How to "ignore" a user?

BabblingBrooke

It's whatever
I've tried searching for this, but I am not having much luck with the search function here. It's either excessively difficult or I am inept.

Anyway, how do you put someone onto ignore? Does doing this make a persons posts and threads disappear? It seems like doing this could make the General Board a bit lighter.

I've tried searching for this, but I am not having much luck with the search function here. It's either excessively difficult or I am inept.

Anyway, how do you put someone onto ignore? Does doing this make a persons posts and threads disappear? It seems like doing this could make the General Board a bit lighter.

If you pull up their user name there are a few options such as add to buddy list or to ignore list. You will stil see that they post but not be able to read them.

I have heard that some people report those that have harassed them to the mods. That person is warned then banned.

Thank you.

Is it like Facebook? Would it block them from seeing me too?

No, unfortunately. I've put quite a few people on the GB on ig. It does prevent me from viewing misogynist and racist thread titles, which is nice.

The easiest way is to click on their name on one of their posts. The from the list of things you can do select Ignore. That will take you to another page, where you will have to click submit for the ignore to take effect.

Once they are on ignore you will not see any threads they have started, nor will you see any posts the make in others threads. You will however see that they made a post in others threads, just not what they said.

I also believe they will no longer be able to send you PM's.

I have never used the ignore feature on the site. I just ignore the posts and posters I don't want to pay attention to. It has worked for me so far.

I haven't done it yet. I do see some value in it though as some of the threads are just hateful. It seems a small amount so I'm waiting.

Miles Long, that seems a good plan. :)

I am getting a ridiculous amount of personal messages from men who apparently find my profile fascinating (not much there) or want to send gifs or invite me to role play. It's rather odd but I also think these are one and done and not likely to send more. I hope.

I have heard that some people report those that have harassed them to the mods. That person is warned then banned.

I think you were misinformed, usually complaints are answered with "That's what ignore is for."

Doesn't matter that cyber bullying and stalking are now enforceable crimes, its all fun and games here:rolleyes:

As this is the how to do things board, how about how are people posting even though it says they are offline? Is there an offline mode?

I haven't done it yet. I do see some value in it though as some of the threads are just hateful. It seems a small amount so I'm waiting.

Miles Long, that seems a good plan. :)

I am getting a ridiculous amount of personal messages from men who apparently find my profile fascinating (not much there) or want to send gifs or invite me to role play. It's rather odd but I also think these are one and done and not likely to send more. I hope.
Yep, that's the downside of the 'anything goes as long as it doesn't violate our rules' General Board. Occasionally the GB gets a flood of threads from white supremacist alts, and those comprise about 90% of my ignore list. Those who repeatedly send me vulgar/disrespectful PMs, flood the first page with idiotic threads frequently, and post vile images or words that I can't mentally ignore make up the other 10%. Other than that, I just try to ignore annoying posters mentally. Eyer certainly falls in that category (I see it posted its current vendetta in your GB thread).

Changing your status to Invisible should really cut down on the number of unsolicited PMs you're getting. There are a lot of men who join, have no/very few posts and spend their time here cruising the 'Who's Online?' list for female-sounding names to send their creepy, unsolicited PMs to. :rolleyes: The rest of the creepy unsolicited PMs typically come from guys who troll threads for women because they've gotten wise to the Invisible trick and/or think they can get a leg up on the competition by saying they like what you post/your profile.

I think you were misinformed, usually complaints are answered with "That's what ignore is for."

Doesn't matter that cyber bullying and stalking are now enforceable crimes, its all fun and games here:rolleyes:
It seems like that's usually the [very appropriate, IMO] response, but I'm sure L. takes it on a case-by-case basis and will take further action when there's a credible threat to a member's safety/life.

I think there's a big difference between cyberbullying and stalking, even though they're both terrible acts. We're adults (vs. often hormonal and/or more impressionable kids), and if someone is bullying us here, we can easily iggy them, leave the site, change our usernames, etc. Getting away from a stalker usually isn't as easy, plus stalking is more likely to have a RL component and escalate to the point of threatening the victim's safety.

I trust you all can see why a poster would be put on ignore--not that I can see, because I can't, thank god, see what the pest posted. ;)

i don't have anything to contribute, just wanted to say that your username is awesome, brooke. :>

ed

There had only been one person who irritated me here so far. I have never used the ignore feature, I jut choose who I wish to communicate with. There are a lot of good people on lit. The random PMs probably will never stop. You're a female (presumably) on an adult forum. It's easy to delete those and most of them will not try again. At least not right away. Good luck

Yep, that's the downside of the 'anything goes as long as it doesn't violate our rules' General Board. Occasionally the GB gets a flood of threads from white supremacist alts, and those comprise about 90% of my ignore list. Those who repeatedly send me vulgar/disrespectful PMs, flood the first page with idiotic threads frequently, and post vile images or words that I can't mentally ignore make up the other 10%. Other than that, I just try to ignore annoying posters mentally. Eyer certainly falls in that category (I see it posted its current vendetta in your GB thread).

Changing your status to Invisible should really cut down on the number of unsolicited PMs you're getting. There are a lot of men who join, have no/very few posts and spend their time here cruising the 'Who's Online?' list for female-sounding names to send their creepy, unsolicited PMs to. :rolleyes: The rest of the creepy unsolicited PMs typically come from guys who troll threads for women because they've gotten wise to the Invisible trick and/or think they can get a leg up on the competition by saying they like what you post/your profile.

It seems like that's usually the [very appropriate, IMO] response, but I'm sure L. takes it on a case-by-case basis and will take further action when there's a credible threat to a member's safety/life.

I think there's a big difference between cyberbullying and stalking, even though they're both terrible acts. We're adults (vs. often hormonal and/or more impressionable kids), and if someone is bullying us here, we can easily iggy them, leave the site, change our usernames, etc. Getting away from a stalker usually isn't as easy, plus stalking is more likely to have a RL component and escalate to the point of threatening the victim's safety.

The creation of alts takes away some of the effect of ignore. As for case by case...

Anyone here familiar with either scouries or eyer will question what exactly a case would have to be for the "hammer" there is verbal sparring in threads and occasional nasty pm's but many here have gone far beyond that and even taken it to personal levels off of lit.

Back