Mother-son story - WHO wanted this written up?

LiverpoolMaster

Really Really Experienced
Featuring:

A wife who from early childhood was brought up in a male-dominated environment and has a love of everything male. She is overly protective of her only child, a teenage son.

The son, whilst maturing physically/sexually, is failing at school and picked on by his peers. Having few friends, he grows to hate the school and wishes he could get out.

The father/husband makes only a cameo appearance, providing the background detail that the marriage is failing. He is an academic and very different from his tomboy, rural roots wife. She suspects him of tiring of her and dallying with female students/colleagues at the University where he works.

Someone suggested a mother-son story background along these lines many moons ago but I can find no trace of the original thread. It wasn't any of my correspondence group. Possibly an occasional visitor..? In any event, having been on my back burner for some years now, it's finally written up. If anyone has any memory of this, kindly point me in the right direction.

Featuring:

A wife who from early childhood was brought up in a male-dominated environment and has a love of everything male. She is overly protective of her only child, a teenage son.

The son, whilst maturing physically/sexually, is failing at school and picked on by his peers. Having few friends, he grows to hate the school and wishes he could get out.

The father/husband makes only a cameo appearance, providing the background detail that the marriage is failing. He is an academic and very different from his tomboy, rural roots wife. She suspects him of tiring of her and dallying with female students/colleagues at the University where he works.

Someone suggested a mother-son story background along these lines many moons ago but I can find no trace of the original thread. It wasn't any of my correspondence group. Possibly an occasional visitor..? In any event, having been on my back burner for some years now, it's finally written up. If anyone has any memory of this, kindly point me in the right direction.

The father being alive would certainly give the story that added punch of active infidelity. I know it's finished but have emailed you anyway with a few ideas.

I don't know who it was but I really like the idea. Could be a good candidate for a semi-sad and wistful mother/son piece I have in mind.

I think I'd have this ending in a situation where dad has been barred from the house and son has taken over from him in all respects. Possibly you could have a fairly remote family home (an isolated ex-farmhouse?) where he can live with Mum as husband and wife away from prying eyes.

Fathering his own daughter/sister might be an extension idea if you wanted to make it a longer story..?

The final version actually has him mentioned in greater detail than previously but I felt it made more sense to concentrate on the developing mother-son saga.

Back