How hot is it?

Angeline

Poet Chick
It was 98° (F) today in my town in central New Jersey, but that is chilly compared to the Pacific Northwest, where they have been in a dangerous heat wave. One of my kids lives in Oregon now and gives me numerous daily weather reports. It was 118° there today. :eek:

Just wanted you PNW poets to know I'm thinking of you and hoping you and yours are keeping cool as possible. My kiddo says it'll be in the "bearable" 90s tomorrow. Yikes.

Wish I had a snowball to throw at y'all!

It was 98° (F) today in my town in central New Jersey, but that is chilly compared to the Pacific Northwest, where they have been in a dangerous heat wave. One of my kids lives in Oregon now and gives me numerous daily weather reports. It was 118° there today. :eek:

Just wanted you PNW poets to know I'm thinking of you and hoping you and yours are keeping cool as possible. My kiddo says it'll be in the "bearable" 90s tomorrow. Yikes.

Wish I had a snowball to throw at y'all!
It was 108° F in Seattle today, the third straight day of all-time record highs. I've lived in the Seattle area virtually my entire life and it's only been triple digit temperatures twice in the previous 68 years. Plus, like most people in Seattle, we don't have air conditioning--just fans. So, yeah. It's been hot.

After toughing it out in the bedroom the last two nights (up to 99° or so), we're sleeping in the basement tonight, where it's a bearable 82° right now.

My Scandinavian genes are melting. :rolleyes:

That's probably my favorite Weather Report cut, by the way. At least one of them.

overseas

My arctic greetings from
where cold-hearted Lady Summer
teased most of day with luke-warm glances
compressed in her grey tight 26C
she must have been thinking all day long
coming your way
sucking you dry
till the very last drop
cause under her cloudy cover
with no hot pants
she's dripping wet
with her sweet sweat

My arctic greetings from
where cold-hearted Lady Summer
teased most of day with luke-warm glances
compressed in her grey tight 26C
she must have been thinking all day long
coming your way
sucking you dry
till the very last drop
cause under her cloudy cover
with no hot pants
she's dripping wet
with her sweet sweat

Here in Jersey, Miss June is a busty 35C
as in bust out the air con, ice down
my diet Coke and 86 that blankety blank
humidity. Anyone who sez climate
change is *not* a thing best be ready
to kiss June's sweet oscillating fanny.
Oh October we cry out to thee:
please keep the chill in Halloween!

It was 108° F in Seattle today, the third straight day of all-time record highs. I've lived in the Seattle area virtually my entire life and it's only been triple digit temperatures twice in the previous 68 years. Plus, like most people in Seattle, we don't have air conditioning--just fans. So, yeah. It's been hot.

After toughing it out in the bedroom the last two nights (up to 99° or so), we're sleeping in the basement tonight, where it's a bearable 82° right now.

My Scandinavian genes are melting. :rolleyes:

That's probably my favorite Weather Report cut, by the way. At least one of them.

Sounds like it's cooler in your part of the world today, thank goodness. My daughter says 95 feels refreshing! Her pro tip btw is soak and freeze bandanas and wear them round the neck. She said it helped a lot.

Birdland is my favorite Weather Report song, and I particularly love that clip I shared. Jaco, that crazy genius, is delightful in it. :)

cooler today, only showing up around 80 during the downpours

the past few days we were to expect anything from 87 to 92, but the outside thermo consistently read around 100 for 4 days, yesterday hitting 104 and with high humidity rates :(
even when it's in the shade it was still reading a good 10 degrees above the weather-now notifications, so either we're in some micro-pocket or i don't know. staying inside most the time, shades down, fans and air on... when i have to go outside it's good to wear something wet or a wet towel around the neck.

It's cooler here than it's been for a week but it's still mid-twenties Celsius. We're on the coast but Lytton, inland, broke all kinds of records with Death Valley level temps. Unheard of in Canada let alone B.C.

Perhaps now The Powers That Be will take notice, stop subsidizing oil, invest heavily in wind and solar power, and start logging sustainably.

It's cooler here than it's been for a week but it's still mid-twenties Celsius. We're on the coast but Lytton, inland, broke all kinds of records with Death Valley level temps. Unheard of in Canada let alone B.C.

Perhaps now The Powers That Be will take notice, stop subsidizing oil, invest heavily in wind and solar power, and start logging sustainably.

God I hope so! It was 98° F here today and they're calling for flash floods tomorrow. And with hurricane season commencing I'm worried about the Gulf Coast and the Caribbean. :(

I agree that it's a blissful set. I especially like Joni's take on Mingus' Goodbye Pork Pie Hat. I'm a big Lester Young fan. :)

Glad you enjoyed! I seek that out every couple years to watch it again (and again, and again).

Not too bad here in S. Ontario. There were Heat Advisories last week (> 32 C) but then we had several days of rain and thunderstorms (yes advisories on them too). Looks like we'll have good weather for Canada Day. I put out the flag this morning despite grave reservations with respect to our history and present treatment of the First Nations.

Too Darn Hot Holly Cole (Canadian)

These climate changes are scared me. I want to convey to people the necessity of keeping nature as clean as possible. I recently read an informative post about the problem of air pollution for my education task. It's one of the factors of anomaly temperature changes in the world. I hope all of us will understand it and stop using gasoline vehicles in the future, at least.

Last edited:
These climate changes are scared me. I want to convey to people the necessity of keeping nature as clean as possible. I recently read an informative post about the problem of air pollution for my education task. It's one of the factors of anomaly temperature changes in the world. I hope all of us will understand it and stop using gasoline vehicles in the future, at least.
I would relocate to a less hot part of the world. Maybe Europe, Idk...

I would relocate to a less hot part of the world. Maybe Europe, Idk...
Today there is a bit of relief in GB, they've had the highest temps on record and very few folks have AC because it usually isn't needed.

Across Europe, thousands of people have died, either from the heat or in wildfires. I think it's too late to turn the tide but we should still be trying.

we're under a heat advisory till thursday night at least, with the 'feels like' at 109

indoors and still sweating

Back