Extended Author's Notes for "My Crocheting Little Sister"

8letters

Writing
This is the extended Author’s Notes for My Crocheting Little Sister.

The story behind the story
I came across some pictures of crochet tops that I thought were sexy. That eventually lead to a story idea which I sent to my friend TM:
Sister and brother are home for the summer. He's always made fun of her crocheting hobby, saying she should hang out with grandmas. He's got a internship for the summer while she's planning on making crochet items to sell online. He's like, "What are you going to sell this year? Some new type of scarf?" So when Mom and Dad are away, she wears a sexy crochet crop top in front of her brother. It drives him nuts. "What do you think of my crocheting hobby now?" She takes to wearing sexy crochet crop tops in front of him whenever they're alone. She gets more explicit with her taunts. "Do you like how this one lifts and shapes my tits? Don't you love how it's partially see thru?"

Step #2 happens, and then step #3 is they're happily fucking like bunnies.​
I had no ideas for Step #2, so that’s where the story sat for several months.

And then I went to some training on how to not do something stupid with a member of the opposite sex, and it featured a “No Means No” discussion. A few days later, I started picturing over and over in my mind a handcuffed sister begging her brother to stop while using body language to tell him to keep going. Spanking got added to that scene, and I found it amazingly hot. Suddenly, I had a step #2. At the same time, I wasn’t sure that such a scene would appeal to anyone. I don’t like the kinks of bondage, spanking, S&M, and D&S in incest stories. The scene I was imagining should totally turn me off, but I found it amazingly hot. Was it just me? Would anyone else find that scene hot?

So I sent this to my friend TM:
I had an idea for this. Early in the story, the sister Lorraine finds that the brother Biff has two sets of handcuffs. After much prodding, he tells her that he had a girlfriend at college who loved "50 Shades" and wanted him to restrain her with handcuffs and then fuck her. He bought the handcuffs, she stalled and stalled about using them, and then she chickened out. He was pissed that he spent so much money on the handcuffs only to have her chicken out, which lead to them breaking out.

The sister says she loved "50 shades", says that her safe word would be "yarn".

She starts teasing him, which drives him crazy. Then he gets an idea for her to get her to stop. The next time she starts taunting him about her top, he grabs her and handcuffs her to their staircase. He calls her out on sexually taunting him, saying he should rip her top off for doing so. That he should spank her so hard and for so long that she can't sit down for a week. She responds, "Don't spank me, Biff! Don't spank your little sister! You shouldn't do that!" But the way she says it, it sounds to Biff that she wants him to spank her. He was planning on tickling her, but decides to spank her a few times, not very hard. And then he unlocks the handcuffs and lets her go.

Things are very awkward for them for the next few days. Neither of them discuss what happen. Both avoid each other. He buys a high-end cupcake, leaves it in her room with a note that says, "I'm sorry". Later, he finds a six-pack of expensive beer with the note, "It was my fault. I shouldn't have teased you so much. What you did was understandable."

A few days later, Lorraine calls Biff over to the staircase. She starts modeling another crochet top, being very explicit about it. Biff notices that there are two pairs of handcuffs on the entryway table. He takes that as Lorraine wants him to lock her to the staircase. He does. She begs him to not spank her. He says, "I'm not going to spank you yet. First, I'm going to run my hands all over your body. That's what you want, do you? That's why you keep dressing so provocatively for me. She screams, "Don't do it, Biff! Don't run your hands all over my body!" She struggles as he does, but not very hard. He finds himself getting very excited. When she says, "Don't grope my tits, Biff! That'd be a terrible thing to do to your little sister!" he can't resist feeling her tits. He spanks her again and then lets her go.

Things escalate from there.​
TM thought that story idea was hot, so I started writing the story.

An aside - to me, my writing is normally plot-driven. I come up with a plot and start writing the story. As I’m writing the story, I’ll work out the personality of the characters. A lot of people do what I call character-driven writing - they start with two characters and then work out the plot as those two interact. This story to me was a premise-driven story. I didn’t have the plot worked out, but I had a premise that I liked, and I just followed it to see where it took me.

I didn’t seriously consider “Lorraine” and “Biff” for the character names. I quickly settled on “Karen” for the sister. I struggled with the name of the brother, but eventually settled on “Trevor”.

As I said, this was a premise-driven story, so I didn’t have the plot fully worked out before I started writing. What made sense to me was that it’d take quite a long time for Trevor and Karen to decide to make love, close to the end of the summer. Almost all of my stories end Happy For The Foreseeable Future. If I ended the story after Trevor and Karen made love for the first time, there wouldn’t be enough time left in the summer for it to be a truly HFTFF ending. When I wrote “My Sister Set Me Up on a Blind Date”, many commenters asked for a sequel where Todd and Ashlynne get an apartment together at college. I actually envisioned them breaking up at the end of the summer as switching to getting an apartment together would be really hard to do. I discuss how hard it would be to make that switch in two later stories, “My Cousin Shows Me Around Campus” and “My Cookie-Baking Sister”. So I came up with the idea that Karen and Trevor would break up, date different people and then years later get back together.

But what was I going to do for the them-getting-back-together scene? Have them just fuck again seemed anti-climatic. So I came up with the idea of them having anal sex. I’m not a fan of anal sex in stories. For the most part, I find it ridiculous. I’ve had a doctor stick his finger up my ass, and it was not an enjoyable experience for me. And that was with him wearing a smooth glove with lube on it. I much prefer reading about coitus sex to anal sex. But hey - I’ve already included a bunch of kinks that I don’t enjoy in this story, so why not one more?

Writing is one thing out of many that I do in my free time. About this time, I lost interest in writing. It took a long time for me to finish the rough draft of “Crochet”. My rough drafts are full of typos and errors, so it takes a lot of work to clean it them up to the point their worth sharing with a beta-reader. Writing out a story is a lot of fun for me, but editing is a grind. I wasn’t interested enough in writing to do that grind for “Crochet”. It sat on my hard drive for a long time. The only writing I did was come up with some story ideas.

On the first of May, I had vividly in my head the first scene for a sequel to “My Sister Set Me Up on a Blind Date”. I wrote it down to get it out of my head. I wrote some more the next day. Sadly, the idea I had for the sequel wasn’t really working out so I stopped, but it had gotten me back into writing. A few days later, I started another story, “The Summer Project”. It was a lot of fun write, and I got almost 14K words written over the next two weeks. Eventually, I decided to put that on hold and finish “Crochet”.

One thing I discovered when I picked the story back up was that I didn’t like the name “Trevor”. I replaced it with the name “Mark”. “Mark” made the “Hey Mario!” joke make more sense. I made surprisingly few changes otherwise, considering how long it sat unedited.

Occasionally, I get PM’s asking to be a beta-reader. I got one while I was editing “Crochet”, so I sent them what I had for them to look over. One comment that person made was that I should put a warning at the start of “Crochet” that it contains spanking and light bondage. I struggled with that idea. I could see there was going to be some people who were upset by the spanking, bondage, etc. in “Crochet”. But I could see some readers not reading the story if they were told that it has spanking, bondage, etc. I thought about putting a vague warning at the beginning of the story, but what would that do? I posted to my blog that I was struggling with this issue. Initially, I leaned towards putting in a warning. I felt like I had a strong enough reputation that people would give “Crochet” a try after reading the warning. Then I got a comment on my blog, “I don’t like any of those things either so won’t read that one. Thanks for the heads up.” I’d guess that someone reading my blog is a big fan of my stories, so a big fan wasn’t willing to give the story a try. I decided that I’d lose too many readers if I put a warning at the start of the story.

I didn’t make a lot of changes based after getting feedback from my beta-readers. One beta-reader asked if the grandma really had to die. I feel she did for two reasons. The first is that I like my stories to be emotional roller coasters. Mark has this awesome love making session with Karen, and then his world falls to pieces. The final plunge is his beloved grandma dying. And then the roller coaster starts climbing upward. The second reason is that I feel our society treats our seniors awfully. They have a lot to share, but we’re too busy watching videos and playing games on phones. They’re only going to be there for a short time. I think one of the wonderful things about Mark and Karen’s relationship is that it incidentally brings them much closer to their grandma and lets her share all of this knowledge which would have been lost otherwise. But based on that comment, I changed Mark and Karen from borrowing money from their parents to buy a house to using their inheritance and added the ambiguous comment from their grandma.

Minor stories about the story
* When I was doing research for “My Lingerie-Loving Sister Moves In”, I came across one spectacular bra that I thought was too hard to describe, so I didn’t use it. I decided to use that bra in “A Week at the Lake with My Sister”, but I felt like the description was confusing and unerotic, and I took it out. The top Karen is wearing when she asks Mark to spank her for the first time is the crochet version of it
* When I was doing research for “My Lingerie-Loving Sister Moves In”, I came across a red bikini that had a zipper pull in the center of the top. That became another crochet top
* A friend sent me a picture of a sexy Harry Potter costume. That became Karen’s outfit for the first time they made love
* I didn’t have any ideas for what the crochet outfit should be for when Karen and Mark got together. Karen wouldn’t have the time or the privacy to make a sexy crochet top. I had seen a picture of a woman wearing just an apron, and I thought of that. I felt like it worked great for that scene
* Karen is loosely based on Hayden Panettiere of “Bring It On: All or Nothing”. I really didn’t do much with that fact that she was so short. To me, the fact that she was short helped explain why she was overlooked by guys

What happens next?
I think the story lays out pretty well what’s going to happen for the next year or so

I’m looking for beta-readers
Tell me what you think of my stories before I publish them. I’m looking particularly for female ones. I promise to not hit on you - I just want your perspective

Last edited:
I looked at your blog entry about your upcoming story. Based upon what you wrote about certain elements being a surprise in the story, and the surprise being part of the pleasure of the story, I think you made the right call about no warnings. If some readers are so thin-skinned that they will be unpleasantly surprised, that's their problem.

One of the pleasures of a good story is the unexpected. Flagging everything takes away from that.

I looked at your blog entry about your upcoming story. Based upon what you wrote about certain elements being a surprise in the story, and the surprise being part of the pleasure of the story, I think you made the right call about no warnings. If some readers are so thin-skinned that they will be unpleasantly surprised, that's their problem.

One of the pleasures of a good story is the unexpected. Flagging everything takes away from that.
After you read the story (I hope you intend to read it), let me know if you still think that.

This tale was totally engaging

It's rare for me to take in longer stories in one sitting, I find it difficult to read online longer tales (not like paperbacks), but this one had me engaged from the beginning.

The characters you created, and the interplay between them, really smacked of reality with the way they bantered back and forth. The "hidden yet obvious" meanings of their dialogue was fun and enjoyable.

Thank you for sharing this tale, I don't believe I have read any of your other missives yet, but will do so over the next few days, as I enjoyed your style in this piece.

5/5

Back