Metalheads & Writers

I think I might remember...a time... where I wouldn't wake up with a notably stiff dick I felt proud of.

I think that might have been just before I heard Black Dog.

Stiff dick ever since.

I think I might remember...a time... where I wouldn't wake up with a notably stiff dick I felt proud of.

I think that might have been just before I heard Black Dog.

Stiff dick ever since.

Stiff dick thinking about dog's. That doesn't surprise me

Lovecraft, metalheads are comically impaired. They take everything so bloody serious. You should see the bloody battlefields where once thriving discussions took place. It takes only one bright eyed, innocent fool and the phrase "I just discovered heavy metal. My favorite band is Slipknot..." and everything goes down the drain.

As for the playlist: Good stuff. That's a lot of Accept in their sound.

You know, the OG hard rock disco crossover? Kiss. "I Was Made For Lovin' You". Simmons and Stanley said as much - they wanted a cut of that sweet, sweet disco pie. Over here, it's THE Kiss signature and radio song. Not "Detroit Rock City". Not "Strutter" or "God Gave Rock'n'Roll to You" or "God Of Thunder", fucking "I Was Made For Loving You"...

I was made for loving you is one of those songs that almost every cover I've heard is better than the original, especially this one featuring two of my favorite you-tube cover artists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loKqHFV5o2M

Also there's a rumor Gene Simmons tried to copyright his mother's womb while he was still in it, the man's greedy is appalling.

Never paid any attention them and can't name or recall a single song.

Total miss for them in my book. Same for a great large lot of other 'popular' bands. Once the hype machine kicks in, I'm out.

Never paid any attention them and can't name or recall a single song.

Total miss for them in my book. Same for a great large lot of other 'popular' bands. Once the hype machine kicks in, I'm out.

I have a hard time following any group passed their second album. Once they have enough money their sound usually turns into store brand cola

I don't follow groups. In most cases, I don't know anything about them, their backgrounds or motivations, the names of the members, their popularity, sales, chart positions, first album or tenth, or anything else.

I go by whether or not I like the music.

Apparently all of Coheed and Cambria's music is a soundtrack for a comic book. Don't give a toss about that. I like their music.

I stumbled on Night Castle from Trans Siberian Orchestra almost by accident. I liked it. As I was reading up on them to try and find more music that was similar, I found groups like Nightwish, Epica, Symphony X and a few others that got me interested in orchestral/symphonic rock. Then I find that these bands have been huge successes for many years and there are dozens of others and that the various artists perform with each other.

Never heard of any of that and don't care.

I either like an album or I don't. I'm not concerned with their history or personas.

And somewhere along the way, I found Spock's Beard, Communic, Thought Chamber, Threshold .....

And somewhere along the way, I found Spock's Beard, Communic, Thought Chamber, Threshold .....

That's quite the good selection. Not that my opinion matters in any way, but still - these bands are bloody amazing.

I wouldn't call those metal (not that it matters) - but I agree with B_J - they're very good.

The definition of "metal" had morphed significantly in the last decade - and a lot of the best avant-garde metal out there ... ain't really metal. Again - not that it really matters.

Does 'metal' even have a definition or specific sound any more? That used to be Black Sabbath, Metallica, et al. Then it splintered a thousand different ways. I read somewhere that 'Fates Warning' was a premier Prog band. I listened and didn't hear Prog. I heard metal droning.

What I hear now is references to terms post rock, post metal and other post stuff. Post what?

I wouldn't call those metal (not that it matters) - but I agree with B_J - they're very good.

The definition of "metal" had morphed significantly in the last decade - and a lot of the best avant-garde metal out there ... ain't really metal. Again - not that it really matters.

I remember seeing one band do a show where the host reads out their hate mail (probably off YouTube comments) and they had to reply.

"This isn't metal."
"You're right, we're not! We love metal and it's part of our sound but we have a lot of other influences too."

"Eurovision."
"Eurovision's great! We'd love to be on Eurovision some time, just look at Lordi."

And so on. So much more fun to be had when people get past genre policing.

Does 'metal' even have a definition or specific sound any more? That used to be Black Sabbath, Metallica, et al. Then it splintered a thousand different ways. I read somewhere that 'Fates Warning' was a premier Prog band. I listened and didn't hear Prog. I heard metal droning.

What I hear now is references to terms post rock, post metal and other post stuff. Post what?

Metallica was one of the first splintered factions, or at least the most notable as they were there when "thrash" or "speed metal" became a thing.

A game my wife and I play(no, not those games) is "hair or metal" and we'll name a band and decide what we think....Poison? Hair band....Motley Crue? Depends on the album...

End of the day I don't need anything put in a box, if I like it I listen. I'll go the grave saying King Diamond is the greatest metal(or metalish) artist ever, and...not many agree :eek:

I'll go the grave saying King Diamond is the greatest metal(or metalish) artist ever, and...not many agree :eek:

I'm with you on that one. King Diamond was among the first metal bands I got into (along with Savatage, Solitude Aeturnus, Manowar and Iron Maiden) and of those five, only the King is still trucking on without embarrassing himself.

My favourite KD albums (I'm gonna cheat by putting in some Mercyful Fate too) in no particular order
Them
Conspiracy
Don't Break The Oath
Melissa
Abigail
The Eye
Fatal Portrait
Into The Unknown
House Of God
The Puppet Master

The only KD album I'm not too fond of is Voodoo. I've spun it a couple dozen times over the past fifteen years and still can't remember a single song. I haven't managed to snag copies of "The Spider's Lullabye and "Give Me Your Soul... Please" yet. Can't wait to get my hands on "The Institute" if it ever comes out :)

Hard to say. If you were to put a gun to my head and demand "Genre! Now!", I'd take the easy way out and say "Prog". There's no conventional verse/chorus/solo structure, there's some odd time signatures and creative use of scales and sounds. But the most important thing when discussing metal genres or music in general - genre boundaries aren't absolute or set in stone. Case in point: Meshuggah. Metal? Fuck yes. Heavy and brutal. But their use of polymeters and lack of conventional song structures puts them firmly into boundary-pushing Prog spheres, right next to Tool.

Waltari have made opera using metal instruments. Check out "Yeah! Yeah! Die! Die!"

I don't care which exact subgenre my favourite music comes from. Yes, labels help when talking about it, but the inherent inaccuracy makes it difficult at the same time. Therefore I tend to suggest bands which sound close to the ones being discussed.

In the end, a good song is a good song no matter the genre. I mean, even though I usually can't stand current pop music, I did enjoy both The Weeknd's "Blinding Lights" and Miley Cyrus' "Midnight Sky". My balls are big enough to admit that :)

I'm with you on that one. King Diamond was among the first metal bands I got into (along with Savatage, Solitude Aeturnus, Manowar and Iron Maiden) and of those five, only the King is still trucking on without embarrassing himself.

My favourite KD albums (I'm gonna cheat by putting in some Mercyful Fate too) in no particular order
Them
Conspiracy
Don't Break The Oath
Melissa
Abigail
The Eye
Fatal Portrait
Into The Unknown
House Of God
The Puppet Master

The only KD album I'm not too fond of is Voodoo. I've spun it a couple dozen times over the past fifteen years and still can't remember a single song. I haven't managed to snag copies of "The Spider's Lullabye and "Give Me Your Soul... Please" yet. Can't wait to get my hands on "The Institute" if it ever comes out :)

I had the great pleasure of seeing him in 2019 in Worcester and with my daughter who never got a chance to see him-he didn't tour for years due to health issues.

What a show, he still hits every high note and his band and stage set is amazing. he did a couple singles from the institute which were great

The only one I didn't like was Abigail 2...maybe because the first was so iconic, but I think the story should have been left alone.

in 2019 I debated getting the meet and greet pass to try to give him a copy of my book Abigail...but the $450 price(and I'd have gotten my daughter one too) was a little too pricey at the time.

I had the great pleasure of seeing him in 2019 in Worcester and with my daughter who never got a chance to see him-he didn't tour for years due to health issues.

What a show, he still hits every high note and his band and stage set is amazing. he did a couple singles from the institute which were great

The only one I didn't like was Abigail 2...maybe because the first was so iconic, but I think the story should have been left alone.

in 2019 I debated getting the meet and greet pass to try to give him a copy of my book Abigail...but the $450 price(and I'd have gotten my daughter one too) was a little too pricey at the time.

I've seen him in Wacken 1998 playing a killer Mercyful Fate gig. The recent live box set shows him in amazing form too. I'm glad to see that his heart surgery put him back on his feet. As much as I like the lyrics on "The Puppet Master", his voice was rather fucked back then. :)

I've seen him in Wacken 1998 playing a killer Mercyful Fate gig. The recent live box set shows him in amazing form too. I'm glad to see that his heart surgery put him back on his feet. As much as I like the lyrics on "The Puppet Master", his voice was rather fucked back then. :)

He takes his doctor on tour with him and thanks him at the end of all the shows.

I love his story about how he wrote Abigail. He woke up from a vivid nightmare about the carriage and the horsemen, got up, made a pot of coffee and wrote Abigail in one sitting.

He takes his doctor on tour with him and thanks him at the end of all the shows.

I love his story about how he wrote Abigail. He woke up from a vivid nightmare about the carriage and the horsemen, got up, made a pot of coffee and wrote Abigail in one sitting.

Song lyrics (or poetry) is something I can't do. I have no feel for verse meters. Pretty pathetic for a former drummer. :)

Song lyrics (or poetry) is something I can't do. I have no feel for verse meters. Pretty pathetic for a former drummer. :)

My wife writes poetry, I've made attempts at it that are so awful she told me to give it up before I'm arrested for cruel and unusual punishment....and she's usually very supportive of my attempts at pretty much anything.

What do we think of the Devin Townsend Project?

I don't dislike what I've heard so far.

Dude's weird. Goes from heavy, heavy almost slash metal, to progressive almost symphony rock (Epicloud), to a form of metal country/folk (Casualties of Cool) to mellow, ambient near new age (Ghost).

Back