Hot to Teach Manners to a Bully

JohnEngelman

Virgin
“The Art of Boxing, By Daniel Mendoza” was probably the first book on how to box.” Daniel Mendoza was the 18th boxing champion of England, from 1792 to 1795. He was a Sephardic Jew who was born in England.

Mendoza revolutionized boxing. Before him boxers stood still and traded punches. Mendoza invented combinations of slipping punches, deflecting them, or blocking them. When Mendoza boxed there were no weight categories. He was five feet seven inches tall, and weighed 160 pounds. He usually fought men who were taller than he was, heavier, and even stronger. He nearly always won.

When Mendoza explained his methods in “The Art of Boxing,” the book sold well, and changed how men boxed in Europe and the United States.
The book consists of five lessons. Each lesson consists of about ten exercises. Each exercise needs to be practiced with a partner until they become automatic. Each exercise is simple. In the excitement of a boxing match or a fist fight complex maneuvers are likely to be forgotten. If the opponent does not behave as expected, things can go wrong.

With protective equipment the exercises can be performed much more safely than when “The Art of Boxing” was first practiced. You and your partner will need boxing helmets that protect the chin and the ears. Many boxing helmets leave the chin and the ears unprotected. You will need sixteen ounce or eighteen ounce sparring gloves. You will need groin protectors, mouth guards, and body protectors that will cover your stomach and kidneys. You will also need a heavy boxing bag, a slant board for sit ups, and a chinning bar. All of this can be bought from Amazon.
This will require a significant investment, but it will cost less than six months of karate instruction. From my experience with karate, I think it will be more useful. For Monday, Wednesday, and Friday practice several of the exercises, do calisthenics, and punch and kick the bag. For Tuesday, Thursday, and perhaps Saturday run two to three miles.

I was picked on by bullies in my early teens. I worked out with weights and took karate lessons. Eventually the bullies left me alone. In retrospect I think the lessons in “The Art of Boxing” would have been more useful. After six months to a year of practicing the lessons in this book you will be able to teach the bullies some manners.

In the fights I watched or participated in as a teenager there was a usually honored taboo against kicking. Nevertheless, if your opponent tries to kick you, it will be a straight legged kick probably with his right leg, to your groin. Block it with a downward swing of your right forearm, or your left forearm if it is a left leg kick, and follow it with a round house kick to your opponent’s kidney. Only, pull the kick before landing it, back off, and warn your opponent that if he kicks again you will not pull the kick. Tell him you do not want to do that because you will do serious damage to him. If he persists, only use a half strength round house kick. That will end the fight. Only use full strength when your life is in danger. It will not be with a school yard tough in a fight behind the football field.

To deliver a roundhouse kick, lift your left or right knee, and kick parallel to the ground with the instep of your foot. You can see how it is done in a book about karate.

When reading this book I was surprised to see that Mendoza did not emphasize the importance of a straight punch to the chin or to the solar plexus. One straight punch to either of those targets, delivered with sufficient focus, and the power you will develop by punching the punching bag, may end the fight. When the book tells you to hit for the face, aim for the chin. When the book tells you to hit for the stomach, aim for the solar plexus. Do not trade punches. You will hurt your opponent at the cost of hurting yourself. You will not end the fight.

Most of Mendoza’s advice consists of avoiding being hit. Follow his advice, while looking for the opportunity to hit the chin or the solar plexus of your opponent. Do not kick unless your opponent tries to kick you.

My dad taught me the number one rule of schoolyard fighting was to always hit for the nose. One, it absolutely hurts like hell, and two, it almost always bleeds. Children for the most part as scared of their own blood. This one simple rule got me through most altercations with bullies. Also, once a bully realizes that you WILL fight them, there usually isn't a second fight. They don't want to risk being humiliated. Having said that, it's a different world today.

I grew up in the 70's and 80's. And as far as schoolyard fighting went, it was just another day at school. You got detention or an afternoon, picking up trash. In our modern times where the school district's insurance companies insist that anyone who fights at school is expelled, it's another matter. My son's schools would expel BOTH parties, regardless of who was the bully and who was defending themselves. Because sometime in the late nineties, a child died during a schoolyard fight and the parents successfully sued the school district for an incredible sum.

Once the insurance companies started making the rules at school, everything changed. It killed me to have to tell my sons that they had to avoid fights. It's great to read and learn, but be careful what you tell/teach a child in school. Handling bullies is another matter in 2022, sadly.

It really pains me that so many people now get through school without ever being held physically accountable for the words that come out of their mouths. They can say whatever they want, to whomever they want, without the chance of having their ass whipped. Everyone should understand that saying the wrong thing could earn you a knuckle sandwich. It's a formative learning moment in a child's life and we grew up respecting each other a little bit more. It's making for some really annoying adults these days, I can tell you.

It is never too late to teach a lesson. Just make sure it is away from the mainstream and no cameras or witnesses.

Back