How does your garden grow?

What a shame - yes, pigeons take most of our cherries, too. Elderberries are indeed fine, but I confess to a preference for the wonderful elderflower - steeped to make cordial or fermented to make wine, they have such an aetherial scent.

My mother made elder flower wine every summer, very like sweet fizzy lemonade. I can remember the large bowls with the flowers floating for days. Not realizing it was alcoholic she served at my sisters 16th birthday party with interesting results.

My mother made elder flower wine every summer, very like sweet fizzy lemonade. I can remember the large bowls with the flowers floating for days. Not realizing it was alcoholic she served at my sisters 16th birthday party with interesting results.

I tried making elderflower cordial each of the last two summers (I live in the upper midwest of the US)... I was very, very careful about harvesting only the flowers (no stems) and harvesting the flower when they were at the peak, but it just was not very flavorful. I think the wild elderflowers growing on our land are not very good for this purpose, sadly.

I am pleased to report I do have rhubarb coming up, along with daffodils and tulips and chives. No sign of asparagus yet...

a bit like this :)

right now the bluebells are all starting to open since i took these, but there's an some ornamental fruit, a stump of a wild pear still throwing out white blossom with a few tall white snowdrops scattered at its feet in amongst the ground cover, yellow holly flowers, some violets, orange cotoneaster berries, masses of different greens and golds - soon, under the trees it'll be a mass of pink flowers, closer to the pear more bluebells and periwinkle, later with the pinks there'll be rose of sharon, and a honeysuckle and mock orange tucked in there too.

Ah, to be in England now that spring is here.

Oh rhubarb! I wish we had room, it was tradition to grow rhubarb by the compost heap. Never grew asparagus but love, love, love it.

They are indeed.

I got rid of the "classic" rhubarbs years ago, and only grow the smaller version (called "wine rhubarb" around here) They stay nice and edible all summer.

They serve a triple purpose: Tasty, nice looking and they keep the weeds down.

Harvested the last of the Winter broccoli, the spinach is almost done, too.

Started harvesting blueberries, and the iceberg lettuce is close to ready. Planted the original Great Lakes variety this time, its heat tolerant.

Set out tomatoes and peanuts, and the sweet onions look good.

The peaches are fuzzy balls about the size of marbles.

The red and russet potatoes look healthy.

I havent started plating yet. Still a bit too cold at night. Ill probably start my little greenhouse thing sometime this weekend. This year I plan on planting green beans, lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, spinach, radishes, and summer squash. Might do some zucchini and cukes too. Ill have some herbs growing in pots on the porch as well.

Not sure what Im gonna do for flowers yet. Thats more of a front of the house thing. Ill let the wife take care of that.

Im not gonna grow much from seeds this year. The farmers market opens in a few weeks and Ill just buy most of my plants from them. Its much easer.

Back