Ghost Lover-Closed For Brightwell

Perplexia

Romance embellisher
Jessica
Lynn Strouse sat in the window sill of her 5th avenue walk up over looking Manhattan. She had lived in the city for seven years admiring the hustle and bustle of the famous city.

After graduating 1st in her class at NYU for business she had obtained a 'dream job' at one of the top 5 Fortune 500 companies. Even with the 'perfect job', 'perfect apartment', and 'perfect boyfriend', Jacob Van Boyle an up and coming lawyer, at the young age of 25 she was still missing something.

Her apt, though she called it 'perfect' was really only perfect for her. Her friends tried encouraging her to no avail to purchase some upgraded real estate to reflect her status in society. But Jessica was a minimalist. She didn't mind that her apt was small, or that it took forever to climb the five flights of stairs with a bag of groceries.

Looking at her old Timex watch she realized she was late for her date with Jacob. He had sounded excited when he talked to her about having something important to ask her. God she hoped it wasn't a proposal, they had only been dating for three months. He was nice and chivalrous, good looking, successful, and perfect on paper. But when she kissed him, she felt nothing. It wasn't that he wasn't a good kisser, or a generous lover, he simply didn't inspire her. There were no butterflies when she looked at him, no aching between her thighs yearning for him, there was simply the contentment and companionship.

Quickly rising she put on her heels and hurried down the stairs to hail a taxi. The brisk air nipped at her ankles reminding her briefly of a childhood moment at the Inn in Lily Dale, NY that her great aunt owned. It had been a magical place that she had visited as often as her mother would let her. That was until her mother and great aunt had an epic fight regarding her absentee father. Or at least that was the just of it.
She talked to her mother, a hopeless romantic, about once a month. She was normally out on a new adventure with a new younger man she had fallen madly in love with. The phrases "he's the one" and "he understand me like no other", were common tunes she heard each time. At some point she stopped listening. Perhaps there was no such thing as true love, or butterflies. Yet still she found herself drawn to romance movies and stories.

The taxi halted in front of One if by land and Two if by sea luxury restaurant. It was said to be one of the most romantic restaurants in Manhattan. After paying the driver she made her way inside where she was shown to the table that Jacob was currently waiting at. He rose as any good gentleman would and pulled her rustic wooden chair out for her. The lights from the chandlers sparkled creating the ambiance of a romantic cafe in Paris.

She smiled and thanked him as she sat. Once seated they browsed the menu as he talked about how much he loved his job. How she wished she had that kind of passion for hers. How she wished she had any kind of passion for anything. As their meal came she found her first bit of passion as she dove into her Whole Boneless Poussin, or in layman's terms a really good pot pie. She simply wasn't in to the whole fancy cuisine where they charged you an enormous amount of money for a bite of food. It was called art, but why would she want to eat art and still be hungry?

"Jessica" Jacob said refusing to call her Jess or Jessie like any of her friends or co-workers. His voice was more serious and eyes intense as he looked into her emerald ones. "When I first saw you, I knew i had to have you. You are so beautiful and elegant. I can see us one day having children together. Will you move in with me?"

Well it wasn't as bad as a marriage proposal would have been, but still he talked about her like she was a Ferrari. Elegant? did he know her at all, she was eating a glorified pot pie, and lived in a 5 story walk up. She preferred jeans to trousers, and shorts and tank tops to more sophisticated casual wear. This would be the expected path, the way life was suppose to be. Shouldn't she be ecstatic at the opportunity?

"Jacob" she said lightly "All though I appreciate the offer, I don't see you in the same light. I'm just not in to the high society lifestyle that you, I've been happy with the time that we shared, but I don't think this is working." Reaching into her purse she pulled out cash to cover her part of the meal and laid it on the table. "I really hope you find what you're looking for." The look on his face was that of confusion and horror. He's just been rejected and broken up with in one brief conversation. She was sure he'd never been broken up with before.

Rising from the table she picked up her purse and headed out of the restaurant. It was she could do to not run. The taxi ride home was uneventful, now comfortably back in her apt she played the messages from her answering machine as she changed into a pair of shorts and a tank top.

"Miss Strouse, my name is Reginald Ostenheimer. I'm with Ostenheimer and Sons Estate Lawyers. I have some important business to discuss with you, please call me back at your earliest convenience at ##########. "

What could an Estate Lawyer want with her? The question boggled her mind as she settled in to bed. Tomorrow was Friday, and for once she didn't have any plans for the weekend. Oh how she was looking forward to that.
On her way to work the next morning she made a call to the Lawyers office.

"Thank you for returning my call so promptly Miss Strouse" Ostenheimer responded as he picked up her transferred call. "I regret to inform you of the passing of your Great Aunt Hilda St. Claire. When can we meet to go over all that you are to inherit?"

"Wouldn't my mother be the one to inherit?" she questioned saddened and a bit overwhelmed.
"No your Aunt specifically designated in her will that you were the only heir."
"Well I will need to take some time off work, may i call you back this afternoon?"
"Yes that will be find thank you"

After the morning meeting she spoke with her boss about taking some bereavement time due to a death in the family. Since she had banked vacation time her boss agreed to let her take a couple weeks off. Part bereavement and part holiday he divulged. She had apparently never taken a day off and had more time on the books then anyone else. "take today off too" he advised with a grin and she shrugged and obliged. She needed to rent a car and pack anyway.

When she called Mr. Ostenheimer back she asked if she'd be able to stay at her aunts inn. He advised that he'd have someone meet her there in the morning with the keys. He would meet her on Monday to go over everything with her.

She was saddened deeply over her Great Aunts passing. She had managed to talk to her a couple times a month over the years. She was almost 97 to the best of her knowledge. Though she never complained of any ailments or health issues. She was truly a remarkable woman. The stories Hilda told over the years were music to her ears. The stories were about the Inn, and how it had been passed down for generations, as well as stories about famous people that had stayed there over the years. Her Aunt had closed the Inn to the public about five or ten years ago. It was too much for a woman of her age to keep up with.

Tears trickled down her face as she packed her suitcase. Promises had been made about coming up to visit, she just never managed to have time. Though her aunt never made her feel bad about it. The idea was there and she had always intended to make the time. Now it was too late.

Early Saturday morning arrived and the SUV was ready when she arrived at the rental place. It was a long six hour drive to Lily Dale. The town had less then 300 permanent residents but had about 35000 visitors a year. It was the oddest thing for the beautiful little town. But it was a secluded getaway. As she drew closer to the town memories seemed to drift back. Although she had been a bit old for an invisible friend. He existed for her still the same. They went on hikes in the woods, he was there to listen when she had cried over her father not wanting her in his life, or when her mother was being completely neurotic. Even though she excepted that he wasn't real. He still remained her favorite person. The one time she had brought him up her mother literally laughed at her telling her how foolish and immature she was. Her aunt merely smiled, never commented and only listened.
Jessica wasn't sure if her aunt believed her or not, but she didn't make her feel like a fool. That was one thing that drew her to her aunts loving embrace.

As she drove up to the Inn she noticed that very little had changed. The drive was now paved instead of gravel. The barn seemed a little worn but still standing and mostly in good shape. The swing that she swung on as a child swayed in the breeze. The wind chimes sang their tune. For the first time in a long time it felt like she was a home. The sound of an old worn F150 drew her attention as it pulled up behind her SUV.
A handsome rugged lumbar jack size of a man stepped out. Wiping his hand off on his torn Jeans he extended a hand. "Miss Strouse, I'm Jack Lane, I was the care taker for Ms. Hilda. I have the keys for ya." He reached in his pants and pulled out a ring of old fashioned keys and handed it to her. "I'm awfully sorry to hear about your aunt miss."

"Thank you Mr. Lane."
"Just Jack Miss"
"thanks Jack"
"She mentioned you now and again when i was out here fixin somethin. Was awfully proud of all you've accomplished."

That made her smile a little bit. Jack ran a hand through is grizzly beard as he seemed off in thought for a moment. "Oh Ms. Nelly from the general store sent me with a bag of groceries for ya. Said no worries it was on the house."

"That was really kind of her" Jess responded as he went to his truck and brought out two large filled to the rim paper bags. "I'll just put these in the kitchen for ya and be on my way if you'd open the door." Jack said in a determined voice.

"oh ..ok well thank you Jack." Making her way up to the porch she looked at the giant key ring and found one with a label maker sticker on it that said Frt. Dr. and opened it. The familiar smell of lavender rushed in to meet her nostrils giving her an overwhelming sense of calmness. The chime on the door waned down as it stilled.

Jack made his way back to the kitchen as her eyes looked at the once familiar surroundings. Making her way out to the SUV she grabbed her bags and brought them in. Her bags were old, she never bought new ones cause she never really went anywhere. Jess' fingers slid up the cedar staircase railing as she pulled them up the stairs one thump at a time till she reached the very top. The corner suite was the one she had always stayed in, so without thought she made her way there and looked through the keys until she found the one for her room and made her way inside. It was almost exactly how she left it. Opening up the window she let the breeze in letting some of the stale air out from the lonely room.

"I'll be leaving now Miss" Jack called from downstairs. "Ok ty again Jack and tell Ms Nelly ty for me too." "Will do" with that the door shut and bells rang. She stared out at the trees watching a leaf fall down to its new home on the ground. Fall had just started, and soon winter would be upon the little town of Lily Dale. Winter was always her favorite time of the year.

"The Federalist are going to win Mr. St Claire, rest assured of that. With Washington out of the picture we move up Mr. Adams. As day follows night, Sir." The man in the brown jacket answers.

Alexander St. Claire leans back in his chair and shakes his head. "Son, I think you got rodents in your belfry. They keep spinning out the same story, over and over. " he takes a pull of ale from the pewter cup. "Please, Stephen Van Rensselaer release me from this garden of festering vegetation you keep heaping on me. You keep on and on about Washington is out, and this banner waving about the Federalist this and the Federalist that. I care not a frig about that." He pauses and looks at the man.

"To be perfectly honest with" he pauses again and looks over his cup at the man in the brown coat. He clears his throat "The problem Mr. Van Rensselaer is your man, I say again, your man..." He stands up quickly and point toward the barn. "Your man, your Federalist brother, your Mr. John Jay is against the Upper Cassadaga Lake community. ''He turns and walk four paces a way then spin and with an angry stare then points a firm finger. "I sir am a Spiritualists a believer that freethought as a natural freedom from all negative and illusive thoughts acquired from the society."

Stephen Van Rensselaer remains seated and throws open his arms resting his elbows on the chair arms. "Alexander, what is this. WE need your help. It is part of the Buffalo plan. We get the canal going, trade with our British friends, help the folks on the Lake with their trade. WE want to help you folks, your beliefs are your business."
Alexander's eyes blaze wide " That man wants us the worship in our cellars. We have folks all up and down cottage road and the lake and your British friends want to burn us out!" Alexander moves toward the door the stops. "There are British spies in your military units in Buffalo, Mr. Van Rensselaer" and with that Alexander St. Claire walks out the door.

Stephen Van Rensselaer leans back in his chair.What a strange fellow he is, yet he holds too many keys

Last edited:
After making up her bed Jessica took a nap. It had been a long exhausting journey. The house brought back a lot of happy memories for her. In her dreams she could vaguely see the face of her invisible friend as he held her hand and led her through the woods. She dreamed of tidbits here and there, flowers he would tell her name of, berries and ivies he warned her not to eat or touch. He had pushed her on the swing and it caused her to giggle. When she awoke she was smiling.

"i can't remember the last time i had a dream like that" she muttered to herself. Shaking her head she yawned and made her feet touch the floor. Alright, time to eat. She made her way down the stairs to the kitchen and was glad to see Jack had put away the groceries. Opening the fridge she found some meat and decided on making herself a cheeseburger. Oh how she loved simple foods.

After dinner she washed her dishes and made her way to the library. She always loved this room, But had never had much time to explore it as a child. "go outside and play" her mother would tell her. As she reached up for a book her toe stubbed against a covered wooden chest. Taking the items off the top of it she uncovered the old wooden chest. An old lock was fastened to it. Frowning Jess stood up and a new focus was created. Find the key..

Heading upstairs she grabbed the key ring and looked through the various keys. Of course the key wasn't there. It would be too easy. "if i was a secret chest where would i have my key hidden" she muttered to herself. Finding her Great Aunts room she unlocked and opened the door. She couldn't remember a time that she had ever been in here. The walls were covered with photographs, but rather then spend time looking at them her focus was on finding the key.

It took her about a half hour of searching through her grandmothers belongings before she finally found it taped to the bottom of an old mantle clock. She would make it her focus probably tomorrow to start going through the things and deciding what she needed to keep or get rid of.

Making her way back to the library she began to unlock the chest.

Dunkirk Landing

Topinabee sat quietly looking the quiet waters. A few feet away Alexander St. Claire puffs on a clay pipe. "My French friends are not happy." The great chief says. "The voice of Jefferson fads in the wind. Your people turn your back to your friend and embrace your enemies."

Alexander nods his head. "It is true my friend, I live among the Federalist, they bend to kiss the ass of the great white king across the water. They talk of John Jay and of the great John Adams from Massachusetts. I believe this is as you say smoke." He pauses to pull more smoke in to his lungs, then blows it out.

"So here we sit by the waters edge to buy smuggled alcohol, opium, and livestock. We smugglers deprived the Federalist American government of its import duties—but are popular with people along the border since they generated jobs and keeps price low for our friends. And some time a nice profit, like tonight. A case of whiskey purchased in Quebec for $1 could be sold for $12 on our side of the border tax free."

Topinabee nods" And for me the much needed short tailed sheep, Markets in Buffalo too high. All too thin no meat, poor quality" He stands and walks to the waters edge. "The great spirit, smiles on us! I see a light! "

In ten minutes the boat lands and American coin is traded for northern whiskey.
Topinabee gets five fat sheep and heads west. Alexander heads south to the Upper Cassadaga Lake community.

When he gets home he places two of the bottles in that new chest he bought. He raps two newspapers around each bottle.

Jess placed the key in the lock and twisted it. Reluctantly it finally gave way and opened. Removing it she worked on getting the chest open. Finally the latch popped open and she began to lift the lid. The smell of old wood reached her nostrils in a giant burst, causing her to turn her head, wrinkle her nose, and pierce her lips.

When the initial shock of the smell drifted away she finished lifting the lid. Inside were two bottles wrapped in newspapers. Carefully she unwrapped the yellow old papers and glanced at the date '1762'. "holy hell" she muttered as she lifted the first bottle free to see an old label. From what she could make out it looked like it said whiskey. But it had to be as old as the paper it was wrapped in.

She wasn't really a hard liquor drinker, so there was no temptation to empty the bottles. From what she could remember from history Jefferson lost the election that year to Adams. Jefferson had always been one of her favorite presidents. There was no real reason that she could spout out as to the reason for that. He just simply was.

Carefully removing the other bottle, she unwrapped it as well. Laying the papers on the floor she grabbed some books and laid them on top of the paper in effort to straighten them out. It would be interesting to try and read them later she mentally told herself.

"Why only two bottles in the chest?" Jess questioned out loud. Maybe whomever it belonged to never got around to adding more to it. Shaking her head lightly she rose from the floor dusting the fuzz from her knees. Her eyes wandered around the room and to the books randomly until an old leather bound journal caught her eye.

Taking a step stool it took the full length of her toes to get the tips of her fingers around the binder. As she finally grasped it, she began to loose her balance.

journal 4

Journal 4

cont..

his eyes were so sad, he looked at me. I have no idea what he is trying to tell me. I gather the news is not good. He did not speak, he stood on the stairs then drifted back up, then he was gone.

July12,1805

The sun came out today. I think I will go down to the market. No sign of David today.
Anne is back, I saw her in town. Will that woman never leave us in peace

July 14, 1805

Will and Tara stopped by yesterday. They say that Libby is doing much better and will be going back home in a few days. Will is a great friend, he brought a bottle and we drank while Tara danced. have not seen David in a few days.

July 15, 1805

Ann stopped by I told her to leave. I don't want her here.
Later
Pastor Mathew stopped by he said that all the taxes had been payed and that the land near the river could be cleared. I have three days to decide what I want to do.

July 16,1805

I saw David in the trees, and he was gone. I think he wants me to leave the house. I do feel better.
Later
Will stopped by with a bottle. He said Libby had left and gone home. She should have the baby in a few months. Will hasn't said who the father is. I still think that sailor Marco Meeks is the father. Will wiln't say. I think he thinks its Henry's. That would be a sad day for Libby and the baby.

July 17,1805

Had to get out of the house. Went over and looked at the land by the river. I still am not sure what to do. It sounds like a fair deal. I only have 508 gold left. I need the money for the boat. Parson gave me two more days.

July 18, 1805

David was in the cellar! He saw me and fled. I called out to him. I will have visit the grave. Maybe he will find peace.

July 19,1805

I decided! I will buy the land near the river. I stopped by David's grave and felt inspired. Pastor said I could take over the land by weeks end.

July 20, 1805
Ann that snake, I found her in the barn, she is an evil woman. I told her to leave. I told her to leave me in peace. Damn her evil soul she took off her clothes. She is still an evil woman.

Falling on her bum with her journal in hand. Jess sat there for a moment grumbling at her clumsiness. Then she Traces the letters on the front ASC. Carefully she wipes the dust off the journal and unties it. Journal 4. 'That must mean there are other journals somewhere.'. Rising up she scanned the inlaid book case and began to find them. There ended up to be six journals in total.

Normally she liked to start at the beginning but since she already started journal 4 she went back and picked it up. With all six journals in her hand she made her way to the kitchen and set them down on the island. Pouring herself some ice t. She sat down and began again with journal 4.

The writing was that of mans she was guessing. But very legible. Perhaps it was the original owner of the in. Land by the river. She traced those words. There was a river that ran from mud lake to Cassadaga lake. Which was close to the inn? She was going to need to go back into town and to the hall of records on this one. Perhaps she'd do that after her meeting on Monday. But what she could do is find the grave yard.

With a flashlight in case she got caught in the dark. She put on her fall jacket and hiking boots. Starting her way into the forest. Whomever he was provided her with a mission. To find out who he was, and more history of the Inn she was most likely to inherit.

The wind had picked up a bit and nipped at her fingers as she entered the woods. Memories of her invisible friend came into her mind. He seemed to love these woods. He said he tree had a story, and each had seen history unfold. Perhaps that was why history had been her favorite subject in school. There it was. The cemetery. Well it was more of a family grave yard.

There were quite a few St. Claires. She began pulling weeds and uncovering some of the old forgotten graves. Alexander St. Claire. She read out loud from a large tombstone. ASC, it must be his journals she was reading. There was a grave next to his that she dusted off the headstone to that read David St. Claire. The date wasn't clear so she could discern whether it was his brother or his son.

The sun had set before she cleared away most of the brush and weeds. With the flashlight she slowly made her way back to the Inn. She really should have worn a heavier jacket. She forgot just how cold it got up here. When she made it to the Inn she unlocked the door and looked for the heating control. When she couldn't find it she went ahead and lit the fire places.

After making herself a hot coca Jess took a seat in front of the fireplace and began to read the rest of Journal 4.

July 21, 1805
When I woke she was in the kitchen bare ass naked. We broke the table.

Later

I went to see the Parson. I have so many sins on my soul.
We talked for two hours. I went to the Black Horse Tavern and Will and Henry are there we share a table. I told Henry that the table broke. I did not say how or why. Will had that smile on his face. I think he may have guessed. Henry said Brother Karl S. Hartmetz could build him a Amish table and it would last a life time.

Anne was naked in my bed. We broke the bed

July 22, 1805
Anne was naked in in the kitchen again. be broke two chairs and the bread box
later

I took a walk in the woods. He was in his tree. He just looked at me. Never said a word. I think he is angry she is back. I walked over and sat under the tree. I told him I am weak. I feel ravaged by sin. Slowly he climbed down and put his head on my shoulder. He said three wordsShe is evil
I closed my eyes and prayed. When I opened them he was gone.

July23,1805

Three members of the Cassadaga Lake Spiritualism Culture Society stopped by, we talked in the front room since the kitchen was out of the question. They said they were looking for new members. And would I be interested in joining. I told them I would have to speak to the Pastor. We all heard the back door close. Anne had left.

July 24, 1805

I went to Cassadaga to see Brother Hartmetz about a table and two chairs and a bed. Stayed in the coach inn for the night

July 26, 1805

I went to look at the boat. 250 gold.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
present day:

Alexander woke with a start, Smoke! Fire in the fire place! Alexander could feel the heat. Alexander rushed down the stairs. There was a woman in uncle Max's chair! She looks just like Anne! It could not be ANNE, has been dead since 1825. They never found the body
Alexander had a frightening thought. Could Anne's spirit have found the INN and Alexander after all this years? Alexander panics, the rest of my time with ANNE HE HOWLS AS LOUDLY AS HE CAN

GET OUT ANNE! LEAVE THIS HOUSE!

Last edited:
"Get Out Anne, Leave this house" came bellowing through the house. Jess jumped dropping the journal to the floor and somehow managing to get to her feet to turn around and see a man. The man, her invisible friend. Rubbing her eyes and trembling she looked again and he still stood there.

"You're not real, you were just my invisible friend." She announced rather boldly though still filled with fear. "You aren't real, are you? No you can't be. This can't be happening."

she paced back and forth on the carpet, "I'm losing my mind, you're invisible, not real. Or were they wrong?" Carefully and slowly she took a couple steps closer to him. He still looked exactly the same, though now that she'd gone through puberty she could gather he was quite the handsome man.

"I'm Jessica Strouse, i use to visit here as a child. You called me 'monkey' and would take me on hikes in the woods, and push me in the swing. I'm sorry it's been so long I've forgotten your name if i knew it. I just remember calling you my mr. I'm sorry, i'm here because Great Aunt Hilda St. Claire passed. I'm pretty sure she left me the inn. I go on Monday to the estate lawyers. I'm sorry i'm babbling. Who are you, and do you remember me?"

"Anne I know your trickery" Alexander states hesitantly. "I see you, you move like a cat!" Alexander takes a step downward. He turns slightly with both hands on the rail. His fingers feel the wood, the smoothness, the texture.

He takes another step down sliding his hands down the rail. "You will not dwell here, the evil you laid at my door was wash out long ago. There is, but one road for you. You must find your own peace. Every visit you make drags all the spirits deeper. I was in what must of been a well. I hear your words. But I have learned of the wind. And they are like the wind. They fill the sail, but are empty, hollow."

Alexander stares down at her and takes a breath and listens. "Jessica Strouse? Is that your new name Anne? A thought comes to his mind then a smile, his eyes narrow. "I will give you a test!" Then quite quite pleased with himself. "YES, a test!"

"As you well know, a name can be changes, a look can be changed, but not the body, all wounds and scars remain the same. How we pass, is how we are. If I recall on a visit, during one of our...." Alexander smiles lightly. " sustained fornications. You injured yourself. Once on the bread box and once with the chair. These injuries are still there or they are not. Now then, Jessica Strouse if that is you true name. Prove your self!"

Alexander moves slowly down the last steps till he stand quite still looking at her. He smiles knowingly. "Make your self naked. Naked before god and the spirits that dwell here. Get naked like you did for so many men. For I know every line and tuck, every curve and mark. "

Alexander moves closer. "I know you Anne, and I don't need the pastor here to help me. Get naked and prove me wrong, I can wait. We may yet break more furniture or not!

"I beg your pardon" she stated rather firmly getting quickly over the shock of seeing her invisible friend. "I will do no such thing mr. whoever you are. Get out of my Inn, before I call the authorities, you self righteous pervert."

She use to think her self calm and collected. But this man lit a fire in her that made her sure she was capable of violence. Stepping back visibly shaken she grabbed the fire poker and held it up like a sword.

"Maybe you aren't who i thought you were. That man was full of kindness and respect. He would never dream of speaking to a lady that way. You sir are no gentleman."

"Pardon? A 'a pardon' is an act of man, not of the spirit world. Evil can not be pardoned. Anne you are a corruption of what is good."

Alexander listens and is taken back. "You are saucy, Anne! This in not your Inn, this is not my Inn. This is David's Inn. All I learned, I learned from David. The most important words he ever spoke to me were "She is evil!"

Alexander moves toward the fire place. Then looks back at the woman. "God took five ribs from Adam. The fifth was Eve. And they dwelled in the eyes of our lord. The first was the sin of man. And she was called Anne. You are the beauty. You are the very embodiment of evil. David told me this, the pastor told me this, the spirits tell me this."

Alexander rests his hand on the mantel of the fire place and looks to the floor. He stares at a single piece of hard wood as he listens then smiles. "Gentleman? That is a city word. A place for roosters and 'propers'. You are so right, there Anne. I am no gentleman. I have been a lot of things, never a proper gentleman."

Alexander slowly raises his gaze to look at the woman. "The test stands Anne. Make your self naked before god and those that dwell here or leave never to return. David will never allow you to dwell here. I will not allow you, to dwell here. If you are Jessica Strouse and you are here because of the saintly good woman Great Aunt Hilda St. Claire has passed. Then the test is with merit. "

Alexander takes a step closer and looks into the woman's eyes. "The test is not new. Hilda St. Claire took the test 72 years ago. Bethany St. Clair took the test 102 years ago. Virginia St. Claire took the test 135 years ago. Every St. Claire woman took the test from 1825."

Alexander softens his look. "If you are the 'monkey' I remember from the past, you must pass the test. You may keep your name. Thou the house will know you as Jessica St. Claire. The Inn will know you as Jessica St. Clair. The barn will know you as Jessica St. Claire. And most important. Far more important then the all of that. The spirits and David will know you as Jessica St. Claire."

Alexander pauses. " Call me a self righteous pervert if you like." Alexander smiles lightly. "You are not the first, Ellen Dodson on bended knee draining me of seed. Said those same words. I placed my hand on the back of her head while she choked on my tool. I gave her air. And those were here very words. You are a self righteous pervert that was 1798. She married Thomas Hicks and gave him 4 children, but not a day in the market did she not smile at me."

Last edited:
Spirit world? He was a ghost. Her invisible friend was a ghost. But why could she see him? More importantly her great aunt had seen him, and disrobed for him? Why didn't she ever tell her that he wasn't a figment of her imagination. Here she had thought she was a strange child that was compensating for the lack of a father figure.

There it was.. the softness when he acknowledged he remembered his monkey.

"Who are you?" she questioned and who is 'David', and obviously you have some demon woman named Anne from your past. It also sounds like you were quite the philanderer.

"Yes you are the typical man bragging of your conquests. Fine you swagger,
if just to shut you up and prove I am not Anne. I will remove my clothes so you can go back to haunting the attic. But i will not remove my panties or bra, and you sir will not touch me. Agreed?"

Alexander gives a small chuckle. He thinks to himself, this is not Anne, Anne wears nothing beneath her robes

Alexander raises his finger to his lips, as if in thought. "Well woman, you leave me in a quandary. These are new word to me. What type of woman armor are panties or bra. I know naked. With no robes. "

Alexander is mystified. "Conquests" He moves away from fire place and sits in Uncle Max's chair. He looks at her. "You are a bewilderment to me, a word smith of the highest level. "When have I bragging of my conquests, sure I killed a few British, but no more then the rest. And I do not 'swagger', that is for the city roosters, and gentlemen."

Alexander leans back in the chair. " Who am I? You come to me woman. You look to dwell in the house of David and .....oh wait. "

"What do you mean, go back to haunting the attic." Alexander raises up . "I dwell in the house of David with the 2605 souls. We do not haunt, we dwell. This is our place of rest. You need to find a pastor."

Last edited:
"Has anyone ever told you that you are frustrating?" she asked blatantly. "I wasn't speaking of conquests of war, i was speaking of conquests of women."

"Well you're a cock if i ever saw one." of course she used cock instead of dick as in dickhead. But figured he wouldn't grasp it so it didn't matter.

"You sir are in the 21st century. Women no longer wear corsets we wear bra's they were invented in the 1960's i believe.

"and no. When i was young i would come here to visit Great Aunt Hilda, and my invisible friend. Mr. Who you are, but aren't any longer it would appear. I suppose i am no longer the impressionable child either."

"So lets end this Anne business and you and your 2605 souls can go 'rest' elsewhere. Hopefully another town, country. It matters not. But if the lawyer says what i believe he shall on Monday. In this time the legality of the property resides with me. There are no laws that provide 'spirits' the right to rest." With that she set down the poker and took off her shirt revealing her pink bra. Undoing her pants she wiggled a little letting them fall to reveal her matching pink panties.

"There you see, no bread box scar or whatever else your evil passion resulted in."
Picking up her shirt and pulling up her pants she began getting dressed again. "Ridiculous, this is absolutely unexceptionable. A word smith really. Humph"

Alexander smiles broadly. " Conquests of women? Never have walked over the body of a woman. I have had carnal knowledge with a few. They were not conquests, they surrendered eagerly" Alexander turns and moves toward the stairs. He turns and looks at Jessica.

" Say what you will. You have passed the test. You will be known to all as Jessica St. Clair. The word is out 2605 tongues have wagged. When you meet with your lawyer ask about his sister, Hilda."

Alexander started to climb the stairs. Then stopped. "My dear Jessica, the day on a calendar does not matter. The papers you sign are of no matter. This is the house of David. When he speaks, all will listen and so will you. David is the rock. With out David, there is barren ground. You will seek him and he will hear you."

"That's it? You're going to just go disappear again. Not even an apology for your rudeness? Not an apology for accusing me of being some sort of evil reincarnation. You aren't going to answer my questions? Just leave me with some dribble about 'David'. The least you could do is tell me your name, tell me who David is. After all i did spend the better part of the evening cleaning off the two of your gravestones."

She shook her head. "What happened in the decade that I have been absent for you to give me such a cold hello and such a blatant disregard. The polite thing would be to at least offer condolences for the loss of my Great Aunt."

She sighed. "Never mind, what am i thinking. Go back to your hole in the wall and stay there. Your presence and opinion is not required." Turning away from him she sat back in the chair and picked up Journal 1 and began reading it.

Journal 1

Journal

December 31,1799

I dedicate this work to the "Rock"

I have asked the three sisters to help guide me in this venture.

Bethany "Silver" St. Clair

Ruth "Ranker" St. Clair

Kimberly "Moors" St. Clair

May all the spirits find peace here. Though I will never lay hands on the throne of god. On Earth, only David is our guiding light. We shall all dwell in the house of David. It is our devotion in life, to give the voice to the dead. They may not all speak, they will all listen. God is supreme in heaven. David is supreme in our house.

January 1, 1800

There are tracks in the snow again. No one has left the Inn. Mary sang today. She makes the clouds part, and the sun shine. Nancy and Meka were in the cellar again.

January 2, 1800

The snow is back we can not open any doors. The wind is raising the drifts like mountains.

January 3, 1800

We are snowed in again. The storm whips around us. No one goes out of the Inn.

January 4, 1800

Last night the winds stopped. This morning it stopped snowing. Billy Martin stopped by. He said his sister will be joining us. They found her in the wood shed.
Later
WE opened the door for another sister, Sarah Martin, she will dwell in the house of David.

January 5, 1800. A Great Day has come. We are Free.

The New York Legislature passed the Religious Freedom Bill we can no longer be taxed!

Apparently he was taking her advice because he didn't answer a single of her questions. She read the first page of Journal one. From what she could gather by his references. David wasn't a person, but had something to do with religion. But why then a tombstone for David?

And why was Alexander sure he would not go to heaven? Was he Jewish? If so why did she think her family had always been catholic? Jess herself didn't believe in Heaven or Hell. Sure she believed there was good and evil.

She wondered briefly if perhaps her ghost was Alexander. If so she had a bible thumping ghost on her hands. But why was he here? And what could she do to help him rest?. Hopefully the journals would lead her into some insight.

Apparently back in the day the Inn was a refuge of sorts for wayward souls. Jess shook her head and kept reading.

Journal

note: page 2& 3 torn out

January 18, 1800

Market day, prices sky high. Must be from all the snow. A bit of a surprise: Henry has a new girlfriend her name is Anne.

January 19, 1800

David was at the gate as I walked the south field. Beware of the serpent. Is all he said.

January 20, 1800

WE opened the door to 4 new members this morning. 4 brothers and 2 sisters. It was a bad night in Buffalo.

January 21, 1800

Trappers! Two trappers stopped by. I bought 4 beaver pelts. Paid in gold. They are on there way home to Saratoga.

January 22, 1800

Henry came over for dinner with Anne. He was deep in his cups. Anne had that look, as if I was the meal. I think she is too much woman, for him. I think she is dangerous.

January 23, 1800

David was in the cellar this morning, he was sitting on the old barrel of whale oil for the lamps. He said.Beware, the serpent bites I tried to ask more. He just left the cellar. He confuses me at times.

January 24, 1800

New snow fell during the day. Little got done.
later
The four sisters sang, Queen of the Night aria, here is what I remember:

Hell's vengeance boils in my heart,
Death and despair blaze about me!
If Sarastro does not through you feel the pains of death,
Then you will be my daughter nevermore:

Disowned be you forever,
Abandoned be you forever,
Destroyed be forever
All the bonds of nature.

If not through you Sarastro will turn pale!
Hear, gods of revenge, hear the mother's oath!!!

Jess ran her fingers over the rough edges where pages had been torn out. These journals helped her fill in a little. But mostly they just left her with more questions. Evidently Anne was Henry's before she went after Alexander like a bitch in heat. David was some spirit that appeared to Alexander. Whether he was from the past, or based on the Jewish faith she couldn't figure out. But he evidently gave warnings to Alexander. Perhaps Anne was the serpent?

Whatever it was, Alexander didn't really go into much detail, and just wrote his thoughts, or things that happened in the day. A girl could fill a whole entry with dreams and romance. Perhaps these were a waste of time.

"Alexander" she shouted toward the staircase wondering if that was in fact her mr's name. "Alexander St. Claire" she shouted again, wondering if he would be just as unpleasant as he was before, or if he'd actually help her put the puzzle together.

Susan Flynn

A thin wisp of a woman came down the stairs. And paused. "Jessica" she calls out loudly. "It is a pure pleasure to finally meet you after all this years." She smiles broadly and descends the stairs. "I'm sorry dear, Alexander is not here. He has a meeting in town. I's scholarship day today!"
The woman pauses on the landing.
"Oh, I'm sorry, you don't know me. I'm Susan Flynn, I will be one of your secretaries."
Susan can tell Jessica has know idea what is going on. "OH my. Didn't Alexander tell you." Susan descends the last two steps. "He has been fighting for your application from the beginning. 12 years ago!"
Susan walks up to her slowly. "You honestly don't know?"
Susan's hands came up to her face. " You have not seen the lawyer yet!" A look of deep fear covers her face and she starts to cry. She quickly turns and runs to the stairs. "Ruth, Ruth don't fire me. I don't want to go back to the cellar, again. "

Jessica watched as a thin woman proceeded down the stairs. She listened confused at what she was going on about. Since when do ghosts have meetings in town? This was just getting to weird for her. One Ghost fine, but a damn congregation was insane.

And what Application? What made him think she wanted to apply to whatever it was. Unless Alexander could be civil, at least she knew that was his name now. She was simply going to sell the Inn and perhaps buy another elsewhere without all the complications and malarkey that seemed to be going on around her.

Having had enough of the day. She gathered up the journals and put them back on the shelf before heading up the stairs to her room. Closing the door and locking it behind her. She lay down on her bed an vowed to hopefully get some answers from someone before the meeting with the lawyer.

the attic-house of David

Susan Flynn stood next to Ruth's desk in her little office.
"Ruth I've been good for six years. I mean I'm 2nd Secretary after all."
Ruth looks at her. "You were warned about your mouth. You talk to much."
"What will happen?" Susan askes.
Ruth Looks up at her. "That is up to Jessica. If she takes the deal, then you may be all right. If she turns down the deal. The members will be looking for some one to blame. And the prosses will have to start all over again. It could take years. "
Susan exhales. "What do you think Alexander will do?"
Ruth shrugs. "There is sure to be a hearing or a trial. And punishment."
"Punishments? You mean a demotion?"
Ruth shakes her head." Not likely, that. More likely the cellar or maybe even the barn."
"The Barn? No one has been sent to the barn in, in over 120 years.
Ruth looks down at her desk. It is out of my hands. It all depends on Jessica.

Sunday Morning

Jessica tossed and turned all night. It was a combination of the quietness, and trying to wrap her head around there being ghosts in the inn. She decided that she would take a hike in the woods and head down to the river. Going through her clothes she found a pair of jeans a long sleeve shirt and a hoodie. This combined with her jacket and gloves should make her warm enough.

After she was dressed she headed out of her room and down the stairs to the kitchen to make her self a therm-ace of coffee and some toast. When she made it outside it was nice an brisk weather. She headed into the woods letting the serenity of it all wash over her like it once did as a child.

There was something majestic about the way the sun shown through the trees and the way the birds sang their good morning to the world song. Was she really ready to let this all go because of an asshole of a ghost and a congregation of other ghosts? After all she had a perfectly content life back in the city. Her job was challenging, and her friends were.. well on a little of the stuck up side, but generally there when she needed them.

Stopping by the graveyard she brushed some leaves off of Alexanders grave stone. "You are a proud arrogant ass, and I miss the old you." she said out loud to the stone. Sighing she turned and walked toward where she thought the river would be. Taking a break she stopped on a stump for some coffee and enjoyed the peace and quiet around her.

Back