Claymore and Dagger (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Sam, we're a team. That's what we agreed on." Fiona said, still slightly wounded that he wouldn't have told her before hand.

"I'm sorry, love," Sam sighed, coming to her side. "If it means anythin' to you... we'll probably end up meetin' one o' those Riders tomorrow."

"Is there anything else that you might need to tell me?" Fiona asked, crossing her arms over her chest as Sam came closer to her. "Anything you might thought would have been better off as a secret?"

Sam sat down on the edge of the bed and looked up at her, his hands folded before him as he rested his elbows on his knees. "If y'have a question, ask it. I don' have anythin' else. A' least, nothin' I don' think you already know."

"If you would quit being so thick headed about things, we wouldn't be in situations like this." Fiona commented as he offered to answer her questions.

"What else do you want me to say, Fiona?" Sam asked quietly. "I'm sorry. I'm still gettin' used t'this idea of havin' a partner I can trust with anythin'."

"I want you to trust me, Sam. Without hesitation." Fiona said softly, moving to sit next to him on the edge of the bed. "I know I've broken your trust once before, but you say that we are all past that. Could it be that part of you doesn't want to trust me yet?"

"I don' trust anyone, Fiona," Sam told her softly. "I've never trusted anyone with everythin'. No' my parents 'r my siblings, no' Kayla, no one. There's no one tha' knows everything."

"That's not healthy, Sam." Fiona said as she took one of his large hands in her own and squeezed it. "You'll run down at this rate of you don't have anyone to share that burden."

"Sounds like somethin' my mother would say." Sam leaned over to kiss her cheek. "Jus' try t'be patient with me, love. I'm no' th'sort t'pour his soul out."

"What if I want you to pour your soul out to me?" Fiona asked, glancing at him as he confessed that he was still a work in progress.

"Then yer gonna have to figure out how t'make tha' happen. An' if you do, let me know. 'Cause I sure 'aven't." Sam kissed her before rising to step back over to the desk where he'd left the tray.

Kayla had made sure to send her nephew a selection of warm and hearty food after his long journey by drake to Malmö. If she knew him, he would have traveled at the expense of his own health. The tray had a barley stew and smoked fish. There was also a dessert made with thick pastry, blueberry jam, and cream.

Sam had to smile to himself at how his Aunt Kayla had always taken such good care of him when he visited. She knew that even when he wasn't in a rush, he traveled hard and light as he could. He dished up two plates, bringing one to Fiona. "I don' know if I could say she's better'n Chessie, but Kayla's head cook is one o' the best."

"You can't make me forget I'm mad with food." Fiona teased as she sat cross legged on the bed and took her plate of food. "And we will certainly be discussing how you treat the drakes better than yourself when you travel."

"I'm no' tryin' t'make you forget anythin'," Sam assured her, settling at her side. "An' th'drakes deserve t'be treated well, especially considerin' they've got Elin t'look after."

"You made me eat rations and gave them fresh meat!" Fiona said, looking to Sam with a chuckle. "Love, I am not a soldier."

"You said y'wanted t'be. Best start early," Sam teased back with a little grin. "An' tha' was practically fine dinin' compared t'what I usually go on."

"Well, guess what will be the first thing to change." Fiona said as she leaned over and kissed him. "You're hopeless, Sam."

"I know," he gave her a little smile. "But I wouldn' be any fun if I wasn' a stubborn ox." He ate fairly quickly before putting aside his plate and getting some of his writing supplies out. He was constantly writing and reading letters it seemed. "I'll send ya with a letter on board th'ship home, an explanation fer th'captain. I imagine Invah'll follow you jus' t'make sure yer safe, considerin' there's Imperial ships around."

"I sincerely hope that Roman behaves." Fiona commented as she continued eating. "If he leaps off the ship, I'm sure that Elin would follow. I'm not dragging two drakes out of the water on a sea voyage."

"When I brought 'im over, 'e was jus' restless t'get to you. He should be fine. It's Elin tha' might be trouble on 'er first voyage," Sam murmured, writing out his message quickly. "Kennah ought t'keep 'em in line, though."

"I'll miss you." Fiona said, looking up at him as he paused in his writing. "You have no idea how much I'll miss you, Sam."

When Fiona said that, Sam had to pause and meet her gaze. He set the letter aside to dry and murmured, "It won' be fer long, love. Th'voyage is only three days, an' with th'drakes y'can probably make it from Aberdeen t'Inverness in half a day."

"Does it really matter how long it takes, Sam?" Fiona asked with a shrug of her shoulders as he commented that they wouldn't be apart long. "I'll still miss you. It would be nice to hear that you're going to miss me too."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back