If you Sell Books

gordo12

Experienced
What format is your most popular one? Or do the booksellers even give you that info? I assume Amazon only sells kindle formats but I have a kindle reader and maybe I don't know of anything else.

I know Smash offers a host of formats for clients. It must be expensive for ISBNs for you to comply? Fortunately, Canadians get them free. Or can you pick and choose which formats to support?

What format is your most popular one? Or do the booksellers even give you that info? I assume Amazon only sells kindle formats but I have a kindle reader and maybe I don't know of anything else.

I know Smash offers a host of formats for clients. It must be expensive for ISBNs for you to comply? Fortunately, Canadians get them free. Or can you pick and choose which formats to support?

Amazon sells multiple formats, but the bulk of my sales there are Kindle. My books are variously available in physical, .epub and .mobi format, too, but I haven't actually tried to break out how the various formats have sold. I'll make that a bit of a project, it should be on my royalty statements.

Amazon will do a paperback or hardback too. Nearly everything of mine that would be long enough to put between covers is offered in paperback as well as e-book (I don't believe in shelling out money for hardbacks. My shelves are overflowing; I no longer hoard books. I read them and shove them on, although I only read in paperback).

My publisher says that various formats going to mobile phones sell the most, followed by Kindle, followed by Nook (with Nook in its death throes). Smashbooks will set it up for the Nook reader.

I don't know what ISBNs cost now or if Amazon charges for its ASIN numbers. My publishers cover such costs themselves.

Last edited:
Amazon will do a paperback or hardback too. Nearly everything of mine that would be long enough to put between covers is offered in paperback as well as e-book (I don't believe in shelling out money for hardbacks. My shelves are overflowing; I no longer horde books. I read them and shove them on, although I only read in paperback).

My publisher says that various formats going to mobile phones sell the most, followed by Kindle, followed by Nook (with Nook in its death throes). Smashbooks will set it up for the Nook reader.

I don't know what ISBNs cost now or if Amazon charges for its ASIN numbers. My publishers cover such costs themselves.

My understanding is that Amazon will issue an ASIN number free(?) for books without ISBN. But that's interesting. I didn't know they offered different formats, but it does make sense.

I know Smash offered a list of about 8 different formats it supports. I was wondering if it was even worth doing. ISBNs are free here in Canada but the work ;) And do the sales justify it?

Good to know about the phones though. Thanks!

As of publishing my last (fantasy) novel through Amazon earlier this year, they still were not charging for ASINs for ebooks. I was able to worldwide distribute it across all Amazon platforms (.com, .uk, etc) without buying one. I kept the ebook on Amazon mostly just to get it in Kindle Unlimited, since page reads there account for a good chunk of my earnings. That's with fantasy, though; I understand erotica is not as easy a sell to Amazon for publishing.

I had my own ISBNs for paperback because they are on other platforms. You can get $10 for $275 or so, or 1000 for $1000 but that's only worth it if you are a publisher and need that kind of volume.

I didn't know they offered different formats, but it does make sense.

They offer the ebooks for Kindle, though with reflowable MOBI, in theory the same book can be read across phones/tablets/kindles/PCs. Ebooks and paperbacks are both relatively easy to set up in KDP, and simple to track sales and to update. I haven't tried hardcover, it's a fairly new thing (this year, I believe) from Amazon.

I don't know for sure about Amazon and hardbacks, but my erotica books have been going out in paperback from Amazon since 2006.

I don't know for sure about Amazon and hardbacks, but my erotica books have been going out in paperback from Amazon since 2006.

How are they selling nowadays compared to the electronic versions?

How are they selling nowadays compared to the electronic versions?

Not well, but I'm old school and only read in paperback and insisted my publishers make that available for others as old school as I am. This comes from the publishers also publishing some of my nonerotica novellas, novels, and anthologies, which sell better in paperback than the erotica ones do. That stands to reason. A lot of folks don't mind having dirty books in their computers that they don't want to have on their shelves at home. (That said, I know of some openly gay guys who do like to see the paperbacks on their shelves.)

There's an international depository of smut in print (I don't remember the name) that my publishers feed with any paperbacks I have. I find it fun to know that my stuff is in a physical library like that--and may be for some time after I'm dust and ash.

None of this costs me a cent (and, no, I don't buy my paperbacks either).

Not well, but I'm old school and only read in paperback and insisted my publishers make that available for others as old school as I am. This comes from the publishers also publishing some of my nonerotica novellas, novels, and anthologies, which sell better in paperback than the erotica ones do. That stands to reason. A lot of folks don't mind having dirty books in their computers that they don't want to have on their shelves at home. (That said, I know of some openly gay guys who do like to see the paperbacks on their shelves.)

There's an international depository of smut in print (I don't remember the name) that my publishers feed with any paperbacks I have. I find it fun to know that my stuff is in a physical library like that--and may be for some time after I'm dust and ash.

None of this costs me a cent (and, no, I don't buy my paperbacks either).

https://www.bookdepository.com/publishers/Erotic-Print-Society ? Does that sound right? The Erotic Print Society? At BookDepository.com. Tempting. We walked into a used book store a couple of weekends ago. My buddy was teasing, asking me which section he should go to find my stories. It's be cool to have print versions stored somewhere. ;)

https://www.bookdepository.com/publishers/Erotic-Print-Society ? Does that sound right? The Erotic Print Society? At BookDepository.com. Tempting. We walked into a used book store a couple of weekends ago. My buddy was teasing, asking me which section he should go to find my stories. It's be cool to have print versions stored somewhere. ;)

That's probably right. I remember the term "bookdepository."

During a book festival some years ago I went and stood beside the bookcase in the local B&N where a few of my nonerotic books were shelved, hoping, I suppose, that someone would remark on one of my books and receive the thrill of me telling him I wrote the book. It didn't happen, though.

Is there money in it?
I wrote a novel size story here and while I know it would take some major editing, if I got a few bucks out of it.....

Going by the sales from my website which offers multiple formats, PDF is the most common, probably because you can read it on pretty much any device without needing a specific app.

I don't think I have published a new story for sale, since Black Puma - Cat's Paw back in 2017, or is that '17. All my shit under three different pen names, has a few sales a month but my income comes from ghostwork. Hard to sell stories under the same pen name you are giving the stuff away for free...

You can get a free ISBN from Smashwords. You can also publish in all sorts of formats, automatically.
You can get a free ASIN from Amazon, even if you have an ISBN from Smashwords, for the same title.
I also have some titles in Lot's Cave that Amazon and/or Smashwords won't publish for R. Richard, but they will publish for Lot's Cave. I have never called Amazon and/or Smashwords bigots.

You can get a free ISBN from Smashwords. You can also publish in all sorts of formats, automatically.
You can get a free ASIN from Amazon, even if you have an ISBN from Smashwords, for the same title.
I also have some titles in Lot's Cave that Amazon and/or Smashwords won't publish for R. Richard, but they will publish for Lot's Cave. I have never called Amazon and/or Smashwords bigots.

I've looked at Lot's Cave, but am unsure the policy if you have books already at Smashwords and Amazon. What I mean is, is it exclusive and they distribute, or can you have the books also published elsewhere? They do their own sales through their site. But they also send books to the Smashwords and Amazon. So was just curious what they do if it is already up on those sites.

I've been told that if they supply the ISBN they become the legal publisher? Is that accurate. Anyone know? I do know I had to register as the publisher in Canada to get access to the system.

What rights that would bring I'm not sure?

So you write underage like Amicus?

I know more about the thing that runs Lot's Cave than I wish I knew.

Anyone wants to know the truth behind who runs that site, I'll give details through PM because let's just say it wouldn't be within the boards rules to post it.

I've been told that if they supply the ISBN they become the legal publisher? Is that accurate. Anyone know? I do know I had to register as the publisher in Canada to get access to the system.

They are in a way. I'm not sure what rights you give up though. ISBN isn't issued on eBook's by amazon, only the printed ones by Amazon. You aren't supposed to use the ISBN you get for free at smashwords on your publications at Amazon. I'm not putting money into anything going up at Amazon and Red Kitty's doesn't either.

They're down as publisher of record, but you maintain rights. All my non taboo on SW is also on amazon, I just don't list the ISBN because you don't have to.

I've looked at Lot's Cave, but am unsure the policy if you have books already at Smashwords and Amazon. What I mean is, is it exclusive and they distribute, or can you have the books also published elsewhere? They do their own sales through their site. But they also send books to the Smashwords and Amazon. So was just curious what they do if it is already up on those sites.

I use Lot's Cave to publish my books that have an incest theme. Frequently Amazon or Smashwords wouldn't publish incest theme books for R. Richard, they would for Lot's Cave. ???

I use Lot's Cave to publish my books that have an incest theme. Frequently Amazon or Smashwords wouldn't publish incest theme books for R. Richard, they would for Lot's Cave. ???

Your R. Richard. I guess you mean they published the books of yours about incest, through the Lot's Cave publishing.

That is one of my questions, do I need to remove the books from SmashWords and Amazon if I put them at Lots Cave?

So you write underage like Amicus?

I know more about the thing that runs Lot's Cave than I wish I knew.

Anyone wants to know the truth behind who runs that site, I'll give details through PM because let's just say it wouldn't be within the boards rules to post it.

I don't write underage, for any publisher.

I have communicated with who runs Lot's Cave and been treated with courtesy.

If you have inside information as to why some stories get published in Smashwords or Amazon and some not, please tell me. (Coin flip?)

Your R. Richard. I guess you mean they published the books of yours about incest, through the Lot's Cave publishing.

That is one of my questions, do I need to remove the books from Smashwords and Amazon if I put them at Lots Cave?

In my experience, Lot's Cave likes to publish themes that I often can't get published via Smashwords or Amazon. I will say that my incest themed stories always have a real plot.

In my experience, Lot's Cave likes to publish themes that I often can't get published via Smashwords or Amazon. I will say that my incest themed stories always have a real plot.

I used to write rape stories, rather poorly, and I'd like to do so again. Describing the rape, and the aftermath, and maybe some revenge. The revenge was always something I wanted for myself. Nuff said. It's almost impossible to publish them at SmashWords or Amazon.

Back