I want to share but I'm embarrassed.....

I guess I'm just wondering, how do you tell people in your life that you're a writer with out giving too much away??
I don't. Not a word. I mask my time on Lit. with previous extensive time on Democratic Underground. I sometimes report on interesting events as if they were in DU. I have an ingenious way to hide my manuscripts in a Temp folder, with changed extensions. Etc., etc., etc.

The one exception is this. I wrote a vanilla (non S & M) story from the female POV. Don't know where it came from. Very short. I e-mailed that to hubby. He liked it, I think, but was mostly concerned that someone would find it. He hasn't asked anymore about it. He wouldn't. But I don't think he's forgotten about it.

Hello!
I'm writing my first book and it's turning out to be SUPER erotic!
Hi. I see it's been over 6 weeks since you posted this. I don't know why it was so high in the Author's Hangout page that I spotted it. Anyway, have you published it? Maybe here on Lit.? Be sure to tell us when you do, OK?

I told two friends, we have drinks every week, they were so supportive, begged for links (I refused) They were both really into it, and happy for me.

You're so prolific! What do they think you're doing when you're writing?
I'm also writing to the mainstream and editing for publishers. My family probably either thinks I'm a slow writer or has no idea how long it takes to write something.
You're so prolific! What do they think you're doing when you're writing?

No, I defiantly don't want to try make money.
I would like to self publish some day and I guess I just want to make sure my words stay mine? I dunno, does that make sense?
The only 100% prevention against copying is keep the work for yourself. It's a pain when you see your work published somewhere else but it 's reality that it can happen. Better be proud that your work is worth to be copied, then get annoyed or even depressed.

I only told my dad that I'm writing romance with an "erotic edge"

He didn't seem happy or sad, but he was said,

"Well as long as you're not writing about guys pinning women down and shoving cocks down their throats."

😳
"Nope! Not that at all! HA HA HA HA HA" 🫣

But yeah, mostly I just tell people that I write romance, or sci-fi, or fantasy... Because all that's is true.

I've told several guys at work the plot of Rescuing the Fallen, with the erotic nature removed, and you'd be shocked how many of them support the basic idea of mind-controlling their wives.

That's pretty fucked up, no lie... But in the story, I eroticize the whole thing, so I guess I'm to blame too. 😳
Seriously? That's what your dad said? That's pretty hilarious. 😂 Both my parents passed away before I started writing erotica, so I can't tell them even if I wanted to. Which I never would have anyway because they were pretty conservative. But they were still great parents, and I miss them both all the time. :heart:

Seriously? That's what your dad said? That's pretty hilarious. 😂
🤣 Those were basically his exact words.

The irony is that noncon constitutes the majority of what I write about.

I've written about men shoving cocks into women's throats... ummm... 3 times or more. But how are you gonna tell that to your dad?

I mean, I've written a similar number of instances of fantasy stories where women pin down men and have their way with them... So maybe that makes it fair? He didn't ask about those, so I didn't offer. Lol

If I thought that my dad was afraid that I'm married to an actual rapist or something, maybe it'd be worse. But it isn't like my dad thinks my husband is pinning me down and shoving a cock down my throat. I'm sure of that.

Irl, my sex life is pretty vanilla, which is honestly how I prefer it. It's only my writings which includes any sexual coercion... Thank God.

🤣 Those were basically his exact words.

The irony is that noncon constitutes the majority of what I write about.

I've written about men shoving cocks into women's throats... ummm... 3 times or more. But how are you gonna tell that to your dad?

I mean, I've written a similar number of instances of fantasy stories where women pin down men and have their way with them... So maybe that makes it fair? He didn't ask about those, so I didn't offer. Lol

If I thought that my dad was afraid that I'm married to an actual rapist or something, maybe it'd be worse. But it isn't like my dad thinks my husband is pinning me down and shoving a cock down my throat. I'm sure of that.

Irl, my sex life is pretty vanilla, which is honestly how I prefer it. It's only my writings which includes any sexual coercion... Thank God.
Thanks for the extra info M. :)

Back