dividing a long story up into separate pages

robertjohn

Virgin
I am currently writing a story which is turning out longer than I originally thought. I have noticed that when people publish a long story it gets divided onto several pages, with links at the bottom to each of the other pages. Does this happen automatically when you submit the story e.g the software decides where each new page starts ? Or can the author choose where in the text each new page begins. Is there a maximum number of lines or words per page ?

Any help appreciated.

When published, Lit will automatically paginate the story leaving the navigation links at the bottom of each page

When published, Lit will automatically paginate the story leaving the navigation links at the bottom of each page
Oh, OK thanks. I have put headings onto various sections and wondered whether you could match each of them to a new page. But no problem. Thanks for your help.

Oh, OK thanks. I have put headings onto various sections and wondered whether you could match each of them to a new page. But no problem. Thanks for your help.
No, you can't predict exactly when a page will break. My rule of thumb is one Lit page is around 3750 words, but the system chooses the exact point.

What you do need to do is following consistent titling:

Story Title
Story Title Ch.02
Story Title Ch.03

This would work too:

Story Title - Anna
Story Title - Barbie
Story Title - Charley

The chaptering works on an alphanumeric sort sequence

Just to be clear, there are two ways to publish a long story.

One way is to submit it as a single submission. The longest single story I'm aware of is The Preacher Man by hammingbyrd7. It's 46 lit pages long. It's divided into chapters by chapter titles included in the text, but the Lit pagination is based on word count without regard to the chapter headings.

The other way is to submit each chapter individually, giving them titles like "My Sexy Series Ch. 01." The collection of chapters is called a "series", and the rules are given here. This is the way that most authors use.

Back