Extended Author's Notes for "Carpooling With My Sister"

8letters

Writing
The inspiration for this story was an article I read about the luggage company Away and how the customer service reps were expected to work ridiculously long hours. My incest stories usually involve the couple being isolated for some reason. I pretty quickly put together commuting with his sister and working long hours as a way of isolating the main male character (MMC).

Normally, I send a short plot summary of a story I’m considering to my friend TM before I start writing it. Not this time. That makes it hard to recreate how much of the plot I had defined before I started writing, but I think I had all of the plot mapped out before I started. The story has undergone a lot of edits, but the only changes to the plot has been scene additions.

Mia
She changed a lot as I revised the story. She was named “Penny” originally, but I decided that Penny was too close to Ginny and “Penny Jackson” was too close to “Percy Jackson”, the fantasy book series. I like the name “Mia” and I’ve been meaning to use it, so I made the switch. As I wrote the story, I pictured her as a manic pixie dream girl, whose fun, positive attitude carries Jackson through a difficult time.

Mia’s initial description was She was short at 5’3”, thin and had small tits. The former gymnast look, which she was. She was wearing a white blouse and gray skirt that came down to her knees. Very professional looking to me. There was something about that description that bothered. A lot of my stories have the main female character (MFC) be well-endowed, but I try to do that only when it’s important to the plot. Mia’s bust size was unimportant to the story, so I decided to add some variety to my MFC by giving her small tits. I posted on the Author’s Hangout about the above description and all those who posted didn’t care for it. They didn’t like that Jackson was viewing his sister as a sexual object. I was going to change the description to She was 5’3” and slim. The former gymnast look, which she was, but her being a former gymnast never comes up in the story and I decided to emphasize that Jackson thinks of her as very professional. So I went with the what is for me a long initial description.

In my first draft, what broke Nathan and Mia up was that Nathan refused to do his share of the housework. Mia would have to nag him to get him to do the little he did. Finally, Mia told him that if he loved her, he had to show it through doing his share of the housework and he blew her off. Then one of Jackson’s big selling points would be that he was willing to do half the housework when they got an apartment together. When I shared that version with my friend TM, he said, “My one bit of feedback is that I think the disintegration of Penny's relationship is treated a little too casually. Maybe her boyfriend started to get slightly abusive when he felt Penny wasn't living up to expectations, and Penny saw a side of him that he'd carefully hidden previously? Expecting him to help out more with the housework seems pretty tame.” So I changed it.

As is typical for me, I wrote the initial version of the story, did an editing pass, and then did another editing pass where I focused on words I have particular problems with. At that point, it’s ready for me to send to people to get their feedback. I sent the story to another author (Vix_Giovanni) and she gave me some great feedback. I had written the story as a sexual fantasy for me, with Jackson as a shadow version of me. The story is about Jackson’s travails and his eventual happiness. Mia in this version was a fantasy fulfillment character. My takeaway from Vix_Giovanni’s comments was that I need to change Mia into someone equally important to the story as Jackson. I thought Mia had quite a bit of depth in that version of the story, but I decided it wouldn’t be hard to give her a lot more. I had accidentally added a lot of things to the story that I merely had to expand on. The couch was very important to the story, so it made sense to make Mia an amateur home decorator. I added more about Mia’s job and how she was career-oriented, which improved the story as it increased the importance of Jackson driving her to work every day. On the other side, I cut out Jackson ogling Mia early in the story and Mia happily discussing her sex life. And rather than Mia giving Jackson all this help and Jackson offering nothing in return, I added Jackson offering to Mia the three-day weekend that really fit what she enjoyed. I also added some hugs and explained their importance in communicating Mia and Jackson’s growing attraction to each other.

Other changes
After reading my first draft, my friend TM wrote, “It might add to the overall sense of urgency if Jackson and Penny had a fight over something trivial earlier in the week (e.g. Tuesday or Wednesday), but it escalates to the point where Jackson threatens to throw Penny out of the apartment and/or the carpool. His subconscious realizes that Penny is getting too close to him and deliberately tries to sabotage the relationship.” We batted this around for a while, and eventually I wrote the two scenes where Matt tells Jackson about seeing Ginny and then Mia and Jackson have a fight on the drive home.

When I started writing the story, my intention was that Mia and Jackson would declare their love for each other, fuck on the couch, and then say a few more words before I rolled the credits. To me, the fuck on the couch resolved the central conflict of the story. Then I got some feedback and I realized that I hadn’t resolved the other conflict; the one between Jackson and Janice. I added the epilogue to tie that up.

Some thoughts on writing and incest stories
Why it took so long to publish this story
I published “My Crocheting Little Sister” on 6/29/19. It’s taken me over a year to publish another 8letters story (I’ll discuss “The Prodigal Sister”) in a bit. What took me so long? I spent a lot of that time writing stories that I didn’t finish. The first story I started after “My Crocheting Little Sister” was “The Summer Project”. It’s about a guy who spends the summer working with his three females cousins and his sister in a small town. I wrote about seven pages and I wasn't even halfway done. When I start writing a story, there's a huge energy rush initially; I’m on an emotional high as I put the ideas in my head down into words. But at some point, that rush wears off and it's work from then on. I was running out of energy for “The Summer Project”.

As a break, I started on “The Prodigal Sister”. It was to be something very different than my usual stuff - a short stroker. I wrote some on it, and then went back to “The Summer Project”. I got to over eleven pages and exhaustion set in. I was maybe two-thirds done. I started another story at the end of August, “My Mom Competes With My Stepmom”. The title is a good summary of what the story is about. It was a fun story to write, and I written over six pages by the first of October.

And then there was a writing contest announced in the name of a dying author who is popular on LitE’s Authors Hangout. The idea was to take one of his stories and rewrite as your own. That got me on to “Taking My Sister To A Swinging Retreat”. I wrote almost two pages on it by the end of October. I wasn’t feeling in the mood to write. It was tough for me to get myself to write anything. I went back to writing “My Mom Competes With My Stepmom,” but I didn’t make much progress on it.

In January, I returned to “The Prodigal Sister,” finishing it on the eighth. I really wanted to get a story published, and it was a short one. I took a break to start yet another story that was going around and around in my head. This one was tentatively titled “My girlfriend seduces my sister”. And then on 1/13, I started “Carpooling With My Sister”. At this point, I was hopeful of getting four stories published in 2020 as I had several stories partially written. I was making good progress on “Carpooling With My Sister” while “The Prodigal Sister” was going through the editing process. I published “The Prodigal Sister” on 2/24 and finished the first draft of “Carpooling With My Sister” on 3/5.

And then the coronavirus got bad. I was following it pretty closely by the beginning of March. When the NBA suspended their season was when I realized that this was going to be really, really bad. And because of the coronavirus, I lost my privacy to write. And I didn’t feel like writing with my life turned upside down and people dying steadily. It wasn’t until June that I got back to writing. I sent Vix_Giovanni “Carpooling With My Sister” to alpha-read on 6/22. She added comments to the Google Docs version of the story and added her last comment on 7/8. She had a lot of comments and I really appreciate the time she took. It took me weeks to process all the comments she made. I sent the story out to my beta-readers on 8/7. I gave them three weeks to read the story and comment. I got the last feedback from a beta-reader on 8/27. My last beta-reader had focused on how to tighten up my prose. I tend to over explain things, so there were a lot of sentences or phrases that added nothing to the story. He also suggested a lot of improved wordings of my sentences. I’m a bad writer in terms of my first draft is filled with writing mistakes - grammar errors, homophones, misspellings, words left out, stray words, etc. I feel good about that by the time I sent the story to beta-readers, all of that had been cleaned up. Now, the errors were more subtle.

Finally on 9/11, I sent the story to me editor. He had at least one story ahead of mine, so he didn't send it back to me until the 22nd. I submitted it on the 24th.

Last edited:
The inspiration for this story was an article I read about the luggage company Away and how the customer service reps were expected to work ridiculously long hours. My incest stories usually involve the couple being isolated for some reason. I pretty quickly put together commuting with his sister and working long hours as a way of isolating the main male character (MMC).

Normally, I send a short plot summary of a story I’m considering to my friend TM before I start writing it. Not this time. That makes it hard to recreate how much of the plot I had defined before I started writing, but I think I had all of the plot mapped out before I started. The story has undergone a lot of edits, but the only changes to the plot has been scene additions.

Mia
She changed a lot as I revised the story. She was named “Penny” originally, but I decided that Penny was too close to Ginny and “Penny Jackson” was too close to “Percy Jackson”, the fantasy book series. I like the name “Mia” and I’ve been meaning to use it, so I made the switch. As I wrote the story, I pictured her as a manic pixie dream girl, whose fun, positive attitude carries Jackson through a difficult time.

Mia’s initial description was She was short at 5’3”, thin and had small tits. The former gymnast look, which she was. She was wearing a white blouse and gray skirt that came down to her knees. Very professional looking to me. There was something about that description that bothered. A lot of my stories have the main female character (MFC) be well-endowed, but I try to do that only when it’s important to the plot. Mia’s bust size was unimportant to the story, so I decided to add some variety to my MFC by giving her small tits. I posted on the Author’s Hangout about the above description and all those who posted didn’t care for it. They didn’t like that Jackson was viewing his sister as a sexual object. I was going to change the description to She was 5’3” and slim. The former gymnast look, which she was, but her being a former gymnast never comes up in the story and I decided to emphasize that Jackson thinks of her as very professional. So I went with the what is for me a long initial description.

In my first draft, what broke Nathan and Mia up was that Nathan refused to do his share of the housework. Mia would have to nag him to get him to do the little he did. Finally, Mia told him that if he loved her, he had to show it through doing his share of the housework and he blew her off. Then one of Jackson’s big selling points would be that he was willing to do half the housework when they got an apartment together. When I shared that version with my friend TM, he said, “My one bit of feedback is that I think the disintegration of Penny's relationship is treated a little too casually. Maybe her boyfriend started to get slightly abusive when he felt Penny wasn't living up to expectations, and Penny saw a side of him that he'd carefully hidden previously? Expecting him to help out more with the housework seems pretty tame.” So I changed it.

As is typical for me, I wrote the initial version of the story, did an editing pass, and then did another editing pass where I focused on words I have particular problems with. At that point, it’s ready for me to send to people to get their feedback. I sent the story to another author (Vix_Giovanni) and she gave me some great feedback. I had written the story as a sexual fantasy for me, with Jackson as a shadow version of me. The story is about Jackson’s travails and his eventual happiness. Mia in this version was a fantasy fulfillment character. My takeaway from Vix_Giovanni’s comments was that I need to change Mia into someone equally important to the story as Jackson. I thought Mia had quite a bit of depth in that version of the story, but I decided it wouldn’t be hard to give her a lot more. I had accidentally added a lot of things to the story that I merely had to expand on. The couch was very important to the story, so it made sense to make Mia an amateur home decorator. I added more about Mia’s job and how she was career-oriented, which improved the story as it increased the importance of Jackson driving her to work every day. On the other side, I cut out Jackson ogling Mia early in the story and Mia happily discussing her sex life. And rather than Mia giving Jackson all this help and Jackson offering nothing in return, I added Jackson offering to Mia the three-day weekend that really fit what she enjoyed. I also added some hugs and explained their importance in communicating Mia and Jackson’s growing attraction to each other.

Other changes
After reading my first draft, my friend TM wrote, “It might add to the overall sense of urgency if Jackson and Penny had a fight over something trivial earlier in the week (e.g. Tuesday or Wednesday), but it escalates to the point where Jackson threatens to throw Penny out of the apartment and/or the carpool. His subconscious realizes that Penny is getting too close to him and deliberately tries to sabotage the relationship.” We batted this around for a while, and eventually I wrote the two scenes where Matt tells Jackson about seeing Ginny and then Mia and Jackson have a fight on the drive home.

When I started writing the story, my intention was that Mia and Jackson would declare their love for each other, fuck on the couch, and then say a few more words before I rolled the credits. To me, the fuck on the couch resolved the central conflict of the story. Then I got some feedback and I realized that I hadn’t resolved the other conflict; the one between Jackson and Janice. I added the epilogue to tie that up.

Some thoughts on writing and incest stories
Why it took so long to publish this story
I published “My Crocheting Little Sister” on 6/29/19. It’s taken me over a year to publish another 8letters story (I’ll discuss “The Prodigal Sister”) in a bit. What took me so long? I spent a lot of that time writing stories that I didn’t finish. The first story I started after “My Crocheting Little Sister” was “The Summer Project”. It’s about a guy who spends the summer working with his three females cousins and his sister in a small town. I wrote about seven pages and I wasn't even halfway done. When I start writing a story, there's a huge energy rush initially; I’m on an emotional high as I put the ideas in my head down into words. But at some point, that rush wears off and it's work from then on. I was running out of energy for “The Summer Project”.

As a break, I started on “The Prodigal Sister”. It was to be something very different than my usual stuff - a short stroker. I wrote some on it, and then went back to “The Summer Project”. I got to over eleven pages and exhaustion set in. I was maybe two-thirds done. I started another story at the end of August, “My Mom Competes With My Stepmom”. The title is a good summary of what the story is about. It was a fun story to write, and I written over six pages by the first of October.

And then there was a writing contest announced in the name of a dying author who is popular on LitE’s Authors Hangout. The idea was to take one of his stories and rewrite as your own. That got me on to “Taking My Sister To A Swinging Retreat”. I wrote almost two pages on it by the end of October. I wasn’t feeling in the mood to write. It was tough for me to get myself to write anything. I went back to writing “My Mom Competes With My Stepmom,” but I didn’t make much progress on it.

In January, I returned to “The Prodigal Sister,” finishing it on the eighth. I really wanted to get a story published, and it was a short one. I took a break to start yet another story that was going around and around in my head. This one was tentatively titled “My girlfriend seduces my sister”. And then on 1/13, I started “Carpooling With My Sister”. At this point, I was hopeful of getting four stories published in 2020 as I had several stories partially written. I was making good progress on “Carpooling With My Sister” while “The Prodigal Sister” was going through the editing process. I published “The Prodigal Sister” on 2/24 and finished the first draft of “Carpooling With My Sister” on 3/5.

And then the coronavirus got bad. I was following it pretty closely by the beginning of March. When the NBA suspended their season was when I realized that this was going to be really, really bad. And because of the coronavirus, I lost my privacy to write. And I didn’t feel like writing with my life turned upside down and people dying steadily. It wasn’t until June that I got back to writing. I sent Vix_Giovanni “Carpooling With My Sister” to alpha-read on 6/22. She added comments to the Google Docs version of the story and added her last comment on 7/8. She had a lot of comments and I really appreciate the time she took. It took me weeks to process all the comments she made. I sent the story out to my beta-readers on 8/7. I gave them three weeks to read the story and comment. I got the last feedback from a beta-reader on 8/27. My last beta-reader had focused on how to tighten up my prose. I tend to over explain things, so there were a lot of sentences or phrases that added nothing to the story. He also suggested a lot of improved wordings of my sentences. I’m a bad writer in terms of my first draft is filled with writing mistakes - grammar errors, homophones, misspellings, words left out, stray words, etc. I feel good about that by the time I sent the story to beta-readers, all of that had been cleaned up. Now, the errors were more subtle.

Finally on 9/11, I sent the story to me editor. He had at least one story ahead of mine, so he didn't send it back to me until the 22nd. I submitted it on the 24th.

I am looking forward to reading your latest stories.
I edited a few stories for you a few years back, it was great working with you!

gunter99 / Jack

I am looking forward to reading your latest stories.
I edited a few stories for you a few years back, it was great working with you!
You did, and I enjoyed working with you. You were the inspiration for my best story, "My European Summer Vacation". Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you the story I'm working on.

Thank you

Thank you, I very much enjoyed reading about your writing process and how you had improved the story. And a very enjoyable story with rich characters.

Back