Language hints

stickygirl

All the witches
Just a shout for our non-binary NB friends and how we can all counter the BS posters that stamp their feet and refuse to use gender neutral pronouns. Here's a reminder of how we have always used neutral pronouns

Subject : When someone signs up to participate in the trial, they are given a preliminary questionnaire.
Object : It’s important to show the customer that you are listening to them.
Possessive : Max is really smart. Theirs are always the best ideas.
Reflexive : Sacha will have the place all to themselves.

You may have further examples - I borrowed these from scribbr.co.uk

You couldn't write it better! Here's a direct quote from a foot stamper at Lit and I'm certain they hadn't realised the mistake included in their rant :)

"I am not going to call a person them or they when it is a single person. They do not decide how I address or refer to them."

:ROFLMAO:

You couldn't write it better! Here's a direct quote from a foot stamper at Lit and I'm certain they hadn't realised the mistake included in their rant :)

"I am not going to call a person them or they when it is a single person. They do not decide how I address or refer to them."

:ROFLMAO:
That second sentence in the quote. Nice self own.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of soap opera entertainment, but that AH thread is, as my American cousins would say, a doozy or a jimdandy or a crackerjack.

Anyway, the slapbitch fest over there pushed me check up on the linguistic usage of 'they' and here's a decent reference from a murican source

I couldn't help but see the immediate parallels between gender expression, autism and NB. Who says we have to use binary pronouns or sit like a stone as we play the piano?
Despite her performance there will of course be plenty of crusty old haters saying she only got the slot because she was 'special'.

I was using they and them and even theirs before any of them became a thing. I can use possessives like theirs, but when it gets to plurals or plural possessives, it just doesn't work right when referring to an individual. I'll also use generic terms like person, persons or even terms like one when mentioning one's job, one's home or one's life goals.

Have you been to their house?

Have you seen their car?

What do you think of that bike of theirs?

Have you noticed how they walk?

I never saw any of them as an issue.

Back