Category Question...

I've seen a few authors[read maybe three, my tenure here] that claimed to have no ill effects of genre jumping their story around, but it's always been advised against doing it. The good thing is if somebody is reading it, they won't need to chase it all over the site, since the connected chapters will be linked in each chapter. Several people have wanted to do it, almost as many who think they want to put something in every single catagory.

I think I've said it before- recently actually, that despite whatevers in the story, the easiest way to make this site work, is to aim and write for a particular catagory and have a major/main theme that trumps anything else that happens that would be "other catagory shit", if it happens. I've made the mistake of writing something without even directly thinking were I was going to put it before and going; well damn, where is this going to go and had to figure out what the main kink plot was or could be and hope for the best, since unlike other sites, this one is bound by catagory

I've seen a few authors[read maybe three, my tenure here] that claimed to have no ill effects of genre jumping their story around, but it's always been advised against doing it. The good thing is if somebody is reading it, they won't need to chase it all over the site, since the connected chapters will be linked in each chapter. Several people have wanted to do it, almost as many who think they want to put something in every single catagory.

I think I've said it before- recently actually, that despite whatevers in the story, the easiest way to make this site work, is to aim and write for a particular catagory and have a major/main theme that trumps anything else that happens that would be "other catagory shit", if it happens. I've made the mistake of writing something without even directly thinking were I was going to put it before and going; well damn, where is this going to go and had to figure out what the main kink plot was or could be and hope for the best, since unlike other sites, this one is bound by catagory
I think that "what category I want to write" thinking probably leads to subpar writing. I get the realities of the category system. But i hate it. I wish it away. Regardless, I come up with a story idea and write it, and only after I've written it do I think about where it goes. Unfortunately the kind of ideas I like to write tend to be multi-category. Make for more interesting stories in my view. But then choosing the category becomes an exercise in finding out where the lovers will exceed the haters even if I know there will be lovers left in the table elsewhere.

I think that "what category I want to write" thinking probably leads to subpar writing. I get the realities of the category system. But i hate it. I wish it away. Regardless, I come up with a story idea and write it, and only after I've written it do I think about where it goes. Unfortunately the kind of ideas I like to write tend to be multi-category. Make for more interesting stories in my view. But then choosing the category becomes an exercise in finding out where the lovers will exceed the haters even if I know there will be lovers left in the table elsewhere.
It can lead to subpar writing, if one is being too methodical about it, I guess. We're kinda on the same accord on how we write. That's why I said aim for a catagory. Not saying other catagory things can't be there, just to not have them overshadow what it's supposed to be- some catagories are even more receptive to this than others, disreguarding what the audience might like or prefer. An incest story can have bdsm in it, or one of them might hook up with, or they have a threesome with another person, but it's still no question it's an incest story that clearly belongs in incest without need of thinking should it or could it go in bdsm, interracial, or erotic coupling, because those things are there, but they aren't pushing up on what it's supposed to be as a whole.

Even then... if somebody isn't just aiming, but shooting for a catagory, doesn't really mean the story will be subpar. Incest is another example of that and so is CD/T.

I agree, and I write the same way.

Update: the chapter got approved. It was originally in T&C, but it got moved to Fetish (in spite of every other chapter besides the Group Sex one being in BDSM).

Doesn't seem like the webmasters care about category-hopping.
Laurel will occasionally move a story or chapter to a category where she thinks it will run best. I don't think many writers complain when she does so.

Back