Disney has quit playing

"The entertainment giant’s request came as a district employee said in a deposition that the takeover of the district’s board by DeSantis’ appointees last year, and its subsequent politicization, has caused around 50 of its 370 employees to leave. The board has a scheduled monthly meeting Wednesday.

“There is a very, very, very politically motivated board, and I know we try not to acknowledge that, but that is a huge reason why a lot of people are leaving,” Erin O’Donnell, the district’s public records administrator, said in a deposition, sections of which were filed in court last week. “Other people may have had their own issues with leadership ... but a lot of people have left just due to the entire shakeup of the district.” "

"O’Donnell’s partial deposition in the state court case was filed as part of Disney’s arguments that the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District and the governor’s office have been dragging their feet in producing requested documents. In its request for a delay, Disney argued that it needs another six months to prepare for filing a motion since it hasn’t gotten the documents in a timely manner. "

"In court papers, Disney said DeSantis’ office hadn’t produced a single requested document and “relied on excuses that are as inconsistent as they are unbelievable.” Nick Meros, an attorney for the governor’s office, said Tuesday that his office doesn’t comment on pending litigation. In an email to Disney attorneys, filed in court papers, he said Disney’s requests were “broad and unwieldy.”"

https://apnews.com/article/disney-desantis-florida-lgbtq-7951542e5594514cecf6b1aba820f788

I'll say it again, I don't like Disney for a lot of reasons, but I hope they make mousemeat out of Ronnie.

"Under the terms of Wednesday's settlement agreement, Disney lets stand a determination by the board of DeSantis-appointees that the comprehensive plan approved by the Disney supporters before the takeover are null and void. Disney also agrees that a development agreement and restrictive covenants passed before the takeover are also not valid, according to the settlement terms.

Instead, a comprehensive plan from 2020 will be used with the new board able to make changes to it, and the agreement suggests Disney and the new board will negotiate a new development agreement in the near future."

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainmen...uit-disney-florida-gov-ron-desantis-108552678

I'm not sure I understand this. The Mouse seems to be capitulating in full.

i'm guessing a lot depends on what that 2020 plan entails and other details not being spoken about in the article but hinted at under the umbrella of a 'new development agreement'.

disney has to be getting something out of the whole deal that "serves the interests of all parties by enabling significant continued investment and the creation of thousands of direct and indirect jobs and economic opportunity in the state”

it could be that the arrangement is restricted by disney not speaking openly about it, about what team desantis had to concede in order to reach this state of play.

"Under the terms of Wednesday's settlement agreement, Disney lets stand a determination by the board of DeSantis-appointees that the comprehensive plan approved by the Disney supporters before the takeover are null and void. Disney also agrees that a development agreement and restrictive covenants passed before the takeover are also not valid, according to the settlement terms.

Instead, a comprehensive plan from 2020 will be used with the new board able to make changes to it, and the agreement suggests Disney and the new board will negotiate a new development agreement in the near future."

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainmen...uit-disney-florida-gov-ron-desantis-108552678

Disney rolled over because they realized a lot of things weren't as Disney tried to imagineer them to be. The coming BOD takeover by Peltz and Trian along with the loss of revenue/closures of various Disney entities only underscored that.

I do believe the settlement will prevent DeSantis and the others from suing Disney for their personal legal fees in defending from the lawsuit but I'm not positive because those details aren't being reported on. If so that's probably the only "win" in there for Disney.

Disney rolled over because they realized a lot of things weren't as Disney tried to imagineer them to be. The coming BOD takeover by Peltz and Trian along with the loss of revenue/closures of various Disney entities only underscored that.

I do believe the settlement will prevent DeSantis and the others from suing Disney for their personal legal fees in defending from the lawsuit but I'm not positive because those details aren't being reported on. If so that's probably the only "win" in there for Disney.
While I think its obvious how this played out has more to do with your hate than my love but I must tip my hat at least short term. We should see where this is in a year or two though cus hating on LGBT isn't gonna get you so far. Dark Brandon is here.

So the development plan (2020) Disney had in place prior to the new board gets implemented. Both side save a bunch of lawyers bills. Desantis gets to keep his board.

Might be the best outcome for both sides.

Desantis ROCKS. The Biden admin AND the other republicans could take a Lesson from Desantis and Abbot.

Desantis ROCKS. The Biden admin AND the other republicans could take a Lesson from Desantis and Abbot.
What, exactly did DeSantis do? He got into a public spat with the largest employer, spent a ton of tax payers money on lawyers, and won what, exactly?

"Under the terms of the settlement, Disney agreed not to challenge the oversight board's view that the land use plan adopted by the previous board, in the waning days of its oversight of Walt Disney World, is invalid.
That would leave a plan adopted in 2020 as the working blueprint for the Orlando theme parks and retail district. Disney also agreed to drop a lawsuit over access to public records.
Members of the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District approved the settlement at a meeting on Wednesday. The agreement was reached after the departures of board chairman Martin Garcia and the district's administrator, Glen Gilzean.
https://www.reuters.com/legal/florida-governor-disney-reach-settlement-ap-reports-2024-03-27/

Back