How much of *yourself* do you inject into your characters? (a 1st person perspective question)

BgDaddy33

Really Experienced
In my story, Keeping Her Job, I tried to be mindful to keep the protagonist vague on purpose. I avoided talking about his looks, attributes, and only vaguely mentioned age. My reasoning was that any male reader (or any fantasizing reader for that matter?) would be able to inject themselves into the story easier if I didn't add to many self-descriptions. I remembered reading somewhere that the gross popularity of the Twilight series (I know, I know... we don't have to go into sparkly vampires... lol) was the blank slate of the main character Bella, so that a reader could easily slip into her role and daydream of vampires.

I am brainstorming a new piece and I am now wondering if that was a good way to go or if I should just flesh out the central character, and because we all fantasize, the next question that swirled in my mind was how often do you inject yourself into your stories for the sheer fun of it? Either on the receiving on the giving end. A guilty pleasure perhaps?

Last edited:
I probably put way more of me into my main character of John Peters than I realize. But then, heā€™s the stand-in for me that gets to have all of these amazing experiences that I am not having (admittedly some of them are pretty much impossible as it is).

My characters are often suave, good-looking, and great in bed. Nothing of me in them.

Actually, I often find myself writing female characters, or else "unformed" narrators whose experience is more important than their character. But I'm closer to the narrator in "Flesh for Fantasy" than in "Love at First Sight". At least I hope so.

My first-person male narrator always seems to be named Sam. So yeah. A bit. He's younger than me, but otherwise...

I generally write these to explore my own fantasies, and the fantasy is that it's happening to me. But the hope is, if my readers want to put themselves into the fantasy, the writing shouldn't get in the way. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I write other, non-erotic stuff, and there's generally not a Sam to be found, and there I explore different sorts of perspectives. But that's a whole different thing.

In my story, Keeping Her Job, I tried to be mindful to keep the protagonist vague on purpose. I avoided talking about looks, attributes, and only vaguely mentioned age. My reasoning was that any male reader (or any fantasizing reader for that matter?) would be able to inject themselves into the story easier if I didn't add to many self-descriptions. I remembered reading somewhere that the gross popularity of the Twilight series (I know, I know... we don't have to go into sparkly vampires... lol) was the blank slate of the main character Bella, so that a reader could easily slip into her role and daydream of vampires.

I am brainstorming a new piece and I am now wondering if that was a good way to go or if I should just flesh out the central character, and because we all fantasize, the next question that swirled in my mind was how often do you inject yourself into your stories for the sheer fun of it? Either on the receiving on the giving end. A guilty pleasure perhaps?
Oh, is that why. I just thought she was a crap actor.

Writers are often inclined to include far too many details of their characters, as though we'd never seen a naked body before 'Below her undulating soft breasts lay her tummy button, like an oasis in a desert of bronzed flesh' Well fuck me, sounds like this must be the female of the human species or does she have grey tentacles hanging from her lullava orifice?

If you were the first person character would you introduce yourself to others as 'Hi, I'm Angie with tumbling auburn hair and size 34D breasts revealed by the straining V of buttons in my checked blouse.' ? Then don't tell it that way.

My protags are chips off the block, sometimes saying things for me or giving a voice to people who are misunderstood or overlooked. It's the only way I know how to write convincing characters.

Above all, tell it your way. Write for yourself :)

I probably put way more of me into my main character of John Peters than I realize. But then, heā€™s the stand-in for me that gets to have all of these amazing experiences that I am not having (admittedly some of them are pretty much impossible as it is).
I can vouch that most of my story brainstorms begin as "what if" scenarios that snowball.. so yeah, I totally get that.

I generally write these to explore my own fantasies, and the fantasy is that it's happening to me. But the hope is, if my readers want to put themselves into the fantasy
The best stories (for me...) put me in the action, or put me in the room to "see" the action.

If the writer suddenly starts expounding about his enormous elephant dong I roll my eyes and back out of the story.

Whose story am I telling?

If it's 1st person semi-autobiographical, I'm threading myself throughout the narrative. Nothing wrong with vanity projects when you are realistic about what you are writing and key motivators for why.

If it's 1st person for intimacy's sake, there's no requirement to inject myself into it, beyond what we do naturally as writers. If anything I'm more active in trying to keep a distance b/c 1st person is so much easier to tumble yourself into, steamrolling your characters, when you aren't careful.

Whose story am I telling?

If it's 1st person semi-autobiographical, I'm threading myself throughout the narrative. Nothing wrong with vanity projects when you are realistic about what you are writing and key motivators for why.

If it's 1st person for intimacy's sake, there's no requirement to inject myself into it, beyond what we do naturally as writers. If anything I'm more active in trying to keep a distance b/c 1st person is so much easier to tumble yourself into, steamrolling your characters, when you aren't careful.
Curious in how many became inadvertently semi-autobiographical, at least in the fantasy sense.

It's going to be our "voice" most of the time right? I was curious if that was the case. Perhaps some writers purposefully create new characters to step into for the sake of a story, that sounds fun too.

Last edited:
All my characters are echoes of my imagination in various ways. When theyā€™re based on other people besides me, I modify them slightly.

Got through the Twilight films and books. Neither lived up to the hype imo. Unless you mean the negative hype.

I am me in my 1P stories. Well... maybe 25 years younger, a lot wiser, more at peace with myself and the world, and a gentle, considerate and generous lover who makes sure that my partners are happy and sated every time. IOW, the person I wish I was.

Curious in how many became inadvertently semi-autobiographical, at least in the fantasy sense.
I don't think even authors have a true gauge of it. Maybe the ones who really lean in are closest but we all have blind spots when going about just being ourselves like that's equivalent to everybody else.
It's going to be our "voice" most of the time right?
Mostly unavoidable for sure. But there are usually swaths of ourselves we don't express often or even recognize without deep diving (like through writing) so you are *technically* still you but way off the beaten path.
Perhaps some writers purposefully create new characters to step into for the sake of a story, that sounds fun too.
Stretching has benefits. Even pretty much fails help you solidify your boundaries and reenforce what does/doesn't work for you. Worth a try at least every now and again.

I don't think it helps the reader to identify with the MC by leaving out details. I'm not sure how much I identify with MCs. It shifts back and forth. But then my favorite genres feature male MCs, an I'm female. So you can see how details don't get in the way for me.

I don't think it helps the reader to identify with the MC by leaving out details. I'm not sure how much I identify with MCs. It shifts back and forth. But then my favorite genres feature male MCs, an I'm female. So you can see how details don't get in the way for me.
Fair enough! :)

I am recalling how often I read self descriptions in stories, they usually feel formulaic, the better ones are usually humble about it at least but I think the best ones just leave much of it out. However, I was wondering how much can safely slip in without detracting from the fantasy. Say the 1st person character is with another and the other comments, "You're looking good!" might be safe versus, "When did you go blonde?"

Last edited:
For first person MMC I keep it vague. If a man is actively thinking about his looks, I would want it intentional, either insecure or vain. If ladies are paying attention, he must be good enough.

I think the key for physical attributes is how does it affect the character's psyche.

I don't write much detail into any of my characters. My intention is to start the reader painting his or her own picture of the characters. Usually I'll mention height if there's a reason for either character to know that. Otherwise I'll just write tall, about average height or short. Weight is usually just slender, mature, or heavy. I'll mention hair color for women, not so much for men.

About the only real detail I'll go into is describing some injury or deformity a character has. I think that's necessary for both the readers "picture" and for the plot.

Fair enough! :)

I am recalling how often I read self descriptions in stories, they usually feel formulaic, the better ones are usually humble about it at least but I think the best ones just leave much of it out. However, I was wondering how much can safely slip in without detracting from the fantasy. Say the 1st person character is with another and the other comments, "You're looking good!" might be safe versus, "When did you go blonde?"
That would be irrelevant for me.

I don't do "self-discriptions" beyond pleasant-looking middle-aged executive type that could stand to lose a pound or two. I'm no longer "middle-aged" but that would've been accurate for me when I was younger.

If my main character is female then I tend to give her my physical attributes. I guess it helps me visualise scenes and activities. Her orgasms would normally be similar to mine too - pretty loud and body shaking. To be honest, I'd have a hard time describing a character that merely whimpered. Male characters I normally base loosely on my husband.

I don't see how narrative perspective influences whether or not (or the degree to which) you self-insert.

Hell, there's parts of me in both male and female characters I've written, first or third. Sometimes just a bit, sometimes quite a lot.

As for physical descriptions.... *yawn*.... pass.

Back