First Time Author Here - Looking for tips & answers

JaxonHill

Author
I recently began writing a multi-chapter story, I've been reading stories on Lit for just over 20 years. I've read various length of stories, and I generally like the ones that split up their submissions into single chapter submissions, so that's what I'm going to do.

I have a few questions as I embark on this journey:

1. From other's perspective, is there a point where I should consider a break in the chapter because its getting too long?
2. What are other's opinion of the tolerance for story and character development to "sex scenes"
3. How long does it typically take for a story to get "approved"?
4. With they myriad of stories on this site, is there anything I should or could do to enjoy my story with fellow readers?

For those who are curious, my story is ultimately going to be about the complexities of a blended family, although I imagine it will probably take as many as 10 chapters before that part of the story emerges. The story begins with Elliot and Ethan having just spent the last year without their wife/mother respectively.

In many ways, I'm writing the story for me. So I don't care whether anyone else enjoys it. But in another sense, I would enjoy sharing this journey with others.

Thanks in advance for any tips or ideas anyone has!

In my experience, readers are happy to wait for the sex, provided the lead-up is topical and well-written. If there isn’t a sex scene, the tale really should go in Non-Erotic lest the readers feel cheated (in their free read).

Chapter length is up to you, really. It’s your story and the pay’s not that much, so you might as well suit yourself. Obviously, a major scene change or time shift suggests a new chapter.

New writers’s stories seem to take longer than those of established writers. It depends, but a week to ten days would not be unusual. Once you get known, it can be much faster.

Good luck.

In my experience, readers are happy to wait for the sex, provided the lead-up is topical and well-written. If there isn’t a sex scene, the tale really should go in Non-Erotic lest the readers feel cheated (in their free read).

Chapter length is up to you, really. It’s your story and the pay’s not that much, so you might as well suit yourself. Obviously, a major scene change or time shift suggests a new chapter.

New writers’s stories seem to take longer than those of established writers. It depends, but a week to ten days would not be unusual. Once you get known, it can be much faster.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot. :)

There is a lot of opinions about story and chapter length, and when to go to a series. The longest stand-alone story I did was about 11,000 words. Some people have gone to 25,000 or more. It's a judgment call.

In fact, everything you do will be your judgment call, including if and when to have a sex scene. Sometimes the sex may be described by somebody rather than actually depicted. There are so many readers here with different views; you can't please them all, so you have to please yourself.

The only thing I can be sure of is: take your time, don't rush the writing of it. Sometimes you can only write, say, a few hundred words on a particular day. It will come together eventually.

I recently began writing a multi-chapter story, I've been reading stories on Lit for just over 20 years. I've read various length of stories, and I generally like the ones that split up their submissions into single chapter submissions, so that's what I'm going to do.

1. From other's perspective, is there a point where I should consider a break in the chapter because its getting too long?
2. What are other's opinion of the tolerance for story and character development to "sex scenes"
4. With they myriad of stories on this site, is there anything I should or could do to enjoy my story with fellow readers?

In many ways, I'm writing the story for me. So I don't care whether anyone else enjoys it. But in another sense, I would enjoy sharing this journey with others.
Greetings fellow Jax(on).
1. It's up to you to decide when a chapter ends. A single Lit page is several standard word processing pages. In my recent story, two of the chapters are 10/12 msword pages long, one of them is one Lit page, the other is two Lit pages.
2. There are people that like that. Those that like long stories are as interested in the story itself along with the sex. There's all kinds on here.
3. A day or two, to just over a week. Possibly near two. One thing you can do is give Laurel less work to do, to speed it along. Being new; there might be a bit more scrutiny.
4. ?

Then you care some.

If you're looking for a shitshow, write something for the loving wives category, or at least that's the word around the campfire. Never done it myself

1. It's largely up to you. Exercise your own judgment.
2. It's best if you can combine them. Like the title of the site, literotica: both literature and erotica. Make the sex propel the character development and the character development propel the sex.
3. Usually, 2-3 days. It sits in pending for about exactly 24 hours and then it says it'll go up either the next day or the day after that, usually depending on the time of day you submitted it the day before. However, I've waited 48 hours on an edit of a sent back chapter that's stuck in pending. Might get back to you on how long that ultimately takes to upload.
4. You could find others like it, if they exist. They might not. Stories like mine don't. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking, though. You could get test readers and discuss it with them if you're lucky?

Authors decision. Some readers prefer brisk, small chapters which allows for more natural stopping/return points.

Others read long form as they believe there is more likely effort to storytelling made by the author.

Starting out, I would go with where your style naturally breaks.
No golden ratio. If you write well, keep readers engaged, most will walk the path with you, even through twists, turns, and detours.

*IF* you set a tone of "this is a sex romp" early but don't deliver on that promise (or its opposite, tension and drama but lean sex fest) that's where you run into pushback.

Tone and delivering on that tone needs to be a key consideration.
Newer authors take longer for review. Different points have different high and low submission tides. Write your story until it is finished. It'll publish and a couple days one way or the other really shouldn't factor into reception (or your workflow)
Huh? If you mean reader engagement, there are comments and you can offer contact opportunities through your profile.
For those who are curious, my story is ultimately going to be about the complexities of a blended family, although I imagine it will probably take as many as 10 chapters before that part of the story emerges. The story begins with Elliot and Ethan having just spent the last year without their wife/mother respectively.
Ok. Ideas abound. Write it. Publish it. That (best) leads to productive discussion of subject matters.
In many ways, I'm writing the story for me. So I don't care whether anyone else enjoys it.
It needs to be written for you or it will never get written. And unless that tops the hierarchy of motivations, honestly, you tend to get crap output. Staying true to what you have to say (your theme) when writing for others is tough sledding motivation wise. And it often shows.
But in another sense, I would enjoy sharing this journey with others.
Honestly, I'd push the bulk of that thinking out of your mind. *Most* readers aren't into committing to a series that is done piecemeal. And, if you open the floor to outside contributors, you introduce more considerations and complexities a less established contributor really doesn't need added to the mix.

Even working with an incredibly talented co-author can be a massive balancing/creativities challenge. I can't imagine numerous voices weighing in, especially those maybe not understanding how difficult the writing work is.
Write for you. That's where your best work will come from (and your best chance at gaining a following/foothold)

There's no formula other than to do the work. Don't worry about audience. There is such an audience spectrum, you will likely find your niche (and we have a niche for so many things.) Say what you want to say through your work. Be clear to your creative vision. That's when you most likely have a story worth telling.

Every time this comes up (which is often) there's a fairly broad consensus that 2 - 4 Lit pages (7500 - 12k words) is a sweet spot for chapter lengths in a longer piece. You've not said how long yours is.
Both are accepted. Some readers want it 80/20, others 20/80. There's no "ideal", there's no right or wrong ratio. It's what the story requires.
For a newbie, expect at least a week. Once you're known (and don't push the lines), 2 - 3 days is typical. Faster, on occasion.
Post an announcement in the New Stories thread.

If you explicitly want more critical writer's feedback, start a thread in the Feedback Forum.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a shitshow, write something for the loving wives category, or at least that's the word around the campfire. Never done it myself
What's going on in Ukraine is a shitshow; Loving Wives is mostly goofy non-sense. I've been there are couple of times. :whistle:

I should write about how war and military terms are used as metaphors elsewhere. In Vietnam, it was "in the shit" (being in combat). I think in the Civil War, it was called "seeing the elephant," for some reason. Maybe they were just more restrained in the 19th Century - I mean in their language. The actual battles were brutal.

Very interesting feedback.

My chapters are pretty consistently in the ~3k - ~4k range.

I’ve now written a total of four chapters, I’ve been “publishing” them as I’ve written them. Nothing has been approved yet.

What’s interesting for me is that I enjoy them and am turned on by them when I first write it. But during the edit and finalization process it’s lights out on my own arousal. I was kinda surprised by that.

I’ve now written a total of four chapters, I’ve been “publishing” them as I’ve written them. Nothing has been approved yet.

What’s interesting for me is that I enjoy them and am turned on by them when I first write it. But during the edit and finalization process it’s lights out on my own arousal. I was kinda surprised by that.
Yeah... I'd actually write and finish before posting- at least then you know you're commited. It's not a race. Or at least have several chapters written first, so publishing doesn't catch up to the writing.
Yeah, the editing tends to do that.

That's about one Lit page (3750 words to a Lit page, approx). That's not a very long read - barely time to get aroused, let alone a result. Many authors seem to forget a primary purpose of erotica is to get reader's rocks off, and you've got to give them a bit of time to do that.

It's not the only reason, obviously, but unless you're mowing the lawn and can get by with a two stroke, it's worth thinking about .
We've all done that, I reckon. There are pros and cons. The main negative, I reckon, is that you put yourself on a hamster wheel to keep the content coming out on a regular basis.
Yep, write when you're hot; edit in the morning, when you can concentrate.

Well then, it's too late for my advice, which would be to be patient and finish the entire story before submitting any of it.

You have now lost a large degree of control because you can't easily go back and change things that later plot and character development might have benefited from. I can appreciate the desire for feedback while writing the story, but there are better ways to get it besides giving up that much control of your story.

By and large, readers' tolerance for things such as sex scenes and chapter/story length depend a lot on the category that the story is posted in. I think that in a category such as "First Time", readers would anticipate having to wait for the characters to get to the deed, where in "Erotic Couplings", their expectations would be different.

In literature, there are innumerable ways to define chapters; from a change in scene, a change in period (time), a change in perspective, to you name it. Length is typically only mentioned as a consideration for chapter breaks here as far as I have seen.

Well then, it's too late for my advice, which would be to be patient and finish the entire story before submitting any of it.

You have now lost a large degree of control because you can't easily go back and change things that later plot and character development might have benefited from. I can appreciate the desire for feedback while writing the story, but there are better ways to get it besides giving up that much control of your story.

By and large, readers' tolerance for things such as sex scenes and chapter/story length depend a lot on the category that the story is posted in. I think that in a category such as "First Time", readers would anticipate having to wait for the characters to get to the deed, where in "Erotic Couplings", their expectations would be different.

In literature, there are innumerable ways to define chapters; from a change in scene, a change in period (time), a change in perspective, to you name it. Length is typically only mentioned as a consideration for chapter breaks here as far as I have seen.
Part of the reason I want to write each chapter in sequential order and submit them as they’re written is that I feel like I’m discovering things as they happen.

So it kinda takes away my ability to change my mind. In a sense, it increases the stakes for what happens in the story as it’s happening.

Maybe this is strange, but it’s what I’m doing (for now at least).

The length of the story is irrelevant. It is what it is.
When you write a story, there are certain obvious places where the story slows, or takes a moment for breath. They are clear, and can be good places to take a break...
I have written stories, and most of them are very long. I just posted a 16 lit page story in LW. I was worried that it was too long. Surprisingly, it was accepted and did OK. In other cases, I have separated long ones into separate chapters.
My advice is, if you decide to post in chapters. Have the story finished before you start.
Don't get trapped into having to write so the time between postings isn't too long. It places too much pressure on you, and spoils the process. It becomes like a job.
Sex scenes... If they are important to the story, then include them. Personally, So long as the story is erotic. I don't ned sex scenes. I have posted stories without sex scenes. You can post them in any category... You may get a couple of comments, but most people will live with it, if it's a good story.
Approval can take anywhere from 1 day to a week or so.
You say your are writing the story for yourself... Bravo. That is the best reason to write. Personal enjoyment...

BTW... Welcome...

Cagivagurl

That's about one Lit page (3750 words to a Lit page, approx). That's not a very long read - barely time to get aroused, let alone a result. Many authors seem to forget a primary purpose of erotica is to get reader's rocks off, and you've got to give them a bit of time to do that.

It's not the only reason, obviously, but unless you're mowing the lawn and can get by with a two stroke, it's worth thinking about .

We've all done that, I reckon. There are pros and cons. The main negative, I reckon, is that you put yourself on a hamster wheel to keep the content coming out on a regular basis.

Yep, write when you're hot; edit in the morning, when you can concentrate.
Great points. Thanks a lot.

Part of the reason I want to write each chapter in sequential order and submit them as they’re written is that I feel like I’m discovering things as they happen.

So it kinda takes away my ability to change my mind. In a sense, it increases the stakes for what happens in the story as it’s happening.

There are two schools of thought here (on AH at least): finish the whole series first, as if it was a novel or novella, or release the chapters as they are finished. I don't have the ability (patience?) to write a novel (or a whole series) an one long swoop, which would probably take months, at least. I thought I was writing a novel before I joined Lit. I guess I joined partially because I couldn't wait so long to get anything published.

When everything was in print, there was little chance to change anything unless there were later editions. (Stephen King really took advantage of that, but none of us have his kind of clout.)

Being digital like on Lit offers more flexibility (alternate timelines, writing out-of-sequence, etc.). That's what I have done, although it's gotten more than a bit messy at times. But, I've accepted that things have gone that way over the past five years.

There are two schools of thought here (on AH at least): finish the whole series first, as if it was a novel or novella, or release the chapters as they are finished. I don't have the ability (patience?) to write a novel (or a whole series) an one long swoop, which would probably take months, at least. I thought I was writing a novel before I joined Lit. I guess I joined partially because I couldn't wait so long to get anything published.

When everything was in print, there was little chance to change anything unless there were later editions. (Stephen King really took advantage of that, but none of us have his kind of clout.)

Being digital like on Lit offers more flexibility (alternate timelines, writing out-of-sequence, etc.). That's what I have done, although it's gotten more than a bit messy at times. But, I've accepted that things have gone that way over the past five years.
Got it. Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

I am usually very good at keeping track of details in my mind, we'll see if I slip up at some point and write something nonsensical. Generally, though, I can keep timelines, story lines, and characters pretty organized in my head. We'll see if it translates to the written word!

Got it. Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

I am usually very good at keeping track of details in my mind, we'll see if I slip up at some point and write something nonsensical. Generally, though, I can keep timelines, story lines, and characters pretty organized in my head. We'll see if it translates to the written word!
I'm not that organized, I guess. And I didn't start with the intention of writing a novel. It started with some computer "scribblings" I did when at home recovering from surgery. Some of those early segments were truly terrible. But I always knew there was a very slim chance of publishing it in print (I don't think it would be a best seller!). Thus Lit.

Somebody here did mention an author who writes best-sellers, mostly in the romance and mystery genres. Two million copies and $1 million for the rights to her first book. Not bad. Although, some of her plots seem a bit, ah, dubious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Evanovich

I agree wholeheartedly. I tend to write 2 or 3 chapters ahead of my submissions on a multi-chapter story. My chapters are generally longer. I prefer close to 10K words which is 2 to 3 pages in Lit. One story I wrote had only one natural break which was about half way through. I should have split the story but did not. It was flamed for being excessively long by some.
You should try to hit a happy medium. Put yourself in the mind of the reader. I am personally frustrated by 10 chapters of a page or so. Sometimes I wait until 3 or 4 chapters are published before I begin. I find an intro and then a drop to wait for the next to be ridiculous. Not even a good cliff-hanger.
Also number your submissions with the same title. That way they are easily read in order. Many authors use an initial title and then use a half title after. Following that is difficult later. like Story of Pete- The fall, Next you have Story of Pete-Answers.... They are going to be listed in reverse order. Remember your stories will be read in the future, not as they came out. I had comments today on a story i wrote 2 years ago.
My longest story is 36 chapters of an averaging 12k in length. That was my Slave Camp series. I went back and read it later on and found I'd changed last names of some of the characters.

Sex scenes... If they are important to the story, then include them. Personally, So long as the story is erotic. I don't ned sex scenes. I have posted stories without sex scenes. You can post them in any category... You may get a couple of comments, but most people will live with it, if it's a good story.
Many of my stories have no sex at all or it is mentioned but not described. Gratuitous sex can detract from the story but in some cases it develops the characters and is crucial to flow. I do not like to cross categories when I tell a story so a chapter might have some degree of fetish, but be non-consensual, have more bdsm etc. Only your 'followers' will find you easily. I tend to keep the story in the category where it starts.
Speaking of category, your reception and views will vary wildly with category. As will the comments.

Write them that way, but don't submit them that way. If you drop a thread make it a deliberate idea. In other words you mention something in chapter 3 that will be expanded on chapter 5. But then you change your direction slightly in 4. It detracts from the story. That is why my intentionally long stories are written 3 chapters ahead at least. And before I start writing that day, I reread at least the previous chapter to bring my own mind up to date. You will find yourself not repeating yourself.
Again, it helps if your chapters are a little longer than a page or so and another reason I try for 11 or 12k words. And I do not use a word counter. I use the little bar to the right (not sure what it is called) where I write my drafts.

A lot of writers do that, and if it works for you and your readers, keep it up.

I gave my advice as a writer, but I'll tell you now, as a reader, I do not begin to read any story that is obviously incomplete. I have been burned by writers who have walked away before finishing a story too many times and there are too many good complete stories here for me to take a risk.

Back