How many votes do you get?

Altissimus

Irreverently Piquant
Comparing numbers of reads to numbers of votes, what sort of ratios do you get?

For example if I divide the number of reads for a particular story over the number of votes for that same story, I end up with a range of 300-500 for my stories - I.e. Between 300-500 reads for every vote I get. (Granted, these were much older stories).

How does this compare to you?

For my last six stories, posted within the last month: 168, 240, 153, 80, 46, 69.

Comparing numbers of reads to numbers of votes, what sort of ratios do you get?

For example if I divide the number of reads for a particular story over the number of votes for that same story, I end up with a range of 300-500 for my stories - I.e. Between 300-500 reads for every vote I get. (Granted, these were much older stories).

How does this compare to you?

If I post an incest story, I received hundreds of votes, sometimes a couple of thousand. My I Love You, Mommy has over 4,000 votes.

There are many writers with many more votes than that.

Incest is the big draw here. Yet, most people 95 out of 100 readers who open your story, don't vote.

I receive more e-mails than I do votes. The first two days that I post an incest story, I receive 200 to 300 votes and I answer everyone of them as long as they're not mean, nasty, and don't include a photo of their cock (lol).

Two of my tales have 49,000 reads. One has 500 votes. I get few votes, fewer comments, and almost zero emails. I have one red H, and one green E for 100+ stories.

I will likely submit one more story, a long one, about a college student convicted of murder who spends 40+ years in state prison, and is released, dying of cancer, to assassinate cop killers and liberal judges. Law enforcement looks the other way. He lives well as he moves towards death. America's criminal interests are outraged and recruit Federal assets to kill the assassin.

Not that the last two posts responded to the question asked. :rolleyes:

Reads to Votes: (Reads / Votes)

Erotic Couplings 187 to 1
Incest/Taboo 220 to 1
Loving Wives 375 to 1
Sci-Fi/Fantasy 49 to 1

Thing is it depends on category. Totals high for one category would be low for others.

Also how long you have been here and what you have for a following can matter. The numbers I was thrilled with in my first year here would be low to me now because of five years of building a fan base.

The old standard was 1 vote per hundred views.

With the increase in readers, I would think it has increased but for a first time writer it is a good starting point.

With my fan base, mine usually goes to between 20 and 30 per hundred.

Mine range between 50 and 230 views per vote.

The '50' is the final chapter in a series, and it has more votes than some of the earlier chapters - looks like some people skipped voting on intermediate chapters and saved their vote to the end. (And probably the people who made it to the end of Chapter 14 are more invested in it and more likely to vote.)

The '230s': one long story in Erotic Horror (probably a lot of people who started reading and decided it wasn't their thing, so didn't vote?) and one short horror poem in Text With Audio. May have been some "not what I expected, not gonna vote" there too, or they may have needed a lie down and a cigarette after Kingswoman's reading :)

It varies - anywhere between one vote for every 20 or so reads to one vote for every 550 reads. Go figure. :)

Again, a lot depends on the category I post in. Some have lots of views and not many votes, barely 100 reads to one vote, but garnered a great deal of faving me and my stories.
My latest seems to be in a category where more readers tend to vote on what they read. In all I would say I average 100 reads and 2 votes or better. I'm not sure what makes a reader decide to vote, but I pay little attention to scores anyway.

I'd have to do a considerable amount of calculation to work it out.

At a rough glance at over 200 stories, my average ratio appears to be 1 to 500 but some are much worse than that.

Too much math in this thread.

339 - 15126

271 - 20519

126 - 11195

513 - 13968

For example

Last edited:
I have few stories, so it's easy to calculate:

From oldest to newest (all were posted this year):

1:153 (Romance)
1:134 (Interracial)
1:259 (Nonconsent)
1:102 (Erotic Couplings)

I formerly ran a spreadsheet to tabulate my stats. Now I do not give one shit. I have not looked at my numbers for quite some time. When I resume publishing I will not bother. I will be amused by comments but otherwise, feh.

Randomly looking to see . . .

1:222 for an exhibition story
1:233 for Fetish and a story that earned a W
1:231 for Fetish and a story that was a contest winner
1:199 for my FAWC story
1:135 for an Incest story
1:134 for another incest story
1:98 for another incest story that didn't place
1:73 for another incest story (apparently incest has a higher voting ratio)
1:177 for my favorite Fetish story (My favorite, not necessarily the fans' favorite)

Based on that rough bit of math - incest earns many more votes per read than Fetish.

I average about 1% votes to views, most hovering around the 1% mark, but a few very low and one...the summer lovin entry, sitting at 3.76%.

That 20-30 per hundred that Txrad gets is pretty damned impressive.

All 51 of mine are in gay male which means they cover everything from first time to romance to incest since it is a trump category. That also creates a wide range in voting.

My one-off stories range from 0.5 to 1.6 votes per hundred views (romance, incest, and bisexual themes draw votes well above "just strokers")

My multi-chapter series range from 1.1 to 1.6 votes per hundred views (all of them are romance-centric which seems to always do well at getting readers to vote.)

I've seen stories hit 3.0+ per hundred the first 30 days they are up, but as time goes by, it seems older stories do get a respectable number of views but not as many votes per view. The exceptions are the ones in the HOF, but even they drop down as they age as far as votes per hundred views.

I've just checked a couple of mine at random:

1 vote for 516 views; 1 votes for 810 views...

Mine:

1:160 EC
1:78 Romance
1:429 BDSM (W)
1:265 BDSM (2)
1:274 BDSM (3)
1:233 BDSM (4)
1:148 EC (1)
1:116 EC (2)
1:75 Romance (3)
1:242 Group Sex (W)
1:150 H/S

(numbers in brackets are chapters)

What really stands out from my admittedly-small sample is the Romance ratio is by far the best.

Seems like the 'favorited your story' or 'added to [reader's] favorite authors list.' activities don't relate to views, votes or ratings.

Seems like the 'favorited your story' or 'added to [reader's] favorite authors list.' activities don't relate to views, votes or ratings.

Story favouriting is also just bookmarking for some people - they'll remove the favourite after.

I did another quick scan through my list.

I think one of my Shelacta series has my record at a ratio of 1 vote for 3500 views (and only 3 votes in total!).

each of my stories has got about 100 votes and about 15,000 views. so, one vote for every 150 views. i'm quite happy with that. i think it is true that if you're a particularly good author or one who's built up a fanbase you can probably expect more. :rose:

Back