Disappointed

DoctorSmith8

Really Really Experienced
I find it disappointing that the story approval process seems to reject short stories. I go to great lengths to pack the most content into the smallest space. I've had multiple story rejections saying it's too short. For those of us with limited attention spans, short is more enjoyable. It would be nice for Literotica to understand this.

Try Medium; the average story length is a two-minute read. That's for slow readers.

750 words is the official minimum, which is why we have annual 750 word events.
One author here (no longer, alas) used to collect 50 word stories into a 750 word collection.

Short stories can be good, but a lot of readers get frustrated with anything less than about 5000 words.

I find it disappointing that the story approval process seems to reject short stories. I go to great lengths to pack the most content into the smallest space. I've had multiple story rejections saying it's too short. For those of us with limited attention spans, short is more enjoyable. It would be nice for Literotica to understand this.
How short, exactly, are your submissions?

750 words is the official minimum, which is why we have annual 750 word events.
One author here (no longer, alas) used to collect 50 word stories into a 750 word collection.

Short stories can be good, but a lot of readers get frustrated with anything less than about 5000 words.
I was gonna mention the same thing. I also have a short attention span, so prefer shorter stores…

Anyway, FEB is the 750 word challenge. Might be good if you want to work on some of your stories.

OP, consider taking it as a badge of honour to be refused.

Oh, and enjoyment of short stories is in no way necessarily linked to having a short attention span.

The editor(s)...at least one of them...is a bot. Pretty damned lazy, if you ask me. I got a rejection that made zero sense and I know WHY it was rejected and the "why" totally screams BOT!

The 'editor(s)' is just one person dealing with all the many submissions, and she probably does have some automated checkers to help her.

The editor(s)...at least one of them...is a bot. Pretty damned lazy, if you ask me. I got a rejection that made zero sense and I know WHY it was rejected and the "why" totally screams BOT!
The first rejection notice very probably is automated.

If you want to get your story published on Lit though, there's not much point coming here with a bitch about laziness. What you need to do is address the rejection notice, resubmit the story, and see how it goes next time. Only you can do this, none of us here can do that for you.

I would say probably around 500. But just adding a bunch of fluff to get it up to the 750 seems weird.
It bears repeating: 750-word minimum, or it isn't considered for publishing. That's life. That's the rule. Laurel, the ruler makes the rules. We who wish to publish here follow the rule or rules. :whistle:

So, not so weird. When I've written for those 750-word writing events, I get comments on nearly every story that it is too short. Hell - it says in the event 750 words; that's the 'rule.'

I did a thing here on one of these threads. 13 words. Somebody said it told a whole sex comedy.

It bears repeating: 750-word minimum, or it isn't considered for publishing. That's life. That's the rule. Laurel, the ruler makes the rules. We who wish to publish here follow the rule or rules. :whistle:

So, not so weird. When I've written for those 750-word writing events, I get comments on nearly every story that it is too short. Hell - it says in the event 750 words; that's the 'rule.'
I guess my own short attention span makes me this way.

The 'editor(s)' is just one person dealing with all the many submissions, and she probably does have some automated checkers to help her.

How is that even possible? How many new stories are submitted here daily? Why are there a myriad of editors to help you edit your story if it gets rejected but only one who decides to accept or reject it?

The myriad are all volunteers who may or may not have expertise and experience to help.

How is that even possible? How many new stories are submitted here daily? Why are there a myriad of editors to help you edit your story if it gets rejected but only one who decides to accept or reject it?
Because she owns the site and that's how she does it.

She should probably learn to delegate a little. There must be writers and editors who have been here for years that she would find trustworthy. Maybe have a few for each category, it can't be fun to wade through stories that you personally don't find arousing.

She should probably learn to delegate a little. There must be writers and editors who have been here for years that she would find trustworthy. Maybe have a few for each category, it can't be fun to wade through stories that you personally don't find arousing.
Literotica recently celebrated its 25th anniversary. She seems to know what she's doing.

I would say probably around 500. But just adding a bunch of fluff to get it up to the 750 seems weird.
Do you have only one story? If you have two, put them together as a collection and that will get you over the threshold. Do they have the same characters? Of so, they can be "Adventures of such and such". The same setting? Then "The shenanigans of N town". The same anything at all that can tie them together?

So let's say she chooses ten people to help her. Every single one of them will have their own opinion about the stories in their category. Let's say I had the romance category. I can guarantee I wouldn't find them all romantic. However another of your mentioned trustworthy writers might think that same story is super romantic. Whose opinion counts the most? Laurel would have to make the final decision, meaning she would have to read the same story two other writers have already gone through.

Thing is, nobody really knows how it's done. General speculation is that some kind of script initially scans new submissions for general errors and guidelines. They're either accepted or excepted. The ones kicked out probably go back to the authors first. Some may be spot checked by Laurel to see how or why. Authors who don't understand the problem and resubmit with questions get a manual review.

Or maybe not.

:: shruggs ::

Looks like you got some useful workarounds. As a noobie here I am encouraged. I have the same attention difficulties myself. My solution it to make my slow reading Really slow. On paper books I take notes, recording the page where new names are introduced. Just saying I feel your pain. But...ya live, ya die.

Back