Far be it for me to complain, but are "pending" times increasing for anybody else?

MrPixel

Just a Regular Guy
I've had a work in the "pending" queue since last Tuesday. It's a pretty innocuous though moderately long (4-5 pages) piece about swinging and exhibitionism. In three years and 40+ stories, even in the beginning I've not had one take more than two or three days (barring contest holds). Is anybody else seeing the same thing?

Given the recent discussions about rejections due to suspected AI content, I'm forced to wonder if the additional checks and handling thereof are gumming the works. I'm looking at you, @Djmac1031 , @Duleigh and @EmilyMiller . You've had stories go up in the past week. Did the wait seem longer than usual?

Now I might allow for the possibility that the keyword screen snagged on "dogs", as in the family pets running around the yard playing tug-of-war with their toys or demanding to be let in and out of the house. IRL stuff. So maybe the story is in the queue for Laurel to read in detail to be sure it wasn't "going there".

What say ye?

My story went up quite quickly, despite submitting it the day before the Summer Lovin' entrees were to begin.

Not sure that I have any words of wisdom or suggestions other than to message Laurel and inquire what might have gone wrong.

Good luck, I know it can get frustrating.

I've had a work in the "pending" queue since last Tuesday. It's a pretty innocuous though moderately long (4-5 pages) piece about swinging and exhibitionism. In three years and 40+ stories, even in the beginning I've not had one take more than two or three days (barring contest holds). Is anybody else seeing the same thing?

Given the recent discussions about rejections due to suspected AI content, I'm forced to wonder if the additional checks and handling thereof are gumming the works. I'm looking at you, @Djmac1031 , @Duleigh and @EmilyMiller . You've had stories go up in the past week. Did the wait seem longer than usual?

Now I might allow for the possibility that the keyword screen snagged on "dogs", as in the family pets running around the yard playing tug-of-war with their toys or demanding to be let in and out of the house. IRL stuff. So maybe the story is in the queue for Laurel to read in detail to be sure it wasn't "going there".

What say ye?
Hi,

Mine was part of Summer Lovin’ and I think Laurel prioritizes those. It was up in just over a day, then it’s only 5k words.

I know Summer Lovin’ is a busy contest and maybe that’s the reason.

Em

My last story was posted at 5:30 on Friday and went live last night sometime after midnight.

I submitted on Wednesday night, and it was posted Friday. Pretty normal IME.

Just a theory, but stories in catagories with less content get lower priority. No need to rush them all out. Meanwhile if you look at EC or incest, loads of stories everyday.

No recent change for me: two days for the regular file, one day for the latest Summer contest entry.

No recent change for me: two days for the regular file, one day for the latest Summer contest entry.
Regular entries are pretty fast now, probably because the process has been at least partially automated. Corrections of existing, published entries are taking a while, as it always has. I try to avoid those for trivial changes; I probably have done that less than once per year. However, right now I have an unprecedented two of those pending.

Hmm. Thank you to everyone for your input on this. I've gathered Laurel mostly takes Sundays off, so I'm not expecting anything to happen today.

It is in Mature (ongoing spring-autumn relationship), so I'll take that to be a less-trafficked category. I know GS is, where I normally post. It may well be a length thing. If it's not up (or "New") by Tuesday, I'll drop Laurel a note.

Oo. It just dawned on me there may be a "three strikes" situation. My previous story (Ogg project) was kicked back for an inadvertent under-age reference (quickly corrected), and I had two rejected and subsequently deleted last year for implied sexual violence. So I may well be flagged for extra scrutiny at the moment.

Just thinking out loud.

Oo. It just dawned on me there may be a "three strikes" situation. My previous story (Ogg project) was kicked back for an inadvertent under-age reference (quickly corrected), and I had two rejected and subsequently deleted last year for implied sexual violence. So I may well be flagged for extra scrutiny at the moment.

Just thinking out loud.

That could be it. Especially if it's a longer story; she might wanna take a closer look.

My newest is only two LE pages. Even with a manual scan it would only take minutes to go over.

At least your thinking. Many around Lit, don't think a'tall.

Just thinking out loud.

I'm forced to wonder if the additional checks and handling thereof are gumming the works. I'm looking at you, @Djmac1031 , @Duleigh and @EmilyMiller

My story was submitted on Sunday for the Summer Lovin' contest so that's not a fair count as it had to wait for Friday. However last month I submitted a few story corrections and they sat for weeks then I submitted a poem and it sat for close to a week so I asked Laurel about it and they all suddenly went through.

As for additional checks, Laurel mentioned to me that she is trying to get the story of the month caught up, which it probably a lot of work but I'm seeing paranoic sweeps happening. I'm OCD when it comes to numbers and spreadsheets so I download my CSV every night and I've been noticing stories getting swept every single day, the scores almost never change. One story lost 20 votes yet the score didn't change - how does a story get 20 "fraudulent votes" removed yet the score remains the same? I think her bots are now running the show.

It all goes back to the AI argument. Once they get it in for you, you're dead. (Isn't that a line delivered from a bubblegum-popping girl in Terminator?)
My story was submitted on Sunday for the Summer Lovin' contest so that's not a fair count as it had to wait for Friday. However last month I submitted a few story corrections and they sat for weeks then I submitted a poem and it sat for close to a week so I asked Laurel about it and they all suddenly went through.

As for additional checks, Laurel mentioned to me that she is trying to get the story of the month caught up, which it probably a lot of work but I'm seeing paranoic sweeps happening. I'm OCD when it comes to numbers and spreadsheets so I download my CSV every night and I've been noticing stories getting swept every single day, the scores almost never change. One story lost 20 votes yet the score didn't change - how does a story get 20 "fraudulent votes" removed yet the score remains the same? I think her bots are now running the show.

That could be it. Especially if it's a longer story; she might wanna take a closer look.

My newest is only two LE pages. Even with a manual scan it would only take minutes to go over.

The Lit introduction/welcome page is rather impersonal. There is nothing about how they operate behind the scenes. How many people regularly contribute stories to Lit? I suspect that the site is deliberately "dark" (unknowable) to keep those masses at arms length. A lot of writers would want to have too much hand-holding or they would complain too much, and it's probably not feasible for the site to deal with much of of that on an individual basis.

Of course, much of that is just speculation on my part.

Please, continue to speculate. We all know so little about the site other than our work or the work we read.
The Lit introduction/welcome page is rather impersonal. There is nothing about how they operate behind the scenes. How many people regularly contribute stories to Lit? I suspect that the site is deliberately "dark" (unknowable) to keep those masses at arms length. A lot of writers would want to have too much hand-holding or they would complain too much, and it's probably not feasible for the site to deal with much of of that on an individual basis.

Of course, much of that is just speculation on my part.

Please, continue to speculate. We all know so little about the site other than our work or the work we read.
I do know by talking to Laurel, that they have "scripts" - programs running in the background doing a multitude of tasks, scanning incoming documents for language that violates the Lit rules, they're looking for "Fraudulent" votes on all stories, looking for notes to admin on incoming stories, calculating scores, and there's a million things that can get out of whack. I'm reminded every time I down load my CSV and see a story listed out of alphabetical order - how do you make a computer do that?

It's an art.

The AI is an untrustworthy narrator.
I do know by talking to Laurel, that they have "scripts" - programs running in the background doing a multitude of tasks, scanning incoming documents for language that violates the Lit rules, they're looking for "Fraudulent" votes on all stories, looking for notes to admin on incoming stories, calculating scores, and there's a million things that can get out of whack. I'm reminded every time I down load my CSV and see a story listed out of alphabetical order - how do you make a computer do that?

It's an art.

What say ye?
From Laurel as of yesterday, when my < 12 hour story became "New" in my Pending folder, while other stories remained in Pending for over a week and a half:
New story processing takes priority over edits, and we are currently experiencing a higher than usual works queue. We are doing our best, and hope to get things back on track soon. Do know that if you click on a PENDING work and make changes, it will send that work to the back of the queue - so please make as few changes as possible to your edit to avoid further delays.

I'm reminded every time I down load my CSV and see a story listed out of alphabetical order - how do you make a computer do that?
It's actually one of the easiest things to do, tbh. If it's not in alphabetical order, it's probably something to do with series or something. Can you post a screenshot?

It's actually one of the easiest things to do, tbh. If it's not in alphabetical order, it's probably something to do with series or something. Can you post a screenshot?
Here you go, column A number 10, I sort column A and A Krissmas Karole slides up to number 8 where it belongs

Screenshot 2023-08-20 202354.jpg

Back