How do you keep your underage kids away from your writings?

Fingerprint-locked phone, no you can't borrow my phone to look up xyz. No, you never get to touch my phone.

Some editing on my computer, either with the door locked or just prepared to lock screen. I have to have rules for my work from home to ensure they never see anything on my work computer screen, so it's not really a problem.

If both spouse and I die in a sudden accident, I can't imagine the contents of drawers and computers will make it that much worse, though I have a friend who would come to clear out certain bedroom items.

Jeez, I hadn't even thought about it. I was wondering why they'd been giving dad the side-eye lately.

Seriously, they're all grown up and out of the house, so it's not an issue.

Separate account on my laptop and separate email account. I do keep the passwords in my password manager, but nobody else knows my master password. I do sometimes make notes on my phone, but I don't share the password and I delete those after I move them to my laptop.

It probably says something unfortunate about our society that I need this level of secrecy in order to fantasize about loving, monogamous couples doing consensual things in the privacy of their own homes.

Fingerprint-locked phone, no you can't borrow my phone to look up xyz. No, you never get to touch my phone.

Some editing on my computer, either with the door locked or just prepared to lock screen. I have to have rules for my work from home to ensure they never see anything on my work computer screen, so it's not really a problem.

If both spouse and I die in a sudden accident, I can't imagine the contents of drawers and computers will make it that much worse, though I have a friend who would come to clear out certain bedroom items.
Jokes aside, yes, unexpectedly dying like that is the more worrisome consideration. I keep my own computer and phone. But the BDSM toys that are in certain private locations...

But the BDSM toys that are in certain private locations...
The coroner will find them, have no fear.

melanie-laurent-oh-okay.gif

My kids are 45 and 49 and they know I did some writing. After I'm gone, it won't matter if they find the stories. So I don't bother hiding them on the computer.

It probably says something unfortunate about our society that I need this level of secrecy in order to fantasize about loving, monogamous couples doing consensual things in the privacy of their own homes.
I'm confused. I love your writing, but I wouldn't want any impressionable child reading "A Hood For Her Faceless Meat Dildo."

I don't think the secrecy is unfortunate at all, for the same reason that I don't have sex in front of my child.

I thought we all collectively agreed that the plural was "MILVES"

🤣
I guess we have a whole other subgroup to worry about now:

Smut writing MILVES.

Or the sub-subgroup:

Smut writing MILVES with privacy problems.
EDIT: "Smut writing MILVES exposed" is probably better.

Last edited:
I only write on onedrive.live.com which is a Microsoft cloud account. Password protected, even if 'someone' was borrowing my laptop. I had the bad luck of losing two or more of my older stories when my computer crashed. Surprisingly I had them backed on the small floppy disks. I eventually replaced the computer, but it didn't have a floppy disk drive. I now have younger grandchildren and don't write when they're in the vicinity.
I bought the MS Office Suite package when I signed onto the MS cloud account. It was a very reasonable one time purchase that included Excel, Powerpoint, Word, and well the entire office software package. I was still doing some consulting and contract engineering at the time, and I used all three of those for my job, and pretty sure I deducted the $140 from my taxes.

I do it one of a couple ways:
1) If composing in Word, I save automatically to a Dropbox account and delete on the computer before logging off.
2) I compose as an email from my private yahoo account to my private gmail account, then when I add to the story or edit/revise, I email it back to my yahoo account. When I am ready to upload to Lit or somewhere else, I cut and paste from the email into a Word doc. After I upload the doc, I simply delete everything in the Word doc, so it is a blank document and delete it from the computer.

I don’t have kids at home, but I do all this in case I get hit by a bus. I don’t want sketchy files on my computer. Plus, my wife often uses my computer (not that she is in the habit of scanning my Word files and she knows MOST of my kinks, but why rock the boat?)

Last edited:
Was I supposed to worry about this? I write in drafts in my Gmail, mostly. Kid shouldn't be poking around in there, and why would they want to? But if they did, I guess they could see something. Just like if they happened to flip through the copy of Dhalgren on the shelf. Actually I got that copy of Dhalgren from my grandma's SF shelf 30 years earlier after flipping through it as a teen myself. Along with Dune. May have contributed to what I'm doing now.

WARNING: I/T x NC/R double whammy:

Perfect proper mom writes smut.
Husband is clueless, most of the children are clueless, fellow PTA moms are clueless.
But oldest son suspects something nefarious is afoot in mom's long dark nights in front of the computer.
One day, he hacks her computer and finds out she writes smut. The most sordid sort of smut.
She seems to like it every which way, rough, and against her will. He finds it hot.
He knows that mom would be devastated if her perfect proper facade came crumbling down.
So an idea forms in his mind...

Last edited:
"Mommy, why did that one lady pee-pee on that other lady's face?"
‘Under-aged kids’? I’d be more worried about my grey-haired spawn finding them. The cognitive short-circuit would cause seismic ripples. 🫢😳😵‍💫

The adult offspring: "Mother, why did you create a scenario where a villainous man abuses two mind controlled women to serve his every sexual need, up to and including psychological torture?"

"Well child, the story is a dark, erotic horror which highlights the depths of human depravity and sadism. James is a contemptable villain, and you are supposed to be repulsed by his actions. I needed to show the horrors that humans are capable of if given complete control over another. As the saying goes: "Homo homini lupus"

"I understand... but why did you feature a woman squirting on another woman's face?"

"THAT WAS AN ACCIDENT!!! DON'T READ THAT!!!"

Nothing is as terrifying as the thought of one's parents bumping uglies.
Fortunately, I don't have to worry about such things.

My parents gave me "the talk," so I understand that I was found in a cabbage patch when I was a baby. I understand that most humans are the result of parental sex; I'm just relieved that it isn't the case for me.

-whew-

WARNING: I/T crossed with NC/R:

Perfect proper mom writes smut.
Husband is clueless, most of the children are clueless, fellow PTA moms are clueless.
But oldest son suspects something nefarious is afoot in mom's long dark nights in front of the computer.
One day, he hacks her computer and finds out she writes smut. The most sordid sort of smut.
She seems to like it every which way and she seems to like it rough. He finds it hot.
He knows that mom would be devastated if her perfect proper facade came crumbling down.
So an idea forms in his mind...
NOPE! NOPE! SOOO MUCH NOPE!!!

Shooo! Go away! I don't wanna hear any more!

-fingers in ears-
Lalalalalala!!!!!

😆

Back