Hate feedback that is wrong!

I am relatively new here and have seen comments as pointless as this one. I have posted stories here with more typo's, grammatical errors, mistakes than I realised. I was quite shocked to find how many errors I had made. Assumptions are made that my errors relate to my intelligence or education. I have Parkinson's and can have issues with manual dexterity and typing and concentration and proof checking. While the banality, inaccuracy and rudeness of some posts are unpleasant they are really not important in the overall scheme of things. Stories posted provide entertainment to others. If I make even one person smile then it is worthwhile

I am relatively new here and have seen comments as pointless as this one. I have posted stories here with more typo's, grammatical errors, mistakes than I realised. I was quite shocked to find how many errors I had made. Assumptions are made that my errors relate to my intelligence or education. I have Parkinson's and can have issues with manual dexterity and typing and concentration and proof checking. While the banality, inaccuracy and rudeness of some posts are unpleasant they are really not important in the overall scheme of things. Stories posted provide entertainment to others. If I make even one person smile then it is worthwhile

I totally agree. While I strive to correct my mistakes before I post, I still make them. My latest story, I re read after seeing the feedback. I found two people willing to help edit. Then I re-posted it. I was going to remove the comments, but decided not to. I'm sure there are things we missed,but I got a few favorites so that's good. Now If I can find an editor i can posted the nest chapter.

I got nitpicked about the difference between a rock and a stone.

I recently got downgraded twice (assuming anonymous can be two different posters) for a character snapping her gum rather than popping it.

I recently got downgraded twice (assuming anonymous can be two different posters) for a character snapping her gum rather than popping it.

Omg, that sucks. We all know which is correct. Lol. It's the way the author wrote it.

Shit, I should have checked that line before adding it to my April Fools story

"The young girl snapping gum followed me into the kitchen"

I knew it was something like that. :rolleyes:

I would like to thank all of your hard work you put into the stories you write, some people just talk shit sometimes so carry on writing (next carry on film LOL) I look forward to reading them. and before the punctuation police pop up i would not know a full stop if it bit me on the arse...

I'm just glad when I get any comments whatsoever... I have no idea why no one seem to like to comment on my stories, even though I get pretty good ratings. :V

Just got this one for my story 'Hallowmas - Wicca Sister' in Incest/Taboo:

'Thief!
You've stolen my time! I read your story even though I don't like stories of witches and magic and dragons - and half way through I find that the story labeled Incest/Taboo is nothing of the sort. Brother and sister aren't brother and sister - surprise! Fooled you!

You aren't just a thief but a liar! I now know not to trust beachbum1958, that you will trick me and lie to me. Goodbye. I hope it was worth it. You've lost me as a reader forever.'

Just for your info, the main characters are half-brother and sister (same mother), so I fail to see how stepkids doing it are regarded as incestuous, which seems to fly all over the category, while two people who share a parent are not. Makes you wonder how much of the story they actually read at all...

Makes you wonder how much of the story they actually read at all...

Wow to that whole comment....

I wonder that too. I don’t have any readers calling for a hanging in the town square. But I regularly get emails from those who’ve read-but-not-read my stories, “informing” me that my heroine’s name is Cara, not Kiera.... It’s the same character.

Just got this one for my story 'Hallowmas - Wicca Sister' in Incest/Taboo:

'Thief!
You've stolen my time! I read your story even though I don't like stories of witches and magic and dragons -

"Well, that was stupid of you, wasn't it?"

I got the reverse yesterday - a PM with glowing feedback on a story that, alas, isn't one of mine.

I was a journalist for a decade and I write according to stylebook, it's so annoying when anon go off on feedback about incorrect grammar or punctuation and they are completely wrong.

I'm a Marine, so it particularly sucks when somebody in military goes off on me for not doing title right.

For the record, sergeant is not capitalized unless it's in front of a name, then it's Sgt. Etc. I get this one a lot, even had people tell me I'm a faker because I don't know proper military titles.

Just a vent.

I was a journalist too. I look at comments and feedback the same way we used to read letters to the editor and the occasional hand-written critical letters. We had a definite process. First, does it make sense? If no, does it contain any literary merit? If no, does its gibbering, ranting content contain anything amusing that needs to be highlighted and displayed on the newsroom bulletin board so everyone can enjoy and/or mock it?
Nowhere in this process did we take anything personally. If a legit complaint existed, we made it right insofar as we could. If one did not, we marveled at how much spare time some people had.
This approach has always worked well for me, even since leaving that field.

... Makes you wonder how much of the story they actually read at all...

I had a respectful conversation with one of the few non-anon writers of a negative review. It was apparent by the first exchange of messages he had actually read it. He just did not comprehend what he read.

Lisa Ann

I had a respectful conversation with one of the few non-anon writers of a negative review. It was apparent by the first exchange of messages he had actually read it. He just did not comprehend what he read.

Lisa Ann

I’m curious, since you had a discussion with him, but almost loath to ask. Did he come to understand what he’d misunderstood? And if so, what happened once he did?

I’m curious, since you had a discussion with him, but almost loath to ask. Did he come to understand what he’d misunderstood? And if so, what happened once he did?

No, because the same words had different meanings to each of us. My writing is based in my own life experience. It's pretty much sibling incest stories because IRL I have had a 40 year romantic (not merely sexual, although the sexual part is wonderful) relationship with my big brother. A constant theme in my writing is that if parent(s) teach thier children THIS IS THE WAY to interact, support, nurture care for each other. AND they teach thier kids to be each others best freind to love each other and put each other first. AND the kids do so. Then the parents have unwittingly made the perfect mate/spouse for each. To me love between siblings is natural, just not usually taken into the realm of romantic and sexual coupling. To me the taboos exist BECAUSE its natural.

His view, which I am not denegrading (even though its clearly wrong ;-)) is that incest stories are fun to read because they describe something somehow "wrong" and apparently my refusal to label the characters as being sinful decreased his enjoyment of the story. And he used a religious argument to support his viewpoint.

Tactical suicide. IRL I befriended "the Pastor's daughter" in first grade. We were both nerdy little girls, huge bookworms. I spent much of my childhood in her father's library, reading facinating (to us at least) books on history, and theology. Books on how the Bible was assembled, who assembled it. How thier beliefs influenced the translations, from Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek into Latin and then English. How in some cases the earlier texts were modified to fit the translator or assemblers beliefs.

He believed that there was only one correct way to view incest. (As sinful therefore fun to read about other people engaged in it.) My characters did not express guilt or regret for what they had done. My story did not fit his preconsieved notions, so it was a "bad" story. He couldn't comprehend that there were other equally, or even more valid ways to view the subject.

Lisa Ann

Last edited:
He believed that there was only one correct way to view incest. (As sinful therefore fun to read about other people engaged in it.) My characters did not express guilt or regret for what they had done. My story did not fit his preconsieved notions, so it was a "bad" story. He couldn't comprehend that there were other equally, or even more valid ways to view the subject.

Lisa Ann

There's a surprising amount of this sort of thinking here. You'll even find it among contributors at the Author's Hangout. Some people are inflexible about which kinks are permissible and which aren't, or how one is supposed to write about a particular kink. I scanned your story comments and I see you also got a safe sex zealot among your commenters == someone who's so worked up about the incestuous partners getting pregnant that they can't enjoy the story. Of course, you also get the commenters who don't understand why you DIDN'T have mom get knocked up by her son. You can't win with everybody, that's for sure. I think that's one of the reasons that incest stories, though the most viewed, are seldom the highest rated.

I honestly have to say that this is the very first time I've ever posted in the Literotica forum and I've been a member here for 11 years.

I don't receive the most feedback for my stories but I do write for a niche audience. The few times, however, that I received negative feedback it was always something grammar-related and they always failed to tell me what they were talking about. Some of my earliest works were pretty bad I admit but anything I submit anymore I proofread and sometimes have other editors view my work before submitting. I also use the "grammarly" app so it dumbfounds me when I get downvoted for grammar and no one tells me what they're talking about. I'm always open to suggestions for improving on my writing, but just to tell me I made mistakes without telling me what it was, irritates me.

Also, there are times when I'm writing dialogue and I'm purposely writing in poor grammar because my character is using poor grammar. It's not rocket science folks.
Oh well, rant over :).

Some comments on my 120-ish stories are incoherent. Some (mostly in LW) are vicious. Hey, my words provoked someone to drop their cock and stroke the keys! My job is done.

I was raised speaking Texan. Which I understand to have evolved from English.

Lisa Ann

There is correct English, which even many in the UK don’t write or speak, and the variations that have evolved in different parts of the world. As long as you understand what is said or written does it matter.? Although one exception in the US is “aluminum” which doesn’t exist. That’s entirely different from such as “colour” or “color” the spelling of which is immaterial because there’s no difficulty in understanding.

As a regular visitor to the southern states I would like to say how lovely is their accent and their version of correct English.

Some comments on my 120-ish stories are incoherent. Some (mostly in LW) are vicious. Hey, my words provoked someone to drop their cock and stroke the keys! My job is done.

LOL maybe if you let them finish with their cocks they wouldn't be so ornery :D

Bet they don't know how to properly pronounce "forte" either. (The "e" should be silent, although the Philistines are beginning to wear that down.). :D

Back