Help with a few German phrases.

Next: I remember in Berlin in the 60s, the light switches, the on-off knob, instead of flipping up and down, you "turned" the switch to light a ceiling lamp. Is my memory correct?

and asking, when you leave a person at night, you can say "Guten abend." or is it "Have a gut abend"

and asking, when you leave a person at night, you can say "Guten abend." or is it "Have a gut abend"
Well, I think that would be a rather formal way of parting, but yes you could say, "Guten Abend" (note the capitalization of "Abend"). A more colloquial way would be to simply say, "Auf Wiedersehen," or even, "Bis zum nächsten Mal" ('Until next time'), or to explicitly wish the host/hosts good night, "Hab/t noch einen schönen Abend (zusammen)" ('Enjoy the night [together]').

I hope this helps!

How about saying good night to a taxi driver you know...would someone says ,something like... "Nabend Dieter"

Well, as always, there is a multitude of ways to do that. Most probably he would say something like, "Hab noch einen schönen Abend, Dieter," or simply, "Tschüß, Dieter".

In some contexts it could be, but generally speaking it is simply the German equivalent of "goodbye" or "bye" (or even "see you").

Now about the on/off light switches in 1950s Berlin..I recall you turned them rather than switched up or down.

I recall hearing my aunts using the word, "Stimt" (spelling) as though they were asking if it was okay. They would pay a bill with a bit more money than was due, and say "stimt." or if they were unsure of the amount due and pay asking "Stimt"
Can someone clarify that for me?

I recall hearing my aunts using the word, "Stimt" (spelling) as though they were asking if it was okay. They would pay a bill with a bit more money than was due, and say "stimt." or if they were unsure of the amount due and pay asking "Stimt"
Can someone clarify that for me?
Stimmt or stimmt das? in the context of your aunts‘ discourse means is that correct? Stimmt or es stimmt so in the restaurant context means keep the change.

I cannot answer the question about light switches in Berlin as my first trip there was as a young girl in 1986 😂😂

Light switches: Yes, you're right. The old ones are turned, in a circle, like a dial. You can still find them in older buildings.

Like Anastasia said, "stimmt so" in a restaurant while paying your bill means "keep the change".

If you simply want to know if something is actually true or correct, you would ask "stimmt das?".

She's sitting, and he's on his knees on the floor in front of her... She pulls his head to her lap. "Na kumme here"
How to say and spell that correctly?

Sie sitzt und er kniet vor ihr auf dem Boden… Sie zieht seinen Kopf an ihren Schoß. „Na, komm‘ her.“

Lieben Gruss
Mayia

Sie sitzt und er kniet vor ihr auf dem Boden… Sie zieht seinen Kopf an ihren Schoß. „Na, komm‘ her.“
Ja, so würd ich's auch übersetzen. Wobei sich natürlich die Frage stellt:

1) ob sie seinen Kopf an ihren Schoß zieht oder in ihren Schoß... (in der dt. Grammatik kann man/frau diesen Unterschied durchaus ausdrücken..)

2) würde mich interessieren, welches Web-Übersetzungs-Portal:
"Na kumme here"
auf welche Frage ausgespuckt hätte? ;)

Kann deepl.com Umgangssprache? Vieles, das Dearelliot fragt, ist umgangssprachlich. Ich hoffe, dass ich als Muttersprachler wenigstens da noch einen Vorteil vor der Maschine habe.

Man kann es zumindest erst einmal ausprobieren. Mache ich eigentlich immer, wenn ich eine Geschichte in Deutsch und Englisch schreibe.

Kann man, aber man kann natürlich auch in unserem netten Forum nachfragen.
Der eine mag lieber dies, der andere das. :)
Ist doch schön, wenn noch Austausch zwischen Menschen stattfindet.

Lieben Gruss
Mayia

Man kann es zumindest erst einmal ausprobieren. Mache ich eigentlich immer, wenn ich eine Geschichte in Deutsch und Englisch schreibe.

Ich inzw. auch. :) Und ich bin extrem überrascht, wie gut die Online-Translation-Portale das inzw. übersetzen. (ist ja auch kein Wunder: Es gibt ungefähr 1 Mrd. muttersprachliche Englisch-Sprechende: US, Kanada, AUS + GB, und ungefähr 100 Mio Menschen [D, AUT + CH], die deutschsprachige Übersetzungs-Anfragen in ihre Web-Browser eintippen....)

Also da hat eine AI natürlich genug Daten, um so ziemlich die meisten Satz-Konstruktionen richtig zu übersetzen...

Beim Umgangssprachlichen tut sie sich halt noch schwer.... Weil zB: "Bist du deppat" kann auch heißen: "Omg, I can't believe it!??!!!" , eben abhängig vom Satz-Zusammenhang ☺️😌🥰

bist-du-deppat.JPG

Lieben Gruss
Mayia
und @Mayia wenn ich etwas anregen dürfte: Lass doch bitte dieses andauernde:

» Lieben Gruss
Mayia «

im Sinne der besseren Verständlichkeit und Lesbarkeit und Aussagekraft deiner Texte bei Gelegenheit weg. Denn: Das macht jeden dener Posts nur jedes Mal um 3-4 Zeilen länger, völlig unabhängig vom Inhalt, was du darüber geschrieben hast oder auch nicht... :sneaky:

I use this site... because of the interaction and the variety of answers I get here...as well as some explanations and background some people offer...and I really appreciate that. Due to age, my memory is fading and I haven't been back to Berlin in a while and I won't be going back.

Apologies for asking, but how different are German and Austrian expressions of pleasure? I used to know an Austrian girl who grew up near Linz and some of the phrasing I remember her using like "Du fühlst dich so gut an” doesn’t seem right on the page. Am I imagining there’s more differences?

Back