Help with a few German phrases.

a picture is worth a thousands words they say. ☺️

1+2nd is historical, 3rd pic is a modern version of a 'Mensur' 😄)

Attachments

• this-is-a-schmiss.JPG
    this-is-a-schmiss.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
In a corner kneipe, or kneipen which ever is correct, a tired old waitress accepts a tip from a customer she has known for years, how would she respond to him ...
I've heard people say "bitte," sometimes, when I expected "Danke"

If she knows him well, and is happy about the tip, she would probably say: Danke Dir.
Just Danke or Dankeschön would be possible as well but it’s a bit less personal.

Regarding Kneipe.
There is: Kneipe (Plural: Kneipen)
or corner kneipe would be a: Eckkneipe

cheers
Mayia

@ Dearelliot: Sounds more and more interesting. Give us a hint when you're done, please :)

Last edited:
Hopefully the last two:

Would it be, when the lady casually introduces her friend to the bored tired waitress she's known for years, in a GI bar in Berlin, "Meine Freund, Mike."

She gives the waitress a 5 mark tip,
saying "Trink Geld" I recall we used to use that or something like it back when. We didn't use the word "Tip"
Is Trink Geld correct?

Would it be, when the lady casually introduces her friend to the bored tired waitress she's known for years, in a GI bar in Berlin, "Meine Freund, Mike."
“Das ist mein Freund, Mike.“ (it does not explain if it is a boyfriend or just a „friend“.)

saying "Trink Geld" I recall we used to use that or something like it back when. We didn't use the word "Tip"
The German word is „Trinkgeld“.
An alternative to avoid using the word would be to say:
“Stimmt so“ or „Das stimmt so.“, means when you give more than you have on the bill and you do not expect change and the additional money can be considered „Trinkgeld“.
The right phrase to use, as usual, depends a bit on the situation and the relations between the people involved.

Have fun.
Lieben Gruss
Mayia

could/would she shorten the phrase to "mein Freund, Mike"
Thank you

Yes I recall that, Stimmt so

Could/would be possible.
In fact as you were talking about a casual introduction (was not sure what it meant before), she could introduce him, perhaps with a small nod: „Mein Freund, Mike.“

Cheers,
Mayia

Hopefully the last two:
don't worry^^ ask when/whatever you want. That's what the Literotica (main) forum is meant for :)

She gives the waitress a 5 mark tip,
Is Trink Geld correct?

Well, basically the word 'Trinkgeld' is correct. You just wouldn't use it in the sitation. ;)

If the waitress is saying: "It's 17,50 EUR" -- then you say: "20,-".

That's 2,50 EUR Trinkgeld then, and that's pretty much ok for most cases in Austria. :)

A totally different thing is it, of course, if you want to give a "bigger" Trinkgeld... like, if you like a girl very much or something... ^^

He's back for more help.
I recall my wife's family often said when we left their home for the evening, something like, "Kum gut na Hause," is the saying and spelling correct?

I recall my wife's family often said when we left their home for the evening, something like, "Kum gut na Hause," is the saying and spelling correct?
The correct saying/spelling is, "Komm gut nach Hause!" (if only one person is addressed) or, "Kommt gut nach Hause!" (if multiple persons are addressed).

Hope that helps!

In writing street names...How to write:
Uhland Strasse, or would you write, UhlandStrasse?
Clay Allee = ClayAllee.
Could you shorten guten abend Gunther to "Na'bend Gunther"

Clay Allee = ClayAllee.
Street names are usually written as one word in German, hence "Uhlandstraße" (note that only the first letter is capitalized as well as the use of the "ß" in the Standard German spelling of "Straße") and "Clayallee".

You could shorten the phrase, "Guten Abend Gunther!" (note the capitalization of the noun "Abend") to "'n Abend Gunther!" (note the placement of the apotrophe before the "n," signifying the omission of the word's other letters) or "Nabend Gunther!" (in this case representing the way the contraction is actually spoken in its spelling).

I hope this helps!

Clay Allee = ClayAllee.
As AJ said - with one exception.

Note that there is NEVER a capital letter in the middle of a word in official German. There are also NEVER two nouns (which are all "proper" in German) connected by a space.

As in English Germans tend to merge two words which are used together first by a hyphen (that may be the case with Clay-Allee) and only much later (decades) by writing them together without something in between. When the first streets were named by after Mr Uhland (German poet and politician from the early 19th century) they were certainly written as "Uhland-Straße"

cu
Phiro

Last edited:
Love it. thanks for the help.
@dear Elliot, I am sure these two people have helped you some, but even as far as street names go. they missed a fine point: once a street name contains first AND Last name, separating hypens are mandatory. as in Willy-Brandt-Platz.

But I suggest you do not despair. The author Mark Twain wrote a whole chapter once on the intricacies German. Close to the end of the 19th century, on the occasion of him and a friend touring southern Germany then. And Mark Twain's conclusion on it all can be seen by the title he gave this chapter.
Here a link to it, in case you are up to a lesson full of lots of irony: https://www.viaggio-in-germania.de/awful-german-language.pdf

Back