Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the way your sparkling earrings lay
Against your skin so brown.
An' I wanna sleep with you in the desert tonight
With a billion stars all around.

'Cause I got a peaceful easy feeling,
And I know you won't let me down,
'Cause I'm already standing on the ground.

And I found out a long time ago
What a woman can do to your soul.
Ah, but she can't take you any way
You don't already know how to go.

And I got a peaceful, easy feeling,

I get this feeling I may know you
As a lover and a friend,
But this voice keeps whispering
In my other ear,
Tells me I may never see you again.

'Cause I get a peaceful, easy feeling
and I know you won't let me down,
'Cause I'm already standing,
I'm already standing...
Yes, I'm already standing...
On the ground.

Thee, I didn't even know you had any stories here.

So you either have signatures turned off, or ignore them like the rest of us do ;)

I have also linked them whenever I have posted a new one (which rarely happens). But I don't know if you were around for that one.

I like the way your sparkling earrings lay
Against your skin so brown.
An' I wanna sleep with you in the desert tonight
With a billion stars all around.

'Cause I got a peaceful easy feeling,

And I found out a long time ago
What a woman can do to your soul.
Ah, but she can't take you any way
You don't already know how to go.

And I got a peaceful, easy feeling,

I get this feeling I may know you
As a lover and a friend,
But this voice keeps whispering
In my other ear,
Tells me I may never see you again.

'Cause I get a peaceful, easy feeling
and I know you won't let me down,
'Cause I'm already standing,
I'm already standing...
Yes, I'm already standing...
On the ground.

Oh, I have such fond memories of this song. The lyrics seem even more poignant today.

Good grief - how many "virgins" are there on Lit., and why do they seem to want to PM us "old" folk Litsters? :rolleyes:

They assume, probably with some foundation, that experience counts for something?

Either that, or you're just on here all the time and more likely to fall victim to their random predations... ;)

But I liked having a story that everyone hated...

__

Unrelated:

FINALLY! A Comfortable headset that fits the ergonomics of my head.

One more "First" story in the FlashFic thread and you get the honor of changing the topic. Come on. You can write one hundred words, can't you? Tell me about your first...

A :kiss: from the good little witch.

One more "First" story in the FlashFic thread and you get the honor of changing the topic. Come on. You can write one hundred words, can't you? Tell me about your first...

A :kiss: from the good little witch.

My first crayon ?.
Oh yes. The doctor had to get it out of my ear. . . .
:rose:

It's almost time for the Saturday afternoon radio broadcast from The Metropolitan Opera.

This week: Guiseppe Verdi's Rigoletto.

Both Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto and Victor Hugo’s Le Roi s’amuse—the work on which it’s based—have a rich history with the morality police. Hugo’s 1832 play, which portrays King Francis I of France as a randy seducer, was banned after a single performance for its depiction of a licentious monarch. Verdi encountered similar resistance from the Austrian censors, who wielded enormous power in northern Italy, and it was only after the composer moved the action of his opera to 16th-century Mantua, whose ruling family had long since disappeared, that Rigoletto was finally able 
to have its triumphant premiere at La Fenice in 1851. Regardless of its setting or version, though, the opera takes place in a world where powerful men use women as playthings, where proximity to wealth and power is all-important, and where putting out a hit on an enemy is par for the course. In other words, director Michael Mayer’s decision to set his new Met production of Rigoletto in Las Vegas in 1960 is right on the money.

“Rigoletto has long been one of my favorite operas,” says Mayer, whose production premieres on January 28 with Željko Lučić in the title role, Diana Damrau as his beloved daughter, Gilda, and Piotr Beczala as the womanizing Duke. As soon as Mayer was engaged
for the project, “I started thinking about what I could bring to this masterpiece, which has been seen all over the world for so many decades and in different incarnations. One of the things I discussed with Peter Gelb was to try and make the audience feel closer to the story—without setting the opera today, which dates something automatically. You try to find the right setting in a context that’s in
the past but not so far in the past that it feels like a museum piece. That way it can have real, immediate resonance but also a kind of purity and universality.”

It didn’t take long for Mayer to 
land on sixties Las Vegas as just the
sort of semi-recent historical moment that could lend potency to the story.
“I started to think about the world of the Duke’s palace, and who Rigoletto
is, and how that could feel fresh,” he says. “I tried to imagine what a contemporary version of the decadent world
of the Duke’s palace would be—where people are partying and full of a kind of fascination with power and money and beauty—and I thought of Las Vegas as the epitome of an American destiny for the events that happen in Rigoletto.”

Mayer, who has had notable success on Broadway, winning a Tony Award for his staging of Spring Awakening, is hardly the first director to take an unconventional approach to Verdi’s tale of the hunchbacked court jester. Jonathan Miller famously scored a major success with his Mafia version, set in Little Italy in the 1950s, which premiered at English National Opera in 1982 and has been seen in many houses since then. Mayer’s placement of Rigoletto in Las Vegas clearly is a theatrically intriguing idea as well.

Needless to say, the setting also 
offers great opportunities for devising striking visuals that will bring the neon-drenched atmosphere of Vegas to vivid life on the Met’s grand stage...

more: http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/news/features/rigoletto-light-motif

There, there, dear, here's a tissue.
Blow
No dear, you're supposed to close your mouth when you blow.
That's better.
A clean nose.

And now, shopping then a coffee.
Toodles,
:rose:

Odd way to blow. :devil:

Unrelated blurt:

Burgers just aren't the same without cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back