this:

This is my comment title

My comment text....

Another user who doesn't care about titles can simply enter:

My comment text

It keeps the commenting simple for everyone, but allows people to add the equivalent of a title if they want one.

As far as comment previews, agreed. We have that on our list, but it's not available in this version.

I'd like the option to view all comments, oldest to newest, with the entire comment showing. It's a pain to have to keep clicking on "read more" and "Show More."

Thank you for the suggestions.

We plan to add a fully expanded comment page for every story in the future.

I agree with your comment that there is no reason for both "Show More" and "Read More". Once someone clicks "Show More" they should not need to also click "Read More" on the longer comments. I'll look into fixing that in a future release.

Opptions

The only real complaint I have is after the first page of a multi page story is you loose the opption to make the reading larger. Other than that I like it a lot.

Looks good

I like the fact that the page zoom is carried over to the next page.
I'd prefer the "bookmark" to be available on each page, preferable both at the top and bottom of the page. Alternately a "Read Later" link would be helpful if the story is long and i am short on time.
If possible, having a "Night mode" reading, would be a great addition.
Otherwise the new design looks good.

The only real complaint I have is after the first page of a multi page story is you loose the opption to make the reading larger. Other than that I like it a lot.

Thank you for the comment. Can you explain the way you increase or decrease the font size and when it changes? In theory, I would expect it to stay the same for all pages of the story, but not sure what browser and what process is being used to change the size. Any additional information would be helpful.

I like the fact that the page zoom is carried over to the next page.
I'd prefer the "bookmark" to be available on each page, preferable both at the top and bottom of the page. Alternately a "Read Later" link would be helpful if the story is long and i am short on time.
If possible, having a "Night mode" reading, would be a great addition.
Otherwise the new design looks good.

There is a bookmark icon in the Story Title block at the top of every page. Is that what you need? We have discussed allowing bookmarking to any specific place in the text, but that feature is not yet available.

As far as dark mode, yes, that's in the works. The actual dark mode design has been tested and looks pretty good for a first version, but we need to do quite a bit of work on the color variables in the code before we can roll it out. I need more time to work on it. :D

Thank you for the comments.

Regarding font size:
In Chrome I use ctrl+ to zoom and it sort of helps. It also ends up being applied to all pages of the site. It is not perfect as the entire page increases in factor. xnxx.com uses plus and minus buttons at the top of the story page that adjusts the font size for only the text of the story. Something like this would be helpful.

Can you let me know where you are seeing this behavior and in what browser?

I just tested the two main bookmark links on the new story page and I did not see the author added to my Followed list. Your browser and usage is probably different from mine, so any additional information you can share (what link you are clicking, when you see the author added to your Followed list, browser, etc.) would be appreciated.

Thank you! :D

It's not doing it now: I'll squalk if I see it again: I presume the bookmark is because it's in favorites.
Thanks

The idea of putting some kind of confirmation that you have rated a story into the Story Info Box at the start of the story is a good one. I'll look into that idea.

The story length is shown in the new Story Info Block. We currently show read time, but we are going to change that to word count instead to make it simpler. If you look just above the stats line in the Story Info Block on the first page of each story, you'll see the little timer icon. The read time (soon to be word count) is next to the icon.

As far as the Also In This Series block, it should show you the next part, the previous part, and a link to the series page. Right now there is no series page, but there will soon be a dedicated page for each series with the author's description, listing of all parts, etc. At the same time as the series page, we'll finally be rolling out manual series management for authors. You will be able to give series parts any names you want once that feature is released. How would you like to see the series block on the new story page improved?

Thank you again for the suggestions and please let me know if you have more to add as you use the new page.

Please! NOT Word count: it's just a meaningless big number and anyone mildly innumerate will just curse you. The time is better. The page count is really a good compromise as it sucks the meaningless big number into a meaningful small number. Maybe compromise into Short (<2 pages), Medium(3-5) pages, Long(6-10) and very long >10. I know you have said that page counts can vary across platforms but when I've had to switch platforms to finish a story the page positioning has been identical. Remember you are dealing with a readership who may have accessibility issues.

Yay!

As far as the Also In This Series block, it should show you the next part, the previous part, and a link to the series page. Right now there is no series page, but there will soon be a dedicated page for each series with the author's description, listing of all parts, etc. At the same time as the series page, we'll finally be rolling out manual series management for authors. You will be able to give series parts any names you want once that feature is released.
Yay!!!!

Number of pages & other stuff

Please share your feedback on the new Literotica Story Page in this thread.

You can turn the new story page on or off at any time by using this option in your member control panel:
Options > My Options > Participate in early site feature versions beta-testing?
(Remember to click "Save" after updating.)

If you have a bug or issue to report, please share as much information as possible, including what browser you are using.

If you'd rather send information privately, you can use the Literotica Feedback Form anytime.

While we may not reply to every comment individually, we will read every single one.

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback, bug reports, and suggestions! :D

Giving the number of Literotica pages the story takes would be nice. I read slowly, and often would like to know the length of a story before I start it. Maybe instead of the reading time (or in addition to it) icon. That makes little sense, since my partner reads around 5 times faster than I do. I read you have proposed number of words, but number of pages would be more useful, at least for me. Currently, I scroll to the bottom of the story to see the number of pages, which I can still do, I see. Another feature I'd like is the date the story was published! Finally, if the story is part of a series, chapter 2 of a 5 chapter story for example, that would be useful to know as well. Thanks, JB Edwards

How would you like to see the series block on the new story page improved?
Not sure I can relate this description to a feature? Do you mean the block on the last page?
Not sure you can change much. Some trigger that the author intends more maybe. Some authors are not good at conclusions.

Changing scores

I like that We-The-Readers can now touch the wrong score, and fix it before it is finalized. I also like the overall appearance. Agree with HDK’s observations.

Thank you for the comment. Can you explain the way you increase or decrease the font size and when it changes? In theory, I would expect it to stay the same for all pages of the story, but not sure what browser and what process is being used to change the size. Any additional information would be helpful.
If you use the 2 finger page size change on Chrome, it is reset when the next page displays.
Font size change is a nice feature as long as it doesn't pollute non lit pages. I certainly wouldn't mind a ui to adjust some css parameters, for example override the default ginormous 'space after paragraph' setting. And reflowing the text if we push the font size over the width of the page.

Back