I tried to write something different, but...

JohnSm123

Loves Spam
As you know, a while ago, I tried to write a medieval-fantasy smut story. For about 10.000 words, everything was going well, until someone told me the names were not medieval enough. After days of futile attempts to find names that were medieval enough, I gave up that story.

Anyway, recently, I decided to try my luck with something without much smut. In fact, long ago, I did write a full urban-fantasy story (about 30.000 words), but I didn't publish it, because during the editing process, I couldn't figure out when to use contractions and when not to (e.g. She's or She is? It will or It'll? John is here or John's here?)

Recently, a professional, published author, unintentionally gave me the answer to that problem. Her name was Ursula Le Guin. When I came across one of her Earthsea books, I noticed she uses full forms (he is, did not etc.) in narration and contractions in dialogue. That pattern is simple and could rid me of that headache, so I decided to follow it. All I now needed to do was to go back to my urban-fantasy story, edit it according to that guideline regarding contractions/full forms, and it'd be ready to publish. Right?

Unfortunately, as it turned out, things were not so simple. My joy was short-lived. You see, this time, during the editing process, I realized there was another obstacle, which I hadn't noticed before: punctuation. When should I use semicolons? When should I use periods? When should I use em-dashes? It turns out I have three choices:

1. Keep it simple and use only periods. But I'm afraid this way some sentences will be unclear. For example: He won't be a problem to us. I took his gun. With a period, doesn't it sound as if the fact that I took his gun is something totally irrelevant to the fact that he's not a problem to us? I think it does. So if I use periods, the meaning will be unclear everywhere, and the readers will be confused and laugh at me.

2. Use semicolons whenever needed. However, I realized the cases like the example above are countless in my manuscript. Which means I'll have to use countless semicolons. And that will make my text look ludicrous. Besides, I have read in many articles that semicolons are ugly and confusing and draw the reader out of the story. Imagine how confused and drawn out the reader will be if I use countless of them.

3. Use semicolons sparingly. But in that case, how will I decide when to use them and when not to? I can't figure out any way to decide that. And what about colons? In many cases like the example above, I had originally used colons, because I had read in an article that they are a great way of putting more emphasis to what follows. Until someone told me it's wrong to use colons that way. And many people agreed, stressing I should use colons to introduce lists, so I went back and replaced all those colons.
Until a few minutes ago, someone told me, "Hey, by the way, you have another great option: colons." Which turns out that all the previous people were wrong and what I read in that article was right. Or not? I no longer know what to believe.

And so, seeing that I'll never be able to figure out how to use proper punctuation, I once again gave up. This time not just writing smut but writing any genre. I mean, if I can't punctuate properly, it doesn't matter what genre I write, so there's no point in keeping banging my head on that wall called "You'll never figure out how to punctuate." That wall will never break. Only my head will break if I keep banging it on there.

I have to accept I can't become an author no matter what I do.

HAff.gif

tl,dr: woe, woe, woe.

Oh my fucking gods...

Have you talked to people in real life? How do you want the dialog to sound, like real people, or Fun With Dick and Jane? Most people talk with contractions-- ain't never heard nobody that never uses them.

Do you know what punctuations are for? Personally I don't use semicolons as much as I used to, most of the time a comma will do just fine in place.
Punctuation
More Punctuation
Punctuating Dialog

Nobody's perfect, you not gettin' nowhere if ya don't just try, but do it. I've been writing for years and need to work on punctuation. Stop being so fucking self-destructive and write some shit! How do you even get outta bedā€½ Just do it, dawg!

All you Litsters, celebrate and rejoice!
We're spared an author gloomier even than Joyce.

Oh my fucking gods...

Have you talked to people in real life? How do you want the dialog to sound, like real people, or Fun With Dick and Jane? Most people talk with contractions-- ain't never heard nobody that never uses them.
So you're saying I should use them all the time, turning my manuscript into a mess of munched words? Personally, I don't like contractions, and I didn't want to use them that much, until someone pointed out I should. But they didn't specify what contractions they meant. Should I even go as far as writing Those guys're or mustn't've? What Ursula Le Guin did seemed a good middle-ground solution to me. But now that you said that, I'm not even sure about contractions anymore, so the unsolvable problems (hence the reasons I have to give up writing) just got doubled.

I don't use semicolons as much as I used to, most of the time a comma will do just fine in place.
That's vague and doesn't really answer anything.

Nobody's perfect, you not gettin' nowhere if ya don't just try, but do it. I've been writing for years and need to work on punctuation. Stop being so fucking self-destructive and write some shit! How do you even get outta bedā€½ Just do it, dawg!
I don't know what your original intention was, but what you said about contractions just gave me more reasons not to write.

Alas OP, you are the doomest among the most doomed writers who were ever doomed by any doom. Be patient and wait for the restart of the universe and everything will be fine... unless it all ends up in a doom, of course. šŸ«¤

Alas OP, you are the doomest among the most doomed writers who were ever doomed by any doom. Be patient and wait for the restart of the universe and everything will be fine... unless it all ends up in a doom, of course. šŸ«¤
I'm just waiting for the mods to ban me and for my death to come. Whichever comes first.

So you're saying I should use them all the time, turning my manuscript into a mess of munched words? Personally, I don't like contractions, and I didn't want to use them that much, until someone pointed out I should. But they didn't specify what contractions they meant. Should I even go as far as writing Those guys're or mustn't've? What Ursula Le Guin did seemed a good middle-ground solution to me. But now that you said that, I'm not even sure about contractions anymore, so the unsolvable problems (hence the reasons I have to give up writing) just got doubled.

That's vague and doesn't really answer anything.

I don't know what your original intention was, but what you said about contractions just gave me more reasons not to write.
I don't know who she is, or what she writes. I'm not saying use them all the time. Sounds like she gave you good advice. Ya ain't gotta use'm, and mobody's sayin' ya should.

It does if you read the links.

Trying to help yo dumb, fickle ass.

As you know, a while ago, I tried to write a medieval-fantasy smut story. For about 10.000 words, everything was going well, until someone told me the names were not medieval enough. After days of futile attempts to find names that were medieval enough, I gave up that story.

Anyway, recently, I decided to try my luck with something without much smut. In fact, long ago, I did write a full urban-fantasy story (about 30.000 words), but I didn't publish it, because during the editing process, I couldn't figure out when to use contractions and when not to (e.g. She's or She is? It will or It'll? John is here or John's here?)

Recently, a professional, published author, unintentionally gave me the answer to that problem. Her name was Ursula Le Guin. When I came across one of her Earthsea books, I noticed she uses full forms (he is, did not etc.) in narration and contractions in dialogue. That pattern is simple and could rid me of that headache, so I decided to follow it. All I now needed to do was to go back to my urban-fantasy story, edit it according to that guideline regarding contractions/full forms, and it'd be ready to publish. Right?

Unfortunately, as it turned out, things were not so simple. My joy was short-lived. You see, this time, during the editing process, I realized there was another obstacle, which I hadn't noticed before: punctuation. When should I use semicolons? When should I use periods? When should I use em-dashes? It turns out I have three choices:
I can't tell if you're seriously asking for help or just enjoying a little self-flagellation, but I'll assume the former.

It's relatively easy to find out typical names used in medieval times. Type "names used in medieval times" into your search engine and see what pops up.

I tend to use contractions mostly in dialogue because that's how people really speak. If you're back to medieval times, you might be better off with the full words, but nobody is going to critical of the use of contractions as long as the rest of the story is a good read. I'll use contractions in the narration in 1st POV because that's actually dialogue by the main character, but I'll use full words in 3d POV.

As far as I am concerned, the semicolon is obsolete punctuation. It's usually used to link two related independent clauses in one sentence, but using a conjunction like "and" or just using a period in place of the semicolon makes the writing and the reading easier. As an example:

"She was surprised by the gesture; no one had ever done that for her before."

can be written as

"She was surprised by the gesture. No one had ever done that for her before."

or

"She was surprised by the gesture because no one had ever done that for her before."

First, it's a medieval FANTASY story.
Who cares if the names aren't "medieval enough". It's fantasy, your world isn't this world and naming conventions are different.
And what a lot of people "know" about that kind of thing is bunk anyway.
If you named your FMC Tiffany they'd howl and complain, but the name dates back to the 12th century. It IS a medieval name.

As for punctuation and contractions.
Write like you talk. Would you say "is not" or "isn't" in a given context? Go with what feels natural and don't overthink it.
Same thing with comas and periods. Write the way you talk and punctuate accordingly. Only use semicolons if the word processor tells you to.

Okay, this guy's posts have skipped to the believability of an Indian action film. He's just trolling you now.

1699884964493.png

I don't know who she is, or what she writes. I'm not saying use them all the time. Sounds like she gave you good advice. Ya ain't gotta use'm, and mobody's sayin' ya should.
No, she didn't gave me any advice. I just read her book and saw that's how she does it.

I can't tell if you're seriously asking for help or just enjoying a little self-flagellation, but I'll assume the former.

It's relatively easy to find out typical names used in medieval times. Type "names used in medieval times" into your search engine and see what pops up.
I told you about it extensively in the other thread. I searched for medieval names, but they sounded too bland or weird. And the names that sounded nice for a fantasy story in my ears were names from after 1800. So I was stuck and gave up.

I tend to use contractions mostly in dialogue because that's how people really speak. If you're back to medieval times, you might be better off with the full words, but nobody is going to critical of the use of contractions as long as the rest of the story is a good read. I'll use contractions in the narration in 1st POV because that's actually dialogue by the main character, but I'll use full words in 3d POV.
I didn't use contractions as much either, until someone told me it sounds strange to write a little boy saying It will be fun instead of It'll be fun. Ever since, for the life of me, I can't figure out when to use contractions and when not to, so I gave up.

As far as I am concerned, the semicolon is obsolete punctuation. It's usually used to link two related independent clauses in one sentence, but using a conjunction like "and" or just using a period in place of the semicolon makes the writing and the reading easier. As an example:

"She was surprised by the gesture; no one had ever done that for her before."

can be written as

"She was surprised by the gesture. No one had ever done that for her before."

or

"She was surprised by the gesture because no one had ever done that for her before."
If I put a period, will readers understand that the fact that no one had ever done that before was the cause of her surprise? No, they won't.
On the other hand, if I use semicolons in such cases, my text will be full of them, and the readers will be drawn out of the story, since, as I read in an article, semicolons draw attention to themselves.
So I gave up.

As you can see, there is no way to solve any of those three problems. It is frustrating to know that my dreams to become an author have been crushed, yet that's the case.

Try advertising some other story websites on this board, it might help šŸ˜‡
Then they'll all be like, "You brought this to yourself."
No, my ban will happen in the same way it happened the previous 92957462967 times: One day, I'll try to log in and see a message that goes like, You have been banned from Literotica. Reason: unspecified. Date the bane will be lifted: never. Please contact the mods if you have any questions. Then I'll try to contact the mods for a few weeks, begging them to answer, asking them to at least tell me what I did wrong so I won't do it on other forums, but the mods will NEVER EVER EVER EVER answer.
But if I decide to be banned on purpose, I'll at least go down in a more graceful way than advertising sites. For example, I'll open a thread telling you all people what I really believe about you!

Okay, this guy's posts have skipped to the believability of an Indian action film. He's just trolling you now.
So his trolling is probably an attention-seeking strategy, which seems to be working. Yet the irony is that his behavior here does indicate that he is mentally troubled, although writer's block (if true) is a secondary symptom. The trolling itself is the primary indication that something is wrong with him.

Also, by having only one gimmick (well, maybe he has other accounts on Lit), he has become incredibly boring.

Back