Funniest story you've read. Both on Lit and off:

MediocreAuthor

You can call me "M"
I love humor, but truely hilarious literature is rarer than hilarious shows and movies, imo.

Candid, Forrest Gump, and The Taming of the Shrew are all funny and worth reading, but I wouldn't describe any of them as "hilarious."

So, the questions are:

1) What's the funniest story you've read on Literotica?

2) What's the funniest book you've read elsewhere?

(Links and explications welcome).

For my money, I chuckled a ton while reading @Duleigh's Enchantress, although it isn't primarily a comedy. "Ook."

Also, I laughed a ton at Do Android Fart like Electric Pigs, which is a both intentionally and unintentionally hilarious. The final line is comedic gold if you're familiar with all the story's inspiration. (The fetish is super weird to me, personally, which heightens the humor all the more).

The funniest book I've ever read is Will Save The Galaxy For Food, by about a daring space pilot trying to survive in a world where teleportation has rendered daring space pilots obsolete.

2023-09-24_17.54.03.jpg

Last edited:
ChulaVista has written a really funny series of Sybil stories. Sybil finds herself having to explain to her husband why she keeps having to sleep with other men. And the way tells it it's all very logical. I thought the stories were laugh out loud funny, they're so ridiculous. I've read them several times and I still laugh.

I don't recall reading anything funny here-at least not intentionally-but for off lit. I read a National Lampoon parody of Lord of the Rings(Bored of the Rings)and the thing had me cracking up.

I remember laughing a good deal at Sir Apropos of Nothing and John Dies At The End, but I never finished either one... so I can't really recommend them.

I thought MelissaBaby's White Castle Christmas was one of the funniest stories I've read at Literotica. It maintained a good sense of humor throughout and was fun and amusing. The idea of Christmas at White Castle alone is a funny idea.

The funniest "literary" story I've ever read was probably Mark Twain's essay "Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses." I think I read it around 1984 and it's been a favorite ever since. Kingsley Amis's novel Lucky Jim might be the funniest novel I've ever read.

One of the funniest things I've read online was this tandem story, which has appeared in various places online: https://badpets.net/Humor/Misc/TandemStory.html#:~:text=Assignment: Today we will experiment with a new,and add a second paragraph to the story.

I liked it so much I decided to write my own spoof tandem story, on a Loving Wives topic, Cuckolds and Incels: A Chain Story. https://literotica.com/s/cuckolds-and-incels-a-chain-story. It gave me a laugh (I'm easy) and some readers found it funny.

Last edited:
I write comedy stories in a range of categories.

The majority of Incest/Taboo readers however, don't seem appreciative of my efforts, in fact they seem to interpret any attempt to make them laugh as an act of provocation. In a funny sort of way its amusing how utterly humourless they are.

I've also tried to make the Loving Wives readers laugh. They didn't laugh, although one reader did comment about how amusing they found one scene where a male detective has to go and buy sanitary pads for a trophy wife in witness protection, and winds up looking like a weirdo in the feminine hygiene products section of the supermarket.

I read Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison, and I thought it was just okay. I'll have to check out this one

As somebody who also thought Make Room! Make Room! was okay but nothing special, ditto most of his other straight SF, I loved the Stainless Steel Rat series. I think some of the later books were weaker, but the early stuff is a lot of fun. Interstellar criminal gets conscripted to save the world.

It's been a couple of decades since I read it, and I'm not sure how well some of the sexual politics/Angela stuff would hold up if I reread now, but still plenty of fun to be had.

Avoid the SSR choose-your-own-adventure book though, that one's awful.

Funny you should mention these, just the other day I pulled them out of the attic to re-read.

@MediocreAuthor A Stainless Steel Rat is Born should be your starting point.

My preference would be in order of publication, starting with The Stainless Steel Rat, but either way is probably fine.

Last edited:
I don't recall reading anything funny here-at least not intentionally-but for off lit. I read a National Lampoon parody of Lord of the Rings(Bored of the Rings)and the thing had me cracking up.
That one was great. I did a bit of Latin at school, and the same author who wrote Bored of the Rings (Henry Beard) also wrote a couple of books "Latin for All Occasions" and "Latin for Even More Occasions" that were very funny to teenage me.

Funniest on Literotica: I'm bad at ranking stuff, but I did very much enjoy White Castle Christmas ("funny" on its own tends to feel a bit empty but this one has a bit of heart to back it) and also AwkwardMD's "Terrible Company", which is just good silly D&D-style adventuring fun.

Funniest elsewhere: Robert Sheckley (esp. Mindswap) and Douglas Adams are great, and Cat Valente's "Space Opera" is very enjoyable - similar to Adams without feeling derivative. I'm very fond of Pratchett but the draw for me isn't his humour.

"Puckoon" by Spike Milligan has it's laugh out loud moments - although it might be getting on a bit now.

There an Oz classic, The Outcasts of Foolgarah, by Frank Hardy (probably unobtanium now) about a strike by shit carters and garbos in Sydney. Hardy was Australia's favourite commo, and the book is chock full of political satire, with pollies just prior to Whitlam's It's Time election, and ridiculously over-written working class characters who always prevail.

There's some parts of Catch 22 which always caught my funny bone - I have a yen for black humour.

Has anyone tried The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde? It sounds hilarious and thought provoking.

Fool by Christopher Moore. Sustaining humor throughout the length of a novel is bloody difficult. Moore accomplished it by writing a crude and lewd story that I liked because I have a juvenile sense of humor. More sophisticated readers may not appreciate it at all.

Last edited:
downrghghload.jpg

I know, I know. "Cop out."

But, on reflection, I don't think anything has left me so consistently unable to breathe.

Sure, it's the age and being quick to laugh (absence of social pressure/"adulting" expectations) but they really did destroy me.

Used to do them legit (blind) then try to conjure up the absolute perfect/funniest word or phrasing based on the context.

Wouldn't be surprised if it somehow contributed to my later love of words, definitions, context, and writing.

Not a story, but "More Items From Our Catalog." A takeoff on the L.L. Bean catalog.

One of the items was a mood baclava. If camouflage pattern persists for more than five days seek professional help.

View attachment 2274541

I know, I know. "Cop out."

But, on reflection, I don't think anything has left me so consistently unable to breathe.

Sure, it's the age and being quick to laugh (absence of social pressure/"adulting" expectations) but they really did destroy me.

Used to do them legit (blind) then try to conjure up the absolute perfect/funniest word or phrasing based on the context.

Wouldn't be surprised if it somehow contributed to my later love of words, definitions, context, and writing.
Totally agree. I played as a kid, and then years later I played with my kids and my sons picked "poop" or something like it as the fill-in word most of the time. Then I played with some adult guy friends on a backpacking trip and it was all about the sex toys.

"Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" by Douglas Adams comes to mind. It's not only funny but incredibly well-written.

As for stories here on Lit, I haven't read many that could be categorized as funny, but this comment by @NoTalentHack in a thread on people using exaggerated language to describe female wetness made me spit out my Pepsi a couple of weeks ago.

"For forty days and forty nights, God covered the Earth with rain. That flood had nothing on my girlfriend's pussy when I said, 'Let's fuck, yo.'"

Well "The Eye of Argon" is hilarious although the writer was quite earnest and did not intend to write a comedy.
As far as books written to be funny intentionally, I'll go with the five-part trilogy "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe" which is hilarious from beginning to end while touching on all the great questions along the way God, time, "The meaning of life, the universe and everything."

Back