Advertising through Literotica

BoBoJoe

Loves Spam
I see that some of you have signatures that advertise the various places that you sell your work. I have two questions.

1) Am I correct in assuming that we are not allowed to mention the big A-word? I tried to link to my kindle books and it said the word was censored. Is it because of their strict can't publish anywhere else rule?

2) Am I making a mistake by publishing there? I guess I assume going there is the best option because it's bigger and will be seen by more people. But maybe that's silly because I'm essentially selling smut and people don't go to amazon for that. I'm very open to thoughts and advise.

I got as far down as "people don't go to Amazon" to buy smut, and I was laughing so hard I was unable to address your other questions. :D

I see that some of you have signatures that advertise the various places that you sell your work. I have two questions.

1) Am I correct in assuming that we are not allowed to mention the big A-word? I tried to link to my kindle books and it said the word was censored. Is it because of their strict can't publish anywhere else rule?

2) Am I making a mistake by publishing there? I guess I assume going there is the best option because it's bigger and will be seen by more people. But maybe that's silly because I'm essentially selling smut and people don't go to amazon for that. I'm very open to thoughts and advise.

The only thing I can answer is this; you'll get more views on Literotica, but if you go on the paid market, it's mostly different readers. And if you go on the paid market, it's extremely difficult to get readers because there's so much competition.

I got as far down as "people don't go to Amazon" to buy smut, and I was laughing so hard I was unable to address your other questions. :D

LOL! Well that might be overstating it. Clearly based on the one sale and 31 pages read I have people do. And since there is a category there for erotica it must be a thing. But I've read things on reddit about books being banned and people getting kicked off of Amazon altogether for crossing the line. I just want to find the biggest possible audience for my kinky writing. And if that means leaving Amazon, so be it.

OK, I've recovered from the "Amazon doesn't distribute smut" comment and can get down to the bottom line here--which is, you're not a Literotica author. Until you are, and you want to advertise your Amazon wares here, you are just an interloper trying to advertise your wares elsewhere and have no personal non-Literotica privileges from this Web site.

Become a Literotica author and you'll find there are opportunities here to link to your Amazon portfolio (here, for instance: http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=569279&page=90). I have no trouble linking to my Amazon offerings. As a Literotica author you can do so on a dedicated thread for this, in your author profile, and on your signature space.

But become a Literotica author first. Literotica privileges are for Literotica authors. The Web site isn't in business to give competitors business.

The only thing I can answer is this; you'll get more views on Literotica, but if you go on the paid market, it's mostly different readers. And if you go on the paid market, it's extremely difficult to get readers because there's so much competition.

Oh I'm okay with the competition. I got into this thing as practice for my sci-fi and fantasy writing. I just started to really enjoy it. My aunt was so thrilled with it she convinced me to start trying to sell them. If I lose, I lose. Nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

I think I did decent when I had my stuff up on Literotica. People rated me pretty high. They were reading for free then so who knows. They might feel different if I ask for money. I figure I could still post smaller stories or pieces of stories or who knows.

7. Please do not blatantly "advertise" for other websites in your signature. We allow non-commercial links to other people's personal websites in sigs, but please do not beg people to click on your link, make it huge and/or flashing, or otherwise be obnoxious.

We do not allow links to any adult pay sites. We also reserve the right to remove signatures which link to sites with numerous annoying pop-ups, viruses, or anything else potentially harmful to people's computers. If you turn your signature into an advertisement, we will ask you to change it.

http://www.literotica.com/support/forum_rules.shtml

LOL! Well that might be overstating it. Clearly based on the one sale and 31 pages read I have people do. And since there is a category there for erotica it must be a thing. But I've read things on reddit about books being banned and people getting kicked off of Amazon altogether for crossing the line. I just want to find the biggest possible audience for my kinky writing. And if that means leaving Amazon, so be it.
You will get a far bigger audience here on Lit than through any marketplace outlet. You will get zero direct sales from reads here on Lit. If you have volume both here on Lit and out there in the marketplace (like KeithD, for example, and others) you have some chance of an income from indirect sales. If you have one book with 32 pages don't plan on retiring any time soon, you won't even make money for a coffee.

But if you have no content here on Lit, then no, you can't advertise here.

Oh I'm okay with the competition. I got into this thing as practice for my sci-fi and fantasy writing. I just started to really enjoy it. My aunt was so thrilled with it she convinced me to start trying to sell them. If I lose, I lose. Nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

I think I did decent when I had my stuff up on Literotica. People rated me pretty high. They were reading for free then so who knows. They might feel different if I ask for money. I figure I could still post smaller stories or pieces of stories or who knows.

Best of luck.

I don't have any experience with the paid market, but I'd imagine you'd need a great strategy for promoting your paid work, like growing a social media presence and all that... along with coming up with great titles and getting someone to create graphic designs for cover work.

Back