How women read erotic fiction - a simple experiment

william__

Virgin
This is intended for girls, in all honesty simply because I've always had something of a 'thing' for cute women who read books, and look all the prettier just by doing so. (By which I mean any books. But the idea of you all reading sexy books is really something else.)

So the challenge is quite easy - and hopefully fun! You will need:

- a printer
- some paper (preferably with a textured feel and heavier gsm, to replicate the feel of a book, perhaps off white or cream? What might work well is some paper from a quarto-sized writing pad)

1) Choose a story from Lit that you already really like (or a story you've not read yet by an author you really like)
2) Print it out. You may need to paste it into a word processor first, indeed I'd recommend that, because it will avoid printing the usual headers/footers which make it look like a webpage, the aim is for minimum distraction. (Why not also take the trouble to correct any annoying spelling mistakes and add the author's name to respect their copyright?) If you're printing on A4, try landscape and with two column format, so it is "bookish".
3) Plan a relaxing scenario to read in. e.g. bath-time, bedroom, subdued lighting, in the dark with a torch, on the beach, your commute, coffee shop, hotel room etc. Try and minimise distractions (phone off/muted).
4) Read it, and try and be mindful about how you feel as you do.
5) Report back here (or privately to me if you like) on how you get on.

You don't have to say what you read, feel free to keep it private. It might be interesting to know how long the story was or if it was quite intense or more of a slow build.

What is the point of all this? Well, there's been loads written on the differences between reading on screens (and of different sizes), ereaders (Kindle/Kobo etc) and print (hardback and paper) and how they affect immersion, retention, stress levels, happiness. It's complex and I have lengthy, nuanced views I can bore you with on request. But I've not seen much said about it for erotic fiction, where your mind is in a different state, and for which so much is digital only.

I'm quite interested in how the medium you're reading on influences your enjoyment. Does holding the paper immerse you more / feel nice? (hence my suggestion to use something other than standard office paper). Does it alter your reading speed, do you enjoy being able to skip back and forth between paragraphs much faster with your eyes and hands? Is it nice not having to scroll or use a mouse?

Might being able to grab the pages from a drawer or handbag and look and them instantly be welcome when you you are turned on?

Does making it more of an 'event' make the story more intense for you at all?

Equally, I'm kind of interested if, right now, women are reading much erotic fiction in public settings (because you find it daring) or you avoid this because it's impossible for you to have the privacy to do anything else you might wish to at the same time. (And some mobile/public wifi networks block adult sites, of course).

I hope one or two of you have a chance to try it out and enjoy doing so.

William

Last edited:
Damn. Why do all the cute girls get the good stuff.

I'm fugly but I count to. šŸ˜”

I read smut on my phone. I don't want to wrestle with a sheaf of loose papers when I'm taking care of business.

My opinion would change if smut regularly included citations. Checking cites in a digital work is a pain in the ass.

No need for an art project to comment on this. I have a couple of novels of a decidedly adult nature that I've read multiple times.

In my experience, there isn't much to be gained by having a physical book in your hand rather than a phone. They always need at least one hand to keep them open and it's troublesome to skip forwards and backwards fast. Of course it helps once you've read them often enough (or bought them used..) so the book just naturally opens at the most juicy sections :)
Nothing that can't be easily achieved with electronic bookmarks though.

As for a public setting? I'd pick the phone every time. That way there isn't any inconvenient cover to give away what you're actually smiling about..

Last edited:
Back