Legacy: A Star Trek RP

He looked straight ahead under the scrutiny, frowning slightly at the question. "Since graduation up until now, it will be three years sir."

He was curious how that had to do with anything.

Chris nodded as he looked up from the screen. "And if memory serves this is only your second assignment correct?" he asked. Whatever point he was about to make it was hard to tell since he was keeping his cards all close to his vest. One thing's for sure anyone looking at that poker face would hate to be playing that particular game against the Commodore.

Dale nodded, the only thing betraying his confusion would be the fact that his eyes were not as rigidly focused on the wall as before. Instead his gaze flitted towards the Commadore, "Yes sir, my first deployment being on a training vessel."

Dale nodded, the only thing betraying his confusion would be the fact that his eyes were not as rigidly focused on the wall as before. Instead his gaze flitted towards the Commadore, "Yes sir, my first deployment being on a training vessel."

That was when Pike turned the screen to face the young man. "Then I suppose I can forgive you for not noticing that on your orders it shows you listed as the Chief of Security." Pike said as he pointed at the line he was talking about. "That was one of the reasons you were promoted to Lt. junior grade. After all we can't have an Ensign in charge now can we." Pike could see the look of near shock on Dale's face. "That was also the reason I was so... upset when I heard about the fight and I gave you those minimal duties for this two week tour. To teach you a lesson. You're a Starfleet officer son, and more than that you're a department head. That means you can't go flying off half-cocked because someone said something you didn't agree with. Do you understand that?"

Dale stared at the screen. It was his deployment papers, and just like the Commodore had pointed out, it stated that he was Chief of Security. Why he was under the impression that he was just a normal Security detail, he didn't know.

He returned back to his at attention stance, "I see and understand sir. Your lesson is duly noted and I will take to heart and mind my station. If the Commodore will excuse me, we have a lack of Security personnel in Enginering. I would like to correct the error."

Dale stared at the screen. It was his deployment papers, and just like the Commodore had pointed out, it stated that he was Chief of Security. Why he was under the impression that he was just a normal Security detail, he didn't know.

He returned back to his at attention stance, "I see and understand sir. Your lesson is duly noted and I will take to heart and mind my station. If the Commodore will excuse me, we have a lack of Security personnel in Enginering. I would like to correct the error."

"By all means Lieutenant." Pike said Before the young officer had the chance to leave he called out to him. "Mr. Steward... congratulations." he said with a smile.

Last edited:
A salute was a way of showing respect. To your superior officer, to your country and it have sadly fallen out of use. Dale met the Commadore's words with a respectful nod.

"Thank you sir. I will try not to disappoint your trust."

The door slid open and he walked briskly out of the room. He headed for the turbolift and a few minutes later he was back at his station in Enginering.

He knew he had to be on the bridge, but the last command by his superior officer was to be on duty in Enginering and he would stick to that command until over ruled by new orders.

T’Nara looked back to the Lt, her face heavy with the concern. “Lt, your expertise is widely known, please dig into this as if the ship was in extreme danger… I just have a bad feeling…” She takes a step past the Lt and stops, leans back in, “And that should mean a lot since I’m half Vulcan.” She added before taking a few steps out of the Lt’s way.

T’Nara turned back toward the Lt. “I shall allow you to do you work. Please report your findings to me or Commodore Pike. If you need to go higher on the diagnostic you have my permission this very moment. So I leave this task in your very capable hands.” T’Nara respectfully nodded to the Lt before she walked to the center of the command circle. Her glare focused upon the viewscreen, but her mind was on the odd events that were happening aboard this vessel.

Cavy nodded her head in acknowledgement. "Of course, Commander."

She made her way through the halls and back to her office, her mind furiously working. The Commander had seemed worried and that made Cavy worried. A slow-acting virus? Cavy had a hard time believing one could have just slipped her meticulous protocols, but she supposed anything was possible. She ran diagnostics every day, keeping an eye out for any that seemed unusual or out of place. Concerns were immediately addressed and logged. Cavy knew the importance of keeping records and being accurate and precise. She needed everything to be working better than perfect. In her line of work, she couldn't risk having less. She had run diagnostics early in the day, and everything was on point. Still, something was wrong that had the Commander on edge and her brought in.

"Pythia."

"Yes, Lieutenant."

"You heard Commander Winters?"

"Yes, Lieutenant."

"Pull the logs from this morning."

"Any irregularities?"

"No, Lieutenant."

"Compare them to the logs for the past three weeks. Note the differences. Are they within acceptable range?"

"Yes, Lieutenant."

"Tighten the range by 15%. What about now?"

"Acceptable, Lieutenant."

"Open the system into safe mode and prepare to run diagnostics."

Cavy placed her hand on the console to authenticate.

"Access denied, Lieutenant."

"Report."

"I am unable to authenticate, Lieutenant."

That's not good, Cavy thought. Something was wrong.

"Pythia. Alternative authentication protocol. Lieutenant Cavera Rhinquist. Authorization Tango-Alpha-3-5-2-8-9-7. Confirm."

"Your authorization has been revoked, Lieutenant."

This was definitely not good. Changes in authorization could only be made from one access point in the system, which meant someone was there manually making changes. Cavy switched on her coms as she raced to Pythia's operating console, the brain of the system.

"Commander. Breach. Brain center. Operating console." Cavy shouted the words as she ran.

She placed her palm on the door in knowing futility.

"Access denied."

She pulled a small knife from her pocket and pried open the access panel, revealing several multi-colored wires and a rather complex system of circuits. If she had more time, she could isolate the correct set to unlock only her desired door. The ship was dry docked. She knew of no prisoners in holding. The risks were low, and Cavy didn't have time. She opted for the crude solution. One that would not only unlock her door but every door on the ship.

As the door opened, Cavy could see an unknown man typing away at the operating console. Before she could contemplate her next move, she felt a familiar object pressed against her body.

She froze as she felt the cold metal of a weapon placed between her shoulder blades.

"Please, have a seat Lieutenant," said a voice behind her.

She took a deep breath and sat down in the seat in front of her. The man at the console had barely flinched or looked at her direction. She was in a bit of a situation. Cavy hoped the Commander or anyone for that matter had heard her earlier.

"You arrived sooner than I expected."

She listened carefully, realizing she had heard the voice somewhere before, but she couldn't place where.

"I suppose it doesn't matter. We'll be done soon enough."

T’Nara spun around and slapped the communication button on the command chair, “Security Breach in Mainframe computer core! Security to Engineering immediately!” T’Nara tone of voice riddled with the need for accelerated response by the security teams. She then twisted her form and headed for the turbolift at an accelerated pace. T’Nara wiggled her nose and shifted her jaw back and forth a few times while her mind sped over all the possibilities of how their security was being breached and whom was capable of doing it right under their noses.

Her mind instantly went to Captain Hunter, maybe this was a test, in which they failed miserably. That fact sat on her chest heavily as she pushed her destination then twisted the turbolift’s control arm. Her nose wiggled once more while her jaw shifted as she went deeper in thought. Maybe that was why the Commodore and the Captain seemed so loose on their duties for they knew this would occur and waited to see how she and the crew handled the situation. ‘To many variables without enough evidence to come up with a final decree of what was going on, so she would just have to be prepared for the unknown and react the way she was trained to do so.

The turbolift finally opened up and allowed T’Nara to have access to the engineering deck. She knew the security teams would already be down here and reacting to the situation, but it was her duty to be on location to evaluate the situation after the area was secured. Her curiosity had the best of her when she rounded the curve and witnessed the security teams moving in, she wanted to follow them directly into the room to find out what the hell was going on!, however, she slowed her tempo so things could come to an order before she entered into the room.

Her eyes darted about looking for the Commodore or Captain…

She took a deep breath and sat down in the seat in front of her. The man at the console had barely flinched or looked at her direction. She was in a bit of a situation. Cavy hoped the Commander or anyone for that matter had heard her earlier.

"You arrived sooner than I expected."

She listened carefully, realizing she had heard the voice somewhere before, but she couldn't place where.

"I suppose it doesn't matter. We'll be done soon enough."

The man wore a black outfit of some sort, it was like nothing Cavy would have noticed before. And if she thought the voice sounded familiar then you definately would have thought he he looked familiar even if she couldn't quite place it. But now she'd never get the chance

Before she had a chance to do or say anything the man in black raised a small cylindrical device and a bright flash of light came out of it. When the light subsided she was the only one in the room and she couldn't remember why she was there.

T’Nara spun around and slapped the communication button on the command chair, “Security Breach in Mainframe computer core! Security to Engineering immediately!” T’Nara tone of voice riddled with the need for accelerated response by the security teams. She then twisted her form and headed for the turbolift at an accelerated pace. T’Nara wiggled her nose and shifted her jaw back and forth a few times while her mind sped over all the possibilities of how their security was being breached and whom was capable of doing it right under their noses.

Her mind instantly went to Captain Hunter, maybe this was a test, in which they failed miserably. That fact sat on her chest heavily as she pushed her destination then twisted the turbolift’s control arm. Her nose wiggled once more while her jaw shifted as she went deeper in thought. Maybe that was why the Commodore and the Captain seemed so loose on their duties for they knew this would occur and waited to see how she and the crew handled the situation. ‘To many variables without enough evidence to come up with a final decree of what was going on, so she would just have to be prepared for the unknown and react the way she was trained to do so.

The turbolift finally opened up and allowed T’Nara to have access to the engineering deck. She knew the security teams would already be down here and reacting to the situation, but it was her duty to be on location to evaluate the situation after the area was secured. Her curiosity had the best of her when she rounded the curve and witnessed the security teams moving in, she wanted to follow them directly into the room to find out what the hell was going on!, however, she slowed her tempo so things could come to an order before she entered into the room.

Her eyes darted about looking for the Commodore or Captain…

Pike had just left the ready room on deck 2 and was about to go back to the bridge when the call came through. He arrived a few moments behind Commander Winters. "Number One, what the hell is going on?" he asked her.

T'Nara looked over her shoulder to the Commodore upon his arrival to the area, but was somewhat perplexed by his question. If this was a test of the security and crew he should know what the hell was going on, however to her assessment of him, this wasn't a test at all and has him caught off guard as well.

"Sir, upon our agreement to run a diagnostics of the computer system, Lt. Rhinquist here managed to catch a breach here in the computer core." T'Nara informed the Commodore, but was somewhat perplexed by the way the security team was looking at the somewhat bewildered Lt. "However, there seems to be something wrong." T'Nara looked up the Lt. and awaited for her to explain what she had found.

"Sir, upon our agreement to run a diagnostics of the computer system, Lt. Rhinquist here managed to catch a breach here in the computer core." T'Nara informed the Commodore, but was somewhat perplexed by the way the security team was looking at the somewhat beildered Lt. "However, there seems to be something wrong." T'Nara looked up the Lt. and awaited for her to explain what she had found.

Frankly, Cavy was confused. Something had happened. That much was clear, but unlike the last time she found herself surrounded by security in a dazed state, there was no explosion and no fire. She was having difficulty remembering what happened, and it was infuriating. The memory of the events were present in her mind, but barely within her grasp. She sat in silence, refusing to talk as she tried to piece together the accessible fragments when Commander Winters arrived. Questions were being thrown at her, but Cavy had learned to tune everything out to focus on her own thoughts.

Finally, she turned her direction to Commander Winters and spoke.

"We have a serious problem. Someone or ones was here, physically accessing the system and making changes in authorizations, crew manifests, and who know what else. He or she or they are likely responsible for concerns that you've been having."

She paused for a second, tucking a loose strand of hair back behind her ear.

"It get worse. My memory's been affected, so it reasons that I interrupted and saw something he or she or they didn't want me to see." She frowned, frustrated by the number of questions she now had.

"It appears temporary, Commander, Fragments are present but out of reach. We may be able to piece together information from my coms, however. I kept them running. You can play back a complete record from the time I reported the breach to now."

She took out her earpiece and handed it to the Commander.

"It's an external unit with storage capabilities in case Pythia's storage of communications has been intercepted, replaced or corrupted."

"Has anyone checked Pythia's operation since you've been here?"

It was supposed to be a pleasant day

Timeline: August 15, 2264 1445 hours

Pike didn't like what he was hearing. It seemed that someone was trying to sabotage the ship. Finding the person was going to be like finding a needle in a haystack. The Chimera had a crew of 1100, and that wasn't even couting the visiting press and dignitaries that were on board. Even if he removed the crew from the equation they were still looking at around 100 suspects between the press and other guests.

=/\= Bridge to Commodore Pike. =/\=

Chris moved over to the nearby communications terminal. "Pike here, go ahead."

=/\= Sir we're receiving an emergency signal from the U.S.S. Saratoga, they're under attack by an Orion vessel. =/\=

Pike looked over to Commander Winters with a worried look on his face. "Saratoga is an academy trainning ship. She'll be easy pickings for an Orion attack ship." He then spoke into the com panel again. "Distance to the Saratoga?" he asked.

=/\= They're less than a light year away, it'll take us about 15 minutes to reach them at maximum. =/\=

"Any other ships in the area?" Chris asked. 15 minutes didn't seem long, but in a fight it was just too long, he doubted that ship would still be there by the time they got there.

=/\= We're the closest and fastest ship in the area.=/\=

That was all that Chris needed to hear. "Go to yellow alert and set a course to the Saratoga, increase speed to maximum." Chris ordered and closed the channel before he could hear the bridge officer respond. But he knew it was acknowledged when the klaxon began to sound and the call to yellow alert was given. He could also feel the deck plates vibrate as the ship's SIF began to compensate for the increase in speed.

"Looks like this little mystery is going to have to wait." He told Winters and Rhinquist. Looking directly at Cavy "I want continuous scans of the area and as much information on that ship as you can give me."

He then activated the com panel again. "Pike to Lt. Steward your punishment in engineering is over I'm going to need you on the bridge."

tags Steward

=/\= Brig to Commodore Pike. =/\=

Pike squinted "Pike here."

=/\= Commodore, Captain Hunter just saw the alert go off and he's demanding to be let out of detention sir. What do you want us to do. =/\=

Pike looked at Winters, he was a bit annoyed that she hadn't gotten Mack out of the brig as yet. But he was going to give the Vulcan the benefit of the doubt that she just hadn't had the time as yet. "Let him out and have him meet me on the bridge."

=/\= Aye sir!=/\=

"Alright people let's get to work." Pike said as he looked at the computer core room again before he left and made his way to the bridge.

Dale had no idea what was going on, Enginering was secure, of that he was sure. It was the words from Commadore Pike which relieved him of his duty. He pressed the communication panel.

"Affirmative sir."

The amber alert meant that they were in a ready phase, a good reason as any for Commandore Pike to move him to the bridge. He triggered the comms for his Security team.

"One to Enginering."

After getting the affirmation, he made sure that his phaser was secure at his waist before he left his station, meeting his replacement at the entrance.

"Keep a sharp eye out, keep that phaser ready just in case we get breached."

He moved as briskly as he could to the turbolift which took him to the bridge, he entered the bridge. Since he was Chief of Security, the tactical conn was his station and he relieved the officer on duty and took his place. His eyes taking in the data and wondering if he could actually trust the computer since there had been a near fatal glitch already.

T’Nara stiffened her jaw upon the annoyed look she received from the Commodore concerning the Captain, but she did put the Captains release second to the safety of this ship. She wasn’t going to stand here and defend her choice of priorities to a Commodore that knew she was in the right, which in his own way he did that but the glare was just one of those human emotional expressions that annoyed her at times even if she was half human.

She watched the Commodore turn and give the Lt orders to get him all the information on the Saratoga before he embarked on a journey to the bridge. She took in a deep breath, allowed herself a few moments to take everything in that just occurred and the human side of her got worried once again. Here it was only a matter of minutes that the most advance ship was to be launched and only fifteen minutes away a hostile ship attacks a training ship knowing that the Chimera would be called to aid the ship in distress. Then there was the computer glitch which lead to a computer breach here on the Chimera … consequence? Highly doubtful.

The added glitch, the computer breach, which something happened to Lt Rhinquist for she couldn’t remember why she called out about a breach it just seemed too disorganized and someone had to cover tracks quickly. Why because the Saratoga was a trap to lure the Chimera into an ambush. The Computer breach was to insert a virus or an altering computer program that would disable important systems aboard the Chimera, the possibilities were too many to guess at for she didn’t have any evidence that would point to what systems they effected so there was only one course of action. They had to avoid assisting the Saratoga. This was going to be a problem!

“Lt. Under section five paragraph twenty one. I believe your orders will be putting this ship in harms way. You are to reestablish your diagnostics of the computer system and run test programs of all battle systems. I believe you will find them in a state of vulnerability to a glitch or malfunction.” T’Nara now had to inform her intuition to the Commodore.

T’Nara quickly stepped out of the turbolift. “Commodore, It is imperative that I have a word with you.” The tone of voice carried the urgency to it. “Please sir, now.” She spoke with the same urgency in her tone of voice.

T’Nara stiffened her jaw upon the annoyed look she received from the Commodore concerning the Captain, but she did put the Captains release second to the safety of this ship. She wasn’t going to stand here and defend her choice of priorities to a Commodore that knew she was in the right, which in his own way he did that but the glare was just one of those human emotional expressions that annoyed her at times even if she was half human.

She watched the Commodore turn and give the Lt orders to get him all the information on the Saratoga before he embarked on a journey to the bridge. She took in a deep breath, allowed herself a few moments to take everything in that just occurred and the human side of her got worried once again. Here it was only a matter of minutes that the most advance ship was to be launched and only fifteen minutes away a hostile ship attacks a training ship knowing that the Chimera would be called to aid the ship in distress. Then there was the computer glitch which lead to a computer breach here on the Chimera … consequence? Highly doubtful.

The added glitch, the computer breach, which something happened to Lt Rhinquist for she couldn’t remember why she called out about a breach it just seemed too disorganized and someone had to cover tracks quickly. Why because the Saratoga was a trap to lure the Chimera into an ambush. The Computer breach was to insert a virus or an altering computer program that would disable important systems aboard the Chimera, the possibilities were too many to guess at for she didn’t have any evidence that would point to what systems they effected so there was only one course of action. They had to avoid assisting the Saratoga. This was going to be a problem!

“Lt. Under section five paragraph twenty one. I believe your orders will be putting this ship in harms way. You are to reestablish your diagnostics of the computer system and run test programs of all battle systems. I believe you will find them in a state of vulnerability to a glitch or malfunction.” T’Nara now had to inform her intuition to the Commodore.

T’Nara quickly stepped out of the turbolift. “Commodore, It is imperative that I have a word with you.” The tone of voice carried the urgency to it. “Please sir, now.” She spoke with the same urgency in her tone of voice.

Here they go about to possibly go into combat and she wanted to stop and talk. He was really starting to wonder if maybe she wasn't ready for the first officer position. But he wanted to know what she had to say, so since they were waiting for the turblift there was no harm . "Go ahead Commander."

“Sir, I believe the attack upon the Saratoga is a trap staged for us. I believe that someone breached our computer systems to input a virus to either create a glitch or malfunction within our battle system programs. Look at the facts sir, This attack upon a training vessel so close that only the Chimera can respond, the time-delayed glitch in the system followed by a breach when Lt. Steward detected the glitch, and what happened Lt. Rhinquist when she tried to stop the breach… Sir it’s a text book setup, Whomever is doing this knows all too well that you will respond so this is a perfect setup. I suggest sir that we go directly to red alert to ensure our shields will hold, then find an asteroid or space junk and use all of our weapon systems to ensure they don’t glitch. Even at high warp we are too far out to really save them… You know this Sir, so instead of giving whomever is doing this two ships, they only get one training vessel and the Flagship of the Federation survives to find and bring these villains to justice.”

T’Nara closes her eyes and pushes back the pain that she feels for the lives that are going to be lost, but she has a duty to this ship and this crew to keep them safe, and if this is what is required to do her duty she damn well is going to do it no matter how much it hurts. Taking a few moments to breath deeply she opens her eyes and looks upon the Commodore. “Your orders Sir?” She attempted to keep the emotion of sorrow out of her tone, but fails miserably.

“Sir, I believe the attack upon the Saratoga is a trap staged for us. I believe that someone breached our computer systems to input a virus to either create a glitch or malfunction within our battle system programs. Look at the facts sir, This attack upon a training vessel so close that only the Chimera can respond, the time-delayed glitch in the system followed by a breach when Lt. Steward detected the glitch, and what happened Lt. Rhinquist when she tried to stop the breach… Sir it’s a text book setup, Whomever is doing this knows all too well that you will respond so this is a perfect setup. I suggest sir that we go directly to red alert to ensure our shields will hold, then find an asteroid or space junk and use all of our weapon systems to ensure they don’t glitch. Even at high warp we are too far out to really save them… You know this Sir, so instead of giving whomever is doing this two ships, they only get one training vessel and the Flagship of the Federation survives to find and bring these villains to justice.”

T’Nara closes her eyes and pushes back the pain that she feels for the lives that are going to be lost, but she has a duty to this ship and this crew to keep them safe, and if this is what is required to do her duty she damn well is going to do it no matter how much it hurts. Taking a few moments to breath deeply she opens her eyes and looks upon the Commodore. “Your orders Sir?” She attempted to keep the emotion of sorrow out of her tone, but fails miserably.

"My orders stand." Pike said rather calmly, in fact he was actually calmer then she had been. "First of all you are correct, that the two incidents may... may be connected. Or it could just be a coincidence. I've seen things that you have yet to witness in my time in Starfleet and as you get more experienced you'll start seeing that sometimes things happen in an unexplainable way." he told her. Truth was that what she brought up he had also already considered.

"Secondly you need to remember that even though we're at yellow alert that doesn't mean the shields can't be activated. But no need to activate them now while we're moving at high warp. As we get closer to the system we can activate them and hence we'll be protected. And finally you should remember that once your CO, no matter who he or she is, has given an order order it cannot be overriden by the XO unless they can prove that he is mentally or physically incapable of performing their duty. As such Lt. Rhinquist will run the sensor scan that I ordered so we can keep tabs on the Saratoga as well as see if their attackers are still in the area. That being said your suggestion that she run another diagnostic is a good one and she can run another level 3, which will take ten minutes and still leave us five minutes before we get to the Saratoga." He told her.

Timeline: August 15, 2264 1500 hours

Mack had been pretty quiet in the turbolift, not that there was anyone else in it with him as it made it's way to the bridge. He had seen the alert status and his first reaction was to see what he could do to help. He was in a bad mood, and not over being locked up in a cell. Though from what one of the guards had told him he could have gotten out at any moment since someone had unlocked all the doors. No the source of his mood was something else. He knew several of the cadets that were on that ship doing their training cruise. He was worried about them as if they were his own. And just like the children he had once hoped to have he’d move Heaven and Earth itself to help them and to see them home safely. When the door opened he had to blink a few times as his eyes adjusted to the bright lighting. “Remind me to recommend less lights on the bridge.” He thought to himself.

While Mack had evidently stayed up all night, Kristen had taken advantage of the downtime to sleep. In the early stages of pregnancy, she was tired more often than not to be honest and had no problems falling asleep. When he grumbled about the lighting levels on the bridge she just smiled at him, "Or you can start wearing some sunglasses. .. look cool and all that while you're on duty.."

He stepped up to the command chair where Chris was seated, he could see his XO sitting next to him on the left. “Captain Hunter reporting for duty sir.”

“Thanks for the offer, just stand back and monitor for now and offere any insights as they come to you.” Chris told him.

Mack moved over to Chris' right and towards the Mission Ops station. From there he stood behind the officer and watched the readouts on the screen.

“Now arriving at the Saratoga’s last known coordinates.” The helm officer called out.

Mack turned his attention briefly to the window at the front of the bridge.

“Secure us from warp speed and take us to impulse. Raise shields, I don't want to get caught with out pants down if the Orions are still out there.” Chris ordered.

"Aye sir." the Helmsmen answered softly, hands light on the controls as she brought the ship out of warp and dropped to impulse.

"Lt. Rhinquist what are the sensor's telling us?" Pike asked.

Dale Steward

Dale felt that slight tingle of excitement, here they were on a new ship, they had Commadore Pike and Captain Hunter on board and it seemed like they might have to engage an enemy. Though not one to search for a fight, he sure knew that if it came to the defense of their own, Starfleet would not accept an unprovoked attack on any of their ships. He selected the shields up and checked for the confirmation on his screen, "Sir, shields are up, weapons are ready at your command."

He kept an eye on the scanners, just in case one of those glitches popped up once more.

"Daddy!" A wet ball of snot and tears crashed into Hannibal's lower back. He grunted, involuntarily taking a step forward. Two twig like arms wrapped around his waist and a low, mumble whine vibrated through his body from the impact site. Something about the color red.

Hannibal frowned, giving his head a slight shake and barely resisting rolling his eyes. The claxxons were shouting their warning about being in Red Alert, which had rudely interrupted his conversation with Dr. Hizzeur. Hannibal continued as if neither annoyances had occurred. "It would be like Starfleet to pull a psival on the new crew. It's happened three times to me. It's well documented in Protocol Five."

Dr. Hizzeur chortled. "That's just stupid. Look at the cognitive decline in Rhinquist. They destabilized several dopamine receptors in her Hippocampus, specifically HC1 and HC8." Hizzeur paused, even as the ship bellowed its alerts.

"Computer, invoke protocol 17b dash gamma5 under directive 9, if you please."

"Yes, Commander." A pleasant, almost whimsical voice of the computer responded, instantly silencing all light and sound associated with going to red alert within all areas under Hannibal's control. Bach's Brandenberg Concerto the Mass in B minor began to play just above the audible range of human hearing.

"C'mon sweatheart," Hiro said, peeling Madeline from Hannibal's back. "Please accept my apologizes, Doctor Commander Argead."

Hannibal nodded his head, but didn't turn around to address either Madeline or Hiro. Instead he continued his discussion with Doctor Hizzeur. "Certainly disruption of memory consolidation post traumatic event is unorthodox but not unheard of amongst the more fringe elements of the Board of Directives."

"It violates her sovereign right! Prime fucking directive you little ass hat, prime fucking directive!"

Hannibal frowned and waited for Hizzeur to calm himself. "If it is a cover up by the Board of Directives, then the attack would provide sufficient time for Lieutenant Rhinquist's Hippocampus to cover up more nuanced evidence."

"Then why the fu-" Hizzeur rubbed his bushy white eyebrows, then run the back of his thumb along his forehead. "Why not push for a full brain scan. We've got the Naniprobes, let's go in wet."

Hannibal gave a small shake of his head. "Commodore Pike's Fitness For Duty reports indicate no proclivity for paranoia or attendant associative disorders. Perhaps if Commander Winters was in command, she's almost beyond acceptable limits..." Hannibal trailed off for a second, a faint smile playing at his lips, "But no."

He turned and looked at Hiro, clutching Madeline to her chest. Hiro's long fingers were soothing Maddy's hair, and the older women cooed softly into Maddy's ear. Hannibal shook his head, "Madeline, get a hold of yourself. Your a grown women."

Madeline snuffled and pushed away from Hiro. Her head lowered and she bit her lip, looking up at Hannibal through her mass of hair. "But daddy, we're all going to die!"

Hannibal shook his head, "If you keep this hyperbole up, I am going to remand you to your quarters."

"Our quarters daddy," Madeline corrected.

Hannibal sighed. His request for separate quarters had been denied. One of his rivals taking advantage to stick a needle in his eye without exposing themselves, instead hiding behind 'logistical necessity.' Instead, Hannibal had family quarters, which was larger but he had to share his personal space with his adopted daughter.

"Go help Doctor Hizzeur recalibrate the cognitive scanner. He wants to explore using the Naniprobes on our Chief Science Officer, so we need to test that they work properly."

"Sure...Daddy, are we going to use one of the rats?"

Hannibal shook his head, "No Madeline, we are going to use you. Now go lay on Bed 1."

"Your a monster!" Hizzeur hissed, but didn't refuse to use Madeline to calibrate the probes. Instead he shook his head disapprovingly and moved to walk away.

Hannibal's hand shot out and caught Hizzeur's arm in a vice grip. "Not according to my Fit For Duty Evaluation. You'll kindly retract that accusation unless you want to make it formal."

"No, fine, fuck you."

Hannibal nodded and turned to Hiro. "Perform a field study of Lieutenant Rhinquist."

"Of course Doctor Commander."

Hannibal nodded and gathered his own field kit. "Computer please inform security that I will be evaluating the computer core, dispatch my relevant forensics credentials."

Hannibal left with Hiro in tow, but they soon separated.
--- --- ---

Hiro arrived in the command center amongst the chaos of a flag ship of the Federation preparing for war. It wasn't something she was unfamiliar with. She flowed around the controlled chaos like water around a falling avalanche. She was quiet and unobtrusive, but wearing the uniform of the medical staff with a field kit. She didn't disturb the command staff unless they questioned her presence, which a few captains preferred a medical personal on-hand in the command center and some didn't. From what she'd read of the Commodore, she didn't expect to be expelled.

Instead, she stopped near the bent, hunched, absorbed back of Lt Rhinequist. "Lieutenant, I do not wish to disturb you. Would you find a massage relaxing? I need to perform a residual Fit For Duty evaluation, but I do not wish to inconvenience you and I've found touch can comfort the senses and leave the mind to focus on its thoughts."

The scanners that Hiro employed where built into gloves, excellent at assessing subcutaneous and proximal issues with the body while also allowing her to massage her subjects. She had her tricorder nearby on her hip, but the added sensors in the gloves gave better results than a remote scan.

"Sensors aren't picking any hostiles. The Saratoga however is losing power. Shields, weapons, engines are heavily damaged if not destroyed. The hull looks like swiss cheese. I'm picking life signs, but few and they're spread out all over the ship." the science officer reported.

"We need to get over there and get those kids off that ship." Mack found himself saying.

"You're absolutely right." Chris said and then Pike activated his direct link to engineering. "Commander, I need a team to help stabilize that old Kelvin class ship long enough for us to get the survivors over there."

"Already on our way," the Engineer replied, picking up his personal tool kit and leading the team out of the room.

"Pike to sickbay I'll need some medics in the transporter room now." Chris was heading for the turbolift. Mack was right on his heals. Chris was about to tell him to stay on the ship but saw the look on his face and then turned to his XO. "Commander Winters you're in command, we'll stay in touch." and then the two men stepped into the lift and made their way to the transporter room.

Tags

Hiro didn't stop her slow, languid massage-based analysis of the Lt. Rhinequist. Even though she'd finished her assessment awhile ago. She continued on assessing the morale of the command crew and the emerging social dynamics. All of these would be logged into a report for Doctor Commander Argead.

"Pike to sickbay I'll need some medics in the transporter room now," Commodore Pike said through the ships communication system.

"Acknowledge Commodore Pike. I'll execute Directive 39 in that case." As the Commodore didn't seem to want to continue the conversation, Hannibal closed the comms link.

"Computer assign operational field authority to Doctor Hizzeur and place Lieutenant Hiro as adjunct to the field assignment."

Hannibal turned to address Hizzeur. "Doctor Hizzeur, do you require additional staff based upon the Situational Report?"

"C'mon man, I'm too old for this shit."

Hannibal gave a curt nod, "Very well, you are dismissed."

"But-" Hizzeur looked down at the Naniprobe Calibration Interface he'd been tweaking when some of the probes had accidentally caused a 1 mm hemorrhage in Madeline's prefrontal lobe. "I...Damn it all." He dispelled the interface with a wave of his gnarled hand and the whole thing dissipated. He picked up a spray injector of neural stem cells and injected Madeline with them. "There girl, you should be fine in a few hours." Hizzeur gave one more hateful glare at Hannibal before departing with one of the field kits.

Hiro had departed the command bridge when her orders had arrived and took the turbo lift with Chris and Mack. She kept her sensor gloves on but mentally switched to passive mode so her HUD was inundated with minutiae until it came time to triage. She checked her plasma knives, useful for both self-defense and field surgery. She grabbed the spare Medical Field Kit in the transporter ready room just as Hizzeur shambled up with Nurse Gutenberg in tow. Gutenberg was laden down with a an additional Field Kit and one of the expandable hover boards in case they needed to reposition patients.

--- --- ---

Hannibal administered a mild sedative to Madeline so she wouldn't bother him and then left her to recover beneath one of the Biospheric Medical Beds the ships as outfitted with. He pursed his lips and withdrew from sickbay, took the turbolift up to the Command Bridge and nodded to Commander Winters.

"Commander Winters, per Directive 39 Section 16, I'll assume XO responsibilities and prepare to take over command should you be rendered unfit for duty." Hannibal gave a curt nod befitting Winter's new rank in the command hierarchy, and took his place in Winter's old chair.

Dale tapped the communicator on his conn, "Commodore, I advise that you take a Security escort with you. We have no idea what the situation is over there and your safety is our prime concern when you beam from this ship. We can not afford to let you beam over without security personnel."

He of course should go himself, but since the Commodore have made it clear that he was not included in the away team, he still had to do his duty and that was to protect the captain of the vessel. The arrival of Doctor Hannibal who immediately instated himself as second in command, did not do more for Dale's ease of mind.

Lt. Commander Lynn and Lt. JG Sims arrived first to Transporter Room One. The rest of the team assembled in Transporter Room Two with instructions to begin repairs as soon as they were on board. Lynn stepped beside the transporter chief and conducted a quick scan of the Saratoga.

"Is there a good place for us to beam into?" Mack asked as he pulled out the clip that was the power pack of his type II phaser. Feeling secure that it was in operational order he re holstered his weapon and waited along with the others.

"The bridge and engineering are still intact. I've got a team in Transporter Room Two that I'll send directly to engineering. Looks like the secondary systems are simply offline, so restoring secondary power shouldn't take long. That will give us access to the rest of the ship and to the survivors."

"Have your teams be careful when them make their way through the ship. With the damage that ship has taken there'll be hull breaches throughout." Pike told them, even though he knew everyone was already aware of that. "And remember that the Saratoga is a 40 year old ship, and even though she'd been refitted as best as possible the fact that she's still together after the beating she's taken is a miracle. Alright let's get this done." he ordered and then stepped up onto the transporter pad.

Dale tapped the communicator on his conn, "Commodore, I advise that you take a Security escort with you. We have no idea what the situation is over there and your safety is our prime concern when you beam from this ship. We can not afford to let you beam over without security personnel."

He of course should go himself, but since the Commodore have made it clear that he was not included in the away team, he still had to do his duty and that was to protect the captain of the vessel. The arrival of Doctor Hannibal who immediately instated himself as second in command, did not do more for Dale's ease of mind.

Pike knew he was right, but time was of the essence if they were going to save enough of the cadets. "Fine have them get to transporter room 2 and beam over as soon as they're ready." Pike didn't wait for a response, he just assumed that the Lieutenant would do what needed to be done.

Saratoga Bridge

After they materialized Mack began looking around, it wasn't good. The bridge was a mess, but might be repairable. But the crew, the entire bridge crew was dead. Most of the bridge crew seemed to be regular officers, but some of them were cadets. Mack was torn with his emotions, he was sad beyond belief as well as very angry.

Pike flipped open his communicator "Pike to Chimera, transport complete. Everyone on the bridge is dead." he told them.

Lynn took a quick visual survey of the consoles. The center console was completely blackened by fire. If the ship would ever move again, it would take a while to transfer helm control. Communications was out, so was tactical. Amazingly, the engineering station seemed to be more or less intact. "If I can get the bridge on battery power, we should be able to access the logs," Lynn said, leading Sims over to the console.

Sims opened her toolkit and began to work on restoring more permanent power while Lynn ducked under the engineering console, removed the hatch, and began to hook up a small portable battery unit. It would take him just a minute or so to get the station up and running.

"All right so until you get coms back online we'll be using our communicators." Pike told everyone. He then flipped open his communicator again. "Pike to Chimera, start sending rescue teams over. Beam them to the closest and safest locations to the life signs." he ordered. After closing his communicator he looked at Mack. "I'm going to go to auxiliary control and see what kind of shape it's in. You got the bridge." he told Mack and then Pike took one of the other engineers and security officer with him.

Just a few moments after Pike and company vacated the bridge, the Engineering station hummed to life. "Okay," Lynn said, picking himself up off of the floor. He pulled a disk out of his kit and began to download everything he could from the bridge computer, at least everything from the last 12 hours. Meanwhile, he checked the logs and found them intact, as well as the most up-to-date damage report from just before the bridge lost power. It confirmed Chimera's scans about the Saratoga. Unless a couple tow ships could get to the Saratoga and take her to the nearest starbase, she would never be warp-capable again. He had a sinking feeling Pike would have him destroy the old girl with the auto-destruct, which fortunately was online.

"Captain," he called out. "I've got the logs and recordings for the last ten minutes leading up to the distress call. Do you want to view them?"

Space

"Have they detected us yet?"

"Not yet sir, they are running active scans however. Fortunately we know where the gaps in their scanning radius is. And the radiation is helping us get to those other gaps."

"It's time we let them know we're here. Rig from silent running, bring weapons to bare on the Chimera."

Chimera - Bridge

Jill, sitting at communications, noticed when the Saratoga's distress beacon was silenced. Taking a brief look at sensors, she was able to see several of the Saratoga's secondary systems begin to come online. In the same glance, she saw something--a faint bit of radiation--that didn't belong to Chimera or the Saratoga.

"Commander!" she called out, spinning around in her chair. "There's something out there."

tags everyone on the bridge

Saratoga Auxiliary Control

Pike and the men he had brought with him entered the Aux. Control room. If it was still operational they could run the entire ship from here. Pike went over to the main console and pressed a few controls activating the view screen.

One of the other men informed him that the room was more or less operation and they were getting around to accessing what they could of the ship's systems including internal sensors. "Commodore I'm picking up a group of cadets that seem to be trapped in the catwalk of the port nacelle."

"Alright you two keep working in here, contact Captain Hunter and one you get everything else working." he told them and then left the room.

Saratoga Bridge

Mack walked over to Lynn. "By all means let's see what they saw." he told the engineer.

But before they could see anything the bridge was rocked by an explosion and and some smaller ones. They had all been in combat enough times that they knew the ship had just been attacked, but by whom.

Lynn checked the small readout on the station. "New hull breaches. The entire forward sections have been exposed to space. No one was in there that we knew of."

"Can you get those sections closed off?" Mack asked Lynn.

"Auxiliary power isn't back yet," Lynn replied. "Until then, there's nothing I can do."

Somewhere in space

"You missed the Chimera!"

"We're sorry sir... the radiation was affecting our sensors as well. However we've now filtered it out and our targeting instruments are working as designed again."

"Then fire on the Chimera." the Commander ordered.

Back