how to predict the "official" word count for a 750 word story?

joy_of_cooking

Literotica Guru
I tried to submit a 750-word story (800+ with author's note) and got it sent back for being too short. I'm guessing Laurel's using a different word count tool. Is it known how Laurel defines a word?

Is it whatever is shown in the submission form? Do people paste their text in there to make the final tweaks?

Thinking of starting an 800-word tag...

It can be a bit frustrating, true. I am pretty sure hyphenated words count as one. I have tried using the word count on the site and still wasn’t spot-on.

The bottom line on this is what the count is on the submissions editor side. No one here can tell you what that will be. Most likely she's just looking at the Word file count, but that's just my supposition.

Does the submission form show a word count? I don't know, but if it does, that's the count I'd use.

I write in a Word clone, and all of the stories where it counts 750 words exactly, I've never had a problem submitting.

The word count is shown when you paste your story into the submissions form. If it says 750,it's 750. It may be a few out, if you cut and paste from Word. Make minor alterations until it shows 750.

PS: That doesn't mean that it'll show as 750 when published, it varies between 740 and 760.

Last edited:
I pasted in the story without author's note and such, tweaked until the submissions form counted 750 words, then added back the author's note and submitted. We'll see what Laurel makes of it.

750 words in MSWord is 750 words for Lit, in my limited experience of only publishing two of the few I've written.

I pasted in the story without author's note and such, tweaked until the submissions form counted 750 words, then added back the author's note and submitted. We'll see what Laurel makes of it.
I don't think she's pedantic about it, doesn't actually count every word. I suspect it's more to do with a sensible data slice in the story data base (a total character count, rather than words per se), and 750 words is "about right". We know it can be less than that, because the site allows poetry that's less than 750 words.

In the case of my last 750 word story, both Lit and Word said 750 words but it was rejected as too short. It took two trys to figure out the title and author byline doidn't count in Laurel's count. Just a heads up.

What are you using to count the words? When I wrangled the 750 word event this year I suggested using the word count function of MS Word or Google Docs - neither of them will come up with the exact same word count for the same story, they stumble over hyphenation as does Lit's Wordbot but they work. I suggested to the entrants to add the following as an intro:

Content Note: This is a little story for the 750 Word Project 2023. Beneath this line are exactly 750 words

That took the official word count up to 770 and I don't think anyone who did that got busted for being undersize. At least here on Lit, what happens at home is a different story.

My advice here is to go over your story and see where you could add details. Can a sex scene get longer or hotter? Can we get more into a character’s headspace? Is there some event later in the story you want to foreshadow? If this story is connected to another story you’ve written or might write through characters or plot, might you point that out or hint at it? It’s quite easy to find ways to lengthen a story if you’re into it enough. Pretty soon you won’t have to count the words to know if your story has enough of them.

Last edited:
Back