Showing the story length

rdodger

Occasional Writer
Given the expressed preferences of a number of posters that longer stories are more desirable (and the rude comments from some people about what they consider inadequate story length), would it be a difficult feature to add word length to the New Stories page and the Author Stories pages (basically anywhere there's a list of stories to choose from)? I can't tell where to post this.

I can't understand why this isn't already done and a number of other authors that I have talked with can't disagree.

How many times do you click on a story and find that it's 50k words and think "Damn, I was hoping to read this in the next half hour before I go to work" and then close the tab? If the word count was listed right next to the score then the views stat would be more accurate and t here would be less downvotes that all the authors seem to hate so much.

It also sounds like something that could be coded and tested inside of an hour.

I definitely concur. As a reader I have no interest at all in extremely short stories (especially the recent spate of 750 word ones), and I'd like to be able to tell at a quick glance if a story is even worth clicking on.

Having lengths appear on an author's story page could also be a helpful (if not essential) metric for assessing the output of an author. Is this someone who constantly pumps out shorter pieces, consistently longer ones, or a mix of both?

I'm ready to pump out very long piece, but lit doesn't seem to be interested in the first chapter I tried to publish, even after two somewhat successful submissions. WTF?

I'm ready to pump out very long piece, but lit doesn't seem to be interested in the first chapter I tried to publish, even after two somewhat successful submissions. WTF?
We need more info than that. Is it just a long pending time, or was it kicked back for rules violations?

This is #2 on my wish list of features here. And certainly the easiest to implement.

I definitely concur. As a reader I have no interest at all in extremely short stories (especially the recent spate of 750 word ones), and I'd like to be able to tell at a quick glance if a story is even worth clicking on.

Having lengths appear on an author's story page could also be a helpful (if not essential) metric for assessing the output of an author. Is this someone who constantly pumps out shorter pieces, consistently longer ones, or a mix of both?
I agree, I usually click on the story, and there (most of the time) is a display of word #s. If you ask for tags the number goes off.

Back