house republicans applaud pence, thank him for his courage... will he have a chance at winning the gop primary for president?

butters

High on a Hill
these were strongly conservative gop members, like chip roy (texas), who 'liked' he came forward to speak to them with a plan for the future. People in the room were encouraging him to run.

will he win enough support from the more 'normal' republicans or will the magats' influence block his bid?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/co...rvatives-praise-pence-courage-jan-6-rcna39120

During a meeting of the Republican Study Committee, the largest caucus of conservatives in Congress, Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, stood up and thanked Pence for his “courage and standing for the Constitution and certifying" President Joe Biden's election win, according to Rep. French Hill, R-Ark., and two other Republicans who attended the meeting.

Roy's comments received "sustained applause" in the room, Hill told NBC News. “I commend Vice President Pence for standing for the Constitution and doing his duty under duress," Hill said.
“Let me just say the vice president is a real moral force. He’s a real true leader and he’s earned the respect of Republicans and other Americans all over this country,” Rep. Andy Barr, R-Ky., told reporters as he left the meeting at the Capitol Hill Club, near the Capitol complex.

I like Mike but don’t think he’s got much of a chance. The Trump faction hates him, and most other GOP voters (myself included) want to move on. A silver haired for vp during the Trump years who is about as charismatic as a bowl of vanilla ice cream probably isn’t what GOP voters are looking for.

DeSantis is the undisputed front runner for those of us seeking a conservative candidate who can appeal to all Republicans in 2024, and who has successful executive experience. He won the slightly red state of Florida in 2018, proving he can compete in that purplish state. It was a very narrow victory but he won. His approval ratings are good and he’s an almost sure bet to win re-election this fall by a much bigger margin.

He has two chances,slim or none.
do you think the wapo turning against trump might help his chances?
would liz cheney run against or support his primary bid?

another murdoch-owned publication, the wall street journal, also came out hard against him after the hearings:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...sedgntp&cvid=6842fb91a6c1423bdb02a775c3e643c3
Trump has shown "not an iota of regret" about what happened on January 6, The Wall Street Journal's editorial board wrote in an editorial titled "The President Who Stood Still on Jan. 6."

"Mr. Trump took an oath to defend the Constitution, and he had a duty as Commander in Chief to protect the Capitol from a mob attacking it in his name. He refused," the editorial said.
"He didn't call the military to send help. He didn't call Mr. Pence [former Vice President Mike Pence] to check on the safety of his loyal VP. Instead he fed the mob's anger and let the riot play out."
"Character is revealed in a crisis, and Mr. Pence passed his Jan. 6 trial," the editorial concluded. "Mr. Trump utterly failed his."

Last edited:
Zero chance. See...the Republican Party is controlled by Fascists. He isn't Fascist.

do you think the wapo turning against trump might help his chances?
would liz cheney run against or support his primary bid?

another murdoch-owned publication, the wall street journal, also came out hard against him after the hearings:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...sedgntp&cvid=6842fb91a6c1423bdb02a775c3e643c3
No,he is too much of a non-entity for the GOP,I think they will back DeSantis until the debates,and I believe he will fail to win the nomination if there is a competent candidate running.
As for Liz Cheney I believe will not support him as he is too much involved with Trump,she is too much of a Republican to run against him.
However she will throw her hat into the ring if Trump runs,and I can see her running as an independent if he gets the nomination.

Trump won’t get the nomination, and he’ll be running as an independent. A new “Christian Nationalist” party is developing.

I have as much chance to be the GOP nominee as Pence does. And I’m a Democrat

Back