Glad I don't own one of these

Lovelynice

wet at present
Consumer complaints about Ford F150 fires

A whole lot of people have been getting upset about those F150s

Mehdi Rezazadeh of Danville CA (02/14/06)
The 1997 F 150 parked for 3 days in my driveway caught fire. Tomorow I will call NHTSA and Ford. I think it was the cruise control heating up when parked. Thanks god it was parked in my gated driveway and not inside my house.

David of San Antonio TX (02/10/06)
On Jan. 10 at 2:00 a.m., my son awoke us to tell me our 2000 Ford F-150 was on fire. We called the fire department and used a hose til they arrived. My truck was a total loss. It was my business truck. My tools are in the back yard and I have not worked in a month. No answer from Ford.

My truck is still parked in front of my door at home, 12 feet away. Thank God, our house did not burn. My bank account is empty and my payments are behind on the truck. I cannot even focus somedays. it is always the little guy that gets the ... you know what.

Lee of Chapel Hill NC (02/09/06)
The same cruise control/brake switch part failure causing fires in F-150 trucks is used on 95 Windstars. I experienced a fire in the connection from corrossion and leaking within the switch. There were no indications that a dangerous fire causing leak was occuring. There was no leaking brake fluid anywhere. Fortunately, due to wet weather and cold temperatures the fire was contained to the switch plug and wires. Had the failure occured in summer rather than February, we would have lost the vehicle to a fire, perhaps while driving at highway speed.

I went to the local dealer and informed them what happened and requested the warranty for F-150 models be used to cover this obvious failure. The customer Rep at the Dealer (Univeristy Ford) was very helpful and called the local (Atlanta, GA) area Ford Rep who declined the request. The danger here is that there are thousands of 95 Windstars transporting children and driven by unsuspecting Moms and Dads that are at risk of death from the fire that will erupt due to these failing switches. Rather than limiting to certain models, Ford should be replacing these switches in every model that used the switch.

Ivan of Liberty KS (02/06/06)
I own a 1996 Ford F150. On 12-06-05 about 7:45pm my wife heard an explosion and looked outside our home to see our Ford truck on fire and called 911. We called Ford and sent pics. of our Ford F150. Ford replied after looking at pics. said the pick-up was burnt to bad they would not be able to tell where fire started. I also have a copy of fire report. It stated: "upon arrival we found a ford pick-up with the engine comp. fully enveloped in fire with the cab suffering extreme heat and smoke damage".

Also: "the fire had been very intense on the left side of the engine, heat from the vehicle also did damage to another vehicle parked near it". I later found out about the faulty cruise control switch.

Mary of Liberty Hill TX (02/02/06)
On Saturday, January 14, 2006, the 1997 Ford F-150 parked in the driveway caught fire. No one in the house was aware of the fire, and a passing bicyclist came running in the house shouting that a truck was on fire in the driveway. The fire was extinguished with the garden hose, but not before it did damage to the new 2006 (3 week new) vehicle sitting next to it.

It also melted the vinyl siding on the house, which is only 4 years old. Shortly after the fire was out, the fire department got there and put out any remaining smoke. They also went inside the house looking for heat that may have been inside the walls, since the truck was parked less than 10 feet from the house, and it did damage to the exterior.

Linda of Newnan GA (02/02/06)
My 2003 F-150 caught fire in my driveway on Tuesday 1/31/06 at approx. 7:45pm. It is totally destroyed. I am waiting for my insurance claim adjuster to contact me. Is there anything more I can do. I contacted my Ford dealership and there were no recalls on my car. Any help is greatly appreciated. My truck was only 2 1/2 years old and I owe 14,500.00 on it. It is totally destroyed and a melted mess sitting in my driveway. Is FORD doing anything to help all of the people that their truck catch on fire?

Steve of Hilton Head Island SC (02/02/06)
On January 26, 2006 at 3am in 33-degree weather our 1998 Ford Explorer exploded in flames causing my 1994 Buick Century to go up in flames. Both cars were in the driveway for 15 hours due to our family having a stomach flu and not leaving the house for anything. The fire investigator ruled the fire as "unknown causes" although he states that the fire started in the engine of the Explorer and no arson or foul play was involved. Both cars were totalled.

Sue of Greenville NC (01/30/06)
It seems awful odd how Ford can recall a part on nearly 1 million vehicles for a definate fire hazard, but just because I purchased the vehicle that only sells approx. 5000 a year (Excursion) they will not recall it. It is the same part number and everything, that is in the Pick-up trucks. My vehicle was very close to having a major & Dangerous fire last Friday. The only thing that saved us, was a slight burning smell prior to us leaving the parking lot. FORD MUST CLEAN UP THE ACT.

Johnny of Easley SC (01/24/06)
we came back from a concert on Saturday Jan 21 and parked our 1998 Ford Explorer in the driveway. We were back home at about 11pm. On Sunday Jan 22 we were awakened at 8:30 am by a banging on our front door. It was the fire dept. Guess what? The Explorer was ablaze. It had been sitting for 9 hours.

Brad of Goodlettsville TN (01/24/06)
3:00 AM my wife woke up to the sound of my F-350 tire exploding and my truck being engulfed in flames. Fire marshall could not give any reasons because of the extent of the damage. Truck had been sitting still and not running for 9 hours.

Brad of Parrish AL (01/05/06)
My 98 explorer had been in my driveway for about five hours since last being driven. I heard a noise, went outside and it was in flames from under the hood. The fire started just infront of the brake master cylinder. It is a total loss.

Josh of Corona CA (12/20/05)
The truck was parked in the driveway @ 7:30 pm. Around 12:15 am, My wife heard a loud popping noise and what sounded like a banging type crash. She thought a car had crashed out in front of the house, so she looked out the window and saw the truck with flames coming out from under the hood. We called the fire dept. and sprayed water on our eaves until they arrived. I will need to replace the eaves above the garage, garage doors, several items in the garage that melted or burned as well as work tools and all personel items from the truck. I will also have to re-paint my house due to the fire and smoke from the truck going across the front of my house above the garage.

The fire investigator reports that the fire started under the hood. I contacted the Ford dealer where I have purchased 5 trucks in the past year! When asked about recalls or if this was covered under warranty due to the year of the truck and where the fire started, they responded that there is NO recall, and they would not cover anything under warranty???? This is actually the second Ford truck in about six months that I have had catch fire????? The first was an F-350 that I used as one of my work trucks. That fire actually stared while the truck was being driven back to my shop from a job. The fire dept. stated the fire had also started under the hood in the engine compartment.

I had no idea that there were any issues with Ford trucks and fires. Had I known, I would have never turned the first truck into my insurance carrier without raising questions regarding possible faulty parts as a cause of damage.

Anthony of Rochester NY (12/15/05)
We have a Ford Explorer and my daughter came home from Nazareth College on Wdnesday, December 14, 2005, around 1:00pm. I was on vacation from work, so I was home. We had lunch and began wrapping Christmas presents,when I heard a puff sound around 2:45pm. I looked outside to find that the Ford Explorer was on fire.

The car had been sitting, unattained for an hour and a half in our driveway. Shocked at what happened, we went on the internet to find that this is a known accurance that Ford has documentation of. Other customers had the same incident happen to them with unattended Ford SUV's. We would like to know what to do.

Troy of Pascagoula MS (12/05/05)
My 1997 Ford F-150 caught on fire in my front yard. My family and I were out of town that weekend. The fire started on the driver's side firewall under the hood. It destroyed the truck, needless to say. The Fire Department evacuated our street in case the fire reached the fuel tank. Luckily, the truck was not that close to the house.

We had just paid off that truck and had just dropped the full coverage, leaving only liability. We contacted Ford and received a letter from them, basically starting there were no recalls on the vehicle and it was not their problem. I don't understand how a huge company like Ford can make vehicles that catch on fire and burn to nothing and have no liability whatsoever.

Grant of Albuquerque NM (12/01/05)
On the 21st of July, 2006 my Ford f-150 caught fire under the hood on the driver’s side. The truck had been parked for 18 hours! My neighbor and I managed to keep the fire under control until the fire department showed up and put the fire out. I have talked to Ford representatives repeatedly and they have strung me along for months now. I am under the impression that they will continue to drag this out until I give up and go away.

I have been told by other attorneys that my case is not worth enough money because there was no property damage and no personal injury. It is unfair that even though Ford knew about the problem they are unwilling to make amends to those who lost vehicles to this design flaw. I am glad house did not burn down but that does not change the fact that Ford owes me a new truck or compensation for the one that was destroyed.

Kelly of Brunswick GA (11/17/05)
My son's 1996 Ford F-150 caught on fire on August 31, 2005 after we had driven it to the gas station and back to his Grandparents home - approx 2 miles. The fire department came but the truck was completely destroyed in the engine area, tires, cabin. I received a recall approximately 2 - 3 days after this occurred. I contacted the ford company and they told me to have the car towed to the Ford dealership and they would have an investigator come out.

The Ford company called me 3 days later and informed me that according to the pictrues that were sent to them - the damage was too extensive to determine that it was a manufactured defect therefore they could not help me.

Jack of South Vienna OH (11/16/05)
On August 30th 2005 Our 1995 Ford F150 caught fire after sitting in the driveway for 3 days. My son was awoke by a sizzling sound -- he looked out his bedroom window and saw flames shooting about 6 feet in the air. We called the Fire Dept. I tried to put out the fire with the garden hose with no luck. By the time the Fire Dept. arrived the whole engine had burned. I called my insurance company and it was not covered by Auto or Home Owners.

I did some research on line and discovered there had been a problem with fires on my year and make of Truck. I then called Ford and they gave me the runaround and acted like they did not know anything about fires happening to their vehicles. After some persistance, Ford had me have my truck towed at my expense to our local dealer. They told us an "Expert" would examine it.The only thing they did was take pictures and e-mail them to Ford in Dearborn.

What a runaround. It seems funny that 2 days after our fire we received the recall notice. Then when I called the recall phone number they did not have much to say but took another report. Ford has cost us a lot of money. I wonder if Tobie Keith would still represent FORD if he knew how FORD was treating their customers! Not the AMERICAN way!!!

Paul of Wanship UT (11/16/05)
I had a 2000 Ford F-150 burn up while parked due to a fire in the engine compartment. Now they admit to a problem with the cruise control switch, which has caused at least 500 F-150s to catch fire, resulting in a huge recall. But now, even after the recall, they won't accept responsibility for my truck

Tameeka of Jacksonville TEXAS (11/02/05)
My husband works for the City of Jacksonville. He drove a 2000 F-250 home in the evenings. On August 10, 2005, the truck caught fire and burned my 2002 Chevy Trailblazer and 2 rooms of our home. We have filed the claim on my insurance, but we are having so much trouble getting our lives back in order. How do I make sure Ford is held responsible for this fire?

Daniel of Naples FL (11/02/05)
On January 3rd of 2005 my wife's 2001 F-150 Super crew caught fire and burned to the ground, a TOTAL loss. Through my misfortune my insurance had lapsed. Ford's position was "turn it into your insurance". After 17 attempts to get them to understand I did not have insurance, they advised me to sue them. In Florida you cannot recoup attorneys fees so I could spend 10 to 20 thousand to get a 20 thousand dollar judgement, what a deal.

I have been making payments on a vehicle that is a total loss, can not drive it, just look at it and smell the horror.

Leah of Manhattan KS (10/17/05)
My 97 Ford F-150 had an under-hood electrical fire in front of my son's school while it was parked. No CHILDREN, vehicles or property was damaged and no one was in it. I just had the truck repaired the day before to try to find out why the fuse controlling the power steering and ac unit was always shorting out. While I watched my truck burn, the school's staff said Ford was having trouble with under-hood fires and I remembered I just got a recall letter about something about the power steering so when I got home I read it again and found myself the victim of the recall.

I did not have a chance to get the truck into the dealership to fix the problem and frankly I wouldn't accept the way they chose to fix it. I never have dealerships work on my vehicles when they are out of warranty because I never get the best price or workmanship so I take it to other qualified mechanics and I am much happier with their work. After the accident, I was going to get another F-150 but not after I read about all the hardships and losses so many people have suffered. I also suffered because I wasn't ready to get rid of this truck yet and I was faced with the sudden need to purchase another vehicle -- an expense I didn't plan for.

Where did Ford's quality go? My grandmother had an old Ford pickup with a straight-6 engine and it never died and I can't tell you the year but this thing is old. My truck wasn't made up to the standards that Ford used to have and frankly I do not trust them to make anything worth buying due this under-hood fire hazard. A truck is supposed to be made to last for years and be a good workhorse for the family that owns them.

Like so many other people I called Ford to tell them the news and they suggested my insurance co will handle the claim however I only had liability on the truck because of its age so I am not getting reimbursed for this loss. The day after the fire I told a neighbor who also had an F-150 about the fire problem and he said he had it fixed 6 months ago but that his Dad lost a Ford Bronco to an electrical fire. So there is defiantly a pattern here that needs to be looked into.

Christina of Tabor City NC (10/14/05)
I was driving my Ford Explorer and all of a sudden it went crazy and the fuse box under hood caught fire and burnt all wires beyond repair -- insurance company said it was a total loss.

Derrick of Abington MA (10/06/05)
On Aug. 14 on about 9:30 at night my 2001 Lincoln Navigator caught on fire. The car had been sitting all day and caught on fire by itself. They owe me for my deductible. I feel i shouldn't have to pay because ford make a vehicle that can just caught on fire.

Darlene of Fredericksburg VA (09/23/05)
I have a 2000 Ford F-150 that caught fire after I parked it in front of a Kohl's Department Store. I was told it sounded like the truck was trying to start itself when it was burning. I would have never thought it could burn so badly so quick. No sooner did I and my 5-yr. old son enter the store we were shopping at I heard commotion about a truck engulfed in flames. What can be done by Ford Motor Company to compensate those affected and prevent any other incidents?

Michael of Triniy AL (09/22/05)
My truck burst into flames while parked in my driveway. The investigator with the fire department told me it was caused by a faulty cruise control device. I discovered that Ford had announced a recall just days prior. I contacted Ford immediately and they offered no assistance at all. The representative that I spoke with on the phone told me they weren't prepared to compensate me in any way. I tried to discuss this further and explain my situation and she hung the phone up on me.

My entire truck was engulfed in flames and burned until the fire department extinguished it. It almost burned my house down. My truck, the car parked next to it and my home all have value and I need Ford to make it right. I have missed work because of this and I can't afford that. What am I supposed to do for transportation to and from work? I live in a rural area and have to drive 15 miles to work...it's not like I can call a cab, ride a bike or walk to work. It is very unfair and very poor business ethics for Ford to ignore this. I am in this predicament due to Ford's neglegence it was no fault of my own. I keep my truck in good condition because I liked it and I wanted to keep it. And, now I don't even have a truck at all. Yes, I am really upset.

Larry of Big Spring TX (09/19/05)
I arrived home from work and parked my vehicle at approximately 6:00 PM. The vehicle was parked under the carport 15 feet away from my bedroom window. At 12:30 AM, my wife and I heard a noise, looked out the blinds to find fire coming from drivers side edges of hood. Me and my son ran out to get a garden hose as my wife called 911. As I was passing by the vehicle the paint was beginning to burn off directly above the brake booster.

I began spraying the vehicle through the radiator grill, as my son was trying to pop the hood. I sprayed around the edges, flames were coming out mostly from the drivers side. Then the drivers side plastic tire well burned out enough, I was able to get water underneath the hood. The fire department arrived at 12:34 AM. They popped the hood using their cable tool and began to apply water. Luckily the fire was extinguished within about 15 minutes, due to the fire department is only a couple of blocks away.

Because of the quick response of extinguishing the fire, you can definitely tell where the fire originated. The air filter on the right-hand side suffered heat damage, but were not destroyed. On the left side of the engine the rubber hoses and fuel lines were still intact and not burned. The only thing that was completely destroyed was the brake fluid reservoir, and the cruise control switch. When the firemen examined it, they thought it may have come from the wiring harness, they had never seen the brake fluid reservoir catch on fire.

The fuel filter had been changed 2 weeks prior, and we thought that may have something to do with it. The mechanic that had done the work, came out to examine the damage. He pointed out the fuel filter was located underneath the frame and not in the engine compartment. Two weeks after our fire, FORD came out with the 1999-2000 model recall on the cruise control switch. At that time I went to the FORD house to enquire if my could have been related. I was told the 1996 had a completely different set up than the 1999-2000 models. They said my fire must have been a "freak accident".

I only had liability insurance on this vehicle. Due to the extensive damage, I sold it for salvage only. 9/7/05 we saw on the local news, FORD had issued another recall. This time our vehicle was included in the 1994-2002 recall. A number was provided to call FORD and file a claim. I called FORD and was told to get a copy of the official fire report, and proof from my insurance, that I owned the vehicle at the time of the loss.

Two days later, I was contacted by FORD's legal department, they told me to tow the vehicle to the local FORD dealership at my expense. I told them the vehicle was at the wrecking yard being salvaged, due to the 8 months that had passed. They told me they would not help me, because I had tampered with the vehicle. They then told me their official statement was " WE ARE SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS". I then told them, that was not satisfactory, I was going to contact our local FORD dealership. I was told not to contact anyone, FORD was going to send me an official letter stating "WE ARE SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS".

The local FORD dealership did go to the salvage yard to view the vehicle, but they said they could not determine the cause of the fire. They told me to contact FORD's legal department again, but they will not return my phone calls.

Joy-Ann of Pembroke Pines FL (09/17/05)
On September 12, 2005, my 2002 Ford Expedition caught fire while parked in front of my home. It had been driven to the store and back about 20 minutes before, but was sitting with the engine off, keys out, etc. I was preparing to go out in the SUV to the store with my children, and thankfully, was running late. The man who does our neighbor's lawn rang our doorbell frantically to alert us that the car had suddenly caught on fire. By the time the fire department arrived, the whole front end of my truck was a blackened-out hull.

I contacted the dealership where I bought the truck and was told that it was between me and my insurance company. I had the vehicle towed to a nearby dealership and they immediately signed it over to my insurer, with the service manager certain that the total loss was due to the "recall problem."

My truck was paid off, it was my only form of transportation both personally and for my business, and now I've lost all that equity, and the hard work of paying it off seems like a total waste. I can now only pray that my insurance company can help me recover even some of what the car was worth.

John of Monroe LA (09/13/05)
My daughter was driving her 91 Ford Explorer to work when flames started coming out from under the hood of the truck. The cause was electrical wiring near the firewall. I have also had to have the transmission rebuilt after only 65,000 miles. The fire happened about 3 months after the tranny job. She acquired second degree burns on her forearm and I had to buy a new automobile to replace the explorer.

Bradley of Natchez MS (09/13/05)
My client's 1996 Ford F-150 pickup caught fire on Sept. 8, 2005 while parked in his driveway and was completely consumed. His house was also partially damaged.

Anthony of Greensboro N C 27405 NC (09/08/05)
In May of 1999, our 1997 Ford F150 Lariat burned and was a total loss. Ford told us there was not a recall at the time of the fire so they could not do anything about the truck. Now there is a recall, and we are still getting the runaround from Ford. When the truck burned up, it cost us our subcontracting business. We lost two major contracts with Lowe's and Home Depot because we could not get into another full-sized truck.

John of Myrtle Beach SC (09/08/05)
Ford igintion switch fire. House burned and mother died in fire. Still waiting for trial. Same type coverup as cruise control. Still many defective switches on road.

Dan of North Aurora IL (09/07/05)
My Ford Explorer, eddie bauer edition, caught fire in my driveway due to a mechnical malfunction, not any wrongdoing on our part. i have experienced substantial financial loss including the loss of my primary mode of transportaion to and from work, and the loss of personal items that were burned. We have also eperienced the emotional upset of going through this and having the manufacturer (ford) deny all resonsibilty and liability.

James of Altamonte Sprngs FL (09/06/05)
I replaced a blown fuse on my 1998 Ford Ranger. Unknown to me it was the fuse for the cruise control which had not worked for several years. When I put my foot on the brake to put the vehicle in gear I noticed smoke billowing from under the hood. When I opened the hood I found the brake disconnect swtich for the cruise control on fire. The fire had engulfed the reservoir for the master cylinder.

I grabbed a shop towel and put the fire out which broke the switch in half and left it in ashes. In the aftermath my master cylinder was destroyed and my brake lights do not work. Ford does not recognize the Ranger as a recall vehicle for the disconnect switch. I am sure if they wait another year, 8 years, they will not have to recall it at all. Any vehicle over 8 years old is not included in a reacll. Ford rep Caroline told me "good luck in getting any help with this problem".

Susan of Charlestown MD (09/04/05)
My 2000 F-150 pickup truck burst into flames. it was parked for 3 and a half hours.Caught fire underhood , flames were coming from drivers side. By the time it was extinguished it was engulfed. Fire marshall arrived to investigate.

I am an electrician and need my vehicle for work.I now have to borrow a vehicle until this is settled with insurance company, but i know they will not give me enough to pay truck off and start again with a new one. I will probably lose thousands of dollars and be without a vehicle for a while. I am still devastated that it could just catch fire when not started.

Jose of Mcallen TX (09/03/05)
I parked my 2001 Ford F-150 extended cab in the driveway and went in the backyard to do some work. About one hour later, at 7:00 PM I hear some noises and my neigbors calling me, when I came outside my truck was on flames. My friends and I tried to put out the fire but it did not stop until the fire department came. I called my insurance since it has full coverage but I believe Ford is liable. I went to a local dealership about six months ago and they said the truck was not recalled. I checked tonight in Ford's site with my VIN number and it says it is not recalled either.

According to the Fire department the fire started under the hood in the driver side and it is not the first F-150 fire call they attended this year. Sometimes I park my truck inside the garage, what would it happen if it catch fire inside the house? If Ford knows about the dangers, why is not recalling this truck as well? Are they playing with the numbers of risk management as they did with the Pinto's accident causing deaths when they decided to leave the car alone knowing it had a great probbability to explote if rear ended because it would cost less pay for the law suits than the recall? I lost my truck today but even this will put me on financial troubles and distress but it could be worse -- me or my family could have been injured or killed!

Karen of Cincinnati OH (09/01/05)
Two nights ago, my good condition 93 Ford Ranger burnt to the ground (practically) in the garage, the fire damaged two other vehicles, there was no mechanical prob with the truck and no explanation for the fire.... all I keep hearing from people is about the "module" and the electrical fire happening to Ford products.... the value of the truck apparantly has made investigatin of this issue a non factor for my insurance company.

Kendall of Lemoore CA (08/30/05)
I bought a used 1997 Ford F-150. It appeared to be a good used vehicle with low miles on it, so I went ahead and made the purchase. On July 15, 2005 I went out to start the vehicle and take it to work. When I started it and then when I attempted to put into reverse, it would not come out of gear. The "ABS" light was on and would not allow the truck to be taken out of "Park". I had it towed in for service. The maintenance department told me that I had a "Bad Switch" and that it needed to be replaced. I got the truck back and everything appeared to be working fine. Then, on July 19, 2005 the truck did the same thing. This time the maintenance department told me that I had wiring that had melted and shorted out. I got the work completed. Everything appeared to be working fine.

On Thursday August 4, 2005 I was leaving the main gate at NAS Lemoore and the brake and ABS lights both came on. I continued on my way home. I parked the vehicle and then proceeded on inside to call for a ride to work the next day since I was going to need to take the truck in service for a third time. While I was inside, the truck caught on fire.

I heard sirens outside, so I came out and most of my engine compartment was already gone. The fire came through the windshield and was beginning to come into the cab of the truck. My truck was noted as being "totaled". My insurance company has pretty much taken care of the claim and truck loan, but nothing is being done about the Ford Mechanics that actually did the work on the vehicle.

Someone needs to pursue this and launch an investigation into Ford itself. They are selling unsafe vehicles to the public. My 5 year old son and I were in the vehicle just minutes before the fire happened. We both could of been seriously injured or even killed. I would like to see something done about this.

Janett of Winder GA (08/18/05)
I parked my 98 Ford Expedition in my yard at approx. 5:00 p.m. on Mon Aug 15th 2005. At aprox 11:00 a.m. I smelled smoke, walked in front of the car to find it on fire, called 911 and the fire department came and put it out. We don't have Ins. to cover it. When I contacted Ford's Corp. office I was told there were no recalls on this model, but I have read about several similar cases on the web. Ford should have to take responsibility for these losses.

Rick of Pittsburg KS (08/17/05)
We had a 1998 Ford F150 extended cab with 61,000 miles on it. I was driving home from work with a neighbor following me and I hear a popping sound. The engine stopped and I started to coast then smoke and total fire that distroyed the entire truck in 10 min. before the fire department got there and put the fire out. Very scary, very hot and fast.

Called Ford nationally, they took all the information, called two Ford local Dealerships they took no information. Called back to Ford nationally they said they get with me in 48 hours. Time is up -- no help from Ford Nationally. They have not even called back! Truck's totaled. I have not heard form my local Insurance. Looks like every ne knows , yet no one will warn or say F150 can kill. This is a problem. I was lucky my house did not go also.

Fabiola of Barcelona, Spain (08/16/05)
I bought a 1998 Ford Explorer in 2004. After five hours of being stopped, a neighbor knocked on my door to inform me that the car was on fire. I did not have insurance when the fire happened.

Aaron of Miami FL (08/15/05)
My 1996 F150 caught on fire! I just happened to glace over at my truck and noticed fire comming out of the left front wheel well. after a brief and hectic panic attack i was able to put the fire out with minimal damage ( the whole master cylinder is destroyed, all the wiring around it and the left front tire ). I have photograhic proof of where the fire started from and i was aware of the recall, but i thought it was only for 2000-2003 vehicles. so what now?

i was one of the VERY lucky ones to catch it in time, but i still will have to pay about $1000 for repairs.

John of Apopka FL (08/15/05)
My 1997 Ford 150 caught on fire due to the cruise control switch. It burned out the master cylinder, wiring harress and switch on the rear brakes. I had the vehicle towed to Tires Plus and was told they could not do anything as it was a Ford problem. Prestige Ford in Mt Dora, Fl, then towed it to their facility for repair. It has sat there waiting for someone to decide who is going to pay for this.

I have been told by Stephanie at Ford Consumer Affairs Division that I am responsible for this repair bill of over $2000 as my vin number did not come up on her computer therefore, Ford is not responsible. Even though it is a cruise control switch that caught on fire. I have been told by Ford Service told me that my switch is the same switch that they have had the trouble with on the F150's and Suv's that have 4.6 v8.

Danny of Chicago IL (08/13/05)
I saved for months to buy a Ford Expedition. I didn't want any car notes so I paid cash. Parked my 1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer at 9:30 p.m. My neighbor calls me at 3:30 a.m. My truck's on fire! I just bought it two weeks earlier for $6,000. Gone. I'm mad as hell. And Ford can go to hell too.

Devin of Fayetteville AR (08/10/05)
My 2003 E-350 series box van burned to the ground along with my entire mobile locksmithing business while I was asleep that morning. Had I not awakened to use the bathroom and go outside to smoke a cigarette I may very well have lost my children who were sleeping almost directly above the mystery van on fire. Forensic investigators deemed the cause "UNDETERMINED" but they wont release the findings to me and said I wouls have to make any inquiries to the insurance carrier. (ALLSTATE)

Completely lost primary source of income. The emotional aspects are ongoing. the marital relationship is strained to the point of collapse although we're hanging in there.

Keith of Ft. Lauderdale FL (08/08/05)
On Thursday August 4th, 2005 at 1:20 PM, ten minutes after sitting down at my desk, I was told by co workers that my 2002 Ford Harley edition F-150 was on fire in the parking lot. The fire originated from the engine compartment and within 10 minutes my truck was totalled. I never had any problems with the truck until this incident. I called Ford and they took my info and told me to let my insurance company handle it. Shouldn't Ford be fully responsible for the fire? Why should I have to go through the nightmare of buying a new truck when its their products defect?

Gary of Allen TX (08/04/05)
My 1998 Expedition had an electrical fire (while in my garage) on 8-3-05 about 90 minutes after I came home from work. The key was not in the car. Luckily, my son came home, opened the garage and saw smoke coming out. I immediately tried to back the truck out of the garage, but the brake pressure fuse had blown (due to the electrical fire) and the vehicle was stuck in Park. Thank God the fire went out by itself and only ruined the Speed Control Deactivator wire harness - burned it up.

Ford would not replace the parts at No Charge, since the "recall was only for the 2000 and 2001 models", although I have read that it is the same part on my 98 model!! There have been many fires reported on 98 Expeditions, and the National Hwy Traffic Safety Admin has an "investigation" open on this right now. I would think that Ford would at least replace the parts for free for those affected, especially since I was at risk of losing my vehicle, my home, and possibly human life !! I currently have two Fords (SUVs), but based on the way Ford treats thier customers, I will not buy another one !

Willie Jean of Headland AL (08/04/05)
I let my daughters drive my 2001 ford explorer to Destin, FL on 8-3-2005. Shortly after parking at the outlet stores, the truck caught fire and severely burned the interior of the truck. The driver side window had to be broken to put the fire out. The fire department could not determine the cause of the fire.

Elizabeth of Houston TX (08/04/05)
IN april of 2003, our 1994 Mercury Grand Marguis started on fire at 2am in the morning. The fire hit the gas water heater line and subsequently the fire went into the attic from the attached garage and the home was destroyed. Luckily, the vehicle horn going off by the fire woke us up and my family and I got out. We did lose a kitten in the fire.

Ford is being sued by my insurance company but it may end up going to court as Ford is denying responsibility. I've heard it said that they "litigate, litigate, litigate..." They do not accept responsibilty. We sold the lot and moved to another home in our area. There was disruption for approximately 1 year. The worst part was losing an animal; but it could have been worse, if we hadn't been awakened by the car alarm we may have died.

Maria of Tahlequah OK (07/25/05)
On July 11, 2005 my husband took my 1987 Toyota 4Runner to work, and parked by a 1995 Ford F-150. When about an hour later he was paged to come move my vehicle. When he went outside, the 1995 Ford F-150 was COMPLETELY engoulfed in flames, and had caught my passenger side, and the side of one other vehicle on fire. My Toyota's passenger side was COMPLETELY melted. There is not any plastic that wasn't melted left on it.

After reading so many complaints on this site, I can't believe that they have not recalled the 1995-2003 (excluding the 2000 recalled vehicles) Fords that have been having this problem. Apparently Ford doesn't care to much about their consumers. Kind of made the guy wish he had bought a Chevy! LOL! I hope that Ford realizes they need to PONY UP!

I did some research and discovered that the part that is causing this is the Speed Control Deactivation Switch, AKA Brake Pressure Switch. It is said to always be powered by current from the battery, and is mounted above flammable reservoirs of brake fluid. If certain conditions occurr, a fire can break out, even when the engine had been turned off, and in some cases, idle for DAYS!

Keith of Griffin GA (07/20/05)
I was sitting in my 2000 Ford Expedition at a shopping mall and while waiting on my wife the vehicle caught on fire. For some unknown reason I was able to crank the vehicle and move it away from the building and several other vehicles. The vehicle was a total loss. The fire investigator gave me an incident report that stated the cause of the fire was from the cruise control switch.

After contacting Ford twice they are not concerned nor willing to stand behind their so-called customer service. They say let the insurance handle it and subrogate the claim. After all is said and done I'll lose thousands of dollars because I was told that there cannot be a subrogation because there was a recall.

Donald of Maumelle AR (07/13/05)
The Ford XLT F150 model year 2000 was parked in my garage. The fire alarms in the home began to sound at approximately 9:00 PM. My wife and I went through our home, we did not check the closed garage, we did not detect any smoke or smell. My wife stepped outside our front door and came back in telling me she could smell rubber burning. I followed her out and looked around the home. When I approached the garage black smoke began to roll out of the top of the door. I told my wife to call 911 and raced back into my home to the interior door leading to the garage.

I dropped to my knees and opened the door with black smoke rolling into the hall. I reached up and hit the open switch for the garage door, closed the hall door and went back outside. As the door opened I could hear cracking and popping. Dropped down to the driveway and saw fire dripping down under the engine compartment of the Ford truck. I got inside the vehicle and tried to start it to back it out of the garage when the engine compartment blew. I exited the truck and closed the garage door.

The fire consumed the truck, my wife's Ford Tarus, and approximate twenty-five percent of the home. There is extensive smoke and water damage throughout the structure and heavy loss to none-recoverable personal possessions. I had heard that there was going to be a recall on Ford vechiles and that Ford would be contacting those owners affected by mail. I have never received any contact from the company.

The emotional stress on my wife is requiring medical attention. We have lost none-replacable items relating to out children, family, friends and almost twenty years of marriage that were part of our lives and heritage. We had been in our new home only one year and viewed it as the home in which we would retire. Now we are starting over. It is a shame that corporations are so cavalier in their approach to consumers. I have driven Fords for over forty years, never again.

Peter of Pretty Prairie KS (07/06/05)
Driving from my home in Pretty Prairie Ks, I got about a block or two from my house when my 2000 F150 Lariot starting chugging and miss firing really bad. I tried to give it a little more gas to see if it would getpast what ever the problem was. It then starting making really loud noises. I pulled over to take a look to see what the problem was. As soon as I stopped, I noticed smoke rolling out from under the hood. I told my family to get out of the truck and get away in case the gas tank were to blow up. Within 5 minutes the cab was completely consumed by flames.

The truck is a total loss. The fire department has said there isnt enough left of the components in the engine compartment to determine the cause of the fire. My insurance company is not sounding too promising. It sounds like we may only break even at this point wich leaves me with no replacement vehicle.

Charlotte of Hamburg NY (07/01/05)
My son asked me to contact you. Our garage burned down February 22nd and our 2001 Ford Taurus was in it. The pictures look very much like some that my son saw on a website that had caught fire.

Prentice of Manchester TN (06/29/05)
My 1998 Ford Explorer caught on fire with no one around. I pulled the vehicle up to go see my sister. I went in the house to use the bathroom. By the time I got out, my Explorer was in flames. I was so upset, i had an anxiety attack and had to spend overnight in the hospital. The Manchester fire dept. said it was electrical that started in the dash. I aad my son-in-law popped the hood and the engine was not touched. The interior is completly gone. I had the vehicle not even 2 weeks and the insurance company said it might take 2 weeks to settle.

Michael of Spring Hill FL (06/29/05)
My F150 Lariat burnt to a crisp Saturday night 6/25/05. The Fire Marshal informed me of the recall for the Ford F150. I had no idea this could happen. I called Ford on Monday to be told they would forward the information to consumer affairs and they would call me back. Today, Ford called and informed me they had sent a recall notice in January and another in May of this year, niether of which I received.

I was then informed that they were going by their mailing records showing that they had sent the notices. I was told there was nothing that they were going to do for me since I failed to get the recall work done for the speed control deactivation switch. I repeated that I had not received the notices and since the notices were not returned to them by the post office they say I was notified and there is nothing they will do for me.

Niski of Livingston TX (06/20/05)
On June 16 around 9:30 am I was getting ready for work when a gentleman knocked on my door stating that my 1997 Ford F-150 was on fire 4 feet from my house.I had taken my stepson to work about 6:30am and then parked the truck ,where I always park it ,next to my home. THe truck was engulfed totally in flames when I went outside.

We tried putting it out with the water hose, but it didnt even help it at all. When the fire truck finally arrived , the truck was engulfed and started to melt the siding on my home. I only had liability insurance on this vehicle, since it was paid for. I had bought this truck in 2003 , and never received a recall. I have tried to call Ford several times but never receive any person on the phone to talk to. I dont know what to do. I have contacted a local attorney, but he is unsure of this. I have completely lost this truck and extensive damage has been done to my home.

Cynthia of Wasilla AK (06/19/05)
We owned a 1986 F-150 Ford Lariat pickup, extended cab. It caught fire in our driveway on October 17, 1996. The ignition switch had melted inside the steering column and we had no way of knowing, and it burst into flames and burned to the ground. Just prior to it burning, our children were in that truck and would have been when it caught fire, were it not for a last-minute decision to leave them with a sitter.

Ford had a recall at that time for that exact problem. When we contacted Ford, they lied to us on every level in and out of the state of Alaska, and refused to help us in anyway. We just saw a report on CNN just this minute and Ford's statement to a family that just suffered a fatality as a result of their Ford burning, was exactly what they carelessly said to us 8 years ago. They are still unwilling to deal honestly with the public. We took a loss on our truck as it was paid for and we only carried liability insurance, but the point was, they lied to us and were unwilling to help us, the consumer trusting their products. For this reason, we will never own a Ford again, they are not safe.

As it burned, the electric door locks were shorting out and the doors would not open. The entire dash caught fire within itself around the steering column, the fire could not be reached from the engine compartment, and the cab filled with smoke that was deadening. Then the cab burst into flames and burned very quickly, later spreading to the engine compartment under the hood. I am writing this to let others know, so that some poor unsuspecting mother does not leave her dear little children in her Ford thinking they are safe, and it catch fire and they lose their lives.

Only 3 minutes was all it took for the cab to be on fire, with the door locks shorted out and the doors unable to be opened. Please publish this for others to see for their protection? We tell everyone we see with children in a Ford ranging from 1986-1991 as that was the range of the actual recall years for the ignition switch. Our truck burned due to the ignition switch problem.

Sandra of Sandersville GA (06/18/05)
While I was sitting in my home, I heard an explosion outside. So I went outside to see what the noise was and to my surprise my 1998 ford f150 was on fire, The truck had not been driven for 2 days.

Debbie of Paris TN (06/14/05)
On Feb. 9, 2005 we purchased a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 from an independent dealer in Chattanooga, Tennessee. We made minor repairs to the air conditioner, brakes, interior etc. On June 8, 2005 we were on a short vacation in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. As we were driving down a one lane, one way road, it felt like the transmission slipped. My husband pulled over and as soon as he came to a stop the entire interior of the Explorer filled with smoke.

My daughter and myself jumped out and as I stepped back I could see fire falling from under the SUV. My husband, thinking that transmission fluid from the transmission had caught fire under the SUV rolled back. When he was back far enough that I could see the front of the Explorer flames had already started shooting out of the grill. We immediately ran away, for fear that it would explode. Within 5 minutes the entire Explorer, inside and out was totally englufed in flames.

When the fire department arrived and tried to spray water on it there was a small explosion. It looked as if someone had hundreds of sparklers going off. They later informed us that they have never had this happen with a Ford product, only with Volkswagen. They went on to say that the reason for the explosion and all the sparks was magnesium in the motor. They were not aware that Ford Motor Company used this in their automobiles.

I think Ford Motor Company should be FORCED to produce a more safe automobile. We were very very lucky. The next family may not be as lucky. I think the only thing that kept the gas tank from exploding was the fact that we had just stopped and filled it up with gas. I believe had it been half full, which would allowed the tank to be half full of fumes it would have exploded causing an undetermined amount of damage.

James of Perry MI (06/05/05)
A friend drove by and noticed my 2004 Ford F350 Diesel engine on fire while parked in the driveway. He alerted me and I opened the hood and put out the fire with a fire extinguisher. All the plastic was burned and the smoke smell clearly shows an electrical flaw startet the fire. The batteries had to be disconnected to stop the fire from reigniting again. The oil filter cap burned off and the oil fed the fire. The fuel filter cap almost burned through, luckily the fire was put out before that. Will warranty fix this mess?

Frances of Robert LA (06/02/05)
My 1998 Ford Explorer burst into flames just sitting in the parking lot of -- all places -- the Fire station I volunteer at. It was just sitting their for about 20 min. and a lady started banging on the door saying we had a car fire outside. It was my truck. I was devastated. I was thankful that I was there and that my children were not with me as they were about an hour before.

I read the story you have on this site from Derek of Omaha. That is exactly what happened to me. To the tee that is! I did notice about an hour before that my RPM needle bottomed out past ten and the motor never reved or anything. As fast as it did that it went right back to normal. I just spent 1000.00 getting maint. things done like new windshield, tires, front end allignment and shocks. I love that truck and I had to go buy a new one with a bigger note. I wasn't planning on having a new car for awhile.

I am glad that we were not in the truck but I am angry at Ford. This is not the consumer's fault. I am still paying on that truck due to I didn't have GAP insurence, and paying on a new truck too.

Margette of Houston TX (05/13/05)
My 97 Suburban which was parked next to a Ford truck on the job that caught on fire was damaged. The owner of the vehicle's insurance company, Farmers Insurance, declined my claim to pay for the damage on the truck because they state the facts clearly show the the cause of the damage was not negligence on the insured. (the fire was caused by a mechanical issue that Ford Manufacturers would be responsible for based on the recent recalls in the ford model trucks) It seems that I should not be the one paying for something was not my fault as well.

Amanda of Debary FL (04/24/05)
I have a Ford F150 that caught fire. I contacted Ford and they said they would do nothing until i got an attorney to write them a letter. I am still making payments on a truck I cannot drive.

Robert of Lynnwood WA (04/23/05)
I own a 1997 Ford F150 xlt 4x4. I hadn't driven it for over 24 hours, was in the front yard mowing the lawn when we noticed smoke billowing out of the engine compartment. I immediately opened the hood and noitced the smoke was coming from a sensor on the master brake unit. The sensor was completely melted and smoking.

I disconnected the battery and called a couple Ford dealerships to find out any info (recalls, etc.) They offered no help - suggested that the problem may be a short due to mice, etc. I then got on the internet and began discovering the horror stories of F150 owners and engine compartment fires due to wiring.

Bobby of Blanchard OK (04/23/05)
My 1997 Ford F-150 pickup cruise control quit working and then a couple of weeks later it caught on fire. The Ford dealers I have called say that the recall does not apply to 1997 models but only to 2000 models.

Joseph of Hasbrouck Heights NJ (04/10/05)
My 2000 Ford Expedition went on fire after being parked for several hours. The truck was totalled. The insurance company paid the book value and i was left with a $2000.00 balance. My vehicle was later investigated by insurance company and it was found to be that the recent recall was the cause of fire. I have that in writing.

Heather of Pearland TX (04/06/05)
My 1997 Eddie Bauer Explorer caught on fire. The arson investigator determined it was an electrical fire but he couldnt pinpoint excatly what caused it. I had only owned the car for 5 months and I did not have the cars electrical system worked on or modified in anyway in fact the only thing that I had done to the car was an alignment.

Dan of Pensacola FL (04/06/05)
I purchased a new Ford Explorer in 2003. While on vacation in Nashville TN this month April 2005, I dropped my wife off at the mall and went to get gas and some cash. Because of a large truck at the pumps I pulled over and parked at the edge of the parking lot to go in and get cash from the ATM and then came out to get gas. When I opened my door black smoke began to rush out of my dash.

I immediately had the fire department called. They were there within 5-10 minutes but the entire explorer was totally burned. The SUV was not even running when it caught on fire. I lost thousands of dollars of personal items along with the vehicle. Of course my insurance will only pay what the book value of the vehicle is and with it purchased new I am upside down.

You would think that Ford should and would pay the difference on a vehicle that is only two years old that is totaled by fire from bad electrical wiring.

Beverly of Hacienda Heights CA (04/04/05)
My 1998 Ford Explorer burst into flames in front of my home. The only reason my vehicle was not parked in the attached garage was that I was having work done to the driveway. It was a blessing in disguise. After an arson investigation, it was determined to be an electrical fire of some sort. Ford would not take any responsibility and now 6 months later the continuous stories of Ford vehicles catching fire and recalls of vehicles with the same mechanics is very suspicious.

My vehicle and its contents were completely destroyed. My car insurance only covered the bluebook of the vehicle and none of the contents. Ford suggested I go through my home owners insurance, but I refused since the deductible and possibility of cancellation did not seem reasonable given this was the fault of Ford as far as I was concerned. To this day there has been no further contact with Ford.

The contents was close to $1500. The cost I am incurring due due the purchase of a new car was one I had not budgeted on. I had to come up with a $4,000 downpayment and my payment went up approximately $150 for an additional 3 years. I refused to purchase another Ford. In fact, my husband is now selling his 2002 F-150.

Robert of White Bear Lake MN (03/31/05)
My 1997 Ford F 150 pick up had just had the cruise control fixed. The cruise quit working last fall and I decided to go through the winter before having it fixed. After I got the vehicle back from repair, I parked it back in the garage where it is always kept. The next morning, about 12 hours after the repair, I washed and waxed the truck and then moved it out to the street so that we could come and go with our other three cars. The truck had been drive the length of three houses and parked for 45 minutes when it started on fire. It was not running at the time and was not even warmed up from the 3 house drive 45 minutes earlier. The truck was a total loss.

Normally, the truck would have been in the garage and we would have also lost our home.

Michael of Gurley AL (03/28/05)
My 1998 Ford Expedition XLT caught fire 3/3/05. At the time I was going to bed, if anything had happened at all different, my family and I might not be here to talk about this today. I arrived at home and parked vehicle in garage ~5:15pm. My wife walked on the treadmill (which is in the garage) from 7:15 – 7:45pm and did not smell or notice anything unusual. At 10:00 pm I looked through garage door to make sure lights were out and garage doors shut. I noticed a small red light below the truck. After further investigation, I found it was a flame.

I came back in the house, told my wife to notify the fire department. I used a hose and fire extinguishers to exhaust flame as the fire department arrived. The heat was so intense it melted the garage light lens above the vehicle. The vehicle would not go into neutral due to damage, so I used my neighbor’s truck to pull the vehicle out of the garage. The fire started at the cruise deactivation switch according to a Fire Investigators report.

Kathy of Boerne TX (03/27/05)
Vehicle caught fire (prior to the recall by one week, and ford denied responsibility) in parking lot, is totalled. Ford unwilling to expedite the matter, requesting arson/fire investigator to determine cause. (do not have the ($1200 to pay for this). Vehicle is at selling dealer, and service manager has confirmed source of fire compatible with recall.

Coy of Burleson TX (03/25/05)
I was in the house working on the computer. My dog was outside, barking nonstop. When I looked out the window, I could see flames coming out of the hood of my 2000 Ford F150. By the time the fire department got to my house, my truck was completely destroyed along with all my construction tools that were inside it. It managed to burned up part of my lawn, my tree and all of my neighbor's front lawn.

Thankfully, my truck was parked close to the end of the driveway. Otherwise my house or my neighbor's could have gone up.

I WAS IN MY HOUSE WORKING ON THE COMPUTER, AND GETTING READY TO LEAVE TO PICK MY SON UP FROM SCHOOL. MY DOG WAS OUTSIDE AND BARKING NON STOP. SHE BARKS ALOT SO AT FIRST I IGNORED HER, BUT SHE STARTED GETTING LOADER AS IF SOMEONE MAY HAVE BEEN IN MY DRIVEWAY. WHEN I STOPPED WHAT I WAS DOING AND LOOKED OUT THE WINDOW I COULD SEE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE HOOD OF MY TRUCK. BY THE TIME THE FIRE DEPARTMENT GOT TO MY HOUSE MY TRUCK WAS COMPLETELY DESTROYED ALONG WITH ALL MY CONSTRUCTION TOOLS THAT WERE INSIDE. IT MANAGED TO BURN UP PART OF MY LAWN, MY TREE AND ALL OF MY NEIGHBORS FRONT LAWN. THANKFULLY MY TRUCK WAS PARKED CLOSE TO THE END OF THE DRIVEWAY. OTHERWISE MY HOUSE OR MY NEIGHBORS COULD HAVE POSSIBLY BEEN BURNED IN THE FIRE.

Steve of Loveland OH (03/24/05)
My son parked my f150 in my driveway after putting on front brakes for me. I was awoke at 8:00 pm alerting me about my truck was on fire. The truck had been parked for about an hour or more. Luckily a neighbor saw this and told me. The neighbor's husband is a fireman and he came down with a fire extingisher but it couldn't put it out so we hooked up the water hose and put it out but it was already totaled. We were lucky cause the fire if not cantained would have caught the house on fire.

Chip of Greensburg KY (03/22/05)
On December 4, 2004, I took my 1997 F-250 truck on about a 600 mile trip. During the trip I tried the cruise control, which worked about 5 months earlier & found it to be nonfunctional. The next day I found myself in a position that required engaging the four-wheel drive, however it would not engage. I parked the truck that evening & had not touched it in the following month and a half.

On December 10, 2004 my wife canceled the insurance sense my plan was to leave it parked until spring or I could afford to get it fixed. Then on Jan. 26, 2005 @ 05:00 am, my wife woke me up saying that my truck had just exploded. I went outside & saw the fire in the engine compartment. At that time the main concentration of the fire was on the driver’s side. I notified Ford, to which their reply was sorry for your inconvenience but there are no recalls on your vehicle & it is also out of warranty. The truck is a total loss & damage was done to my property totaling around $15,000.

Randy of Diboll TX (2/13/05):
I bought a 2000 Ford F-150 in 2000. It was the best truck I have ever had. In November 2003 I had parked my truck in front of a friend's house and went inside. About 2 hours later I heard a lot of noise coming from outside, only to find out it was my truck on fire. I was going through a divorce at the time and I had three of my guns and ammo in the truck. The noise that i was hearing was the shells that I had in the truck.

The house I was at was a long way out of town. By the time the fire dept. got there it was too late. The truck was totaled. There was damage to the house, my four-wheeler and another vehicle parked beside my truck. I also lost three guns and amoo, some clothes and my divorce papers.

Haydee of Pembroke Pines FL (3/16/05):
On Wed. March 2, 2005 our 2001 F-150 caught fire in the school parking lot where my husband was taking a class in Ft Lauderdale. The truck was about 90% burned. the whole front was gone including the tires. Our insurance is willing to going forward with our claim which should cover the only their book value on the truck. We also have contacted FORD and everytime we call they say that someone will get back to us.

IT IS A TOTAL disappointment and shame of FORD for not being more sensitive to consumers that at one point have faith in them.

Sifang of Miami FL (3/12/05):
It is a nightmare for my wife and me that our two cars were entirely destroyed at the same time. On Feb, 11 this year, my wife's 2003 Ford F150 caught fire and my Sienna XLE parked nearby was burned. Although the fire station is 200 yards away, when the fire trucks got there, the truck was already like a pile of crumbled metal. The firemen and police said the fire started from under front hood of driver side.

The truck is my wife's mobile office. She put all business documents in truck. Also all contractor instruments, camera with un-saved photos, cash, personal property turned into ash. She was crying and suffering from watching thr fire swallow our two cars.

Douglas of Stafford VA (3/6/05):
Approximately 1 hour after parking my 1996 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 extended cab pick-up at work, I was notified that a vehichle was on fire in the parking lot. The fire dept was dispatched and already had the fire extinguished by the time I got out there. When I parked the truck that morning, there was nothing unusal when I left it. The Fire dept said that they thought it looked like an electrical fire. We only had liability insurance on the truck and therefore we were not compensated for our loss.

There was no way to salvage the truck. A salvage yard paid us $250.00 and towed the vehicle away. We were extensively involved with various scouting programs in our area and used the truck for all these events. It has not only caused us a financial hardship but an emotional one as well. This was our 2nd Ford F-150 and our family has always preferred to drive Fords.

Harold of El Cajon CA (3/1/05):
On 09-09-04 at 6:00 I drove my 1997 Ford f-150 to pick up a pizza. When I returned I parked my truck in the carport of my condo. At 7:15 i heard my neighbor screaming that my truck was on fire. I heard an explosion an ran to my patio to see my carport engulfed in flames. I used my garden hose for about 30 seconds to no avail. Then ran back into the house to make sure my son an grandchildern were out.

I proceeded to get what pictures and valuables i could from the condo. My truck and my son's Volvo were burned to the ground. One half of the condo was destroyed. Over $100,000 to repair. Our family has been displaced for seven months and the condo still isn`t finished. I`m still making mortgage and homeowners payments. It`s about time Ford acknowledges the problem.

Craig of Sugar Land TX (1/29/05):
On July 19, 2004 our 2000 Ford F-150 caught on fire in our driveway after it had been parked for more than a hour. The neighbors saw it throught their kitchen window and alerted us. Luckily the house did not catch fire. It was a complete loss; the fire started under the hood on the drivers side.

Linda of Charlotte NC (1/28/05):
In April 2004 my son awoke at 4 a.m. to a glow in his front driveway. The 2000 F-150 pickup truck I helped him buy (it was in my name) was ablaze. By the time he reached it, the engine and driver's side interior were totally destroyed. I have pictures. I called Ford motor Co and tried to get information and they referred me to my Insurance co. We only had the legal limits of insurance so it was a total loss. I believe Ford knew of this problem in 2004 when I talked to them and would not acknowledge it. As it turns out, many insurance companies would not have covered a factory defect anyway. Finally I heard today that Ford was recalling F150 for fires. Maybe there's a chance.

My son has no transportation and in construction a truck is almost essential.

Denis of Ventura CA (1/28/05):
On December 3rd 2004 my 1995 Ford F-150 truck was backed out of the driveway to let another vehicle out. It was then pulled back in and parked. A few minutes later the neighbor called and said the truck was on fire. My wife, 2 kids and my mother were the only ones home. They called the fire dept. It took a few minutes for them to get there. By that time the truck was fully engulfed in flames. They put the fire out and said it was probably something electrical. The truck is completely destroyed.

We only had liability insurnace on it, so we have recieved no compensation for it. My wife called Ford customer service but they said there was nothing they could do. We filed a report with NHTSA and emailed pictures of the truck. Someone needs to pay for this and replace our truck. Just because there's been no loss of life or injury doesn't make it okay. Ford should take full responsibility. Even though this is not a 2000 truck, it obviously had the same problem and should be covered by the recall.

We have lost our truck and many belongings that were inside and some things that were near the truck in the driveway, including a taillight melted on one vehicle and front turn signal light on another that were parked near the truck.

Stephanie of Seattle (1/28/05):
My roommate was driving me to the airport. We got 2 blocks and smoke started coming out of the hood. We pulled over to see what was wrong, and the cruise speed control was smoking. We turned around to park it in our driveway. I popped the hood to look again, and the smoking stopped. I called a friend to give me a ride in her car. I flew to Kansas City and called my roommate to tell her I made it ok. She told me that 2 hours after I left my truck caught on fire. The flames were 5 feet high. The fire department came out to battle the blaze. My truck is completely destroyed except the bed. My insurance won't cover it.

That truck was completely paid for. I filed bankruptcy a couple years ago, so I can't get a loan. I live paycheck to paycheck. My job is about a 20-minute drive from my house. I have no idea how to get through this. I needed that truck!

Michael of Maryland Heights MO (1/28/05):
My 95 Ford f-150 went up in flames inside the engine compartment. my cruise control wouldn't work and then it did. my brake lights were not working for some reason. It sat for three hours before it burst into flames. I paid $3000 for it. I only had liability so it was a total loss for me.

Chris of Somerset KY (1/16/05):
Jan. 15 2005 - 1997 F-150 goes up in flames. My dad just purchased it a month and a half ago. I drove it for 10-15 mins and parked it at a friend's house and less then 5 mins. later my friend notices a fire outside. I looked outside only to see our f-150 engine compartment in flames. There was a hole burnt through the hood about 2 feet by 2 feet with flames coming out 4 feet into the air. At this time I had them call 911 to get a fire truck there. We ran out and grabbed the water hose and buckets of water and tried to put out the fire. Another 2 mins. go by and the hood, grill, lights, tires and everything else on the front of the truck had been destroyed.

We continued trying to put out the fire for another 15-20 mins before the fire department arrived but by this time everything had been destroyed. This fire burned so hot it melted the intake manifold, head covers and many other metal parts. All wiring anything plastic or rubber, winsheild, dash, headliner, seats had been destroyed.

Wayne of McDonough GA (1/3/05):
My 2000 F150 exploded into flames parked in front of my in-laws' home. Truck had history of minor problems -- broken transmission mount at 60k, repaired under warranty, all scheduled maintenance done at dealer. Other problems were trim-related. The spare tire carrier cable broke at 50k. So as you can see all in all a fairly dependable truck however in October the cruise quit working; did not worry about this as we did not use it except for long trips.

Then on Dec. 31, truck burst into flames after being parked and cold for nearly 3 hours, started under hood driver side front, truck totally destroyed except for the bed. All items inside -- irreplaceable photographs of children and passed-away relatives not to mention other personal articles that can be replaced.

Joseph of Hasbrouck Heights NJ (12/23/04):
I believe my vehicle is part of an ongoing investigation on 2000 Ford trucks. My truck went up in flames after being parked for more than 12 hours.

Michelle of Winter Haven FL (12/3/04):
In 2000, I purchased a new F-150 truck from Jarrett Ford. We only live aproximately 3 miles from work, so as of June of this year, it had we think 52,000 miles. We parked our truck at 5:30 Monday afternoon, and 13 hours later, while off, it burnt to the ground.

Our neighbor heard a popping sound and called the fire department and took pictures. We have called, written, e-mailed, Ford Motor, Jarrett, consumer agencies, anyone, but because no one was killed or injured, on one is interested. What if the vehicle had been parked in our garage? There is no explanation for a vehicle to self-combust.

We are self-employed, and we have not got the resources to replace that vehicle. Unfortunately, we had let our insurance lapse because of finances. And we definately cannot afford a vehicle after the hurricanes. Ford needs to take responsibility on this, but they do not care.

Lloyd of Chula Vista CA (11/30/04):
On or about 11/08/2004 my son drove my 2000 Ford F150 to his work at about 6.00 p.m. and parked it. At approximately 9.00 p.m. he was notified by a customer that a vehicle was on fire in the parking lot, it was my truck. It some how burst into flames after been parked for three hours. My son stated that he ran up to the truck to see fire coming out of the left front wheel well, not too long after it burnt through the fiber glass hood. I am out of a truck and now faced with trying to buy another vehicle.

The vehicle is a total loss and it was totalled by the insurance company. I am sure my premium is going to go up. The bank will pay most of the lease balance off but I am stuck with a residual balance, plus trying to find another vehicle along with a down payment. Does Ford know of this problem?

Charles of Tiki Island TX (11/30/04):
My 1997 Ford XLT Lariat pickup after being turned off for several hours while parked under my home in Tiki Island (home built up on pilings) caught fire and totally destroyed my home and all me and my wife Brenda owned. Killed one dog but my Labrador Sarah was able to leap over our deck railing and down 20 feet into a canal saving her life. Thank God we were not at home when the fired occurred or I would not be able to write this letter.

The fire occurred in May 2002 and Ford has denied any liability. We have expert testimony that the fire started in the Cruise Control Deactivation Switch, even eyewitnesses. These fires are occurring in many Ford Motor Co. vehicles not just pickups. These brake decks have been used since 1992 in many Ford vehicles including Lincolns., Mercurys, SUV's etc.

I am due to go to court in April 2005. Wish me luck, Ford could care less. We seem unable to get any coverage in local newpapers or news stations to make people aware of this problem. I guess Ford does spend lots of money advertising with the papers or stations so they do not want to go against Ford.

Insurance (Allstate) paid full amount of coverage on building, truck, and contents. Ov course did not cover the cost of rebuilding. Can prove $75,000 spent over coverage plus intangables. Ford did settle with Allstate. What about deceptive trade practice? Ford has known about the fault for years.

Mike of Austin TX (10/7/04):
I was driving my 1997 Ford 150 Supercab for about 5 minutes when I smelled a burning odor. I turned off my air conditioner and rolled down the driver side window to see if the smell was outside the vehicle. That is when I noticed a white smoke coming out of the vents in front of the windshield.

I pulled the truck into a parking lot thinking a water hose had broken in the engine compartment. I opened the hood but could not see any steam coming out of the hoses. I then noticed smoke in the cab and opened the passenger side of the truck to see burning embers falling from behind the glove box on the carpet. I tried to put the embers out with a bottle of water. Suddenly there was the whooshing sound of a fire taking off and the cab was filed with black smoke.

I had removed the key but the starter tried to start and the horn went off. Both air bags were set off and the Ford 150 was completly destroyed in less than 10 minutes. All the glass melted, the hood and door handles diappeared, and the only thing remaining in the cab was the frame and springs of the seats.

Douglas of Sharpsburg GA (8/9/04):
My 1997 Ford F-150 Super Cab truck had an engine fire resulting in a total loss of the vehicle. I had been outside of my home talking to a friend on the phone only fifteen minutes before the fire and did not notice any smoke, noise nor smell coming from the truck. It had not been driven that day and only 20 yards or so the previous day. I had no idea of any electrical problems in that my truck had been very reliable up to that point.

Please do not park these trucks in your garage.

David of Gahanna OH (6/2/04):
My F-150 2000 limited edition Lariat caught on fire on June 2nd 2004 approx. 1am. Fire investigator ruled the fire accidental due to electrical short. Truck was bought new and well maintained and serviced on a regular basis using the best products. I'm just concerned if there is a larger problem because I happened to like the f-150 series as this was my 3rd.

Rita of Lutz FL (5/16/04):
My 2000 Ford Windstar caught on fire and burnt completely to the ground. Ford won't even return my phone calls. Attorneys don't want to take my case because there were no physical injuries.

Ryan of Cypress TX (5/13/04):
I am a Houston firefighter. I drove my 1997 Ford F-150 Lariat to the fire station that I work at, and arrived at 6:15 a.m. for my scheduled shift. I parked my truck in the fenced-in fire station parking lot. I work a 24-hr shift. Around 11:40 p.m. that night, I was awake and studying for a promotion exam when I heard a booming sound (like a car backfire). I sprung from my chair and looked out the back door of the fire station to see the front of my truck on fire.

I woke up the other members of the station and put on my fire gear. Myself and a co-worker put the fire out using our firetruck (pumper). The H.F.D. arson division was called out and did an investigation. Their findings showed that arson was not involved, and that the cause was probably electrical in nature.

I am awaiting the outcome from my insurance company, but believe that my truck will be a total loss. In which case, I will pay a $500 deductible, and my insurance company will make me an monetary offer to replace my truck. I think Ford should cover the expense, not my insurance company, but Ford's investigation department hasn't called my back since I reported the incident to them.

Timothy of Valrico FL (6/27/04):
I had my used 1997 Ford F150 truck for one year before it burst into flames because of a defect in the wiring area. (It is not for sure, this is an approximation from the fire chief.) He said he has seen this happen before. My wife had a miscarriage that day and we were home when it happened. Luckily, I did not have it parked in the garage or my house would be gone. A neighbor came banging on my door and told me the truck (that had not been on for at least 2 hours) had flames coming from under the hood and we needed to leave the house (we were parked close).

When we came out we saw the flames under the hood melting it, and the flames were spreading through the a/c vents into the cabin. The whole truck was gone in a matter of 2-3 minutes, it was a hoffific fire. Our insurance coved a fraction of it (which they should not be responsible for) But they did not cover gap, personal property, or anything like that. Gap insurance wouldnt cover it because there was no collision, and the warranty we purchased would not cover it because they claim "fire is an act of God" even though this was a manufacterer's problem.

Ford refuses to help with anything, even though we were not sent ANY recalls about anything. The bills were sent to the right house, but the recalls were sent to a very old address (that we didn't even live in when we filled in all purchasing information) and we never received them. If a lady can sue McDonalds for hot coffee in her lap, how come I cant attempt to recieve compensation for this? Every lawyer tells us we do not have a case.

We are stuck making a car payment for a car we don't have (we cant afford this!) We lost thousands of dollars in personal property that we were not compensated for. And my wife's medical state is not well because of stress and fear. She has had thrush, hives, jitters, etc because of the stress this has caused her. My wife had another miscarriage while trying to get to the bottom of this and has not been able to concieve since. She is terrified of fire and she is constantly having panic attacks about this. She is home alone at night and refuses to sleep in fear that the truck will catch fire. Neither of us will ever park in a garage connected to the house out of pure fear.

Editor's note: The woman suffered very severe burns in the McDonald's accident. Timothy was not injured and suffered only monetary loss. He can sue if he wants to but it will cost more than the case is worth.)

Denise of Crestwood IL (10/17/03):
My husband and I were returning home with our two-day old daughter. We rounded our corner to find fire trucks and police cars in front of our home and my husband's 1997 Ford F-150 singed in the front yard. The truck was parked in our yard because we were trying to sell it, so the damage could have been much worse if a neighbor hadn't seen the truck burning -- the fire had already spread to a tree in our yard.

The truck is useless, we lost the entire value of the truck since we were insuring it for liability only since we were selling it. The income from the F-150 sale was to pay off the note on our 2000 Ford Explorer. We have a 2003 F-150 that I am now terrified will also go up in flames. We have always been Ford owners, should we re-consider? I've seen qiute a bit of information on this site of similar situations.

Anthony of Great Bend PA (10/3/03):
New 2003 F250 Ford truck less than 60 days old caught fire on Sept. 1, 2003 at approx. 9:45 PM. Ford was contacted, investigated - stated it was their defect that caused the fire. At no time was I offered a loaner. It is now Oct. 3, 2003. Ford says they will replace the vehicle. I said okay. Now they say they cannot find a replacement vehicle with the same options at the same MSRP. They stated the closest they can come is within $800.00 more than my MSRP and that I will have to pay the difference.

I did not cause or want the fire - it is not my fault they cannot find a repalcement vehicle at the same MSRP. This whole thing is not my fault!

George of Bonner Springs KS (9/11/03):
We had our 1995 F150 repaired on July 7, 2003 - it had problems with the tail lights and the ignition switch. They replaced fuse 13 with a 15-amp fuse for $198 and sent it home. On July 18, 2003 we took the vehicle back for the same problems - they now replaced fuse 13 with a 20-amp fuse and sent it home. There was no charge for this work. On August 22, 2003, we parked the truck in our driveway (thank God) and about 2 hours later the neighbor called over to tell us the truck was on fire.

We called the dealership and they came out and looked at the truck - they were amazed at the damage. However, they came back and said they were not responsible for the fire. So we are out of luck and out of the truck. Now, we are hearing about many more Fords that have caught fire after they have been parked. Why doesn't Ford do something about this?

Total loss of the engine portion of the truck and some damage to the dash and interior. The fire department and my husband did a great job is saving the body and bed of the truck.

Jason of Corpus Christi TX (6/12/03):
It was an early Sunday afternoon for me, and me and my friends decided to go fishing. While on my day off, I get up to leave my house around 12 o'clock in my 2002 Ford F-150. My route of destination was about 25 minutes from my house. I'm driving toward my friends house when I begin to smell smoke, something I believed was coming from outside...so I thought nothing of it. Minutes later, while on the Highway, smoke begins to escape my air conditioning vents. Frantically I pull over to the side.

People are honking their horns and pointing to the bottom of my truck. I open my door and gentlemen driving by said I had a fire underneath my truck. I looked under my truck and sure enough there was a fire right underneath the bed of the truck, without hesitating, I moved clear of the vehicle knowing that the gas tank was near the fire. I immediately called 911. Within 5 minutes the inside of the truck was burned to a crisp. Nothing was salvageable, including my $2000 audio system I installed not even a year old.

Peggy of Rapid River MI (1/7/04):
Last night we plugged in the engine heater on our truck, this was the first time we had used the heater. In about 45 minutes we saw smoke and flames, running in the garage, we saw the whole engine was burning. We got our car out, and tried to extinguish the fire, we lost everything in the garage, thank God the house was saved. I did grab the extension cord the truck was plugged in with, and brought it out, it had not started from the cord, it was definately under the hood. My son had heard a pop sound just prior to us finding the fire, but didn't pay much attention to it.

Our truck, 4-way western plow, and a garage full of tools, sporting equipment, storage, household good, 10 cords of fire wood, and a 1,000 gallon propane tank, (full! it took 12 hours for that to burn out) plus 28 years of acquired "stuff" is gone, we suffered smoke inhalation, my new car has some damage to it. My husband is disabled and has had quite a setback after the stress he had.

Douglas of Columbia SC (7/9/02):
I purchased the car as a gift for my wife. After having the vehicle barely 3 years my wife drove it to work, parked it in a parking space and 7 hours later the vehicle burst into flames! Now we have no truck.

The blessing is it did not happen to my Baby on the highway on her way to work and kill her. I lost about $34,000 dollars I paid into it. In less than 5 minutes all that hard work, suffering, dealing with people who could kill me (I'm a police officer) our work goes up in flames!

Rob of Surrey, BC, Canada (4/4/03):
I had borrowed my brother's 1982 Ford F150 pickup truck to run some errends a while back. After filling in some gas the truck stalled while leaving the station. I pumped the pedal in hopes of the truck starting again when there was a loud pop from under the hood, that I took to be a backfire through the carb. Turned out not only was it that exactly but a whole lot more to boot!

When the truck did backfire the gas it sent through the carberator was on fire causing everything else around the area of the carb to burn also. Fried wires and bubbled paint on the hood were just a few of the damages along with a destroyed carb and air filter assembly it cost me over five hundred dollars to fix.

Curtis of Baytown, TX, writes:
On 05/03/00 I was driving my new 2000 Ford F-150. A friend and I had left a club and were following another friend home. It was about 2:00 in the morning. I approched a stop sign, slowed almost to a stop and then turned left. As I was accelerating away from the stop sign the truck jerked a little and then popped very loud and died.

When the truck popped we saw a bright flash. I immediately tried to start the truck again and while I was trying to start it I noticed smoke comming from around the hood so I pulled the hood release and ran and opened the hood and saw a fire. The fire was a very fast-burning fire similar to a cutting torch.

My friend Dennis said put the hood down so I did. I ran to the truck and grabbed my cell phone and called 911. I burned my hands, but not very bad. The truck had just recently turned over 2,000 miles and I had paid ahead two months on the note. And just as you might had guessed I financed it through Ford Motor Credit.

I lost everything in my truck and had to sit in the back of a cop car until the arson crew said it was not arson and now am without a vehicle that is paid for until the end of June. I contacted Ford Customer Service later that day and someone called me back on the 4th. They told me they were sorry and told me to pay the tow bill of $300 and pay to have it moved to the Ford dealership.

I told them that I should not have to pay to have it towed and she told me "not to throw a wrench in their procedure because it would only prolong the process." Well, I called my insurence company and they told me not to pay for anything that they would make a few phone calls and have it moved for me and they did!

Now it is Tuesday the ninth and the Ford Consumer Affairs Legal Division will not call me back, the customer service department will not transfer me or give me the phone number any more. The Ford inspecter was out to inspect the truck this morning and still no word. Ford will not even authorize a rental car for me and I do not have rental coverage on my insurance policy.

I just thought you would like to know that there is a 2000 Ford Taurus at the same dealership that only has 1,400 miles on it that burned also. The dealership, Tommie Vaughn Ford, here in Houston is very pleasent to work with. They are an A-1 dealership in my book, but the mother company is not communicating with me at all now.

Kim of Aromas, CA, writes:
I have a 1992 Ford F150 pickup that went up in flames about an hour after my husband drove it home from work and parked it. Thank God we did not park it in the garage like we normally do and we were lucky we were home when it started on fire since we live in a secluded, brushy area.

The insurance company wants us to sign over ownership of the truck to them without finding out what started the fire in the first place. The truck was very well maintained and we have lots of people who have come to us and told us they would testify to that fact. My maintenance records were in the truck, however we went back to the places we dealt with and got copies to send to the insurance company.

By the way the truck had a little over 80,000 miles on it. We were also told by several people that NBC with Tom Brokaw had a special on this same type of situation on his Fleecing of America program. We did not see the show. I ahve e-mailed them requsting more information. This could have been a major disaster if we had not been here when the truck caught fire.

Many homes and possibly lives could have been lost. The fire department here in Aromas said it looked like it started in the right side of the engine.

I'm not sure what I should do next. Do I sign away ownership of my pickup to the insurance company so they can do whatever they what, or should I pursue the manufacturer of the pickup?

Consequences: Total loss of my pickup with little money to replace my vehicle. Loss of property in the pickup that insurance won't replace.

Actually, the NBC program probably referred to the largest auto recall in history (see story). That involved flaming Fords, but the fires started in the steering column, not the engine.

Due to the age of Kim's vehicle, it would be difficult and expensive to bring a case against Ford. Her best option is probably to get the best settlement she can with the insurance company. Any additional losses are tax deductible.

there is a recall on the cruise control switches. If you have a F-150 , go to a Ford dealer and see if it applies to your vehicle. 05S28 is the recall number.

Dare you to tell them where you heard about it !!!! :devil:

KRCummings said:
So there's no way you coulda cut that post down by a few words?

Well I could just've posted

"go here"

and not bothered to mention why anyone shold bother...besides, not everyone can link that site. You can always find somebody who can't follow a link for some reason, whether due to security settings on their PC, incompatbilities, blocked adverters IP addresses, etc...

I own a Dodge Ram truck.... sorta simular to the F-150 :(

Oh and I love hot asain porn :D

so, Ford is not claiming any responsibility for these incidents? How charming!!

Back